• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

ImmInst Contacting John Sperling

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 David

• 618 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 06:36 AM

Good point there young Will.

I like the idea of becoming a transmission conduit for any new breakthroughs though. Now that would be worth getting excited about! With that one small exception (the money shot...) Martin, I reckon you're onto something!

Back to the books..... How the hell does one stay interested in ones economics classes? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

Dave

#32 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:55 PM

Dear Bruce,

I just found this exciting interview with Prof. Fossel from Michigan State University. This story also makes big headlines here in Germany today. He says, that he has been able to reset cells and that he could start first human studies on skin right now - quote "it just takes money and people time to do it". So if we could combine Mr. Sperling´s money and Prof. Fossel´s vision to start human skin studies, it would probably be an enormous progress for life extension research! First the skin, then the heart and finally the whole body! As far as I understand the interview the cell reset principle is the same or similar for all body cells.

CU
Martin

Scientist says longer lifespans within reach
AM - Wednesday, 3 March , 2004 08:23:07
Reporter: Peta Donald
TONY EASTLEY: Australia's population is ageing dramatically, placing burdens on government spending and public infrastructure. To help counter the problem the Treasurer wants older Australians to work longer. Science may help him.

Imagine living to the age of 120 and still being active. According to a US scientist, the technology may only be a decade away.

Dr Michael Fossel is a clinical professor of Medicine at Michigan State University, and he's in Sydney to speak at a conference on longevity later this week.

He told Peta Donald about the genetic work that's underway to reverse the ageing process.

MICHAEL FOSSEL: We're talking about a change in your gene expression and we've been able to do this in the lab. What we essentially do is reset the cells to do what they used to do when you were young. We don't change them, alter them, no we just reset them to do exactly what they did decades prior to what they're doing now.

PETA DONALD: How much longer do you think that human life could be extended by?

MICHAEL FOSSEL: I sometimes say the answer is indefinitely. By that I don't mean forever, I just mean I can't be definite. You don't know. It could be another couple of decades, it could be another couple of centuries, it's really hard to tell. We're moving into areas we've never been in.

PETA DONALD: You're saying that you think people could live 'til 300?

MICHAEL FOSSEL: Easily could be.

PETA DONALD: How is that?

MICHAEL FOSSEL: Well what sets the clock in you is a change in gene expression that occurs as you get older. It has to do with dividing cells and the damage they cause to all the other cells. For example, in your heart, when people die of heart attacks they die because their vessels have problems, and that clock is set right in the cells that lie in the vessels and what we can do is reset those clocks. So the question is what happens when we do it? In the lab it works beautifully, but again it's different trying it in people.

PETA DONALD: How far are you away from being able to do this, do you think?

MICHAEL FOSSEL: Well right now we technically could do it in skin. We were thinking of doing it in patches of skin, either in people with early aging syndromes or in just normal people, for example older people. Take people with ulcers in their legs, for example, as they get older. Take patches of that skin, reset it, and see if we can make them have young skin again. All that's within our reach right now, it just takes money and people time to do it.

PETA DONALD: And why would anyone want to live until they were 300? Isn't 80 long enough?

MICHAEL FOSSEL: Well I suppose you could say the same thing at age 17, there's certainly some people don't want to reach 18, but for a lot of is it's not a question of how long you live, it's how well you live. Most of us just aren't interested in suffering, and we're not interested in having a life not worth living, but I don't think you can put a time limit on it. It depends on you.

TONY EASTLEY: Imagine all the old film stars. That's 53-year old Dr Michael Fossel, from Michigan State University in the United States, speaking to Peta Donald.

#33 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:57 PM

Oh I forgot ... here is the link: http://www.abc.net.a...04/s1057712.htm
CU
Martin

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:00 PM

I'd like to approach the contact with a multi-stage, multi-month(year) strategy. The first stage will be to offer Sperling an ImmInst Introductory Package as a gesture to help familiarize ImmInst. After which, we can work toward something more, like Martin's letter. But allowing Sperling to get to know ImmInst in a friendly way before, would likely lead to a more favorable outcome.

Thus - Stage One:

Contact Jonathan.Thatcher@KronosCompany.com
and offer him and Sperling an ImmInst Intro. Packet
and tell a little bit about what we do. Thank them for
Kronos, etc.

#35 theimmortalist

• 30 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:06 AM

Well, that was a nice shot of optimism.

#36 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:03 PM

Dear Bruce,

that´s surely a good and reasonable strategy!
Nevertheless I think, that an interview request could/should already be a part of the first stage. Then Mr. Sperling would have a concrete motivation to read the Information Package (in order to "prepare" for the interview). Instead I am afraid, that he might not read the Information Package. I am sure, that he is very busy!
What do you think?

CU
Martin

#37 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 05:00 PM

Good Idea, Martin. I'll incorporate this request into the initial contact.

