- - - - -

Sleep and diet problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tobithus

• 14 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:46 AM

Hello all,

I am having a problem with sleep (I spend 20 hours in bed almost every day, even going back to bed during the day) It's making me lose weight and muscle mass and making my depression and hypertonia worse.

I also have a problem with too little food. Yesterday (Jan 7.) I only had some bread and some Pepsi for breakfast, a sports drink mid-morning and an iced tea at lunch, with lots of water in between. I ended up being sick, which is unusual, but there was a heatwave.

I typically have very little appetite and besides that am unable to cook for myself; my support workers or my Mum cook for me.

Any advice?

#2 outlawpoet

• 140 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

er, ask a doctor?

This isn't a forum for sound medical advice by any means, as few or none of us are liscenced medical practicioners.

On the other hand, these symptoms are consistent with depression, lack of excercise, and perhaps a few other exaberating conditions. If you're unable to eat much food, ensure that the food you do eat is healthful as you can get. Certainly lay off the pepsis and sports drinks!

Try and find some time and motivation to be physically active. I've never been very good at this, but I try to find time to do so when I can. Even just walking around outside for a while can be enough. Bop down to the store, or just explore your local environment. I also manage to get some stretching and minor isometrics done while watching movies, reading, etc.

Depression, when chronic, can be a serious problem, which requires the attention of a psychiatrist and/or personal doctor. I've been depressed, and I find if I have activities or things that require my attention it gets a little easier. You mention support workers, if you're unable to get out much, you have this wonderous computer, perhaps you can find responsibilities to take on online. the Internet is vast. If you have any programming aptitude, check sourceforge for many worthy projects to contribute to. Writers are always in demand on the internet, where content grows faster than people to describe it. Writing is a very demanding process that requires much work, and can be very rewarding.

If you find that your problems with sleep continue, even after behavioral modification, and change in diet, consider medication. Provigil, for example, is a broadly effective, anti-narcoleptic drug. But then, I'm no doctor, just a punk on a message board. So do your own research, and ask your own doctors.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tobithus

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 06:44 AM

Thanks

I under the care of a psychiatrist at the moment and go down to the service station or shopping centre quite often. I will discuss Provigil etc with my shrink.

#4 frozenboots

• 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:28 PM

Have you considered taking st johns wort its a herbal antidepresent?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 allnewsuperman

• 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 07:00 PM

Exercise, and stuff yourself with food as much as you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users