Photo
- - - - -

My Moderate carb/protein/fat/calorie Diet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

First of all I want to thank many people here for their indispensable arguments and insights into dietary phenomenon. Through the last 2 months of research on this site and other's I have devised a dietary regimen that I believe suits me (and perhaps others?) without causing starvation, advanced glycation nor any poor biomarkers as a result. As always I am opened to suggestions and add ons. First let me explain my objectives. Moderate everything with the exception of AGEs which I am aiming for the low spectrum with. I also want to note that I have started taking benfotiamine daily, which should have an effect on blood glycation and AGE formation of the moderate carbs I am consuming. Here is an example of what I eat during a given day. Some days I eat less as a result of being full from the previous days consumption, so on those days I stick mainly with proteins and fats like fish and olive oil, etc.

In the morning

3-4 hard boiled eggs with a glass of low sodium V8 and Neufchatel cheese on moderate carb toasted Jewish Rye bread (15 grams of carb per slice).

After workout I will have a whey protein shake (using 2% organic milk, please tell me if you think this is good/bad) with 2 tablespoons of Almond butter added for extra calories and fat.

For lunch I will have a salad consisting of Fresh spinach, tomatoes, olive oil and pieces of bumblebee salmon from a bagged package with 2-3 handfuls of mixed nuts for added protein and calories. Or I will have celery sticks dipped in hummus or smothered in almond butter.

Some days I will make egg/shrimp salad using hardboiled eggs, medium shrimp, olive oil, hummus and various spices (opinions?)

Between lunch and dinner I will have a serving of greek yogart with blueberries and maybe some macadamia nuts added.

For dinner I might have either low carb pasta (8 grams of carb per serving) with organic tomatoe sauce, or an eggplant parmesan (baked, not fried) with a side of jumbo shrimp and a bowl of lightly boiled carrots.

In the evening another whey protein shake made with spring water.

btw I drink between 6-8 glasses of fres spring water daily both during and between meals.

Another constant snack is dark 85% chocolate, often eaten as a late night snack (strange I know). I generally consume about half a bar at a time.

Edit: I forgot to add that I add spirulina to my shakes and yogurt on most days. Approximately 2 teaspoons.

This is basically an example, not a fully outlined dietary plan, but I think I look and feel great on this diet thus far. Tell me what you think please.

Edited by TheFountain, 31 March 2009 - 11:12 PM.

#2 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

No comments? Is my diet not extreme enough?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

I'll just comment that a half bar of 88% dark chocolate is generally a good snack at any time of day, however there are enough stimulant chemicals in there to disrupt your sleep if you are the sensitive type.

#4 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

I'll just comment that a half bar of 88% dark chocolate is generally a good snack at any time of day, however there are enough stimulant chemicals in there to disrupt your sleep if you are the sensitive type.

I'd use pastured cream diluted with water with the whey protein instead of 2% milk. You'll avoid the lactose and casein and it should taste about the same.

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

I'd use pastured cream diluted with water with the whey protein instead of 2% milk. You'll avoid the lactose and casein and it should taste about the same.

I have been wondering what I should transition over to in place of the milk for that extra 150 calories and fat. Wouldn't the benfotiamine, in theory, prevent some of the AGE formation from the Galactose?

#6 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:19 PM

I have been wondering what I should transition over to in place of the milk for that extra 150 calories and fat. Wouldn't the benfotiamine, in theory, prevent some of the AGE formation from the Galactose?

Not sure about the second question other than that it's better to avoid having to prevent it in the first place. 3 tablespoons of cream gets you the 150 calories.

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:25 PM

Not sure about the second question other than that it's better to avoid having to prevent it in the first place. 3 tablespoons of cream gets you the 150 calories.

Cream still has lactose in it though. Does it for some reason not break down the same way milk does? Perhaps because it digests more slowly so the enzymatic break down is tolerated differently?

EDIT: I am guessing the forementioned as well as higher fat content has something to do with it. But then why is butter high in AGEs?

Edited by TheFountain, 01 April 2009 - 11:35 PM.

#8 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

Cream still has lactose in it though. Does it for some reason not break down the same way milk does? Perhaps because it digests more slowly so the enzymatic break down is tolerated differently?

