• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Obama to reverse embryonic stem cell ban

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#31 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:12 PM

The number of Americans in favor of the ban is even larger than I thought. Four in ten are in favor of continuing the ban. Gee, that ignorant "religious right" has really grown in numbers, huh?

http://www.gallup.co...l-Decision.aspx

As an issue, ESC research is an *obvious winner* (roughly 55% support). Politically, when you see these types of numbers, you take the ball and run with it.

#32 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

I'll repost what I posted on another forum regarding the problem of federal funding and how it really did result in a defacto ban on ESC, even "privately". I've probably posted something like this here on imminst at one time or another as well

This is no simple issue at hand. The problem with scientific research in this country is that just about every institution receives some kind of federal grants. For profit, not for profit, universities, you name it. So when there is a sweeping ban on the use of federal tax dollars for stem cell research it really does throw a wrench in the all of the existing machinery, because all of it is at least partially funded by the feds. That means if 1 federal dollar went to building an NMR machine or a science building from some federal grant for studying the mean airspeed velocity of a fully laden swallow, you couldn't do stem cell research there.

In order to do legal stem cell research one would have to build an entire separate facility essentially only for stem cell research at enormous cost when all the rest of your science can share resources. This really slowed things down a lot in the private and public sectors.

Of course the fundamental problem was that federal government put itself in this position to begin with where the seemingly somewhat innocuous act of withholding public funding can so cripple an industry and innovation.

Drat, I can't believe I forgot to make this point.

Regarding the last sentence of the post (italicized by me). Although I have disagreements with libertarians over what is the proper role of "the state" and public funding (research in pure science can sometimes be useful in unanticipated ways, no?), I believe that this is an issue which needs to be put on the back burner when discussing ESC. The fact of the matter is that there is a federal government and (in all likelihood) it is going to continue existing for the foreseeable future. It spends a helluvalot of money. And if it's going to spend spend spend, it might as well do it on a worthy cause like ESC.

Edited by DJS, 10 March 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#33 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

The fact of the matter is that there is a federal government and (in all likelihood) it is going to continue existing for the foreseeable future. It spends a helluvalot of money. And if it's going to spend spend spend, it might as well do it on a worthy cause like ESC.

I have zero disagreement with the above analysis. Despite having heavily libertarian leanings in my personal ideology, I am smart enough to know that the federal government is not going to get smaller, it is going to get bigger, and I may as well behave in a pragmatic fashion relative to this reality.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 jdgauchat

• 211 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:27 AM

The number of Americans in favor of the ban is even larger than I thought. Four in ten are in favor of continuing the ban. Gee, that ignorant "religious right" has really grown in numbers, huh?

OK. I asked you why are you here. Your answer should be "cause I want to be immortal". But I didn't hear it. So, I suppose that you are here because you want that. Then, the next question (and I really want you to answer this question, please) is "how do you think you gonna get it?"

Answering this question you will see what the problem is. You are against the improvement of the human knowledge that is the ONLY way we can get our goal. That means that we need not only to make a lot of research on stem cells, we must develop techniques to change our DNA, to create new tissue, to change our material structure. And in order to do that we will need to work in areas that millions and millions of religious people will refuse to support. If you are against the research on stem cells you will be really horrified when we'll start to create virus and enzymes that change our DNA or perform changes on the chemistry of the cells of a adult human being, just to name some examples.

I don't know what do you want, but on that way you will only find dead and the end of your existence.

Im editing this, I forget something. You allways said that you don't want to offend people. You said "Four in ten are in favor of continuing the ban". OK. So you think that because 4 of ten want to continuing the ban the government should take that decision. But, suppose is the opposite: 4 in 10 are in favor to STOP the ban. So, in order to not offend this 4 the government should stop the ban. Do you see what happen here? The government need to take his own decision, thinking from common sense, knowledge, experience, information, and everything they need to take the right decision. You are just trying to justify your point playing with words and no-sense.

Edited by macrojd, 11 March 2009 - 01:45 AM.

#35 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:39 AM

OK. I ask you why are you here. Your answer should be "cause I want to be immortal". But I didn't hear it. So, I suppose that you are here because you want that. Then, the next question (and I really want you to answer this question, please) is "how do you think you gonna get it?"

