Photo

Sarcopenia

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

A couple other threads mention Sarcopenia but we didn't have a dedicated thread so I thought I would put this here:

New drug increases muscle mass

As we get older, we lose muscle mass, mainly in the arms and legs. Endocrinologists say it can limit activities for seniors and cause frailty.

"By the time you've reached the age of 70, the average loss of muscle is about 6 kilograms, which is over 12 pounds," Michael Thorner, M.D., an endocrinologist at the University of Virginia Health System in Charlottesville, Va., told Ivanhoe.

A new drug called MK-677 has been shown to increase 20 percent of the lost muscle mass that occurs between mid-puberty and age 70 -- a significant boost in muscle.

"There were changes in body composition that far exceeded what I had expected," Dr. Thorner said.

The drug works by mimicking and stimulating the body's natural growth hormone, restoring hormone levels to those found in healthy 20- to 30-year-olds. The hormones help fuel muscle growth, which may help improve activity levels.

Anyone hear about this before? Anyone know what MK-677 is? The bold section above reads like many commercials I have seen for "growth hormone stimulators" I have seen in the past and set off my snake oil radar.

Related discussions:

delaying Sarcopenia through exercise

Hormone replacement and Sarcopenia

Heart shrinks with age
  • like x 1

#2 Anthony

• Guest, F@H
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

You can find several articles on MK-677 on UVA's search engine (see the link below). I think the information is credible; however, from what I can gather, the research is still in its early stages.

http://www.virginia......FORID:11#1155

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

Lack of copper-zinc superoxide dismutase = muscle loss

Van Remmen says. Van Remmen and colleagues found mitochondria became impaired without a certain anti-oxidant enzyme to balance the formation of harmful reactive oxygen species. When the researchers analyzed normal mice and mice genetically engineered to lack this anti-oxidant enzyme -- called copper-zinc superoxide dismutase -- they found reduced mitochondria function in the enzyme-deficient mice contributed to more cell death and muscle atrophy. "The impaired function of mitochondria also has a detrimental effect on the way motor neurons 'talk' to the muscle to achieve muscle contraction,"

#4 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

ive read about mk-677 before. if i recall correctly, it is sort of like a designer version of HGH, but it doesn't illicit an insulin response. part of the problem w/ HGH is that people become diabetic while using it for an extended period of time, and MK-677 doesn't have that drawback.

the best way to deal w/ sarcopenia today really is a bit of whey protein and hitting the weights. it'd be nice if everything were solvable by pills, but it seems unlikely at this point.

#5 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

Ginkgo Biloba

http://www.google.co...kZ9vvKzgLt9Xr2A

Also, I would think that creatine might be helpful.

I agree that hitting the weights is the best natural way to prevent muscle loss.
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#6 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

Ginkgo Biloba

I agree that hitting the weights is the best natural way to prevent muscle loss.

Hitting the weights only works for so long, muscles deteriorate at the end of life. Even the most fit and/or muscular people lose muscles to sarcopenia late in life, so something more radical is needed in these instances.

Otherwise, certainly lifting weights and some supplements help maintain muscle mass.

#7 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

Ginkgo Biloba

Hitting the weights only works for so long, muscles deteriorate at the end of life. Even the most fit and/or muscular people lose muscles to sarcopenia late in life, so something more radical is needed in these instances.

Otherwise, certainly lifting weights and some supplements help maintain muscle mass.

The structure of the muscle changes as we change, and I'm not entirely sure those changes are hormone related. With aging, there is loss of motor neurons and a decrease in the numbers of motor axons available to innervate the muscles. There is also a decrease in the speed of transmission of impulses, neurotransmission, and receptor numbers. And there is loss of muscle fibers and a change in their characteristics. At the single fiber level, there is a decrease in fiber diameter, peak force adjusted for fiber size, and maximum shortening velocity with aging. Furthermore, changes in factors excreted by muscle cells suppress stem cells to make them do less repair. So our muscles decay.

