Photo
- - - - -

Help

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 lobo11

• 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

I'm not sure this is posted in right place or not, sorry if it's not. I am currently taking a 99% pure casule, has COA. I just wanted to know if I can say the name so people can give me yeas or nays, can I, thanks. I'm no promoter, just new.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:15 PM

I'm not sure this is posted in right place or not, sorry if it's not. I am currently taking a 99% pure casule, has COA. I just wanted to know if I can say the name so people can give me yeas or nays, can I, thanks. I'm no promoter, just new.

Three brands I know of in capsules at 99%: 1) Revg---, 2) MegaR---- and 3)Biof----.

One and two, are what they say judging by their suppliers. Three very probably is OK, even if he has changed supplier since he visited China a year ago. If it is another name, you can say it for informational purposes.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lobo11

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

Three brands I know of in capsules at 99%: 1) Revg---, 2) MegaR---- and 3)Biof----.

One and two, are what they say judging by their suppliers. Three very probably is OK, even if he has changed supplier since he visited China a year ago. If it is another name, you can say it for informational purposes.

#4 lobo11

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:23 PM

Thanks

#5 Crepulance

• 269 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

Don't let your chin hit the floor too hard, but for some crazy reason maxwatt forgot to mention the brand Longevinex... You won't be hearing a lot about it on this site, but you will pretty much everywhere else. I don't have a preference just yet, but wanted to let you be aware of it's existence.

Crep

Thanks

#6 lobo11

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

Don't let your chin hit the floor too hard, but for some crazy reason maxwatt forgot to mention the brand Longevinex... You won't be hearing a lot about it on this site, but you will pretty much everywhere else. I don't have a preference just yet, but wanted to let you be aware of it's existence.

Crep

Thanks

I take MegaR, not messing with Longevinex, thanks.

#7 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

Could you please explain why, "you are not messing with the longivinex" I thought that sounded odd, although you must have your reasons.

#8 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:58 AM

There is one other company other than the three Maxwatt mentions, I believe it is...

4) eResver----.

These are the only companies are the only ones that offer 99% Trans-resveratrol.

I do not see any others releasing a COA with 99% purity, or have it on their label.

Correction:
Max, I think your number 3 is incorrect. I only see the label state 98% even though they state 99% on the main website, so... until they change the label and get their advertising straight, I would take them off the short list.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 19 February 2009 - 06:51 AM.

#9 Marco P.

• 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

Actually it is all a lot more complicated than this.

The jury is still out regarding whether megadoses of Resveratrol have any negative side effects. There are indications that it may effect estrogen in women and there are also reports of increased joint pain experienced by individuals with arthritis
and/or fibromyalgia. There are of course also reports of Resveratrol decreasing pain in some individuals!

Additionally, Consumer Labs, in their testing of Resveratrol supplements gave a thumbs up to a number of supplements not mentioned here.

Finally, the jury is out on Longevinex but is also out on all of these supplements and Dr. Joseph Maroon's new book, The Longevity Factor, which takes an in depth look at Resveratrol, includes Longevinex equally with RevGenetics and Biotivia.

In the absence of ANY conclusive data most cautious practitioners suggest not leaping into using megadoses and perhaps trying lower doses first to see how Resveratrol effects you individually.

Thanks.

Marco

#10 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Marco,

Dr. Sinclair mentioned 1000 bottles worth of resveratrol for benefits back in April 2008 with Barbara Walters, and again this last time on 60 minutes. He hasn't changed the amount he feels is worth while, and the interviews were at least 10 months apart.

I believe he is the foremost researcher on this subject, so you can't simply do away with his comments about how much resveratrol would provide healthy benefits.

In regards to Dr. Maroon, I was there in Orlando at the A4M meet when he was comparing all brands of resveratrol before publishing his book. Because of the additional tests that Sardi's company made when he was using licaps and our own company doing Sirt1 tests, it was made very clear that Dr. Maroon preferred that others needed to have their resveratrol tested further.

Regarding the Term Megadose...
250mg is not a megadose, 300mg is not a mega dose, 500mg is not a mega dose. You can even look to see if this is a fact in your favorite resveratrol website. So instead of saying Megadose, why don't you state what you believe a mega-dose to be? That way people will be clear as to what you personally consider a mega-dose is. Afterall a mega dose is very different for different people. If you take TheFirstImmortal and ask him what a megadose is... he will likely say it's anything above 5 grams a day. On the other hand, other companies that make only 100mg resveratrol capsules will always push that anything above 500mg is a megadose... again above 500mg.

So Marco, what is a mega dose to you?

