• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How much Vitamin D do you supplement and why?

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

Poll: Vitamin D (310 member(s) have cast votes)

Vitamin D

1. None (8 votes [2.54%])

Percentage of vote: 2.54%

2. <400IU (3 votes [0.95%])

Percentage of vote: 0.95%

3. 400IU (8 votes [2.54%])

Percentage of vote: 2.54%

4. 401IU-1000IU (31 votes [9.84%])

Percentage of vote: 9.84%

5. Voted 1001IU-2000IU (42 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

6. 2001IU-3000IU (47 votes [14.92%])

Percentage of vote: 14.92%

7. 3001IU-5000IU (89 votes [28.25%])

Percentage of vote: 28.25%

8. >5000IU (87 votes [27.62%])

Percentage of vote: 27.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:54 AM

Vitamin D, nervous system and aging

http://www.kalueffla...009Touhimma.pdf

#152 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

Another Vitamin D article from Science Daily: Vitamin D Found to Influence Over 200 Genes, Highlighting Links to Disease

Now, in a study whose funders include the Medical Research Council (MRC), the MS Society, the Wellcome Trust and the MS Society of Canada, researchers at the University of Oxford have shown the extent to which vitamin D interacts with our DNA. They used new DNA sequencing technology to create a map of vitamin D receptor binding across the genome. The vitamin D receptor is a protein activated by vitamin D, which attaches itself to DNA and thus influences what proteins are made from our genetic code.

The researchers found 2,776 binding sites for the vitamin D receptor along the length of the genome. These were unusually concentrated near a number of genes associated with susceptibility to autoimmune conditions such as MS, Crohn's disease, systemic lupus erythematosus (or 'lupus') and rheumatoid arthritis, and to cancers such as chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and colorectal cancer.

They also showed that vitamin D had a significant effect on the activity of 229 genes including IRF8, previously associated with MS, and PTPN2, associated with Crohn's disease and type 1 diabetes.

Just chalking another one up for Vit. D
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#153 brundall

• 97 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

Hormonal forms of vitamin D3 appear to control basic
mechanisms of aging and related diseases, and determining
the optimal serum concentration of calcidiol is an important
question for preventive medicine. A new model of
aging is presented here (Fig. 2), in which both too high
and too low activity of calcipherol hormone activity seems
to enhance aging, whereas optimal concentrations appear
to delay aging.

Interesting.
  • like x 1

#154 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

I live in Saskatoon, SK and during the winter there is hardly any sun. My psychiatrist reccomended taking 1000iu of D to help with my bipolar and seasonal affective disorder. I also tan 3 times a week during the winter as well.

I take it in the form of D drops. One drop of the back of a spoon that you lick off. You can't taste anything. I only recently started so I will keep you posted wether I see any solid evidence that its doing anything for me.

#155 Donnie

• 57 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Excuse me if I'm being overly simplistic here, but couldn't the correct dosage of vitamin D be determined by sun bathing. Stay with me here.

The body can choose not to absorb vitamin D from the sun, if the deposits are full right? So to determine the correct dosage, one would stay in the sun getting as much exposure as possible, without getting a sunburn, for a month or so. You would then get your vitamin D levels measured and that level would be what you'll be aiming for with a supplement.

Basically, whatever sticks from the sun is the correct dosage.

#156 Delta Gamma

• 265 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:05 AM

1600IU a day, 600IU from my Centrum and 1000IU from my D3 supplement. I could probably go higher seeing as I don't get any sun for about 2/3 of the year, but so far this dose is simple and effective.

#157 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:13 PM

Excuse me if I'm being overly simplistic here, but couldn't the correct dosage of vitamin D be determined by sun bathing. Stay with me here.

The body can choose not to absorb vitamin D from the sun, if the deposits are full right? So to determine the correct dosage, one would stay in the sun getting as much exposure as possible, without getting a sunburn, for a month or so. You would then get your vitamin D levels measured and that level would be what you'll be aiming for with a supplement.

Basically, whatever sticks from the sun is the correct dosage.

I don't think the body has any regulation on whether it makes Vitamin D from UVB. It just does it and keeps doing it while you are in the sun. I don't think you would overdose on D because the darker you are the less D you make from the sun. And even if you are pale you wouldn't be able to stay in the sun long enough to overdose on D before you burn.