#8 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

Ames suggested in a paper a combination of creatine, acetyl-l-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid in a paper a few years ago as a treatment for sarcopenia.

It is thought that with age, inefficient mitochondria out-reproduce functional mitochondria, so each muscle fiber has fewer mitochondri to product energy. It is a vicious cascade.

Resveratrol in Auwerx 2006 study was found to produce more and healthier, larger mitochondria in mouse muscle tissue. It may be it induces apoptosis of faulty mitochondria, allowing the healthy ones to proliferate. It is possible resveratrol could counter sarcopenia in so far as it is due to defective mitochondria, but this has not been tested in humans nor has anyone recommended it as a therapy that Iknow of.

#9 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Dec;285(6):E1205-15. Epub 2003 Aug 26.

Alcohol impairs leucine-mediated phosphorylation of 4E-BP1, S6K1, eIF4G, and mTOR in skeletal muscle.
Lang CH, Frost RA, Deshpande N, Kumar V, Vary TC, Jefferson LS, Kimball SR.

Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA. clang@psu.edu

Abstract
Acute alcohol (EtOH) intoxication impairs skeletal muscle protein synthesis. Although this impairment is not associated with a decrease in the total plasma amino acid concentration, EtOH may blunt the anabolic response to amino acids. To examine this hypothesis, rats were administered EtOH or saline (Sal) and 2.5 h thereafter were orally administered either leucine (Leu) or Sal. The gastrocnemius was removed 20 min later to assess protein synthesis and signaling components important in translational control of protein synthesis. Oral Leu increased muscle protein synthesis by the same magnitude in Sal- and EtOH-treated rats. However, the increase in the latter group was insufficient to overcome the suppressive effect of EtOH, and the rate of synthesis remained lower than that observed in rats from the Sal-Sal group. Leu markedly increased phosphorylation of Thr residues 36, 47, and 70 on 4E-binding protein (BP)1 in muscle from rats not receiving EtOH, and this response was associated with a redistribution of eukaryotic initiation factor (eIF) 4E from the inactive eIF4E. 4E-BP1 to the active eIF4E. eIF4G complex. In EtOH-treated rats, the Leu-induced phosphorylation of 4E-BP1 and changes in eIF4E availability were partially abrogated. EtOH also prevented the Leu-induced increase in phosphorylation of eIF4G, the serine/threonine protein kinase S6K1, and the ribosomal protein S6. Moreover, EtOH attenuated the Leu-induced phosphorylation of the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR). The ability of EtOH to blunt the anabolic effects of Leu could not be attributed to differences in the plasma concentrations of insulin, insulin-like growth factor I, or Leu. Finally, although EtOH increased the plasma corticosterone concentration, inhibition of glucocorticoid action by RU-486 was unable to prevent EtOH-induced defects in the ability of Leu to stimulate 4E-BP1, S6K1, and mTOR phosphorylation. Hence, ethanol produces a leucine resistance in skeletal muscle, as evidenced by the impaired phosphorylation of 4E-BP1, eIF4G, S6K1, and mTOR, that is independent of elevations in endogenous glucocorticoids.

PMID: 12944322 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free Article

Would this slow down sarcopenia?

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

Would this slow down sarcopenia?

The way I read it, getting drunk impairs muscle protein synthesis, so it would make sarcopenia worse.

#11 adamh

• 1,013 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

I don't think we are going to find any magic bullet here. Most likely it will be a combination of things. My guess is a good diet, regular exercise and things like creatine will help a lot. I noticed myself that I got muscle gain with creatine and I'm no spring chicken.

#12 Allen Walters

• 95 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

Mk-677 is a ghrelin mimetic,a hormone produced by the stomach that stimulates gh production. I have been giving it along with LGD-4033 to my 16yr old dog for about 6 months. The transformation has been amazing. She is more muscular now than when she was young. She was becoming very frail and now she runs like the wind. I have made up a liquid solution and am looking for people with elderly dogs to try and replicate my results. The upside to this is you don't have to worry about long term effects. If I knew how to add pics and videos I'd show you how she looks and runs now.

