Photo
- - - - -

Critique my post-workout shake please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:12 AM

I'm currently doing a loading phase for both creatine saturation and beta-alanine saturation. Since it's generally a good idea to consume a post-workout beverage after anaerobic exercise, I'm doing the loading then for the most part. The reason why not pre-workout is because of my pre-workout drink that partially addresses it.

The functional ingredients are:

Creatine monohydrate - 5 grams
Beta-alanine - 5 grams
Glutamine-AKG - 3 grams
Taurine - 2 grams
Glycine - 1 gram (non-caloric sweetener/creatine potentiator)

Okay, now onto the actual shake:

1 scoop vanilla whey protein isolate/concentrate (any brand probably would do)
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (Blue Diamond brand)
1 cup carb-reduced Chai concentrate (Oregon brand)
3/4 to 1 cup frozen vanilla yogurt (Stonyfield Farm Organic brand)
1/2 cup coconut milk (Polar brand)
2 tablespoons of almond butter (MaraNatha creamy and raw)

1 teaspoon wheat dextrin (soluble fiber support) <------- A better fiber source is wanted
1/2 teaspoon Agave nectar (prebiotic and carb source)

The flavor of this shake is perfect. I've worked out the kinks with the fiber issues except for it being a wheat source. (does that matter too much?) I was looking for more insoluble than soluble, but oh well.

BTW my pre-workout supplement is NO Shotgun - I highly recommend it.

I'm now working on my post-aerobic workout smoothie - mangosteen and acai concentrate, frozen cherries, cranberry juice, vanilla yogurt/etc, but am looking for any helpful tips on the anaerobic one until I "perfect" the aerobic one.

I do cardio in the mornings and anaerobic at 10:00PM. My pre-cardio stack is pyritinol, NALT, oxiracetam, cordyceps, and enzyme and electrolyte tabs, if that helps.

Comments, suggestions, gripes, death threats, knock knock jokes, random anecdotes?

#2 Guacamolium

• Topic Starter
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:43 AM

I actually tend to be more part of the nootropic section here, but lately I've become obsessed with the Immortalist health regimens - and that's where this shake came from - what I've gathered perusing the topics in search of what will actually be efficacious and healthy long-term.

Any Immortalist-style input would be greatly appreciated.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 healingvenom

• 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

I'm currently doing a loading phase for both creatine saturation and beta-alanine saturation. Since it's generally a good idea to consume a post-workout beverage after anaerobic exercise, I'm doing the loading then for the most part. The reason why not pre-workout is because of my pre-workout drink that partially addresses it.

Beta-alanine - 5 grams
Glutamine-AKG - 3 grams
Taurine - 2 grams

1 teaspoon wheat dextrin (soluble fiber support) <------- A better fiber source is wanted

The flavor of this shake is perfect. I've worked out the kinks with the fiber issues except for it being a wheat source. (does that matter too much?) I was looking for more insoluble than soluble, but oh well.

I'm now working on my post-aerobic workout smoothie - mangosteen and acai concentrate, frozen cherries, cranberry juice, vanilla yogurt/etc, but am looking for any helpful tips on the anaerobic one until I "perfect" the aerobic one.

I do cardio in the mornings and anaerobic at 10:00PM. My pre-cardio stack is pyritinol, NALT, oxiracetam, cordyceps, and enzyme and electrolyte tabs, if that helps.

Comments, suggestions, gripes, death threats, knock knock jokes, random anecdotes?

All I gotta say is wether it's for pre-workout, post-workout or just drinking it for the hell of it, the shake sounds tasty. However, where would I find the following items? (Chai concentrate, vanilla almond millk, almond butter, the wheat dextrin and agave nectar) I'll make sure to try it and provide further feedback.

Also, do you mix the above functional ingredients with the actual shake? And last, what's the goal at hand or desired effect? Increased energy? Accompanied after high intensity workout? Development of superior muscle mass in shorter time frame?

BTW, I appreciate the Nootropic info. I'll definitely give it a shot. Unfortunately I don't know where to find half of those items either, except for the B-Vitamins and Folic.

Thanks again toxic

#4 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

Beta-alanine - 5 grams
Glutamine-AKG - 3 grams
Taurine - 2 grams

All I gotta say is wether it's for pre-workout, post-workout or just drinking it for the hell of it, the shake sounds tasty. However, where would I find the following items? (Chai concentrate, vanilla almond millk, almond butter, the wheat dextrin and agave nectar) I'll make sure to try it and provide further feedback.

Also, do you mix the above functional ingredients with the actual shake? And last, what's the goal at hand or desired effect? Increased energy? Accompanied after high intensity workout? Development of superior muscle mass in shorter time frame?

BTW, I appreciate the Nootropic info. I'll definitely give it a shot. Unfortunately I don't know where to find half of those items either, except for the B-Vitamins and Folic.

Thanks again toxic

Is the theory for PWOs still to spike insulin? A few years ago I think the standard recommendation would have been something fat-free with carbs:protein = 2:1, the carbs being split between dextrose and maltodextrin and the protein from fast-absorping proteins like hydrosylates or, second-best, whey isolate. Any opinions on whether this is advisable or safe, say in a blend totaling around 300 calories immediately after working out? I wouldn't consider such carbs at any other time.

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:26 AM

all you need post workout is oats + whey

#6 JLove

• 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:10 AM

The time period right after anaerobic exercise is the best time to take a fish oil supplement, or 2, or 3-- If you are looking to raise test levels and put on some muslce/weight. I put a little more glutamine in my shakes (5g) but only if I feel like I can stomach it.

#7 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:27 AM

The time period right after anaerobic exercise is the best time to take a fish oil supplement, or 2, or 3-- If you are looking to raise test levels and put on some muslce/weight. I put a little more glutamine in my shakes (5g) but only if I feel like I can stomach it.

What?? Do you have any references for that statement? Everything I have read says that taking fat before or after exercise is a bad idea.

#8 chilp

• 89 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

why oats ?

#9 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

why oats ?

healthy, lots of magnesium which is good post workout, complex carbs...

#10 JLove

• 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:56 AM

Advancdaltruist: Are we both talking about anaerobic exercise/weight training? I'd bought into the Omega-3's immediately after a workout belief from Jeff Anderson, a weight training expert, "The muscle nerd" His writing seems so thoroughly researched and legitimate I didn't even think twice about it. uh oh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users