#158 Donnie

• 57 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:44 PM

I don't think the body has any regulation on whether it makes Vitamin D from UVB. It just does it and keeps doing it while you are in the sun. I don't think you would overdose on D because the darker you are the less D you make from the sun. And even if you are pale you wouldn't be able to stay in the sun long enough to overdose on D before you burn.

I can't remember where I read that, but I guess it makes sense that this was what the author meant.

#159 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

to delay aging.

Interesting.

The Finnish study you linked to is interesting. The study shows an optimal range of 16/24ng/mL. 24 ng/mL is one half the 49 ng/mL frequently previously recommended in Imminst Vitamin D posts. Also, it is less than LabCorp's low reference number of 32 ng/mL.

Today, in today's newspaper, there are warnings to not take too much Vitamin D. A recent Canadian/US study warns of the dangers of taking too much Vitamin D.

#160 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

Institute of Medicine Vitamin D Rebuttal - Joseph Mercola talks to Dr. John Cannell and Carole Baggerly.

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.c...u/4/eDO9A6sN7JU

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.c...u/3/VOdfN0gIXcI

Part 3:

http://www.youtube.c...u/2/T0Uc2U3JLAU

Part 4:

http://www.youtube.c...u/1/4wFYAIOiHEE

Part 5:

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/cOP-OAjA3pU
  • like x 1

#161 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

to delay aging.

Interesting.

The Finnish study you linked to is interesting. The study shows an optimal range of 16/24ng/mL. 24 ng/mL is one half the 49 ng/mL frequently previously recommended in Imminst Vitamin D posts. Also, it is less than LabCorp's low reference number of 32 ng/mL.

Today, in today's newspaper, there are warnings to not take too much Vitamin D. A recent Canadian/US study warns of the dangers of taking too much Vitamin D.

Here's another one that came up today on Science Daily: http://www.scienceda...01208083047.htm

Compare's Vitamin D levels in older women to frailty. Claims the sweet spot is between 20.0 and 29.9 ng/ml

A recent study accepted for publication in The Endocrine Society's Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism (JCEM) found that lower and higher vitamin D levels were associated with an increased likelihood of frailty in older women. Women with vitamin D levels between 20.0 and 29.9 ng/ml were at the lowest risk of frailty.

It's good that we're now getting some research providing info on the ceiling of beneficial Vit D levels.

#162 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

Does anyone else find Vitamin D excessively stimulating/anxiety-provoking? I take 2000IU, which has a very noticeable effect. Would lowering the dose help?

#163 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

Institute of Medicine Vitamin D Rebuttal - Joseph Mercola talks to Dr. John Cannell and Carole Baggerly.

Thanks. I am not a big fan of his articles, but these interviews were good.

#164 Guest_Eidnoga_*

• Lurker

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:30 AM

216 nM/L (I live in Canada). John Cannell of the Vitamin D Council says optimal levels are 135-200 nM/L.

back in canada eh?

what does nm/l convert to in ng/dl?

I had my levels tested a of weeks ago and was at 39. I was taking 2000 iu's and spending a lot of time outside all summer and that's all the higher it got. Now that winter is descending upon the upper midwest and the Sun is all but gone I'm up to 5000 iu's.

FWIW my Doctor said I should aim for 50ng/dl.

I've noticed that some measurements are in ng/ml, while others are in ng/dl. There is this difference even in published books and articles where Vitamin D supplementation is mentioned. What's up with that? 100 ml = 1 dl. That's a big difference, and the authors are usually saying to aim for serum levels of around "50 ng/ml" or "50 ng/dl," which obviously are very different.

Edited by Eidnoga, 20 February 2011 - 02:30 AM.

#165 Alec

• 88 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:00 AM

I usually get about 200 to 600 iu a day.

I searched a bit and I didn't find this posted. If it was, sorry.

Vitamin D and mucosal immune function.
Sun J.