Answering this question you will see what the problem is. You are against the improvement of the human knowledge that is the ONLY way we can get our goal. That means that we need not only to make a lot of research on stem cells, we must develop techniques to change our DNA, to create new tissue, to change our material structure. And in order to do that we will need to work in areas that millions and millions of religious people will refuse to support. If you are against the research on stem cells you will be really horrified when we'll start to create virus and enzymes that change our DNA or perform changes on the chemistry of the cells of a adult human being, just to name some examples.

I don't know what do you want, but on that way you will only find dead and the end of your existence.

My existence, (and yours) is overrated. That's not to say I wouldn't like to choose my own time and place for my demise. Seriously though, I don't see how you can confuse my position with one who is against the pursuit of knowledge. I have made some effort in making my position clear.

#36 jdgauchat

• 211 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

OK. I ask you why are you here. Your answer should be "cause I want to be immortal". But I didn't hear it. So, I suppose that you are here because you want that. Then, the next question (and I really want you to answer this question, please) is "how do you think you gonna get it?"

My existence, (and yours) is overrated. That's not to say I wouldn't like to choose my own time and place for my demise. Seriously though, I don't see how you can confuse my position with one who is against the pursuit of knowledge. I have made some effort in making my position clear.

Sorry, my english is not good enough. So, are you saying that you want to die? And not only that, you think that our existence is overrated? that means you don't care about your existence (of course, my existence is the most important think I have and this is the only chance I have to exist, if I die I will disappear for ever, exactly like you).

Well, if a made a mistake correct me please. But if not, the question is back again "what are you doing on IMMORTALITY institute?"

#37 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:59 AM

FM, keep debating the ESL members and you'll be okay. ;)

#38 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:02 AM

Well, if a made a mistake correct me please. But if not, the question is back again "what are you doing on IMMORTALITY institute?"

On this forum? Chumming, of course. ;)

#39 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:05 AM

Ha! Just got it. I'll work my way up.

#40 jdgauchat

• 211 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

hey discrimination! haha! but its true, the FM arguments are really stupid but I can't explain my self the way Id wish.

#41 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

I thought many of you actually had a scientific background. I guess I was sorely wrong.

Lifting the ban on embryonic stem-cell research is a waste of money. Many prominent scientists already believe it is a waste of time and will only slow us down. It is also dangerous. Every attempted implemented therapy with these cells has been disastrous. It is all political in nature rather than scientific, yet here we have people who so-called know about science praising it. HAHA

Why wouldn't we just focus all our MONEY and RESOURCES on adult stem-cells which have been proven viable ALREADY...

You guys are crazy to think this is a good thing for science. It is a slow-down step backwards, undoubtedly!

#42 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:23 AM

I thought many of you actually had a scientific background. I guess I was sorely wrong.

Lifting the ban on embryonic stem-cell research is a waste of money. Many prominent scientists already believe it is a waste of time and will only slow us down. It is also dangerous. Every attempted implemented therapy with these cells has been disastrous. It is all political in nature rather than scientific, yet here we have people who so-called know about science praising it. HAHA

Why wouldn't we just focus all our MONEY and RESOURCES on adult stem-cells which have been proven viable ALREADY...

You guys are crazy to think this is a good thing for science. It is a slow-down step backwards, undoubtedly!

Lift the ban on federal funding and let the researchers determine what are and what are not promising lines of research.

We need to go with whatever works, without being encumbered by delusional moral/ethical standards.

Debate over.

#43 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:10 AM

We need to go with whatever works, without being encumbered by delusional moral/ethical standards.

You are taking a philosophical viewpoint indeed. I say this because you didn't post anything scientific at all within your post. If you would do more research "DJS", you would not care for furthered research with embryonic stem cells. This is fact.

President Obama's support of embryonic stem-cell research is a tragedy of errors that will prove to be one more hugely expensive mistake that will push us all deeper into bankruptcy for generations to come.

Human embryos are designed with one purpose in mind - to build a complete human being. Adult stem cells, on the other hand, are designed to rebuild damaged cells, tissues and organs, a job which they perform well.

