- - - - -

3 month diabetes/cholesterol improvements on paleo diet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick note because I'm happy this morning. On Feb 16th my hA1C was 9.5 and my total cholesterol was 202. At that time I started moving towards a Paleo style diet which I completed the transition to about three weeks ago. No grains, no dairy. Mostly wild salmon, tilapia, and sardines in terms of animal protein along with plenty of leafy greens and vegetables and intensive nutrient supplementation. My diabetes meds are 64 units of lantus, 100 mg of Januvia, and 2000mg of Metformin. I take no cholesterol medication for over a year because both Lipitor and Simvastin didn't agree with my body.

As tested on May 21st, my AIC is now 5.9 and my total cholesterol is 111. My doctor's jaw literally dropped when he looked at the results in the office this morning :-)

HDL as tested was 34. Its been between 34-40 for the last 5 years. Not sure what else I can do to affect that one.

A lot of the stuff I've been implementing I've learned from the active discussions on these message boards. I'd like to thank everyone for helping me model a science based focus on nutrition instead of the emotional "tastes good, eat lots of it" technique I was using previously :-)

#2 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick note because I'm happy this morning. On Feb 16th my hA1C was 9.5 and my total cholesterol was 202. At that time I started moving towards a Paleo style diet which I completed the transition to about three weeks ago. No grains, no dairy. Mostly wild salmon, tilapia, and sardines in terms of animal protein along with plenty of leafy greens and vegetables and intensive nutrient supplementation. My diabetes meds are 64 units of lantus, 100 mg of Januvia, and 2000mg of Metformin. I take no cholesterol medication for over a year because both Lipitor and Simvastin didn't agree with my body.

As tested on May 21st, my AIC is now 5.9 and my total cholesterol is 111. My doctor's jaw literally dropped when he looked at the results in the office this morning :-)

HDL as tested was 34. Its been between 34-40 for the last 5 years. Not sure what else I can do to affect that one.

A lot of the stuff I've been implementing I've learned from the active discussions on these message boards. I'd like to thank everyone for helping me model a science based focus on nutrition instead of the emotional "tastes good, eat lots of it" technique I was using previously :-)

Way to go! Keep it up. :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

good job. are you still on those meds? are you cutting back? are you taking resveratrol? seems ideal for someone with your pathology...

#4 gregandbeaker

• Topic Starter
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

good job. are you still on those meds? are you cutting back? are you taking resveratrol? seems ideal for someone with your pathology...

I have been gradually stepping down the Lantus as needed to keep blood sugars below 110 but above hypoglycemic. I also take Ray and Terry's Longevity pack + anti-aging pack which contains a total of 400mg of 50% resveratrol per day split into morning and evening does. I actually haven't had time to research much on the Januvia. I'd rather not take it if I don't have to and it really didn't seem to affect my blood sugars positively prior to diet modifications.

#5 chabbo

• 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Coconut oil and fish oil doubled my HDL from 57 to 111 (with an LDL of 87), and they will also help lower triglycerides. Try 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of fish oil daily for 1 month and retest. Good luck.

And congrats on your A1C. . . good job.

Manny

#6 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

In addition: Tocotrienols can help raise HDL. (Jarrow tocosorb or FamilE, or Primordial Performance toco8). Tocotrienols may be better absorbed separate from tocopherols.

Niacin?

Extra Virgin Coconut oil (I use nutiva brand) - however I think coconut flakes/fiber are probably largely responsible for the decrease in LDL in the studies I've seen.

#7 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:21 AM

Coconut oil and fish oil doubled my HDL from 57 to 111 (with an LDL of 87), and they will also help lower triglycerides. Try 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of fish oil daily for 1 month and retest. Good luck.

Manny

which brands?.. pretty large jump in HDL.

#8 chabbo

• 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Manny

which brands?.. pretty large jump in HDL.

Any high vitamin cod liver oil is what I use and I got it from here (but they only have fermented cod liver oil now and I have not yet tried that): www.greenpasture.org/retail/?t=products ;and the coconut oil is from green pasture and www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com

Manny

#9 imarobot

• 194 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

Is its true. Can i also lose diabetes by using paleo diet. What is the procedure if I also want to remove diabetes in three months. Now I am using resveratrol.Is it beneficial?

It appears you can, at the least, seriously improve your insulin sensitivity, reducing your swings and your need for insulin. Here's a nice summary of two studies. So far, it looks like the best choice is avoiding a Western diet high in grains, bad fats, and processed food.

#10 gregandbeaker

• Topic Starter
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

Is its true. Can i also lose diabetes by using paleo diet. What is the procedure if I also want to remove diabetes in three months. Now I am using resveratrol.Is it beneficial?

It appears you can, at the least, seriously improve your insulin sensitivity, reducing your swings and your need for insulin. Here's a nice summary of two studies. So far, it looks like the best choice is avoiding a Western diet high in grains, bad fats, and processed food.

My Doctor's comment on my results was that some forms of type II Diabetes are highly treatable with carefully planned diets alone. He referred to something called "Flatbush Diabetes" named because it was identified in Flatbush, NY. Several cases of people completely taming insulin resistance with diet alone. However its in no way a CURE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users