A

Edited by Mind, 20 February 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#11 Crepulance

• 269 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:23 AM

Ahh marco, a fresh voice of reason. Thanks for jumping in, try not to get brainwashed too quickly here. There's a lot of smart minds, yet they share one mindset and are pretty hardpressed to look at things from a different perspective. I have of recent, been leaning towards your thinking. Since there are studies that show the possible bad side effects from high dose, it seems safer, for the time being anyway, to stick with low dose. I still don't know what dose I will stay at, but I definitely have been thinking this as of late.

Crep

Actually it is all a lot more complicated than this.

The jury is still out regarding whether megadoses of Resveratrol have any negative side effects. There are indications that it may effect estrogen in women and there are also reports of increased joint pain experienced by individuals with arthritis
and/or fibromyalgia. There are of course also reports of Resveratrol decreasing pain in some individuals!

Additionally, Consumer Labs, in their testing of Resveratrol supplements gave a thumbs up to a number of supplements not mentioned here.

Finally, the jury is out on Longevinex but is also out on all of these supplements and Dr. Joseph Maroon's new book, The Longevity Factor, which takes an in depth look at Resveratrol, includes Longevinex equally with RevGenetics and Biotivia.

In the absence of ANY conclusive data most cautious practitioners suggest not leaping into using megadoses and perhaps trying lower doses first to see how Resveratrol effects you individually.

Thanks.

Marco

#12 Crepulance

• 269 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:35 AM

Anthony, and I know this is completely counterintuitive to comments I've made in the past about Dr. Sinclair, but he is invested in the product, and more=more. Just because someone is the leading researcher in the field, does not necessarily mean his findings are impervious to fault. There are many researchers in the top of their field who have created a product that goes on to cause all sorts of horrible diseases as side effects.

I believe there can easily be the possibility that he is lauding high doses because that's what srt1720 will be. But that is synthetic, and there is reasonable belief that can modify the compound to negate any bad side effects that may be encountered while taking high doses of the natural resveratrol (what we all buy).

I would call anything above 350 megadose. I only call it this because this seems to be the boundary where you see an initial differentiation from what is conclusively regarded as small dose (100mg). You can get silly and debate the semantics of the word "megadose" and say since firstimm is taking so much, etc. etc. But you can also say someone took 1000 grams, and then we should just refer to everything as small dose?

megadose, big dose, large dose. Call it whatever you want, but if you want to just distinguish between small and big, I'd say anything above 350 is "big", I'll leave the piddling of the word mega to you guys.

Crep

Marco,

Dr. Sinclair mentioned 1000 bottles worth of resveratrol for benefits back in April 2008 with Barbara Walters, and again this last time on 60 minutes. He hasn't changed the amount he feels is worth while, and the interviews were at least 10 months apart. ...

instead of saying Megadose, why don't you state what you believe a mega-dose to be? That way people will be clear as to what you personally consider a mega-dose is. Afterall a mega dose is very different for different people.

Edited by Michael, 03 June 2009 - 01:07 AM.
Excessive quotation

#13 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

Sounds good,

looks like we need a poll:
(And thank for keeping your comments brief Crep)

So far:

Crep thinks a megadose is anything above 350mg

Anymore people want to chime in?

Cheers
A

#14 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

Sounds good,

looks like we need a poll:
(And thank for keeping your comments brief Crep)

So far:

Crep thinks a megadose is anything above 350mg

Anymore people want to chime in?

Cheers
A

Given what I have seen from dozens of studies I have read, test results of sirtuin activation, and resv plasma levels at various doses and various forms of administration here is my take:

350mg is enough to provide some antioxidant benefit but not remotely enough to provide sirtuin activation and mitochondrial enhancement.

I take a gram a day of 99% in a formula to increase bioavailability and feel like I am erring on the of safety with the supplement by a good bit.

#15 Marco P.

• 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

Good point Anthony re the definition of megadose. But frankly I do think it varies for each of us and I don't think we know what it is in any objective way. If a Revgenetic dosage regimen were recommended to me by a 1st rate holistic MD (not always an oxymoron :-))
I'd try it. But for my adult daughter with a family history of breast cancer I'd recommend a low dosage with the jury still being out re the effect on estrogen. And my wife had a negative rheumatoid response (she has arthritis and fibromyalgia) to a daily 250mm dose of Bioforte. I also had a negative response with significant joint pain during the week I took the Bioforte.

I don't plan to throw it out, but will now first experiment with a lower dosage.