When human embryonic stem cells are injected into lab rats, they produce tumors. When the tumors are examined, hair, bone, teeth and eye cells, among others, are discovered. In other words, what the embryonic stem cells are designed to do - create these things, they attempt to do, but without the order that would take place if they were part of a developing fetus.

So what the bio-engineering firms are trying to do at the tune of billions of dollars is get embryonic stem cells to stop behaving like they were designed to behave, and start behaving like adult stem cells. What is absurd and draconian about such a comedy of errors is that we the people once again are expected to pick of the tab for supporting such folly. And the method used to further and perpetuate such folly is a public campaign of misinformation and faulty science.

Since the average person assumes that scientists know what they are doing, scientists under the Obama administration appear to be on the edge of victory, being given government approval and most likely government funding for their unnecessary and potentially exploitative misuse of human embryos in the process.

A large number of research studies that indicate adult stem cells, which the body produces from bone marrow, can accomplish everything that embryonic stem-cell researchers claim and promise they can deliver, given enough money and time. Yet these pertinent and valuable studies have largely been ignored, because they threaten the livelihoods and endowments that the embryonic stem cell research organizations depend on to survive.

There is even a capsulated form of adult stem cell stimulator that has been available for several years now that can be ordered online. Due to FDA restrictions on non-approved products, however, the product can only be sold at the present time as a nutritional supplement, even though it received US Patent #6814961 as a "Method for enhancing stem cell trafficking".

The Abstract reads as follows:

Abstract

Consumption of blue-green algae, or extracts thereof, enhances trafficking or homing of stem cells in animals by inducing a transient increase in the population of stem cells present in the animal's circulatory system. The animal may be healthy or suffering some disease or physiological condition.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-226179

I suggest you learn a little about this so-called "debate" before posting anymore nonsense. The majority of scientists believe that FOCUSING on adult stem cells are the way to go. Did you hear about that poor boy given the experimental embryonic stem-cell therapy which results in tumors growing in his body that they had to surgically remove afterwards? That is what I call unethical my misinformed friend.

What is a "delusional moral/ethical standard" anyways? lol

#44 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:02 AM

You are taking a philosophical viewpoint indeed. I say this because you didn't post anything scientific at all within your post. If you would do more research "DJS", you would not care for furthered research with embryonic stem cells. This is fact.

President Obama's support of embryonic stem-cell research is a tragedy of errors that will prove to be one more hugely expensive mistake that will push us all deeper into bankruptcy for generations to come.

Wow, I checked out that link and found something amazing right at the very top of the page

iReport.com is a user-generated site. That means the stories submitted by users are not edited, fact-checked or screened before they post.

#45 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:21 AM

Hehe... Yeah Val, you'd think that luv2 would at least have the courtesy of using Discovery Institute for his propaganda. :|w

#46 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

If you would do more research "DJS", you would not care for furthered research with embryonic stem cells. This is fact.

I suggest you learn a little about this so-called "debate" before posting anymore nonsense.

Indeed! I guess - along with Ralph J. Cicerone (Pres of the NAS), Charles M. Vest (President of the NAE) and Harvey V Fineberg (Pres of the IoM) - I need to better edumicate myself!

Statement on President Obama's Executive Order and Presidential Memorandum

On behalf of the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and Institute of Medicine, we applaud the orders issued by President Obama today.

By easing restrictions on federal support for embryonic stem cell research, the president's decision can hasten progress through stem cell research to treat disease and ease suffering.

#47 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:00 AM

Of course, luv2. Now I see what you're saying. All of the support for ESC is a far reaching lefty conspiracy.

A large number of research studies that indicate adult stem cells, which the body produces from bone marrow, can accomplish everything that embryonic stem-cell researchers claim and promise they can deliver, given enough money and time. Yet these pertinent and valuable studies have largely been ignored, because they threaten the livelihoods and endowments that the embryonic stem cell research organizations depend on to survive.

The line of reasoning you're presenting here is confused on a number of levels.

First, it fails to realize a very basic aspect of scientific research. It's results driven. If a reasonable amount of effort is invested in a line of research and there are no positive results, then that line of research is dropped. How many research scientists do you know who want to work on a failed line of research? (because it does wonders for your career). If ESC really had no value as a research target, then it would be quite hard finding scientists to work in that area.

