Photo
- - - - -

spirulina

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

I bought some spirulina today. I know there have been prior posts about it. but the stuff is pretty damn good... anyone have some good papers/studies on it.

#2 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

Curiously, what brand are you using? I used NOW once before and it has a very strong, almost undesirable flavor. Chlorella was more tolerable.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:58 AM

Curiously, what brand are you using? I used NOW once before and it has a very strong, almost undesirable flavor. Chlorella was more tolerable.

I bought store label Whole Foods brand. It has 5000 UI of Superoxide Dismutase, 30mg of GLA, and 1.5 mg of Zeaxanthin. I'm predisposed to risk for hypertension, so the SOD is ridiculously good. Stuff feels phenomenal.

#4 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:59 AM

I bought store label Whole Foods brand. It has 5000 UI of Superoxide Dismutase, 30mg of GLA, and 1.5 mg of Zeaxanthin. I'm predisposed to risk for hypertension, so the SOD is ridiculously good. Stuff feels phenomenal.

I'm not doubting that the stuff is good for you, but the Superoxide Dismutase probably isn't what's doing it, as it is poorly absorbed orally.

http://www.thirdage....oxide-dismutase

So you feel good when you eat this product? Hmmm, this is consistent with a lot of anecdotal evidence of people consuming green stuff. Maybe I'll look into picking some up at the co-op this week.

#5 jessicantique

• 104 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

i love the Earthrise brand spirulla,

it's very handy, i keep the bottle in my office , as snack sometimes, it tastes good for me,
i also take Yaeyama Chlorella (Source Naturals), i pick it because it doesn't have any fillers or binding agents. and tastes great.
here's the description of yaeyama chlorella::
"""Promotes Energy, Vitality, And Natural Cleansing. Yaeyama Chlorella is 100% fresh-water chlorella, grown on the coral reef island of Ishigaki, Japan. Chlorella may enhance health naturally by supporting the immune system and promoting energy, vitality, and natural cleansing.

Yaeyama Chlorella is rich in chlorella growth factor (CGF), vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll, beta-carotene, and other phytonutrients. It is spray dried using a special process that breaks the cell wall, yet preserves the nutrients within, ensuring a highly digestible and nutrient-rich product. Source Naturals® Yaeyama Chlorella contains absolutely no added binders, fillers, or flow agents. ""

i am a believer of superfood like mushroom, spirulla, chlorealla, ... , one point to note is that it's important to know the source of the supplement, spirulla and chlorealla are sourced from sea, and sea pollulant is common.. , [/size][/font]

Edited by jessicantique, 07 April 2009 - 04:30 AM.

#6 jessicantique

• 104 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

I'm not doubting that the stuff is good for you, but the Superoxide Dismutase probably isn't what's doing it, as it is poorly absorbed orally.

http://www.thirdage....oxide-dismutase

So you feel good when you eat this product? Hmmm, this is consistent with a lot of anecdotal evidence of people consuming green stuff. Maybe I'll look into picking some up at the co-op this week.

how about this???
http://www.glisodin.com/index1.php

#7 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

how about this???
http://www.glisodin.com/index1.php

yea i think i am gonna buy some of this glisodin stuff today. i just have to sort whether it will repair my cardiovascular system but make me a mental retard.

#8 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Lts of phenylalanine in it. Probably why you feel good.

#9 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Lts of phenylalanine in it. Probably why you feel good.

not on the ingredients list, wonder how much may be in there.

the largest ingredients in this thing are Vitamin A and SOD.

i sucked on the 2 spirulina tabs i took yesterday like they were a lozenge, so some of the SOD had to have passed through w/o being killed by gastric juices. i tend to absorb things very fast anyway, has to do with a hypertensive etiology.

Edited by prophets, 07 April 2009 - 10:09 AM.

#10 RoadToAwe

• 60 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

anyone have some good papers/studies on it.