I hadn't realized that. But in any case, I'd rather consume the 2.9% lactose in 3 tablespoons (1.5 ozs) of heavy cream than the 4.9% lactose in 8 ozs of 2% milk, a roughly 90% reduction.

http://ourworld.comp...per/percent.htm

#9 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:33 AM

That's good advice. I went for years not drinking milk, but now I'm addicted to eating plain rolled oats with milk. I'll try that with cream and water next time.

#10 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

I think you take in too much milkfat.

#11 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

Hey if anyone thinks my diet is outright ridiculous, speak up. I am opened and accepting of criticisms. In fact I need them.

#12 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

Not ridiculous at all, but FWIW I like to avoid big protein sources in the mornings (like eggs, whey powder .. buffalo on a spear etc.), and just have a cup of tea or black coffee, and some carbs *not much* (alternating fruits, whole grains, vegetables) to possibly dismantle proteins damaged from glycation and radicals, - if you're avoiding too much protein and fats you're gonna keep insulin levels lower *yes* if eating carbs, and thus slow the free radical production long-term. During the later day I'll have more protein and fat, also to help 'rebuilding' the body (Human Growth Hormone production) during the night.

#13 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

First let me explain my objectives. Moderate everything with the exception of AGEs

I think that is an excellent approach, which I share. I only have only one criticism, which is that the variety of vegetables in your diet seems very limited. (Based on assuming that this is your entire diet and not just a single day's snapshot.)

There are good reasons to include cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, and more brightly colored vegetables such as red peppers, squash or pumpkin, sweet potatoes, beets, and so on. I also think it is a good idea to vary one's diet from day to day.

#14 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

Not ridiculous at all, but FWIW I like to avoid big protein sources in the mornings (like eggs, whey powder .. buffalo on a spear etc.), and just have a cup of tea or black coffee, and some carbs *not much* (alternating fruits, whole grains, vegetables) to possibly dismantle proteins damaged from glycation and radicals, - if you're avoiding too much protein and fats you're gonna keep insulin levels lower *yes* if eating carbs, and thus slow the free radical production long-term. During the later day I'll have more protein and fat, also to help 'rebuilding' the body (Human Growth Hormone production) during the night.

I am trying to stay away from blunt grains at this point, and hopefully, in the near future, ween myself off the rye bread. But At 14 grams of carb and 80 calories per slice, I don't think it's too much of a compromise. I'm basically seeing if I can replace my bodies 'fuel source' mechanism, from carbs to fatty acids. I just want to see what happens. Plus I think that since I am now eating a lot of eggs I should thwart my carb intake as carbs+eggs=cholesterol markers going up. Whereas Eggs alone does not.

#15 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:09 AM

First let me explain my objectives. Moderate everything with the exception of AGEs

I think that is an excellent approach, which I share. I only have only one criticism, which is that the variety of vegetables in your diet seems very limited. (Based on assuming that this is your entire diet and not just a single day's snapshot.)

There are good reasons to include cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, and more brightly colored vegetables such as red peppers, squash or pumpkin, sweet potatoes, beets, and so on. I also think it is a good idea to vary one's diet from day to day.

I actually do eat sweet peppers, onions, and broccoli occasionally also. But since I am trying to curb carb intake a bit, have opted to stay away from potatoes. Right now my main vegetables are fresh spinach and tomatoes. But I will intersperse these other's into the mix intermittently. Besides, I am still convinced (perhaps naively?) that the V8 still has some nutrients in it.

Edited by TheFountain, 05 April 2009 - 01:14 AM.

#16 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

I actually do eat sweet peppers, onions, and broccoli occasionally also. But since I am trying to curb carb intake a bit, have opted to stay away from potatoes. Right now my main vegetables are fresh spinach and tomatoes. But I will intersperse these other's into the mix intermittently. Besides, I am still convinced (perhaps naively?) that the V8 still has some nutrients in it.

#17 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

Anyone else eat eat cheese and/or drink milk while taking benfotiamine? I am assuming the Nuftachel cheese has less AGE content than normal cream cheese. But I may be wrong?

#18 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:19 PM

I am cutting cheese and milk out of my diet as soon as I finish my current supply of them, due to the AGEs content of these particular forms of pasteurized dairy. I wonder if the same should apply to organic Yogurt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users