Second, it fails to realize that the equipment and skills needed for ESC are more or less the same as those for ASC research. So there's little to prevent a research org from pursuing whatever it sees as the most promising area of stem cell research.

The take home message is this: Stop with your petty attempts at trying to impugn the integrity of the scientific process. Scientists will go where the results lead them.

For anyone who is pro-science, lifting restrictions and allowing scientists maximum flexibility in pursuing their research agenda is a no-brainer.

Those who are so adamantly opposed to ESC research obviously have a (not so) hidden agenda.

luv2increase: What is a "delusional moral/ethical standard" anyways?

That a human blastocyst is worthy of our moral concern.

#48 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

The line of reasoning you're presenting here is confused on a number of levels.

First, it fails to realize a very basic aspect of scientific research. It's results driven. If a reasonable amount of effort is invested in a line of research and there are no positive results, then that line of research is dropped.

Exactly! From this, we can see that everything you posted below it is irrelevant rubbish :|w

There has been much effort into ESR, AND ABSOLUTELY NO "POSITIVE" RESULTS... How are you going to evade this one DJS? I'm sure you will reply, or will you? :)

#49 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:03 PM

How are you going to evade this one DJS?

I'm afraid that you are the one who is being evasive. It doesn't matter how much you SCREAM AND SHOUT like a small child having a temper tantrum, my point is still valid and there is no need for me to debate this issue with you on your terms.

So I'm just going to keep repeating myself because I clearly have the winning argument. :|w

For anyone who is pro-science, lifting restrictions and allowing scientists maximum flexibility in pursuing their research agendas is a no-brainer.

#50 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

Also, there's another point I'd like to mention to readers of this thread.

The merits of ESCR can and have been debated ad nauseum. Obviously a techno-progressive such as myself would disagree with a number of statements made by luv2 such as, "no positive results have been attained with ESCR" and "much effort has been put into ESCR" and "ASCR can accomplish everything ESCR can accomplish".

However all of these issues miss the point entirely. Addressing them in this thread would only serve to muddy the waters of this discussion, thus serving luv2's agenda.

My basic claim is that eliminating restrictions on scientific research is usually a good thing, and that eliminating restrictions on ESCR is definitely a good thing. Unencumbered researchers are more creative researchers.

In order to dispute this claim you'd have to demonstrate that ESCR restrictions are actually beneficial. From a pro-science perspective, this is a tall order.

#51 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

Obviously a techno-progressive such as myself would disagree with a number of statements made by luv2 such as, "no positive results have been attained with ESCR"

Ok, then list the positive things that has arisen out of ESC. List how many people have been helped. Instead of leaving us in the blue while still trying to persuade us, why not fill us in.

Here is a challenge for the techno-progro: name one good thing that all the millions of dollars spent thus far on ESC has done that is positive for humanity and worthy of the money spent... I bet you cannot do it. You are arguing a dead-end path. All you have is the "blind" agreeance with researchers who are going to be rich in working on a dead-end project (ESCR) for years to come. It is kind of like trying to find a cure for diseases when all that needs to be researched is finding the prevention from the diseases in the first place. That would be better for humanity, yet you agree with the same industry who has robbed people for many years.

My basic claim is that eliminating restrictions on scientific research is usually a good thing, and that eliminating restrictions on ESCR is definitely a good thing. Unencumbered researchers are more creative researchers.

I'm still waiting for a progress report on ESCR from you techno. Creative researches who are getting paid much money are ones that really want to get things accomplished at an express rate to huh? lol This will be another thing like the research on curing AIDS. How much money have we put into that? All the modern technology, research & know-how with the brightest minds on the job making millions upon millions for over 2 decades now still can't find the cure to AIDS.

I think the chances of us curing AIDS is much more likely than us using embryonic stem cells viably.

Maybe 20 years from now, we can come back to this debate, and still not one single benefit of ESC will be found, but techno will be still saying, "give it more time. I'm sure we will get there soon." This will be while ASC will be in full swing.

Techno, what you along with the "few" other scientists are proposing is about as hysterical as the US Gov't lifting a fictitious ban from scientists finding a way to make pigs fly...

Edited by luv2increase, 16 March 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#52 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:21 AM

Ok, then list the positive things that has arisen out of ESC.