#38 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:25 PM

Dear Bruce,

did you already contact Jonathan Thatcher?

CU
Martin

#39 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 07:03 PM

DRAFT... feedback welcome:
[Packages to be sent at BJKlein's expense as a donation to ImmInst]

Dear Mr. Thatcher,

As you may wish to know more about the Immortality Institute (ImmInst.org) a non-profit with the goal of ending the blight of involuntary death, I’d like to send you a complementary introductory package as a first step in building a possible mutually beneficial relationship.

I’ve read where Mr. Sperling may have an interested in the type of work done by ImmInst.org. You may like to receive your package first, but is Mr Sperling’s contact information available so that I may send him a similar informational package?

Warm Regards,

Bruce Klein
Chair, ImmInst.org ~ For Infinite Lifespans

About me: http://www.imminst.org/bjklein

#40 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:33 PM

Perhaps some introductory sentences would be good, e.g.
I recently read a very interesting article about Kronos Company and its innovative approach concerning anti-aging medicine.
CU
Martin

#41 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:41 PM

Hmm... thanks for the idea. I'm more inclined to make the initial request/offer outright in the first contact. We can then come back and answer any specific question he may have about ImmInst.

#42 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:34 PM

hmmm - What do THEY need/want that you can offer?

A focused audience willing actively spreading the word. Mention the effective blockading (if it turns out that way) of the Alcor incident. Real grass roots that do something unique and can turn on a dime with a disproportunate focused result. "Imminst would like to see how / if Mr. Sperling might think of ways to work with such a useful group - given his extensive experience in the public and private worlds."

#43 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 11:08 PM

Thanks Dave,

ImmInst has six project initiatives and other examples of our focus on grass roots organization. However, I wish to post this in a follow up email after our first contact to avoid overload in information.

Mission:

- End the blight of involuntary death

Format:

- The Immortality Institute is a non-profit organization accessible world-wide via the Internet.

Membership:

- Full Members 68
- Basic Members 1306

Member Focus:

- Online Forum Discussion
- Member Articles & Interviews
- Weekly Chats

Projects & Teams:

- Book Project
- Infinite Females
- Threats To Life
- Yearly Conference
- Legal Team
- Brain-Computer Interfacing

#44 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:19 AM

sent: (slight revisions)

Dear Mr. Thatcher,

My name is Bruce Klein and I’m Chair of the Immortality Institute (ImmInst.org), a 501©(3) with the goal of ending the blight of involuntary death. About: http://www.imminst.org/bjklein

I’d like to send you an ImmInst information packet as a first step in hopefully building a mutually beneficial relationship. Also, I’ve noticed where Mr. Sperling may have an interested in such information. You may wish to receive your package first, but would Mr. Sperling’s contact information be available?

Warm Regards,

Bruce Klein
Chair, ImmInst.org ~ For Infinite Lifespans
http://www.imminst.org

#45 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 09:39 PM

Dear Bruce,

so did you already send your letter to Mr. Thatcher?

CU
Martin

#46 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 10:23 PM

Yes, no reply on this first round, yet... will give another go with different angle soon, if needed.

#47 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:04 PM

If you don´t get a reply to your e-mail request, you can also phone Mr. Thatcher directly. His phone number is:

Jonathan Thatcher
President, Exeter Life Sciences
Phone: 602-522-1159

CU
Martin

#48 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:27 PM

Initial response is lukewarm. A Kronos representative has kindly asked that we remove John's picture (news link re: his pledge to support life extension) from the homepage of our website. Upon reflection, I can understand. Kronos/Sperling wish to distance themselves from immortalism because immortalism represents a reputation threat and this kind of threat can put a for-profit entity our of business.

I'll continue to work to build a relationship with key Kronos members. However, this will be a multi-year process as social acceptance and change is generally slow to such world shifting memes.

#49 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:35 AM

That´s of course a little bit disappointing. Perhaps a phone call would be really good, so that you could discuss possible ways for a beneficial realtionship in detail with key Kronos members. A personal contact (by phone) is probably better now than only e-mail contact. I´ll keep my fingers crossed!
CU
Martin

#50 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:39 AM

Actually, I was somewhat heartened. At least someone cared enough to reply. The individual who replied is someone to whom we can continue to build a relationship. I think a phone call, as this early stage, would be overkill. This is a multi-year development.

#51 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:48 PM

O.K., no phone call. But what do you plan to do as a next step?
CU
Martin

#52 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:01 PM

Continue to cultivate the contact(s) and offer help where they may need it. Help may take the form of public educational events, chats, etc. As Dav (MMouse) offered, we need to think of what they want.. and work to fulfill their needs.

#53 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:12 PM

Christopher Heward's son Abe runs the local Extropian chapter here in Phoenix, Arizona. I am attending a (late) Spring Equinox party thrown by the Hewards' in a couple weeks.