Department of Medicine, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA. jun_sun@urmc.rochester.edu

Abstract
PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Significant advances have been made in the characterization of Vitamin D and the Vitamin D receptor (VDR) in immune function. The studies of signaling pathways involved in the response to infection and inflammation have led to a more detailed understanding of the cellular response to Vitamin D through VDR. This review summarizes recent progress in understanding how Vitamin D contributes to mucosal immune function, particularly in relation to the molecular mechanisms by which Vitamin D and VDR influence mucosal immunity, bacterial infection, and inflammation.

RECENT FINDINGS: Recently, it was shown that Vitamin D modulates the T cell antigen receptor, further demonstrating that Vitamin D has a nonclassical role in immunoregulation. The anti-inflammation and anti-infection functions for Vitamin D are newly identified and highly significant activities. Vitamin D/VDR have multiple critical functions in regulating the response to intestinal homeostasis, tight junctions, pathogen invasion, commensal bacterial colonization, antimicrobe peptide secretion, and mucosal defense. Interestingly, microorganisms modulate the VDR signaling pathway.

SUMMARY: Vitamin D is known as a key player in calcium homeostasis and electrolyte and blood pressure regulation. Recently, important progress has been made in understanding how the noncanonical activities of Vitamin D influence the pathogenesis and prevention of human disease. Vitamin D and VDR are directly involved in T cell antigen receptor signaling. The involvement of Vitamin D/VDR in anti-inflammation and anti-infection represents a newly identified and highly significant activity for VDR. Studies have indicated that the dysregulation of VDR may lead to exaggerated inflammatory responses, raising the possibility that defects in Vitamin D and VDR signaling transduction may be linked to bacterial infection and chronic inflammation. Further characterization of Vitamin D/VDR will help elucidate the pathogenesis of various human diseases and in the design of new approaches for prevention and treatment.

Edited by Alec, 01 March 2011 - 01:03 AM.

#166 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

5,000 IU per day. I go to a University that's in an area that's notorious for snowfall, lack of sunlight, and all-around bad weather.

#167 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:23 AM

Int J Epidemiol. 2011 Jan 25. [Epub ahead of print]

Vitamin D and all-cause mortality among adults in USA: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Linked Mortality Study.
Ford ES, Zhao G, Tsai J, Li C

60 to <75 nmol/l had lowest HR.

#168 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

J Bone Miner Res. 2011 Mar;26(3):455-7. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.328.
Why the IOM recommendations for vitamin D are deficient.
Heaney RP, Holick MF.

#169 triplecrown

• 98 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:06 PM

My recent vitamin d test showed that had a vitamin d level of 35.8 ng/ml. I currently take 2000ius per day. I was curious as to how much I should take to get to the optimum levels of 50-65 ng/ml?

PS I don't get much sunlight, as I work night shift and sleep during the day.

#170 Master Yoda

• 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:28 AM

My recent vitamin d test showed that had a vitamin d level of 35.8 ng/ml. I currently take 2000ius per day. I was curious as to how much I should take to get to the optimum levels of 50-65 ng/ml?

I'm in exactly the same boat working nights and sleeping during the day.

How long have you been taking 2000iu per day to get a vitamin d level of 35.8 ng/ml?

I've been taking 2000iu of oil based Vitamin d3 for 5 weeks but havnt had any tests done.

#171 triplecrown

• 98 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

How long have you been taking 2000iu per day to get a vitamin d level of 35.8 ng/ml?

I've been taking 2000iu of oil based Vitamin d3 for 5 weeks but havnt had any tests done.

I've been taking 2000iu daily for about a year. I'm thinking about bumping up to 4000iu oil based and maybe retesting a little down the road.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#172 Master Yoda

• 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

I've been taking 2000iu daily for about a year. I'm thinking about bumping up to 4000iu oil based and maybe retesting a little down the road.

You will be lucky to get above 50 ng/ml at 4000iu per day, you may need at least 5000iu, however, going by your test at 2000iu per day It should get you well above 40 ng/ml. I guess its best to increase gradually and retest until you reach your goal.

I'm trying to get mine between 30 and 45 ng/ml, thats why I asked how long you had been taking 2000iu per day to reach 35.8. I know everyone's different but as a fellow night worker with limited sun exposure it gives a rough benchmark :cool:

cheers

Edited by Master Yoda, 02 May 2011 - 07:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users