* * * * * 1 votes

Sunday Evening Update April 19th, 6pm EST, 2200 GMT

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

Live interview with Aubrey De Grey of the SENS Foundation, Sunday April 19th, 6pm eastern, 2200 GMT

Watch here: Sunday Evening Update Channel

Imminst TV

From Wikipedia:

Aubrey David Nicholas Jasper de Grey (born 20 April 1963 in London, England) is an English biomedical gerontologist.

De Grey is the author of the mitochondrial free-radical theory of aging, and the general-audience book Ending Aging, a detailed description of how regenerative medicine may be able to thwart the aging process altogether within a few decades. He works on the development of what he has termed "Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence" (SENS) - a tissue-repair strategy intended to rejuvenate the human body and thereby allow an indefinite lifespan. To this end, he has identified seven types of molecular and cellular "damage" caused by essential metabolic processes; SENS is a proposed panel of therapies to repair this damage.[1]

De Grey has been interviewed in recent years in many news sources, including CBS 60 Minutes, BBC, the New York Times, Fortune Magazine, the Washington Post, TED, Popular Science and The Colbert Report. His main activities at present are as chairman and chief science officer of the Methuselah Foundation[2] and editor-in-chief of the academic journal Rejuvenation Research.

Q&A with Aubrey from the Methuselah Foundation Website:

1. Get to the point. How long do you think I could live?

The answer to that question is of course very speculative, because it depends enormously on (a) how fast the research goes and (b) how long one is naturally predisposed to live even without these advances. I've said in the past that the first person to live to 1000 was probably born by 1945, and the first person to live to 150 probably by 1935, but those are people who would naturally live to 110. Conversely, lots of people are not predisposed to live beyond 70, and they have very little chance of benefiting from these therapies if they are already 50 or older.

Because of this uncertainty, I find it preferable (both for myself and when discussing this with others) to think not so much in terms of how long I can expect to live, but instead to focus on three other things:

1. Whatever one's probability may be of living to a given age, one will increase that probability by acting to hasten the research and by looking after one's own health.
2. Younger people obviously have a better chance of benefiting, since they're be more likely to still be alive when the therapies arrive, so if you don't think your chances are very good, focus on the fact that your kids' chances will be improved if we accelerate this work.
3. Globally, 100,000 people die of aging every day. Thus, if we can bring the defeat of aging even one day closer by our actions today, we'll save 100,000 lives. If we advance it by a year, we save 35 million lives. These are pretty staggering numbers, and pretty good reasons to get our act together without delay.

Attached Files

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:52 AM

Lets get 50+ viewers for this one.

Please rsvp here.

Also let us know if you want to get in on the promoters team for this show. We are setting up a temporary team to promote for this Sunday Evening Update show. We will meet at imminst.org/tv from an hour to two hours before the show to promote. We will go over strategies then. We also need permanent promoters to fill the positions. If your interested in one then let us know and we'll sign you up. The incentive is that your helping this huge, crucial, vital, growing cause. The only other thing we offer so far is that all team members will be published in the imminst newsletter for sure, and then probably other sources also. Another thing that some of us are working on is a prize system for volunteers. That may come along too, but again, most of all, its for the cause.

The cause is growing every where in general, the electricity of the meme is slowly charging the world. As fast as the Immortality Institute is growing, the Methuselah Foundation and everything it works with is growing ten times faster. Youll want to be there for this important Sunday Evening Update for sure. Amongst many new exciting developments are the new SENS Foundation materializing, and a monument for the MF 300 going up.

Edited by brokenportal, 10 April 2009 - 09:03 PM.

#3 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:57 AM

I'll be there :)

And I've sent an email to the members of Heales.

Edited by JediMasterLucia, 10 April 2009 - 06:12 AM.

#4 Anthony

• Guest, F@H
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

I'm going to try to make it. By the way, how do I get rid of the default screen name (and change it to Anthony)?

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:47 PM

Just want to make sure everyone is aware that the Aubrey interview is Sunday April 19th, which is next Sunday. This Sunday is April 12th (Easter).

#6 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

I should be there.

#7 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

I hope to be there as well.

#8 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

I will probably be there, have to work but should make it back in time.

#9 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

I will probably be able to be there.

#10 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

So Mind, which is it gonna be?

Posted Image

#11 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

I am actually hoping to set the record (currently 47). We have plenty of time to promote it.

#12 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

So Mind, which is it gonna be?

Posted Image

I think one of these:

Posted Image

#13 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

I'll be there

#14 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

One of the first topics I will want to delve into is the recent restructuring of the Methuselah Foundation - split into 2 entities. More discussion here.