I am absolutely horrible at networking...I am much too shy. Since joining this chapter almost two years ago I have only gone to a couple of their monthly dinners, but I did get to talk to Dr. Heward (he had a lot of good information about nutrition ;)) Anyway, as part of your multi-year development, is it alright if I bring up ImmInst? I doubt Mr. Sperling will be there, but other Kronos executives may be.

I'm certainly not suggesting a hard sell or anything...just whatever comes up in conversation. I'll more than likely be a wallflower (the last time I met them I was pretty intimidated), but let me know if you have any advice. Maybe your "Contacting John Sperling" development can be my "Become Less Shy" development :)

#54 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:39 PM

Of course, please feel free. I appreciate the networking assistance... also, it's be great if you could tattoo the ImmInst logo onto your chest
Posted Image
(ahh, com' on, you'll be cool!). ;)

A little advice that has worked for me:

It'd be good to have an ImmInst business card handy. Please reply, if you need some (I'll be happy to send any ImmInst Basic Member as well) to hand out when comfortable.

I've found it helpful to steer conversations by pointing toward a specific commonly know immortalist related event (Ted Williams, etc) and then moving toward questions like, "So, how long do you want to live?"

And then, asking, "Well, if you were healthy and active at 100, or 1,000, would you ever see yourself just giving up?".

Interestingly, I think some of the best networkers, are people like yourself (somewhat quiet), in that they allow people to feel comfortable around them by allowing them to talk.

#55 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:21 PM

Dear enoosphere,

thank you very much for your posting! Of course it would be great, if you could talk with Kronos executives about ImmInst ...

I totally agree with Bruce concerning this aspect:
Interestingly, I think some of the best networkers, are people like yourself (somewhat quiet), in that they allow people to feel comfortable around them by allowing them to talk.

Warm regards
Martin

#56 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:49 PM

I appreciate the advice and will keep you all posted. I think you said there would be some full member business cards in the Introductory Package, so I will look for those when it arrives. I figure that in a room full of Extropians there is bound to be something to talk about so it shouldn't be so hard. As for the tattoo, that would be cool...just as soon as they come out with a completely painless process. Or maybe someday nanotechnology can reshape my head into a 3-D rendering of the logo ;)

#57 Martin

• 47 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:19 PM

Dear Bruce,
do you already know, when you will try to ask Mr. Sperling concerning an interview? I have lots of questions for him.
Thank you
Martin

#58 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:09 PM

Dear Martin,

Realistically, the likelihood of Mr. Sperling helping ImmInst is remote at best. Therefore, it may not be a wise investment of our limited time and resources to continue the pursuit at this time. However, if you wish to pick up the ball from here, somehow, please feel free.

Regards, Bruce

#59 arrogantatheist

• 56 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:21 PM

Lol I was just reading about John Sperling, and immediately thought to tell you guys about it for Methusalah Mouse, but then I see you already started.

Don't contact his staff that is stupid. These people want all his money for themselves and will tell you nicely to fuck-off.

You have to get right to the man. And it has to be aubrey or one of the top people in charge of methusalh mouse. I just found out about it so I dont' know all the people's names.

You have to phone the guy up and just keep refusing to speak to the lower people. Peak their greed in some way. Like you have a huge venture that can make insane money, but it is to sensitive to mention to lower ranking people. And you have to tell the guy straight out the people around him don't have a clue what they are talking about, compared to the senesence thinking of Methusalah Mouse people.

The prize would really heat up if you had a 500 million on the line. He could easily offer that without having to put too much down at first, just a promise if someone gets the mouse up to 6 years or whatever, they get it. And remember as we know if you can stop the aging even a little bit with a late intervention it is the same process to keep it going. Think about it this way for the guy even if you could extend human life spans to 130 years through a late intervention you could buy HIM time.

It is worth 100% of his money if he can stay alive through any means.

#60 arrogantatheist

• 56 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:24 PM

hmmm - What do THEY need/want that you can offer?

A focused audience willing actively spreading the word. Mention the effective blockading (if it turns out that way) of the Alcor incident. Real grass roots that do something unique and can turn on a dime with a disproportunate focused result. "Imminst would like to see how / if Mr. Sperling might think of ways to work with such a useful group - given his extensive experience in the public and private worlds."

In my opinion you go huge right away. You say listen you promise to pay out like 1 billion dollars IF someone takes the prize. If someone takes the prize it means we can easily extend your life. If no one progresses to that point it costs him ZERO. Maybe he can throw a couple million into the norma prize, or even 100 million for the intermediary steps.

But the big daddy step there is no risk for him. And as I said in the last post you have to talk to him personally. I'd try Paul Allen and basicaly go down the list of the super rich people, trying everything with them. And as I said go insanely huge right away, then worst case you can say well how about a mere million as a promise to pay only.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users