A comprehensive article that appeared in The Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association.

The Potential Application of Spirulina (Arthrospira) as a Nutritional and Therapeutic Supplement in Health Management

#11 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:23 AM

I've read only good things about Spirulina. I take about 1mg x3 daily (some say it's too low, and should be started at about 6mg). Didn't feel any noticeable effect (much like with most of the supps I take). At the very least it's a natural source of vitamins, which is preferable to the manufactured kinds.

#12 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

Steelsky: You must mean GRAMS and not mg. Heh...

I'm finishing up my first bottle of Nutrex Hawaiian Spirulina at 4-6g/day, and I definitely notice a positive effect. I didn't notice anything with the Earthrise brand at 2g/day, so perhaps the dose was too low.

Phenylalanine huh? I actually have some with me so I can test that against the spirulina, but there'd be no way to guess equivalent dose...seems pointless.

I'm going to continue taking the Spirulina for the GLA, mood/energy, possible physical performance improvement, and quality calories.

I also use yaeyama Chlorella at 2-3g/day. I notice nothing, but I'll continue taking it for now.

One concern: If you take too much then you'll be ingesting a lot of IRON. I get my blood drawn regularly, however.

#13 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

Steelsky: You must mean GRAMS and not mg. Heh...

I'm finishing up my first bottle of Nutrex Hawaiian Spirulina at 4-6g/day, and I definitely notice a positive effect. I didn't notice anything with the Earthrise brand at 2g/day, so perhaps the dose was too low.

Yeah, silly me. I take 2g-3.5g of the Swanson brand. Can't say I've noticed a noticeable change. Still, it might not be noticeable but still present, and the components seem to suggest that its at least a great supp combo.

#14 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

maybe it's me, but after i ingest spirulina i predictably get a shooting pain in a few spots on my body, most notably in my ear and my heart. almost like this stuff is revved up w/ some kind of stimulant. i guess it's the phenylaine?

#15 athrahasis

• 49 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:07 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on this: E3live?

Supplement Facts: Protein <1g; Trans Fat 0g; Vitamin A 1890 IU 38% daily value; Vitamin K 34mcg 43% daily value; Riboflavin 49 mcg 3% daily value; Vitamin B1 27 mcg 117% daily value; Organic Liquid AFA Algae (Fresh-frozen Aphanizomenon flos-aquae)

#16 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

Update: In a few days I'll run out of Spirulina and I'll need to decide whether or not to re-order.

I wanted to point out that spirulina's b12 content and bio-availability is under question. In one study it was suggested that spirulina may decrease b12 levels overall by decreasing available intrinsic factor.

Wikipedia b12 page: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Vitamin_B12 (mentions spirulina)

Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10552882

Spirulina definitely does help in the short-term. I'll probably hold off on re-ordering and see if I feel a major difference between the spirulina and some phenylalanine.

For the record: Eating a serving of Wild Salmon has a greater effect than spirulina. I like that I feel a difference, but if it's inhibiting intrinsic factors in the long-run, then forget it. I'll just eat my salmon.

#17 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

from another thread:

That supplement doesn't contain anything magical. Just take the amino acids alone to achieve the same effect (which will probably be relatively minor) for less money and without having to take l-dopa which increases oxidative stress in the brain.

http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=314231

anyone know if Spirulina increases oxidative stress on the brain through this pathway? or is it rate limited somehow by how the body uptakes the phenylalanine --> tyrosine --> l-dopa?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:32 AM

from another thread:

That supplement doesn't contain anything magical. Just take the amino acids alone to achieve the same effect (which will probably be relatively minor) for less money and without having to take l-dopa which increases oxidative stress in the brain.

http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=314231

anyone know if Spirulina increases oxidative stress on the brain through this pathway? or is it rate limited somehow by how the body uptakes the phenylalanine --> tyrosine --> l-dopa?

According to your quote - l-dopa is what increases the stress...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users