There is always a risk involved in trying substances that have not examined side effects over many years, albeit often a risk worth taking.
I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing nor writing in this forum if I didn't think Resveratrol was worth the risk.
But I think any of us would be foolish to be true believers and no less foolish to very carefully figure out what works best for our own bodies.

So frankly I don't know what the line is for a megadose and won't enter that sweepstakes. Sure 2 grams is and sure 100 isn't. But right now I'll stick with finding out where the line is for me and my wife.

And let the good research go forth and multiply :-)

Marco

Marco,
Dr. Sinclair mentioned 1000 bottles worth of resveratrol for benefits back in April 2008 with Barbara Walters, and again this last time on 60 minutes. He hasn't changed the amount he feels is worth while, and the interviews were at least 10 months apart. ...

250mg is not a megadose, 300mg is not a mega dose, 500mg is not a mega dose. You can even look to see if this is a fact in your favorite resveratrol website. So instead of saying Megadose, why don't you state what you believe a mega-dose to be? That way people will be clear as to what you personally consider a mega-dose is.

Edited by Michael, 03 June 2009 - 11:45 AM.
Excessive quotation

#16 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

Hi Marco,

can you tell us what color the powder is in the product that your wife used? It will certainly tell us if it's close to pure or may have other things in it that may have caused the issue.

Regarding megadose:

Crep says anything over 350mg is a megadose
Mikeinnaples says he is conservative with 1000mg, and that a megadose is likely higher than this amount.
Marco tried 250mg of something that may not be pure, and thinks 250mg may not be good because of it.

I hope more folks chime in.

thanks
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 20 February 2009 - 04:27 PM.

#17 Marco P.

• 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Anthony:

I would describe the color as a dark brown, which is what it should be.

What I do not want is to be part of anything that smacks of a comparison of brands among brands that have been well checked by Consumer Labs and others and are clearly reputable.

The fact is that fibromyalgia itself is a territory that most medical researchers will tell you is still a vastly unknown territory and all sorts of things can aggravate it. To focus on the purity of Bioforte would be a mistake given it's track record.
The match of patient and treatment is often very tricky. No chemical, however excellent, is good for everyone.

BTW, re other entries on this website, my dealings with the Biotavia people have been great. Fast shipment, quick phone responses, etc.

And, again, there are still unknowns re Resveratrol, despite its more than promising track record.

Marco

Hi Marco,

can you tell us what color the powder is in the product that your wife used? It will certainly tell us if it's close to pure or may have other things in it that may have caused the issue.

Regarding megadose:

Mikeinnaples says he is conservative with 1000mg, and that a megadose is likely higher than this amount.
Marco tried 250mg of something that may not be pure, and thinks 250mg may not be good because of it.

thanks
A

#18 Marco P.

• 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

To add one more point Anthony.

I am not saying 250mg. is too much at all.

I am saying that right now given everything I've read and what my body and my wife's body have experienced, it is my judgement that it would be wiser to start with a lower dose.

I do not want to be part of a poll of what is too much or too little for anyone else.

Anyone who comes up with anything approaching a definitive answer on that at this point would be more arrogant than the limits of present research supports.
On the other hand, guesses based on the limited research up to now and tied to different physical conditions and problems would probably be making a nice contribution.

all in my very humble opinion.
after all, what do I know?! :-)

Marco

Hi Marco,

Regarding megadose:

thanks
A

#19 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

I understand how you feel about it, but it's certainly not how I do because I have more customers telling me what dose they take and how it has helped them.

At issue is what folks think is a megadose, a simple poll here to clear things up. If you can't nail what people mean by "megadose", you are not helping people who ask the question.

What is considered a megadose?

On the other side of the coin is purity, many folks here have had issues with low purity resveratrol, so it is pertinent to consider. Why do you want to help obfuscate the issue of purity? Specially if the point you are arguing depends on a large part on the purity of resveratrol. Surely a 20% purity resveratrol has much more different things like emodin that can cause things to happen that a 99% pure supplement.

Help us dissect this, otherwise you are not helping folks who come by and read these posts. Arrogance has nothing to do with it, as you are already are of the opinion that a lower dose is better, but a lower dose of what? Resveratrol, or the other stuff that isn't resveratrol but also found in pills of lower quality?

Look, a while back I was having our scientist do some research on cycloastragenol, I gave him a sample that tested at 2% purity. He told me he could not use it because folks in research (even any student of his) could put major holes into his research by pointing out the issue with the many other impurities in the sample. These impurities could have caused X, Y Or Z events to happen in human cells...and not the cycloastragenol. That is why the studies usually require a high purity level, to consider the study as accurate. In the end we gave him a much higher purity of cycloastragenol to play with.