I thought I told you, son. It's not gonna happen. If you'd like to have a discussion about the merits of ESCR then start a new thread topic and I'll meet you over there.

For anyone who is pro-science, lifting restrictions and allowing scientists maximum flexibility in pursuing their research agendas is a no-brainer.

luv2: All you have is the "blind" agreeance with researchers who are going to be rich in working on a dead-end project (ESCR) for years to come.[/u] It is kind of like trying to find a cure for diseases when all that needs to be researched is finding the prevention from the diseases in the first place. That would be better for humanity, yet you agree with the same industry who has robbed people for many years...

Creative researches who are getting paid much money are ones that really want to get things accomplished at an express rate to huh? lol This will be another thing like the research on curing AIDS. How much money have we put into that? All the modern technology, research & know-how with the brightest minds on the job making millions upon millions for over 2 decades now still can't find the cure to AIDS.

Ahh, here we go. This is the only real counter you have. Cast doubt upon the integrity of large segments of the research community. You'd like to have us believe that vast numbers of researchers are slacking off and getting rich on bogus research. (because we all know that medical research is the way to go if you want to make the benjamins). It's a giant conspiracy.

Techno, what you along with the "few" other scientists are proposing

More misrepresentations. "My side", which is the side in favor of lifting the restrictions on federal funding of ESCR, constitutes the overwhelming majority of scientists and researchers in the US.

BTW, what's with calling me technosophy? That was like two user names ago. I don't really care, but it may confuse the readers of this thread.

#53 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:58 AM

I must say that luv's reasoning is blowing my freaking mind.

Everyone, let's get this straight.

Luv2 wants us to believe that, together, the Obama adminstration and the medical research community conspired to lift restrictions on the funding of ESCR so that researchers could spend millions of tax payer dollars on bogus research. The reason being... the reasoning being...

Can anyone come up with the reason why they would do this? Why would the leadership of a country intentionally try sabotage the country it is leading?

I know! Obama's a sleeper cell traitor!

No no, wait, I got it.

The evil atheist scientists will not be denied their sadomasochistic pleasures, which arise from perpetrating a holocaust against baby embryo souls.

Welcome to Jesus Camp people. Welcome to Jesus Camp.

#54 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

I think a little comic relief is in order.

SCIENTISTS TO CONTINUE EMBRYO STEM-CELL RESEARCH PURELY TO ANNOY CHRISTIANS

LEADING scientists last night rejected a new 'ethical' stem cell technique insisting it would do nothing to annoy fundamentalist Christians.

This woman is just begging to be annoyedThe new method takes human skin cells and makes them behave like embryonic stem cells in a breakthrough that has disappointed researchers across the globe.

But Professor Henry Brubaker, of the Institute for Studies, said: "I did not spend eight years at university just to adopt research methods that do not annoy the holy living shit out of the Jesus freaks.

"I got into this business to take science and rub it in their stupid, medieval, voodoo faces and I'm not about to give that up now.

"It always puzzled me why they got so annoyed given that the embryo in question had no brain or nervous system and how to the untrained eye it was impossible to tell if was a human or a sea horse.

"Nevertheless they would open up their bibles and point to the bits about the sanctity of this and the holiness of that and I'd point to the bit about how it's forbidden to eat cormorants."

Professor Brubaker said he and his colleagues liked to play with the tiny embryos and would often use them to act out scenes from the New Testament including the Sermon on the Mount and the feeding of the five thousand.

The professor stressed that stem cells will also have a wide range of clinical uses with the exception of bringing someone back to life after they have been nailed to a cross, 'because that's just a dangerously insane fairy story'.

He added: "If only I could find some way of manipulating the embryo to make it gay."

#55 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

I think a little comic relief is in order.

I don't think making fun of anyone's beliefs is comical. It is called being prejudice and intolerant to those who have beliefs other than your own. This is no way to live in harmony.

Also, why do you continually bring the religious aspect into this conversation. I never once brought it into it, and you seem to act like I am. That is extremely annoying and odd behavior. It is proof that you have much hatred built up within yourself aimed at those who believe in a God. I'm sorry to say this, but that is pitiful. The world does not need that kind of behavior right now "DJS". It is uncalled for.

