Photo
- - - - -

Paleo Questions on Specific Rec's from Cordain's Book

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

Just read Cordain's Paleo Diet and have adapted many but not all of the suggestions in the book. There are several pieces of information that I am unsure about and wanted to get other paleo dieter's thoughts:

Oils - Cordain says that Canola oil is in his 'Best' category because of the O6:O3 ratio of 2.0 (pg 127) and I like that it's a high concentration of MUFA vs other oils high PUFA content. I would like to like Canola but wanted to know others' thoughts on it. Good or bad?

Nuts - Cordain mentions several times nuts are to be used only in 'moderation.' I currently probably eat more than moderation if I am up to 4 oz/day but usually closer to 2? He cites the fat content as a reason (pg 125) for moderation. I haven't concerned myself over counting fat grams since I initially did something like the Atkins a couple years ago. Do you guys agree with nuts in moderation or are you eating more?

Eggs - Cordain suggests several times no more than 6 eggs per week. I am eating more like 14. In his newsletter he may be more OK than he was before with sat fat: "Consequently, population-wide recommendations to lower dietary saturated fats below 10% to reduce the risk of CAD have little or no evolutionary foundation in pre-agricultural Homo sapiens... So we do not need to restrict ourselves to only tuna and turkey breast, avoiding every last gram of saturated fat." But does this mean OK to add more eggs than the six recommended in the book or is there some other reason he was not so hot on eggs other than sat fat?

#2 chabbo

• 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:06 AM

Just read Cordain's Paleo Diet and have adapted many but not all of the suggestions in the book. There are several pieces of information that I am unsure about and wanted to get other paleo dieter's thoughts:

Oils - Cordain says that Canola oil is in his 'Best' category because of the O6:O3 ratio of 2.0 (pg 127) and I like that it's a high concentration of MUFA vs other oils high PUFA content. I would like to like Canola but wanted to know others' thoughts on it. Good or bad?

Nuts - Cordain mentions several times nuts are to be used only in 'moderation.' I currently probably eat more than moderation if I am up to 4 oz/day but usually closer to 2? He cites the fat content as a reason (pg 125) for moderation. I haven't concerned myself over counting fat grams since I initially did something like the Atkins a couple years ago. Do you guys agree with nuts in moderation or are you eating more?

Eggs - Cordain suggests several times no more than 6 eggs per week. I am eating more like 14. In his newsletter he may be more OK than he was before with sat fat: "Consequently, population-wide recommendations to lower dietary saturated fats below 10% to reduce the risk of CAD have little or no evolutionary foundation in pre-agricultural Homo sapiens... So we do not need to restrict ourselves to only tuna and turkey breast, avoiding every last gram of saturated fat." But does this mean OK to add more eggs than the six recommended in the book or is there some other reason he was not so hot on eggs other than sat fat?

I don't eat oils because they are processed. I eat natural raw fats from seeds, nuts, olives, etc. I eat between 6-8 ounces of nuts and seeds per day -- I am not concerned about gaining weight if that is his concern about consuming the fat in nuts. I also fast intermittently and I eat no dairy or meats, but if I did, they would have to be as close to raw as possible.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:38 AM

I don't eat oils because they are processed. I eat natural raw fats from seeds, nuts, olives, etc. I eat between 6-8 ounces of nuts and seeds per day -- I am not concerned about gaining weight if that is his concern about consuming the fat in nuts. I also fast intermittently and I eat no dairy or meats, but if I did, they would have to be as close to raw as possible.

I eat oils, because they are processed, and other natural fats. I eat ~450 calories in a homemade meal drink every 140 minutes during the day and don't want to chew seeds all day long. I eat ~32g of almonds and walnuts total most days and ~10mL of almond butter. That's enough nuts for me. Oils have not made me fat. I keep losing weight even though I'm not trying to and don't want to. This is on a ~2650-2700 calorie day/diet. The oils I use are all cold-pressed and organic, the PUFA oils are refrigerated. The only oils I use are flax, hemp, olive, palm, coconut, cacao butter, and LEF's omega-3 caps at two caps daily. I never use canola oil. Can you buy refrigerated or cold-pressed canola oil? I think hemp oil has about that same ratio. I aim for n3:n6 = 1, roughly 40% saturated, 40% MUFA, 20% PUFA. I average an egg each day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users