probiotics for oral health

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Oragenics completed a human study in November 2006, to support product claims its ProBiora3 food ingredient product. Based on review and analysis of the clinical data, the trial met the Company’s primary clinical endpoint by demonstrating a substantial effect of ProBiora3 in reducing the levels of specific disease-causing bacteria in the mouths of young, physically and orally healthy adult subjects. Reductions in Streptococcus mutans, a bacterium that attacks teeth, and two bacterial strains associated with gum disease, P. gingivalis and Campylobacter rectus, were observed with subjects after only two to three weeks of product use. C. rectus, for example, was reduced, on average, to less than 1% of its pretreatment levels in plaque collected from below the gum line. This trial also demonstrated that ProBiora3 was safe and well tolerated during the course of product use.

How does ProBiora3 work?
In the ProBiora3 formulation, the S. rattus strain does not produce lactic acid and competes for space on the surface of the teeth as well as for nutrients against the indigenous strains of S. mutans. With daily use, a growing population of good bacteria builds and wins out over the harmful bacteria for space and nutrients. The other two bacteria (S. oralis and S. uberis) in Probiora3 compete with the organisms that impact gum health by colonizing in same places they prefer. Not only do S. oralis and S. uberis compete for the same spaces, they also produce hydrogen peroxide, to effectively dominate the organisms that effect gum health. The colonies of good bacteria suppress the level of disease-causing organisms. Good health depends upon a certain balance of oral micro flora. Opportunistic (harmful) bacteria are always present, but in bad health they have taken the opportunity to replicate excessively and maintain an imbalance from health by actively suppressing the beneficial bacteria.

http://www.probiora3...iora3-research/

anyone using anything like this? makes perfect sense and has gotten some good reviews. im considering cutting out anything that kills/inhibits bactera (mouthwash, colgate total, xylitol) and trying this stuff.

Edited by ajnast4r, 27 April 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#2 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

No, but I know BioGaia has Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis and GenMont has Lactobacillus paracasei ADP-1 for oral health. The first is available in GUM PerioBalance and the latter in LacCaries ADP-1.

#3 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

No, but I know BioGaia has Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis

http://www.medicalne...cles/128824.php

A new study confirms that chewing gum from BioGaia containing Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis reduces gingivitis (inflamed gums). The study also shows that the Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis can interact directly with the human immune system to reduce inflammation.

The study, published by Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, was performed by Professor Svante Twetman and his team in the Department of Cariology and Endodontics at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark. Commenting on the new study, Professor Twetman says "The importance of this study is not only that it supports earlier findings that L. reuteri Prodentis can be effective in the treatment of gingivitis, but also that it points towards an extended mechanism of action beyond the ability of fighting off pathogens. Our immune system involves mediators that promote inflammation when they are "turned on". Our results suggest that these mediators can be down-regulated by L. reuteri Prodentis."

In the study, 42 subjects with moderate gingivitis were randomly assigned to receive either chewing gum containing Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis (either one or two chewing gums per day) or placebo (non- active) chewing gums during a two-week period. The number of bleeding sites was reduced in both groups taking Prodentis chewing gums, by 85% for those taking one Prodentis chewing gum per day and by 86% for those taking two. Both decreases were statistically significant.

In the Prodentis groups, the amount of fluid in the teeth pockets was decreased by 43% for those taking one chewing gum per day and by 53% for those taking two chewing gums per day. Again the decrease was statistically significant in both Prodentis groups.

In the group that took two Prodentis chewing gums per day, Professor Twetman's group found a significant decrease of some important inflammatory mediators, TNF-alpha and IL-8, which points towards a possible mechanism of action for Prodentis. It is the first time that such changes caused by oral health probiotics are recorded in a clinical setting. In the placebo group, there were no statistically significant changes for any of the studied parameters.

The oral cavity normally contains a balanced microflora of over 500 different species. Occasionally the balance is overthrown by pathogenic bacteria and the human immune defence will then react resulting in an inflammation. Recent data from the USA indicates that inflamed gums are very common and affects approximately 50% of all adults over 30 years. A cardinal sign of gingivitis is that the inflamed gums tend to bleed easily. Dentists frequently observe this when the teeth are being professionally cleansed. Another sign is that the tooth pocket is swollen because of the inflammation and that excess fluid is forced out into the tooth pocket.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

i bought a box of evoraplus (probiora3)... im going to cut out anything antibacterial and see how it effects me.

i thought of this bc of my girlfriend, who brushes her teeth once and rarely twice per day and does nothing else for dental care... yet has never had a cavity, has sparkly bright white teeth & has perfectly fresh breath at all times even after waking or eating. the only solution i could come up with is that she has a more favorable flora balance in her mouth...

#5 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

i thought of this bc of my girlfriend, who brushes her teeth once and rarely twice per day and does nothing else for dental care... yet has never had a cavity, has sparkly bright white teeth & has perfectly fresh breath at all times even after waking or eating. the only solution i could come up with is that she has a more favorable flora balance in her mouth...

...or just better lectins. The health of your teeth can be strongly affected by genetics. It doesn't mean you can't compensate but some people are going to be able to get away with a lot more than others.

#6 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:26 AM

...or just better lectins. The health of your teeth can be strongly affected by genetics. It doesn't mean you can't compensate but some people are going to be able to get away with a lot more than others.

good read. yea she has good genetics in general.

#7 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

Any other suggestions? This is interesting:)

#8 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:45 AM

so i went through almost an entire box of evora plus...

the positives were that my breath was pretty much permanently fresh... even after eating.

the negatives, and reasons i stopped before i finished the box, were:

1) increased inflammation in the gums
2) increased bleeding when flossing... i almost never bleed when flossing, a week or so after using evora i started to bleed somewhat regularly.
3) sharp pains in my front teeth... exactly the same as caused by 'whitening strips'. most likely from bacteria producing h2o2

i may try the biogaia product next

Edited by ajnast4r, 31 May 2009 - 05:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users