• Informative x 1

#13 pleiotropic

• 74 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

Any updates on sarcopenia treatments, or near side effect-free muscle building enhancers in younger people to preserve muscle mass and strength?  

#14 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

Any updates on sarcopenia treatments, or near side effect-free muscle building enhancers in younger people to preserve muscle mass and strength?  

you can look at Acceleron' ACE-083:

http://www.acceleron...oducts/ace-083/

in one of their old press releases they claim "demonstrated the ability of the compound to

increase muscle mass and strength in normal mice

and in murine models of muscular dystrophy"

... that was in 2007, and their candidate product was ace-031 ...

http://www.acceleron...ss-Release1.pdf

with 083  "Acceleron is conducting a phase 1 clinical trial of ACE-083 in healthy volunteers."

#15 12 String

• 58 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

SARMS - Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator

There are 4 or 5 used a lot by bodybuilders who don't want to inject steroids.

I tried them and they do work. They add strength and weight.

This reddit seems to almost exclusively to talk about them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PEDs

Many have been through phase 2 and phase 3 studies. They don't seem harmful. 

PS

Why are you asking about "younger people" needing to preserve muscle mass and strength? That shouldn't be a problem. Exercise!

#16 pleiotropic

• 74 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:48 AM

SARMS - Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator

https://www.reddit.com/r/PEDs

PS

Why are you asking about "younger people" needing to preserve muscle mass and strength? That shouldn't be a problem. Exercise!

Exercise indeed!  I want to enhance my exercise among all the other things I try to give attention in life.  

Don't forget that young healthy people also take cognitive enhancers to improve their motivation, attention and wakefulness to reach their goals faster and more reliably.  

#17 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

This is a good article emphasizing also the benefit of a creatine supplementation and its application strategy. I report the abstract and the conclusion here. I use a moderate amount before and after resistance training and also monitor my DHT level (which some say might be raised by creatine supplementation) to have it in range. DHT is reported enlarging your prostate.

Sarcopenia: current theories and the potential beneficial effect of creatine application strategies

Biogerontology (2011) 12:273–281, DOI 10.1007/s10522-011-9327-6

"Abstract. Sarcopenia, defined as the age-related loss of muscle mass, subsequently has a negative effect on strength, metabolic rate and functionality leading to a reduced quality of life. With the projected increase in life expectancy, the incidence of muscle loss may rise and further drain the health care system, with greater need for hospitalization, treatment, and rehabilitation. Without effective strategies to counteract aging muscle loss, a global health care crisis may be inevitable. Resistance training is well established to increase aging muscle mass and strength. However, muscle and strength loss is still evident in older adults who have maintained resistance training for most of their life, suggesting that other factors such as nutrition may affect aging muscle biology. Supplementing with creatine, a highenergy compound found in red meat and seafood, during resistance training has a beneficial effect on aging muscle. Emerging evidence now suggests that the timing and dosage of creatine supplementation may be important factors for aging muscle accretion. Unfortunately, the long-term effects of different creatine application strategies on aging muscle are relatively unknown...

Summary and future considerations. Sarcopenia is a major health concern and has a negative effect on functionality and quality of life. Resistance training is a strategy often recommended for older adults to preserve and/or increase muscle mass and strength. In addition to exercise, creatine supplementation has been shown to increase muscle mass and strength in the older population. However, the timing of creatine ingestion (i.e., 0.03–0.5 g kg-1 before and after resistance training sessions) may be more important than the quantity of creatine. These novel findings have immediate application for research and health professionals for the design of optimal creatine application strategies for older individuals. For example, emphasizing commercial creatine or food products that contain dietary creatine (i.e., red meat, seafood) in close proximity to resistance training sessions may augment muscle mass and strength to a greater extent than resistance training alone. Future research should investigate the mechanistic actions of long-term creatine supplementation, independent of resistance training, on aging muscle biology."

