Photo
- - - - -

Nicotine and Ginseng

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

I was searching for similar compounds to nicotine since I'd like to take something similar without the health risks associated with it (which might just be more related to the delivery). I was searching for something that works primarily through the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor sites and found that Panax Ginseng has components which seem to increase activity through a somewhat similar manner (from what i'm gathering):

http://www.accessmyl...86-32097042_ITM

Cognitive Function Effects: The loss of nicotinic receptor binding has been associated with age-related cognitive impairments. Nicotinic receptor stimulation of the central nervous system is beneficial for neuroprotection against age-associated cognitive disorders. A non-ginsenoside component of the herb has demonstrated affinity for the nicotinic receptor. This binding of the compound to the receptor results in nicotinic activity (Lewis, 1999). Ginsenoside-Rg2 and--Rg3 block nicotinic acetylcholine and gamma-aminobutyric acid receptors. This results in an inhibitory effect of the acetylcholine-evoked secretion of catecholamines. (Tachikawa, 1999). These different effects of Panax ginseng contribute to the variety of pharmacological effects.

This would explain some of the effects of Ginseng.

Unrelated (but also interesting):
Also somewhat unrelated, if only with the common grounds of acetylcholine receptors, Ashwagandha seems to increase activity in muscarinic ACh receptors. It seems to be the anti-Piracetam, increasing focus but decreasing thought flow.

#2 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

The only thing that somewhat bothers me about the site is that the trade names include various different forms of ginseng, including Siberian Ginseng (not a ginseng), Eleuthero (same as Siberian), Panax, and American. I would hope that they're referring to Panax ginseng (Korean) throughout the text.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Parleton Trent

• 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

I was searching for similar compounds to nicotine since I'd like to take something similar without the health risks associated with it (which might just be more related to the delivery). I was searching for something that works primarily through the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor sites and found that Panax Ginseng has components which seem to increase activity through a somewhat similar manner (from what i'm gathering):

http://www.accessmyl...86-32097042_ITM

Cognitive Function Effects: The loss of nicotinic receptor binding has been associated with age-related cognitive impairments. Nicotinic receptor stimulation of the central nervous system is beneficial for neuroprotection against age-associated cognitive disorders. A non-ginsenoside component of the herb has demonstrated affinity for the nicotinic receptor. This binding of the compound to the receptor results in nicotinic activity (Lewis, 1999). Ginsenoside-Rg2 and--Rg3 block nicotinic acetylcholine and gamma-aminobutyric acid receptors. This results in an inhibitory effect of the acetylcholine-evoked secretion of catecholamines. (Tachikawa, 1999). These different effects of Panax ginseng contribute to the variety of pharmacological effects.

This would explain some of the effects of Ginseng.

Unrelated (but also interesting):
Also somewhat unrelated, if only with the common grounds of acetylcholine receptors, Ashwagandha seems to increase activity in muscarinic ACh receptors. It seems to be the anti-Piracetam, increasing focus but decreasing thought flow.

Ginseng has many unidentified compounds, and of course, the main one is ginsenoside. Now, imagine how hard it is to extract mostly that one alone (mostly just 1 to 3 percents, let alone 8 percents). The one mentioned in the study is not even a ginsenoside component, so it must be in minuscule amount.

I think you are better off using a nicotine patch, unless your overall goal is not just Nicotinic receptor. Might as well better off licking a frog

Synthetic (+)- and (-)-epibatidine (an alkaloid originally characterized from frog skin) have potent analgetic activity in mice
from http://molpharm.aspe...stract/45/4/563

:)

Edited by Parleton Trent, 12 May 2009 - 05:24 PM.

#4 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

I thought the one mentioned in the study was Ginsenoside Rg2 & Rg3. You have an interesting point though, Panax Ginseng is usually standardized to 3% Ginsenosides. Though upon closer inspection of the article it seems that there are three components to the effect on ACh. First the non-ginsenoside which results in nictonic activity, and then the two Rg2 & Rg3 which block nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. I'm not exactly sure the percentage of the components in Panax Ginseng, but the three impact one another (so there is a synergy i imagine). Also the study doesn't measure the amount required for an effect which is rather annoying, but you make a good point it's doubtful that a small quantity would provide a difference.

Thanks for the reply :).

Edited by mysticpsi, 12 May 2009 - 10:16 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

so siberian ginseng is useless since it's not the real deal (panax ginseng) ? I just bought "Eleuthero (Eleutherococcus senticosus)" ginseng :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users