Let's get back to the point. I am going about this in a pure scientifical, logical & productive sense. I never made one religious argument in this discussion. Please remember that.

I am sad that you can't come up with anything positive that has arisen out of embryonic stem cell research as of yet. That is the key here. Let's focus on that point instead of the other rubbish you are attempting to dilute this discussion with. T

#56 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

Luv you can't help it. All of your arguments are religious ones.

Why are you wasting your time djs? Not that I haven't done it once or twice

#57 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

From Wikipedia:

Fear mongering (or scaremongering) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic, sometimes in the form of a vicious circle.

Political Uses

Fear mongering is often used in wartime, as a political tactic to frighten citizens and influence their political views. Fear mongering in the United States surfaced most prominently during the era of McCarthyism[citation needed], when the nation first faced the threat of possible nuclear attack. Since then, politicians and pundits alike have realized and utilized the powerful influential impact that fear can have on American voters[citation needed]. Some allege that fear of violent acts of terrorism since the September 11th 2001 attacks were exploited by politicians to maintain their control of the U.S. House of Representatives, Senate, and Executive branches of the government.[citation needed] Similarly, participants in the debate over man-made global warming have been accused of using tactics of fear-mongering in order to promote their own environmentalist agendas.[1] Those skeptical of man-made causes of global warming assert that although there is still no scientific consensus on the cause or causes of global warming, politicians have resorted to fearmongering in order to sway public sentiment toward governmental and regulatory solutions.[2][3]

Campaign Advertisements

Probably the best-known example in American politics is the Daisy television commercial, a famous campaign television advertisement beginning with a little girl standing in a meadow with chirping birds, picking the petals of a daisy while counting each petal slowly. When she reaches "9", an ominous-sounding male voice is then heard counting down a missile launch, and as the girl's eyes turn toward something she sees in the sky, the camera zooms in until her pupil fills the screen, blacking it out. When the countdown reaches zero, the blackness is replaced by the flash and mushroom cloud of a nuclear explosion.

As the firestorm rages, a voice-over from Johnson states, "These are the stakes! To make a world in which all of God's children can live, or to go into the dark. We must either love each other, or we must die". Another voice-over then says, "Vote for President Johnson on November 3. The stakes are too high for you to stay home". [4]

Product Advertisements

Advertisers have also entered the arena with their discovery that "fear sells". Ad campaigns based on fear, sometimes referred to as "shockvertising", have become more and more popular in recent years. Fear is a strong emotion and it can be manipulated to steer people into making emotional rather than reasoned choices. From car commercials that imply that having fewer airbags will cause your family harm, to disinfectant commercials that show bacteria lurking on every surface, fear-based advertising works.[5] While using fear in ads has generated some negative reactions by the public, there is evidence to show that "shockvertising" is a highly effective persuasion technique, and over the last several years, advertisers have continued to increase their usage of fear in ads in what has been called a "never-ending arms race in the advertising business".[6]

#58 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

Why are you wasting your time djs? Not that I haven't done it once or twice

It made me so itchy I just had to scratch it.

#59 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

I am sad that you can't come up with anything positive that has arisen out of embryonic stem cell research as of yet. That is the key here. Let's focus on that point instead of the other rubbish you are attempting to dilute this discussion with.

Start a new thread topic on the merits of ESCR and I'd be willing to have that discussion.

Lifting the ban on federal funding is a good thing because it grants researchers the freedom to scientifically determine what are and what are not promising lines of research.

#60 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

Luv you can't help it. All of your arguments are religious ones.

Don't be a wiseguy. Point them out. Blatant lies will get you nowhere in life "eternaltraveler LOL:)"...

Talking to you and DJS, two supposed people of authority here at Imminst (how ironic), is like talking to two computer programs with many flaws in their programming. You both are extremely out-of-touch with reality, sadly.

"all arguments are religious ones" --> point them out. It doesn't get any more blatant than that. What a comment.

I think you both need to seriously think about stepping down from leadership here at Imminst. When you both display what you have here in these last fews threads, it seems extremely viable. Think about it.

edit: I just noticed that DJS a.k.a. technosophy, is not in authority anymore. What happened?

Edited by luv2increase, 18 March 2009 - 04:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users