Edited by albedo, 19 September 2015 - 09:45 AM.

• Agree x 1

#18 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:07 AM

The research on tomatidine sounds like it could be revolutionary. A chemical in tomatoes is a natural anabolic. I would experiment on my lab rat except the cost is prohibitive.
  • like x 1

#19 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

Interesting Rocket, thank you for sharing.

I did not know about tomatidine. The molecule is known since long (e.g. see THIS publication, dated of 1951, underlining also the difficulties of extraction). Looks like a possible mechanism of action is via mTORC1 "...signaling and anabolism, leading to accumulation of protein and mitochondria, and ultimately, cell growth..." (1)

Interestingly, the same authors of the study on tomatidine also studied ursolic acid (it is contained in apples and holy basil) which I guess is more readily available in many supplemental anti-inflammatory formulations (e.g. Zyflamend). To the scope of sarcopenia, ursolic acid looks like acting on the insulin/IGF-1 signaling path: "...A natural compound enriched in apples, ursolic acid reduced muscle atrophy and stimulated muscle hypertrophy in mice. It did so by enhancing skeletal muscle insulin/IGF-I signaling..." (2)

It is a very interesting stuff considering how much debilitating and costly is the disease. Please keep posting.

(1) Systems-Based Discovery of Tomatidine as a Natural Small Molecule Inhibitor of Skeletal Muscle Atrophy

http://www.jbc.org/c...556241.abstract

(2) mRNA Expression Signatures of Human Skeletal Muscle Atrophy Identify a Natural Compound that Increases Muscle Mass

http://www.sciencedi...55041311100177X

Edited by albedo, 30 October 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#20 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

Interesting Rocket, thank you for sharing.

I did not know about tomatidine. The molecule is known since long (e.g. see THIS publication, dated of 1951, underlining also the difficulties of extraction). Looks like a possible mechanism of action is via mTORC1 "...signaling and anabolism, leading to accumulation of protein and mitochondria, and ultimately, cell growth..." (1)

Interestingly, the same authors of the study on tomatidine also studied ursolic acid (it is contained in apples and holy basil) which I guess is more readily available in many supplemental anti-inflammatory formulations (e.g. Zyflamend). To the scope of sarcopenia, ursolic acid looks like acting on the insulin/IGF-1 signaling path: "...A natural compound enriched in apples, ursolic acid reduced muscle atrophy and stimulated muscle hypertrophy in mice. It did so by enhancing skeletal muscle insulin/IGF-I signaling..." (2)

It is a very interesting stuff considering how much debilitating and costly is the disease. Please keep posting.

(1) Systems-Based Discovery of Tomatidine as a Natural Small Molecule Inhibitor of Skeletal Muscle Atrophy

http://www.jbc.org/c...556241.abstract

(2) mRNA Expression Signatures of Human Skeletal Muscle Atrophy Identify a Natural Compound that Increases Muscle Mass

http://www.sciencedi...55041311100177X

Ursolic acid has POOR bioavailability!  Many people on bodybuilding forums experiment with it and find out, like most supplements, they wasted their money.

But tomatidine on the other hand.......  It IS a steroid (p.s. not ALL anabolic steroids are bad!!) , found in the skins of green tomatoes.  Not only is it an anabolic and increased LBM 10% in mice when it was added to their diet, it doesn't come with "steroid like" affects such as causing an imbalance between LDL and HDL levels, and it doesn't shut down testosterone production.

This could very well be REVOLUTIONARY for everyone from bodybuilders and athletes, to the frail elderly. 

I've been trying to make contacts in China to see how cheap I can get a kilo of it.  No news yet.

I am shocked that no one is talking about this!!!  A legal, natural, healthy anabolic steroid, and no one is discussing this....??

