Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Simon Cowell, cryonicist?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

Simon Cowell: I'm going to freeze my body when I die so I can be brought back to life

Simon Cowell has been humiliating talent show contestants with his caustic comments for years. Now if he gets his way, he could still be tormenting them in the next century.

The television mogul wants to have his body frozen after his death so he can be brought back to life in the future.

He told guests at a private dinner hosted by Prime Minister Gordon Brown: ‘I have decided to freeze myself when I die. You know, cryonics. You pay a lot of money and you get stuck in a deep freeze once you’ve been declared dead.

‘Medical science is bound to work out a way of bringing us back to life in the next century or so, and I want to be available when they do.

I would be doing the nation an invaluable service.’

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

Great news if it is true. Good publicity.

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:22 PM

I'll try to keep the singing to a minimum while being defrosted if he is being done at the same time.

#4 advancedatheist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

I admit I don't know much about the guy. I work with a woman who watches American Idol avidly, so she will recognize his name when I show her the cryonics story tomorrow. Ironically she's the daughter of a celebrity from the past, the bohemian artist and pinstriper Von Dutch.

Depending on whether Cowell follows through with his decision to make cryonics arrangements, his celebrity could work in cryonics' favor. Humans tend to imitate what the alpha males do, and Cowell seems a bit smarter than the average celebrity, at least when it comes to starting and running successful businesses. (The Wikipedia page about him states his net worth as $200 million.)

#5 DavidCookFan

• 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

Simon Cowell: I'm going to freeze my body when I die so I can be brought back to life

Simon Cowell has been humiliating talent show contestants with his caustic comments for years. Now if he gets his way, he could still be tormenting them in the next century.

The television mogul wants to have his body frozen after his death so he can be brought back to life in the future.

He told guests at a private dinner hosted by Prime Minister Gordon Brown: ‘I have decided to freeze myself when I die. You know, cryonics. You pay a lot of money and you get stuck in a deep freeze once you’ve been declared dead.

‘Medical science is bound to work out a way of bringing us back to life in the next century or so, and I want to be available when they do.

I would be doing the nation an invaluable service.’

I thought Simon Cowell was already frozen!!! :) Interesting article!

#6 advancedatheist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:42 PM

I've created a pdf file of Cowell's Playboy interview from a couple years ago, for some background reading.

Also available here:

53.1 kb: http://www.box.net/s.../hrv77ygss1.pdf

Attached Files

#7 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

This is great news. Remember everybody, its not so much a resistence to the meme as it is that we havent gotten the meme fully out there yet. If we drive by with the meme train, many will jump on board.

#8 advancedatheist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

The responses to the Daily Mail story seem pretty negative:

Comments (24)

Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below?

'I have decided to freeze myself when I die'.....And how exactly does he plan on 'doing it himself' when he'll be dead?! ROTFLMAO.
Click to rate Rating 10

- Eily, St. Helier, Jersey, 21/2/2009 16:10

Simon, do us all a favour and do it now!
Click to rate Rating 7

- mr smugs, ROTHERHAM ENGLAND, 21/2/2009 16:25

Oh, God, everybody start praying for power cuts now.
Click to rate Rating 7

- Paul, Milton Keynes, 21/2/2009 16:37

"his body frozen after his death so he can be brought back to life in the future."
So there is actually a heart beating in that body..:-))

In all serioiusness why??

Has he actually looked around to see how badgered the world is today,
as for me I couldn't be hedgehogged.
Click to rate Rating 13

- Paul, Frankfurt Germany, 21/2/2009 17:00

Very interesting and fun, but knowing Simon, I'm sure it was also very tongue-in-cheek. LOL!
Click to rate Rating 10

- Tempe, NYC, USA, 21/2/2009 17:43

I do not think they will be able to melt your ego Simon.
Click to rate Rating 22

- cliff, London U.K., 21/2/2009 17:45

why?
Click to rate Rating 12

- Anon, Surrey, UK, 21/2/2009 18:39

He's a cold fish as it is.
Click to rate Rating 6

- Maggie, Reading, UK, 21/2/2009 18:41

Will they be able to find a freezer big enough for this man's ego?
Click to rate Rating 11

- oldboy, UK, 21/2/2009 18:48

Can you ask Simon if its possible he can do it now . Straight away please.
Click to rate Rating 6

- stu, perth wa, 21/2/2009 19:06

He can freeze what he likes... it will make no difference. His soul can't be frozen and I am sure that will come back in the body of a short and dumpy, tone deaf talent show contestant...
Click to rate Rating 12

- Jennie, Southampton, 21/2/2009 19:48

I'm sure the Prime Minister will have Simon Cowell's advice inscribed on a plaque and hung up in his office, or the toilet
Click to rate Rating 4

- Al, Rodney Bay, St Lucia, 21/2/2009 22:01

As long as they carefully preserve that manly hairy chest of his for the ladeez of future years to stroke and appreciate, all is well.
Click to rate Rating 1

- Alissa, Melbourne, Australia, 21/2/2009 22:34

Mr Cowell's fortune is no doubt well earned, but meaningless to me. As much as I respect him for puting together Il Divo he's going a bit OTT here.

