Photo
- - - - -

Alternatives to caffeine for alertness/energy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Magnus Greel

• 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Can anyone suggest an effective non alternative to Caffeine to give me a boost in terms of energy and alertness. I have been trying a few different thing such as NADH and NAD which had no effect, also tried tyrosine, but I found after a couple of days I felt fatigued, plus I didnt like the feeling I had using tyrosine.

Any suggestions appreciated!!

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

After consulting with my naturopathic practitioner, I'm currently taking a low dose
of dopa mucuna seed extract* early in the AM which definitely helps my mood
and alertness.

*also known as velvet bean.

Edited by pycnogenol, 12 March 2009 - 03:30 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

You might try sulbutiamine. It makes you more alert but not like caffeine. For more energy you might try some type of ginseng and or licorice (combo).

#4 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

I have tried sulbutiamine, NADH, and tyrosine and found them all to be pretty much worthless. I did feel something with tyrosine and DLPA, but felt fatigued the following days. Only thing I have found for improving alertness besides caffeine is exercise and modafinil. Of the two, I prefer exercise. Sleep is most important, get as much as you need (determined by going to bed at a consistent time in a dark room and awaking naturally).

#5 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

Biotest's spike is awesome - both the caffeine and non-caffeine version.

#6 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

glutamine, SAM-e, taurine, b12.

#7 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

Quercetin works wonders for me, better than caffeine and with no headaches or trouble sleeping or anything like that.

#8 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:00 AM

Can anyone suggest an effective non alternative to Caffeine to give me a boost in terms of energy and alertness. I have been trying a few different thing such as NADH and NAD which had no effect, also tried tyrosine, but I found after a couple of days I felt fatigued, plus I didnt like the feeling I had using tyrosine.

Any suggestions appreciated!!

One's best bets would be as follows:

Methyl B12, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, L-Carnitine, Propionyl-L-Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine Arginate, Selegiline, Hydergine, Racetam compounds, Choline supps, Tianeptine, Theobromine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Phenylethylamine, B-Complex, Vitamin C, Nicotine (not worth it), AD/HD medications (not worth it), correcting hormone levels, aerobic/anaerobic exercise, balanced diet, adequate rest, normal circadian rhythm, meditation, setting goals & getting a heavy metal panel done and utilizing chelation therapy if need be.

edit: Don't take all those substances at once though lol

Edited by luv2increase, 13 March 2009 - 03:01 AM.

#9 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:04 PM

Methylphenidate, amphetamine, cocaine, etc..

#10 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

Try high dose centrophenoxine + alcar + ALA with a Methyl B Losenge and a nicotine patch.

That will wake you up.

#11 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

Idiot...

...You forgot crack!

#12 Magnus Greel

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:49 AM

I forget to mention I also tried Alcar, definately gave me a boost, although I found myself to be a bit more temperamental in my nature when using that stuff.

Anyway thanks guys for the suggestions, I will have look into your recommendations.

#13 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

Idiot...

...You forgot crack!

No need to resort to ad hominem attacks. Crack is just another formulation of cocaine, no?

#14 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

No one mentioned sublingual NAD (ß-Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide). The NOW product (25 mg) works well for me.

StephenB

Edited by stephen_b, 17 March 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#15 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

Idiot...

...You forgot crack!

No need to resort to ad hominem attacks. Crack is just another formulation of cocaine, no?

Indeed. These are the kind of alternatives that are equally effective or more effective at providing alertness and energy than caffeine. The other supplements mentioned are not nearly in the same class (with the exception of tyrosine until tolerance develops). As you can see, caffeine is the most benign of your options.

You've just discovered why caffeine is the most widely used stimulant in the world.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 17 March 2009 - 05:39 PM.

#16 waldemar

• 206 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:15 PM

Why not low-dose Modafinil?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

Modafinil eventually, over time, seems to have undesirable effects for some people. We've had at least one thread on the topic if you search modafinil + side effects. Modafinil does deserve mention as an option though, definitely effective.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users