As always, whether research or outreach related, please list questions for Aubrey here in the forum so we can compile a list for the show.

#15 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

I will want to get a sense of how things have progressed over the last few years. Aubrey's ideas have been around a while and MF has grown quite a bit. What have been and continue to be the biggest stumbling blocks to achieving indefinite life extension? What is the biggest success thus far?

#16 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

Question 1: How did the economic downturn affect SENS donations and partnerships? What does it do to the timeline they had in mind?
Question 2: Is Aubrey happy with the MFURI project? Does it provide the hoped for bang-for-the buck? (i.e. cheap undergrads doing some meaningful research :) )

#17 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

Question #1: Given today's available biological technology -- what is your viewpoint between hormesis (methods of endogenous upregulation of defense mechanisms), antioxidant supplementation, and the potential trade-offs that seem to occur between the two? How would you approach supplementation if at all and how do you look at it in the context of a hormetic approach?

#18 AaronCW

• Guest, F@H
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:01 AM

Looking forward to it

#19 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

Question: what was Audrey referring too when he answered

Wait one more week please... two at most...

to people asking for news? (in late March, here and here)

Was it about the institute split, or was it about some real scientific advance/paper?

#20 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

Last call for questions. Show starts in about 50 minutes.

#21 marainein

• 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

If it's not too late:

I've seen the list of proposed therapies for each of the the 7 SENS strands...is there any sort of backup list, in case some of these therapies hit stumbling blocks?

#22 Anthony

• Guest, F@H
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

Excellent interview--even with the technical problems.

BTW, I think the individual who mentioned "Butler" is referring to Robert N. Butler, who authored 'The Longevity Revolution.' The book deals, in large part, with ageism and societal issues surrounding aging. Butler does not discuss programmed theories vs. damage related theories in his work. In fact, I don't think Butler is (was) a bench scientist; he's an administrative type.

#23 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

You're a good sport Mind.

Posted Image

I definitely agree - when it comes to cat food, stick with the dry stuff.

#24 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:36 PM

thx Aubrey & Mind.

#25 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

If it's not too late:

I've seen the list of proposed therapies for each of the the 7 SENS strands...is there any sort of backup list, in case some of these therapies hit stumbling blocks?

Good question, some of us think we should help to facilitate the growth of such a list more directly. If you want to get in on more discussions about that, you or anybody, then let us know, pm me and mention it here. There are a couple of projects developing surrounding the concept. For example, a contest, and a researcher forums with peer reviewed journals included. Then also a lab that is for a broader range of projects, and a couple of undergrad funds that can all potentially tie into this.

#26 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

Excellent interview--even with the technical problems.

BTW, I think the individual who mentioned "Butler" is referring to Robert N. Butler, who authored 'The Longevity Revolution.' The book deals, in large part, with ageism and societal issues surrounding aging. Butler does not discuss programmed theories vs. damage related theories in his work. In fact, I don't think Butler is (was) a bench scientist; he's an administrative type.

Right, I was surprised to see that that book was about longevity "revolution" but that it didnt talk more about stuff like sens. It gave it a mention on one line in one paragraph and wasnt even the point of the paraghraph. I would think that it would have gotten its own paragraph at the very least.

Some people think that compression of morbidity in longevity research is a revolution. Wait till they see whats coming. That guys going to want to go back and write that into his book more.

#27 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:50 PM

the interview was indeed great :|o

Mind is eating wet catfood: ieuww

Attached File  mind2.jpg   37.78KB   27 downloads

Attached File  mind3.jpg   33.57KB   29 downloads

His cats likes the wet cat food

Attached File  cat2.jpg   36.75KB   31 downloads

#28 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

I apologize for the utter disaster that was the beginning of the show. I am unsure where the technical trouble arose from but it might have had to do with auto updates happening in the background. Aubrey and the audience were very good sports and we did get a pretty good interview. My sincerest apologies.

View the interview here.

One of the most interesting things I learned is that Aubrey will not be involved with Methuselah much at all, only with the SENS foundation. He confirmed that MFURI will become SFURI (SENS Foundation Undergraduate Research Initiative). He said the biggest advances he has seen in the last year or so have come from stem cell therapies. He admitted to being surprised that the Theil donation did not spur other big donors to come forward. They are going to try to generate some revenue in the future through licensing of IP instead of exclusively through donations. SENS is going to partner with a lab in Germany quite soon, but he could not say which one as of yet (they still have to sign the paperwork).

#29 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:56 PM

And yes, I stuck to my promise. Johan said we had 51 simultaneous viewers. This cat food segment was not recorded, so you will have to do with pictures.

#30 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:08 AM

that cat on the left looks like it needs some CR :|o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users