Muscle wasting is one of the biggest problems of again, and again, no one is talking about this?  I would have figured this would have become the "new" Nicotinamide Riboside and there would be companies popping up and sell this stuff.

Edited by Rocket, 30 October 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#21 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

I came across this recent (Sept. 2015) study. Indeed it is strange tomatidine is not discussed more. Reputable companies such as the Life Extension Foundation should research on this but maybe the cost prohibitiveness you mention is discouraging so far? LEF is normally quite innovative and fast to market when they found there is one and safety profile is good. They fund research and I just wonder if you ever tried to look for a research grant with them. Considering the condition the product could be very interesting!

Identification and Small Molecule Inhibition of an ATF4-dependent Pathway to Age-related Skeletal Muscle Weakness and Atrophy

Abstract

Aging reduces skeletal muscle mass and strength, but the underlying molecular mechanisms remain elusive. Here, we used mouse models to investigate molecular mechanisms of age-related skeletal muscle weakness and atrophy, as well as new potential interventions for these conditions. We identified two small molecules that significantly reduce age-related deficits in skeletal muscle strength, quality and mass: ursolic acid (a pentacyclic triterpenoid found in apples) and tomatidine (a steroidal alkaloid derived from green tomatoes). Because small molecule inhibitors can sometimes provide mechanistic insight into disease processes, we used ursolic acid and tomatidine to investigate the pathogenesis of age-related muscle weakness and atrophy. We found that ursolic acid and tomatidine generate hundreds of small positive and negative changes in mRNA levels in aged skeletal muscle, and the mRNA expression signatures of the two compounds are remarkably similar. Interestingly, a subset of the mRNAs are repressed by ursolic acid and tomatidine in aged muscle are positively regulated by the transcription factor ATF4. Based on this finding, we investigated ATF4 as a potential mediator of age-related muscle weakness and atrophy. We found that a targeted reduction in skeletal muscle ATF4 expression reduces age-related deficits in skeletal muscle strength, quality and mass, similar to ursolic acid and tomatidine. These results elucidate ATF4 as a critical mediator of age-related muscle weakness and atrophy. In addition, these results identify ursolic acid and tomatidine as potential agents and/or lead compounds for reducing ATF4 activity, weakness, and atrophy in aged skeletal muscle.

http://www.jbc.org/c...681445.abstract

• like x 1

#22 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:08 AM

Seems like Immusoft is working on sarcopenia as well.

We'll see/learn more from their program, once they move into Phase I:

http://www.immusoft....#!pipeline/ciyf

• Informative x 1

#23 proileri

• 80 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:31 AM

For reference, currently known factors like testosterone, growth hormone and whey protein seem to be quite effective in combatting sarcopenia when combined with resistance training:

Whey + RT: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22698458

Testosterone + RT: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23533227

T + GH, no RT: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19293261

#24 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:04 PM

For reference, currently known factors like testosterone, growth hormone and whey protein seem to be quite effective in combatting sarcopenia when combined with resistance training:

Whey + RT: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22698458

Testosterone + RT: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23533227

T + GH, no RT: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19293261

The problem is that resistance training and T and HGH doesn't reverse sarcopenia... it mitigates the effects to a point by making bigger what muscle cells you have left.  Also with sarcopenia, every skeletal muscle in the body is affected and resistance training doesn't and can't hit every muscle that is affected.  Sarcopenia is akin to your house on fire and strength training and hormones are a garden hose to fight it.  Also sarcopenia is not a recognized disease, it's considered a normal part of aging, so good luck finding a doctor willing to prescribe testosterone and HGH to preserve muscle mass, you will get told to eat a well balanced meal and exercise.... thank you FDA. Take matters into your own hands with HGH and anabolics and you're a criminal... thank you US govt.  The tomatidine findings are very encouraging but probably don't address the underlying cause which is the loss of muscle stem cells, it sounds like a natural anabolic steroid. Anabolics in and of themselves are not a cure all.