Let himself be frozen after death, no doubt, sent to space because of power cuts on earth only to wake up on the good Starship Enterprise in the 24th century to find out he's broke.
Click to rate Rating (0)

- John Mertl QPM, Mauritius, 21/2/2009 22:49

They would need to hide him well. I know hundreds of non-contestants who will be out looking to pull the plug on his freezer.
Click to rate Rating 6

- Rebecca, Iowa, USA, 21/2/2009 23:44

I expect Cowell imagines himself as the Buck Rogers of the 25th Century. He can forget it. Far in the future (if it is at all impossible he would be revived) I imagine the people there would probably put him in some kind of a zoo along with all the other cryonic people ? Ironic in a sense.
Click to rate Rating 8

- Steve H, Hapton, England, 22/2/2009 1:12

Could you freeze it now please Simon.
Click to rate Rating 5

- Stan Still, UK, 22/2/2009 1:19

Please God don't let him do it!!!!!
Click to rate Rating 10

- Brian Ex-Pat, Spain, 22/2/2009 1:27

The quicker he gets on with it the better...
Click to rate Rating 6

- Mark, Chorley, UK, 22/2/2009 1:36

Another good reason why I want to be cremated. I won't have to suffer "old bighead" in a future existence.
Click to rate Rating 5

- Dirk Jonas, Pontypandy, Wales, 22/2/2009 1:49

What possible use would the people of the future have for Simon Cowell?
Click to rate Rating 10

- mr t, portsmouth hampshire, 22/2/2009 1:54

Why would anyone want to come back to this world when they die? I shudder to think what it will be like in a century...Labour still making a hash of everything, that's for sure!
Click to rate Rating 33

- Stuart, Caerphilly, 22/2/2009 2:04

Please no!! Simon has his good qualities , his love of dogs and support of animal charities but I believe that his idea of music is very narrow minded. The same themed weeks appear on every series of the X Factor. Why not have a punk/ new wave week, and ditch some of this endlessly boring power ballad and swing that he seems so struck with?
Click to rate Rating 19

- Tracey, Paisley, Scotland, 22/2/2009 2:05

Why don`t you do it now, and stop boring us.
Click to rate Rating 37

#9 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:51 AM

People love to hate this guy. I think the benefits of the publicity for cryonics vastly outweighs any of the negative sentiment associated with Simon Cowell that rubs off on the whole idea of cryonics.

#10 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:57 AM

Cher (worth $600m) needs to be told about this.

#11 advancedatheist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

Of course, the British press also "reported" a couple years ago that Paris Hilton had cryonics arrangements, which she later denied. I'd like to see better confirmation of Cowell's suspension membership before we hold him up as a cryonics role model.

#12 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:45 AM

That was less than a couple of years ago :) hey the meme should be "maybe some day Simon can learn to be nice" :p (the guy who famously says he won't get married because the chance of divorce is too high and might cause him to lose money).

I'd love it of Simon would sign as a cryonicist. Many support cryonics but few are cryonicists.

#13 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:52 AM

Rich people in general seem to be interested in cryonics. That's good, because a lot of rich people are also celebrities. Yeah everybody hates Simon Cowell, but when they put a famous actor everyone likes into ice, that'll be the best publicity. I'm sure that's only a matter of time.

#14 advancedatheist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

Rich people in general seem to be interested in cryonics.

Actually, no. Rich people tend to have socially conventional outlooks like most everyone else, and they usually avoid doing things considered "weird" which might cause them or their families to lose status relative to other rich people, even if it results in their information-theoretic deaths through burial or cremation. When an occasional rich person does inquire into cryonics, his legal, financial and public relations advisers don't want to compromise their status by supporting their client's decision unless he really, really insists upon it, like the gambling entrepreneur Don Laughlin. Cryonics still has a "weird," status-threatening reputation, especially after all the bad PR surrounding Ted Williams.

As for Cowell's alleged pronouncement, I get the impression that he has an extroverted, attention-seeking personality. He might have blurted out the cryonics stuff during a lull in the Prime Minister's party to give people something new to talk about and draw the focus back upon himself, without really meaning any of it.

Yeah everybody hates Simon Cowell, but when they put a famous actor everyone likes into ice, that'll be the best publicity. I'm sure that's only a matter of time.

Well, I don't hate Simon Cowell. He must have done something right to build up a $200 million fortune through millions of voluntary transactions in the market for bad popular culture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users