The point is that purity matters, alot in research. And... It should matter alot to you.

Again, what is the color of the powder in the capsules your wife took?

A

#20 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Marco P said he and his wife were using Bio forte 250, 250 mg of resveratrol. The label states this contains 500 grams of Polygonum cuspidatum extract. Hence it is a 50%extract, which contain as much as 10% emodin, or under 5% if they are of high quality. In addition, there are several anthocyanins as well as physcion, most of which are physiologically active and could be responsible for the adverse effects reported.

#21 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

Marco P said he and his wife were using Bio forte 250, 250 mg of resveratrol. The label states this contains 500 grams of Polygonum cuspidatum extract. Hence it is a 50%extract, which contain as much as 10% emodin, or under 5% if they are of high quality. In addition, there are several anthocyanins as well as physcion, most of which are physiologically active and could be responsible for the adverse effects reported.

The problem, as I see it with current dose information is that it seems only to be coming from Sirtris - and like Crep said, Sirtris has a vested interest in making dosage requirments higher than they actually are - they have to make their products needed. NOT to say this is happening, but for 3 quarters of a billion dollars, it could be happening (i.e. the price GSK paid for Sirtris). My non scientific guess is that different dosages are effective for different ailments and body chemistries - seems pretty intuative?

For what its worth I take between 500mg and 1 gram of 99% resveratrol per day - I do not consider this a mega dose (partly because of what Dr. Sinclair said - as mentioned by Anthony above - and partly because of the very low side effects noted in the Sirtris diabetes studies - at 2.5 and 5 grams, resveratrol was "well tolerated" by the human subjects). I might increase my dosage in the next few weeks as I am bored with my current regimen - it seems to be working as (from outward appearances) I am not aging as fast as my friends - I have been on res for 6 years - Perhaps the Nitro is in my future? That seems to be the most powerful product out there.

#22 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:34 AM

I havent tried all the brands out there, but of the 4 I have tried I think that tween 80 is best tolerated and at a high enough dose to create an effect. If I get any hint of a side I skip a day or 2. I think that purity and micron size are of the utmost importance in oral ingestion as common sense dictates. That being said my opinion is that one capsule daily of any pure product is all that is needed for a person in reasonably good health. Right now we can only go by our individual subjective experiences, a mega-dose for me may not be one for someone else.

#23 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:10 AM

Right now we can only go by our individual subjective experiences, a mega-dose for me may not be one for someone else.

I'm curious about what two people take, and I would appreciate comments on either or both:

1) It is known that Sinclair took 320mg of Longevinex (earlier 40mg version) for his weight (160mg in the morning, 160mg in the evening) for a while before probably taking his own creation. I assume he was going with the 5mg/kilo estimate. The top person may be wrong or not maximizing, but it seems like a good starting point. At the same time, the 500mg Club seemed to start based on 5mg/kg. They were using different makers and seemed to be getting various results.

1.5) Sinclair then helped make the Vittox(?) liquid, and then left...

2) Ray Kurzweil is known to occassionaly focus on his health... I have read that he said/wrote that he takes 400mg a day, divided into two times. He sells a brand himself (I think it was 50% purity) , but I'm not sure what he is taking. He has a team working for him, and I'm sure try to update even if they are in the dark as well.

This is why I stick below 500mg for now, but I am considering switching brands and take 500mg. (If 5mg/kg is a decent estimate, I should be taking 400mg a day.)

I don't think 1000mg is a megadose based on the Sinclair study. But were they using the Glaxo pill? Is that at all comperable to what we take now in terms of dose?

Edited by Holmes, 23 February 2009 - 02:16 AM.

#24 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

Anthony:

I would describe the color as a dark brown, which is what it should be.

'Pure' Resveratrol should be white ....not dark brown. Dark brown is not what you would see in a Res supplement.

#25 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:52 AM

The directions for the product I take say 1 daily, its contains 250 milligrams of micronized Resveratrol and 25 milligrams of lecithin at a micron size of 1.5.. I think that dose is sufficient for me. I dont think I would go over 500mgs of any other product given the existing data and the fact that Im sensitive to emodin.

#26 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

The directions for the product I take say 1 daily, its contains 250 milligrams of micronized Resveratrol and 25 milligrams of lecithin at a micron size of 1.5.. I think that dose is sufficient for me. I dont think I would go over 500mgs of any other product given the existing data and the fact that Im sensitive to emodin.

You aren't going to get much emodin from a 99% product .....you will get significantly more in a 50% product.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#27 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

Thats why Im sticking to the micronized 99% product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users