Anabolics without resistance training and proper nutrition don't do anything or little for muscle.  Its a myth that if you take steroids and don't workout that you will gain muscle.  It doesn't happen like that.  You will gain what bodybuilders call water weight that makes you look fuller and heavier on the scale, but when you come off the anabolics, much of it is quickly lost. 

Edited by Rocket, 21 December 2015 - 01:06 PM.

• Agree x 1

#25 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

I tend to agree with Rocket. IMHO, sarcopenia is one of those conditions pointing to the many changes required in the health system. One one side, as the condition I read once is not "licensable" (meaning you do not have a regulatory body agreeing to license a drug in the market) you basically have no incentive whatsoever to find a cure and in parallel also leave the door open to limited efficacy interventions or worse dubious ones also potentially damaging. On the other side, if you make sarcopenia not just the loss of muscle mass but you put it in the context of a truly regenerative medice approach, à-la-Aubrey de Grey, as side effect of aging and determine its causes (aging itself?), then there are incentives to fund more research and find a cure. For the time being I am left only with trying minimalist interventions such as whey, creatine, you name it and, provided no changes, I will find no doctor in future potentiality following me on HGH.

#26 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

For the time being I am left only with trying minimalist interventions such as whey, creatine, you name it and, provided no changes, I will find no doctor in future potentiality following me on HGH.

MK-677 is a lot cheaper than HGH and more difficult to abuse. 

• Informative x 2

#27 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Platypus. Good to keep in mind. Here some research on it for my record. The first study is funded by the NIH and its a two-year, double-blind, placebo-controlled study involved 65 men and women ranging in age from 60 to 81...

Effects of an Oral Ghrelin Mimetic on Body Composition and Clinical Outcomes in Healthy Older Adults

"Results: Daily administration of MK-677 significantly increased growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor I levels to those of healthy young adults without serious adverse effects. Mean fat-free mass decreased in the placebo group but increased in the MK-677 group (change, 0.5 kg [95% CI, 1.1 to 0.2 kg] vs. 1.1 kg [CI, 0.7 to 1.5 kg], respectively; P 0.001), as did body cell mass, as reflected by intracellular water (change, 1.0 kg [CI, 2.1 to 0.2 kg] vs. 0.8 kg [CI, 0.1 to 1.6 kg], respectively; P 0.021). No significant differences were observed in abdominal visceral fat or total fat mass; however, the average increase in limb fat was greater in the MK-677 group than the placebo group (1.1 kg vs. 0.24 kg; P 0.001). Body weight increased 0.8 kg (CI, 0.3 to 1.8 kg) in the placebo group and 2.7 kg (CI, 2.0 to 3.5 kg) in the MK-677 group (P 0.003). Fasting blood glucose level increased an average of 0.3 mmol/L (5 mg/dL) in the MK-677 group (P 0.015), and insulin sensitivity decreased. The most frequent side effects were an increase in appetite that subsided in a few months and transient, mild lower-extremity edema and muscle pain. Lowdensity lipoprotein cholesterol levels decreased in the MK-677 group relative to baseline values (change, 0.14 mmol/L [CI, 0.27 to 0.01 mmol/L]; 5.4 mg/dL [CI, 10.4 to 0.4 mg/ dL]; P 0.026); no differences between groups were observed in total or high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels. Cortisol levels increased 47 nmol/L (CI, 28 to 71 nmol/L (1.7 g/dL [CI, 1.0 to 2.6 g/dL]) in MK-677 recipients (P 0.020). Changes in bone mineral density consistent with increased bone remodeling occurred in MK-677 recipients. Increased fat-free mass did not result in changes in strength or function. Two-year exploratory analyses confirmed the 1-year results."

