Photo
- - - - -

It's time to stop with the booze?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

Again it's red wine taking the cake. They need to start coming up with studies showing health benefits from beer.

#32 cryofan

• 136 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:18 PM

a couple percentage points one way or the other is not worth worrying about.

You should not drink because alcohol is a highly addictive substance.

#33 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

You should not drink because alcohol is a highly addictive substance.

Certainly, some should not touch alcohol. But this does not apply to the majority of adults, who can drink moderately without becoming addicted.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 wydell

• 503 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:32 AM

I suppose you could take grape seed extract and small amounts of res and possibly get the benefits of red wine without the possible negatives. Of course, you're not going to get that buzz or other enjoyment factors.

Was there any distinction of the source of alcohol? Maybe red wine is healthier than, say, vodka. Also, red wine may protect against dementia. It contains anthocyanins as well as resveratrol.

Even moderate alcohol consumption of more than two drinks a week may raise the risk of cancer, according to a new study.

http://www.abcnews.g...e...9629&page=1

#35 senseix

• 250 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

The increased risk was 2% for one-a-day drinkers. Not that bad. 15% increased if you drink 2 or more per day. Not that good.

Moderate alcohol consumption seems to protect against heart disease. Does the decreased mortality from heart disease balance out the increase mortality from cancer?

Eating properly would protect against cancer, or heart disease, much better than drinking. I think if one is looking for the best ways to protect themselves doing so with a proper nutritional diet is much more effective. I myself have cut way back on the drinking, use to be a few drinks per day. Now i'm down to about a few drinks per month and i doubt that will change, as i age i'll probably gravitate towards 0 drinks per month:P

Edited by senseix, 18 March 2009 - 03:17 PM.

#36 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

I've never seen a topic that polarized people more based on habit and preference over evidence!

We need to see a study that shows smoking reduces cancer risk, and watch the sparks fly. :-D

In my youth, I binge-drank on weekends, then went to maybe 2 drinks a month, and have settled into about 6 per week. If you don't over-consume, it appears to provide a net reduction in disease risk. And it makes you feel good! Why the abstention, abstainers?

#37 pobuoy

• 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

I am pretty sure you can receive all of the health benefits associated with wine consumption from grape juice (or grapes) minus the ethanol

#38 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

I am pretty sure you can receive all of the health benefits associated with wine consumption from grape juice (or grapes) minus the ethanol

I'm not so sure. Grape juice has much less resveratrol but much more sugar than wine.

#39 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

Not sure about that. It seems possible that the overall net reduced mortality seen in alcohol studies could be partly due to the alcohol, since benefits are found from various other vehicles for alcohol, not just wine.

Also, I am not so sure about getting the supposed benefits of resveratrol from juice. Apparently resveratrol is not really water-soluble. It is quite soluble in alcohol:

Resveratrol is soluble in EtOH at 50 mg/mL, in DMSO at least 16 mg/mL and is only very slightly soluble (warming required) in water at 3 mg/100 mL.

Edited by andre, 22 March 2009 - 02:12 PM.

#40 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:17 AM

I've never seen a topic that polarized people more based on habit and preference over evidence!

We need to see a study that shows smoking reduces cancer risk, and watch the sparks fly. ;)

In my youth, I binge-drank on weekends, then went to maybe 2 drinks a month, and have settled into about 6 per week. If you don't over-consume, it appears to provide a net reduction in disease risk. And it makes you feel good! Why the abstention, abstainers?

the stuff on parkinson and alzheimer wasn't enough??

#41 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

I hate the taste. I wouldn't care if alcohol didn't exist at all ;)

Nobody likes the taste of alcohol the first time they try it. Like they say, it is an acquired taste. That is great that you hate the taste, keep hating it. Just don't hate on other people for drinking it. Many people have had a great time on nights they spent getting pissed bonding with their friends, me included. If I had only drank half the alcohol in my lifetime I would be pretty happy with that. I would love to say that I had hardly drank at all, or smoked for that matter. Sometimes I wonder if it is more important to experience many different things and have a full life or to not have much experience and live a very long life. Whatever anyone thinks, drinking too much is bad. If you can avoid the pressure you may feel when you get older and are in college, more power to you. Just don't let that alienate you from other people that choose to drink more. It is hard not to judge other people that do things you do not do or approve of. That may be a difficult balance to achieve.

#42 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

If alcohol didn't exist it would be one less thing in this world that makes it interesting. Do you want to live in a utopia or distopia(both are black and white world's as far as I'm concerned). Have you ever read the book 1984? Remember what happened during prohibition? No matter how much we evolve, we will always be human. And as long as we are human, there will always be evils in the world. Things like passion and love that make human life so wonderful may not be able to exist without the things in life that bring us pain and suffering. I don't think I want to be around for the day when we lose our humanity...Oops, I'm not on the PhillInst.Org forum am I.

Edited by morganator, 23 April 2009 - 08:42 AM.

#43 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

My bad! You are already 24! Well then, nice job staying away from the alcohol! Personally, I think my body and mind would have recovered just fine if I stopped drinking by the time I was 24. Unfortunately, after many attempts to stay away from it, I did not do that.

#44 pobuoy

• 21 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:44 AM

I'm not so sure. Grape juice has much less resveratrol but much more sugar than wine.

How about muscadine grapes?

#45 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

This is probably just my imagination but I believe that when I've gone for a long time without drinking my skin looks a lot better, especially around my eyes. It's also more moisturised naturally.

Edited by Ben - Aus, 28 April 2009 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users