Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

the rating system

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 senseix

• 250 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

The rating system on this site needs to be fixed, to many good people with low ratings, because of the lack of safe guards and planning and good implimentation of this system to begin with.

Edited by caliban, 18 March 2009 - 06:18 PM.
split and moved from "ABOUT: the forum suggestions forum"

#2 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for your suggestion senseix

if I understand correctly, the main problem is:

to many good people with low ratings,

The rating function allows for changing a previous rating, so if you consider a rating too low, you could just encourage people to change their rating.

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

I've had the same reservations with the rating system ever since it was established. The system supposes a level of rationality and maturity that is not present on the internet as a whole. It offers an abuse angle from slighted posters while at the same time allowing new or inexperienced posters to view someone's words based on an arbitrary number system instead of the worth of the individual post.

#4 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

The vbulletin 3 board implements a much better rating system (e.g. used on the bb.com forums). Actually, we also could do away with the rating system as a whole. Most people will recognise outstanding posts and posters by the content they post (although, ratings may be good guidelines for newbies?)

Edited by kismet, 26 March 2009 - 08:04 PM.

#5 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

The rating system on this site needs to be fixed, to many good people with low ratings, because of the lack of safe guards and planning and good implimentation of this system to begin with.

and people getting undeserved high rankings.

there are even assh0les with 5 star ratings. wtf?

Edited by Forever21, 26 March 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#6 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:38 AM

This issue was discussed at todays recorders meeting, and it was consensus that disabling the "rate" function would subtract a feature that is useful to some, whereas it can be easily ignored by those who don't enjoy it.

Further feedback is welcome, this item will be logged for revisiting in the archives in two weeks time.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

This issue was discussed at todays recorders meeting, and it was consensus that disabling the "rate" function would subtract a feature that is useful to some, whereas it can be easily ignored by those who don't enjoy it.

Further feedback is welcome, this item will be logged for revisiting in the archives in two weeks time.

Who is it useful to? It's poorly designed and doesn't function as we expected it would. What advantage does it have?

I would prefer to see it gone. (Note my huge three star rating...)

#8 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:10 AM

Who is it useful to? It's poorly designed and doesn't function as we expected it would. What advantage does it have?

The thought was that it may be useful in rating threads, particularly proposed projects.

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:04 AM

The thought was that it may be useful in rating threads, particularly proposed projects.

There's a thread rating system as well. It is actually pretty well designed, because it doesn't require the rater to visit someones profile in order to do the rating. But I was talking about the rating system for individual posters, for which I don't see a good use. If individuals were rated on the basis of the collected ratings of their posts, it might make more sense.

#10 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:53 AM

We discussed the rating system as a whole entity. If I remember correctly, thread and individual rating came along at the same time. I'm unaware if one can be separated from the other.

#11 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

I agree. The rating system for individuals doesn't work. With all the people I piss off I should have at least 3 less stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users