...and in the same journal some editorial cautionary comments:

Use of Growth Hormone Secretagogues to Prevent or Treat the Effects of Aging: Not Yet Ready for Prime Time

"...Nass and colleagues, in their rigorously conducted study, clearly found that sustained use of an oral GHS for 1 to 2 years will maintain a youthful growth hormone and IGF-I hormonal profile and augment fat-free (lean body) mass. However, as with other published studies using growth hormone, GHRH, or MK-677, no functional or quality-of-life benefits and some unwanted and worrisome adverse effects (such as increased insulin resistance and decreased glucose tolerance) were observed...

... Clearly, many questions about the potential utility and safety of an oral GHS in older persons remain unanswered. What might be the optimal intervention paradigm, for what clinical outcomes, and in what populations? Would long-term administration of MK-677 or other secretagogues improve physical and psychological functions and quality of life; have different effects according to age or racial or genetic predisposition; overstimulate the pituitary gland or central nervous system, with increased risk for pituitary neoplasms or neurobehavioral dysfunction; increase cancer frequency in older individuals, who are already at greater risk for malignant diseases; or supplant the less physiologic and more costly use of recombinant growth hormone or injectable GHRH or its analogues? At present, the clinical use of growth hormone axis manipulation in aged persons should be restricted to carefully controlled clinical studies and is not ready for prime time. However, Nass and colleagues’ findings raise many questions that we need to address..."

• Informative x 1

#28 proileri

• 80 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:42 AM

One one side, as the condition I read once is not "licensable" (meaning you do not have a regulatory body agreeing to license a drug in the market) you basically have no incentive whatsoever to find a cure and in parallel also leave the door open to limited efficacy interventions or worse dubious ones also potentially damaging. For the time being I am left only with trying minimalist interventions such as whey, creatine, you name it and, provided no changes, I will find no doctor in future potentiality following me on HGH.

Testosterone replacement therapy has been a growing trend, though. It seems that TRT prescriptions started to slowly appear circa 2000 and have been steadily rising since: http://o.canada.com/...fety-concerns  

It might be that when TRT is well established, other such therapeutical agents might soon follow. In general, the aging intervention market has huge potential, which is why I'd expect companies to be very interested in it. 

Also it seems that sarcopenia is moving towards getting an ICD classification: http://aginginmotion...roposal-to-cdc/

Edited by proileri, 22 December 2015 - 08:02 AM.

• Informative x 1

#29 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

Patented PN-107 looks interesting if Nestlè is investing in Pronutria:

"...The patents carry a term to at least 2033, and specifically claim methods of treatment and prevention of muscle loss in a wide class of sarcopenia and cachexia conditions including anorexia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, congestive heart failure and compositions comprising nutritive proteins having high solubility and digestibility, with desired ratios of leucine and other essential amino acids. Corresponding patent applications are pending globally..."

http://www.pronutria...y-patents-uspto

https://www.nestlehe...ria-biosciences

Edited by albedo, 12 March 2016 - 11:31 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Lsdium

• 54 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:09 AM

Ursolic acid has POOR bioavailability!  Many people on bodybuilding forums experiment with it and find out, like most supplements, they wasted their money.

But tomatidine on the other hand.......  It IS a steroid (p.s. not ALL anabolic steroids are bad!!) , found in the skins of green tomatoes.  Not only is it an anabolic and increased LBM 10% in mice when it was added to their diet, it doesn't come with "steroid like" affects such as causing an imbalance between LDL and HDL levels, and it doesn't shut down testosterone production.

This could very well be REVOLUTIONARY for everyone from bodybuilders and athletes, to the frail elderly. 

I've been trying to make contacts in China to see how cheap I can get a kilo of it.  No news yet.

I am shocked that no one is talking about this!!!  A legal, natural, healthy anabolic steroid, and no one is discussing this....??

Muscle wasting is one of the biggest problems of again, and again, no one is talking about this?  I would have figured this would have become the "new" Nicotinamide Riboside and there would be companies popping up and sell this stuff.

Tomatidine sounds promising, anybody got any experience from it? And how about the dosage? 

But how do we know Tomatidine has good bioavailability compare to Ursolic acid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users