Photo
- - - - -

I need a replacement for ENERGY drinks!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Llama Chris

• 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:28 AM

Silly topic, I know... BUT! A while ago at work a co-worker introduced me to energy drinks. I started drinking them most days, and did for a while. I've been trying to eliminate them entirely for my diet for about six months now, with varying degrees of success. Intellectually I know they're not good for me at all, but here's what my problem is:

At work we get so bored, so bored that we become unmotivated, tired, too tired to do anything properly, and sometimes it's just too hard to get through the day... if I have an energy drink, not long after I've had just one... I change COMPLETELY! I'm happier, friendlier, more energetic, I run around working like crazy, giving awesome customer service (I manage a video game store), and just being generally fantastic.

I thought maybe it was the caffeine in the drink, but I tried a sugar-free energy drink, and didn't notice a single effect. A lot of it may come down to attitude and such, but even on the days where I tell myself, "I'm going to do all this WITHOUT energy drinks..." It just falls flat.

There's got to be a viable, healthy alternative!?

Or... is m diet and lifestyle just lacking something, in the first place?

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:46 AM

lol, your post reads like an energy drink commercial.

"I really need to find an energy ALTERNATIVE!!!"
"I've been drinking this energy drink and have become too MANLY, advise"
"I FEEL ENERGISED LIKE A MAN A REALLY MANLY MAN. Discuss"

The active ingredient in these drinks is caffeine, go out and buy some pills. Rhodiola gives me a slight boost. Can't think of any other stimulants that're as safe and effective as caffeine though.

"BRAWNDO! IT'S GOT WHAT PLANT CRAAAAAAAAVE!!"

Edited by Ben - Aus, 30 April 2009 - 01:49 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:01 AM

I think your diet and lifestyle could stand for improvement if you are feeling the need to use energy drinks. There is also such a thing as caffeine addiction or dependence.

I remember seeing in another post that you are vegan: make sure you are getting adequate complete proteins (this may require some effort on your part) as well as adequate supplementation (B vitamins, taurine, etc).

If you are doing all of that, then perhaps you aren't sleeping enough or exercising enough? When combined, both will increase stamina and energy.

Finally, failing that, you might want to stay away from caffeine as you could be addicted. Caffeine tolerance occurs if you ingest it regularly. Eventually you need it just to feel normal.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:23 AM

There are a ton of energy drinks out there now, and some of them have more than just caffeine. What does yours contain? Do you find that you need an energy drink on days that you aren't working? If so, then perhaps you are addicted to them. If not, maybe what you really need is a new job. (I know, easier said than done...) Anyway, if it's caffeine you crave, there are a variety of sources, from pills to coffee or even tea.

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:33 AM

I had one of those 24 ounce low-carb Monsters this morning before finals. It was life-altering.

Now I feel like death.

Anyway, what about coffee? From an epidemiology perspective it looks pretty good.

#6 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:39 AM

Green tea worked for me.

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:28 PM

Black coffee, unsweetened green tea, and cocoa (not milk chocolate) are all healthy alternatives, but probably will not measure up to most contemporary energy drinks.

Some CR people say CR helps them stay alert and in a good mood (others say they get irritated by hunger pains, but I suppose that would keep you awake as well).

#8 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

If you don't already, I suggest lifting weights or walking with a weighted vest. A few sessions of these a week make daily mundane things seem pretty effortless, physically at least. The personal interaction is another story. Adequate sleep is also important.

#9 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

If you don't already, I suggest lifting weights or walking with a weighted vest. A few sessions of these a week make daily mundane things seem pretty effortless, physically at least. The personal interaction is another story. Adequate sleep is also important.

When you honestly challenge yourself under heavy weights and do things you didn't imagine you were capable of, the daily life becomes much more manageable and easy.

#10 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

When you honestly challenge yourself under heavy weights and do things you didn't imagine you were capable of, the daily life becomes much more manageable and easy.

not when you have a tendency of making those formerly overwhelming feats your daily life.

#11 JackChristopher

• 178 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

Use coconut milk.

You should get an energy boost from the MCTs. But most people will like it sweetened, which I would add independently. Something like raw honey, berries or glucose sweetener.

#12 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

http://www.jinx.com/...nk.html?cid=139 :D

#13 f00bar

• 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

Silly topic, I know... BUT! A while ago at work a co-worker introduced me to energy drinks. I started drinking them most days, and did for a while. I've been trying to eliminate them entirely for my diet for about six months now, with varying degrees of success. Intellectually I know they're not good for me at all, but here's what my problem is:

At work we get so bored, so bored that we become unmotivated, tired, too tired to do anything properly, and sometimes it's just too hard to get through the day... if I have an energy drink, not long after I've had just one... I change COMPLETELY! I'm happier, friendlier, more energetic, I run around working like crazy, giving awesome customer service (I manage a video game store), and just being generally fantastic.

I thought maybe it was the caffeine in the drink, but I tried a sugar-free energy drink, and didn't notice a single effect. A lot of it may come down to attitude and such, but even on the days where I tell myself, "I'm going to do all this WITHOUT energy drinks..." It just falls flat.

There's got to be a viable, healthy alternative!?

Or... is m diet and lifestyle just lacking something, in the first place?

What ingredients does the drink list? You it's probably not the caffeine that boosts you. Maybe the sugar free drink you tried had less caffeine in it? If it's just the sugar try to eat more of complex carbs so you have steady energy source and don't feel that crash.
And calculate what your daily caffeine intake is so you can start tapering. Quitting cold turkey works for some ppl, but there can be nasty side effects.

Basically you have to find another drink you like without too much caffeine (better none at all) and eat properly so you're not getting hypoglycemic. Otherwise your messing with your insuline which is not cool at all.

#14 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:38 PM

not when you have a tendency of making those formerly overwhelming feats your daily life.

Hey, I didn't ask for any lip from you medical students.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users