Need help - Which of my supplements

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 david ellis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

Rather than try to pinpoint a specific culprit, why don't you stop taking all of your supplements for several days and see what happens. I have a feeling that nothing is going to happen, because none of your supplements in those doses should be causing any problem with your blood pressure. This method will save you alot of time barking up the wrong tree.

If by some miracle your BP drops after you stop the regimen, add them back in one-by-one. If your BP doesn't change, then simply resume everything and look elsewhere.

Also someone mentioned theobromine above -- theobromine reduces blood pressure. Its not that. In fact, there are several items in this regimen that should reduce blood pressure. You might even see it go UP further when you stop.

Thanks FunkOdyssey, your post was very reassuring. I did stop taking most of the supplements in late April, and I quit the remaining ones about 10 days ago. And as you suspected, my blood pressure remained high, maybe going higher.

Edited by david ellis, 14 May 2009 - 02:59 PM.

#32 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

Rather than try to pinpoint a specific culprit, why don't you stop taking all of your supplements for several days and see what happens. I have a feeling that nothing is going to happen, because none of your supplements in those doses should be causing any problem with your blood pressure. This method will save you alot of time barking up the wrong tree.

If by some miracle your BP drops after you stop the regimen, add them back in one-by-one. If your BP doesn't change, then simply resume everything and look elsewhere.

Also someone mentioned theobromine above -- theobromine reduces blood pressure. Its not that. In fact, there are several items in this regimen that should reduce blood pressure. You might even see it go UP further when you stop.

I agree with Funk, I looked carefully at all the supplements on your list and nothing by itself or in combination should increase your BP that much, most of what you take and even the whole stack should have positive effects on your BP and cardiovascular health. Stop your supps for a few days and see what happens. I would instead look to your diet, particularly salt, other electrolytes and water. If your electrolytes are out of whack and you are slightly dehydrated your body can compensate by increasing BP and heart rate.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#33 david ellis

• Topic Starter
  • 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

I agree with Funk, I looked carefully at all the supplements on your list and nothing by itself or in combination should increase your BP that much, most of what you take and even the whole stack should have positive effects on your BP and cardiovascular health. Stop your supps for a few days and see what happens. I would instead look to your diet, particularly salt, other electrolytes and water. If your electrolytes are out of whack and you are slightly dehydrated your body can compensate by increasing BP and heart rate.

Thanks Edward, its reassuring to know that others don't think my stack is the problem. The BP increase was sudden and my first suspicion was my stack. Dehydration might be the problem, I will drink more water. Maybe I cut back on my water while trying to lose weight. My next suspicion is the 5 lbs I have gained.

#34 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:09 AM

Dehydration might be the problem, I will drink more water. Maybe I cut back on my water while trying to lose weight. My next suspicion is the 5 lbs I have gained.

I've found that my bp is pretty sensitive to my weight. It looks like the problem wasn't in your stack after all, which is good I guess, but it was a very sensible thing to look at. I once had a paradoxical increase in bp from taking ginkgo, of all things. Too bad, because I liked it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#35 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:09 AM

Did you figure out what the problem was David? Also, have you looked into your testosterone levels? I found this interesting article in regards to age, testosterone levels and blood pressure:

http://men.webmd.com...r-men-pros-cons
Low levels of testosterone are common with age, Saad says, occurring in about 18% of 70-year-olds. Low levels of testosterone, he says, are associated with the metabolic syndrome -- a cluster of risk factors such as abnormal cholesterol and high blood pressure that boost risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes as well as other risks to health.

In the studies, Saad and his colleagues found that testosterone replacement therapy reduced the metabolic syndrome risk factors and did so in a similar way in all the age ranges studied.

Perhaps you should get your T-Levels checked, that's if your still having problems with this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users