- - - - -

Looks like Propranolol screwed me over.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

I was taking 40-80mg a day of propranolol for my anxiety. When I noticed that I started sweating in my hands a lot and that the feeling of most textures were making me anxious, I figured it upregulated my beta receptors and I went off it cold turkey (probably a mistake) in hopes that the receptors would downregulate quickly. Looks like they're staying put. My hands are shaking now too. In the past few years they would only shake when I was on SSRIs or certain medications. It's been 4 years since my hands would shake without being on one of those medications. Not sure what to do now. It's been two weeks.

Beware Propranolol and upregulation.

#2 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

You should beware of most bp meds. Guanfacine is much better about withdrawing, though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:14 AM

Interesting, I've not had any problems with propranolol. I used to take it when giving large presentations.

#4 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

Essential tremors indicate low dopamine. Low dopamine would be a result of using an SSRI, particularly if you need to increase both catecholamines and serotonin. Either phenylalaine or tyrosine should help reduce those tremors with the proper augmenting nutrients like some b vitamins.

You would also need to balance your catecholamines with serotonin.

Improper methylation though might cause problems with NE converting into E at levels you don't want.

You should either use SAMe or individual aminos for 5HT and DA but not a combo of both of those.

#5 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

Don't quit propranolol cold turkey. That's just dumb. The rebound effect can actually kill you, especially at the dose you were taking. If the Sx are too hard for you to manage, think about starting again on a low dose and try to decrease this over time.

#6 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

Meds like these shouldn't be taken continously for a prolonged time IMHO (esp. if that's for anxiety, not for BP problems)... In short bursts, or just when you need it (like presentations or important events..)..

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

Meds like these shouldn't be taken continously for a prolonged time IMHO (esp. if that's for anxiety, not for BP problems)... In short bursts, or just when you need it (like presentations or important events..)..

Yeah I definitely regret quitting it cold turkey. In my mind I thought if I quit it cold turkey then the receptors would quickly redownregulate in a week. But I am still coming off of it. Bad idea.

I don't think my tremors are caused by lack of dopamine because I take 5mg selegiline a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users