L onge C ity       Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

possible SSRI damage, please help.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MChain

• 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

Hey guys, I just wanted to get your take on my situation because I don't know what to do. I figure your knowledge of the brains' chemical pathways may be able to help me out.

Basically I took various SSRis (zolft, effexor, cymbalta) from the ages of 12-18 after being diagnosed with clinical depression when looking back I was really only sleep deprived and stressed out from school. I responded really well initially, but about 2/3 years after I started the meds I began to lose my emotional response to life--nothing made me sad (death etc), and I lost the ability to gain pleasure from things I enjoyed (reading, sports, whatever)...I guess you'd call this emotional blunting. Sick of this state, I quit the meds after my 1st semester of college (Jan 2008, off completely March 2008) and now its been about 12.5-13 months but my emotiosn havent come flooding back like I expected them too. I still can't cry (even when my uncle died last summer) and am almost perpetually detached and bored.

What do you think is causing this? Downregulated Dopamine, frontal lobe issues? Do you think it will resolve given time, or is there a possibility its permanent damage? If so, what would you reccomend I do?

#2 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

Exercise 3 times weekly, stay off SSRI's and tranqs and remain optimistic. Thats what I would do. Perhaps youre more normal than you think. Just my thoughts.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

I'd echo 2tender's advice. Also try to eat and sleep well. Proper diet, sleep, exercise and time will fix an awful lot of problems. One thing to consider is that you are comparing your present state as a young adult to your state as a child. Maybe your state is normal for your age, and your expectations are wrong. That's just a guess, not a diagnosis. If the natural approach doesn't get you where you want to be, you could consider psychotherapy or find a good psychiatrist. Maybe a little Wellbutrin? (Another guess...) Occam's razor would argue against brain damage and look for a simpler solution. SSRIs have a tendency to poop out over time, and your symptoms sound like a touch of depression. Maybe what you really need is to switch drugs again, perhaps to a different class, or play with dose. I would fully understand if you wanted to be done with SSRIs and other psych meds, however. On the supplement side of things, I'd consider 2000 IU of vitamin D, a good magnesium source, and fish oil. It's easy to be deficient in some or all of these, and they can all affect your mood. Both ALCAR and Green Tea Extract, particularly the GTE, have resulted in positive psych effects for me. Good luck with it; I hope you feel better soon.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:13 AM

I agree with the above that it is unlikely that it is brain damage. You maybe underestimating your depression before you went on them. If you are sick of drugs, then try accupuncture if you can afford it. A good diet and exercise will also help.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 15 April 2009 - 05:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users