short video on arguably the smartest man alive

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:15 AM

http://www.poetv.com...o.php?vid=54176

oh and there are three parts there should be links to the other 2 parts on the right hand side of the screen.

Edited by dfowler, 11 June 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#2 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:31 AM

he believes in a form of ID though and he also believes there definitely is a heaven...so I guess even crazy geniuses can be deluded :)

#3 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:07 AM

he believes in a form of ID though and he also believes there definitely is a heaven...so I guess even crazy geniuses can be deluded :)

are you retarded?

Edited by RighteousReason, 10 June 2009 - 02:08 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:13 AM

are you retarded?

was that comment directed at me or Christopher? I'm guessing you meant to say, is HE retarded.

#5 Lauren

• 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:14 AM

Are you kidding me, Christopher Michael Langan is an autistic savant......He has the highest recorded IQ in history besides Marylin vos Savant, for which savant syndrome was name (her surname is actually a pseudo-appellation derived from the French word Savant, which literally means "They know").

But seriously, this person is a genius. Just because he may believe in intelligent design and believe that there is a heaven does not mean that he is somehow less intelligent for his religious beliefs. And espousing such beliefs is utterly no indication of a person's intelligence, as it is a merely a belief system. I was talking with a professor at Brown University who himself was a religious person and pro-evolutionist. And he was one of the defending scientists against the teaching of creationism and intelligent design in schools. But yet, he was still religious. So just because people have conflictual belief systems doesn't mean that they are necessarily less intelligent, it just means that they're.......confused.

are you retarded?

was that comment directed at me or Christopher? I'm guessing you meant to say, is HE retarded.

#6 Lauren

• 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:27 AM

I mean, autistic savants have some of the highest recorded IQs in history, and are extremely, extremely uncommon. And this is the mystery of autism, because most people with autism are incredibly mentally compromised, but yet many of them have these extraordinary talents in the areas of music and mathematics. One of the smartest people I know is actually autistic. She graduated from MIT, and writes a blog called ballastexistenz. I would actually recommend reading her blog, because she is just an absolutely extraordinary advocate for the rights of people with autism and schizophrenia.

Just as a caveat, though, I just have to warn you that a lot of her posts are incredibly depressing, but they are so incredibly thought-provoking. They are attempting to disclose some of the horrors of what autistics and schizophrenics are exposed to in mental hospitals, as she had mistakenly been classified insane because of her condition, which is why I despise the institution of psychiatry. They have to slap a label on anyone who is slightly different......I could go on about this, but I had already expounded upon my theories in earlier posts, and I don't believe that it deserves any further recapitulation, for shit sakes. I've already rattled off that one far too many times, so I digress. But I would highly recommend you read her blog, especially if you are concerned with advocating social justice for those with autism, schizophrenia, and other conditions. Her blog can be accessed at the following address: http://ballastexistenz.autistics.org/

Are you kidding me, Christopher Michael Langan is an autistic savant......He has the highest recorded IQ in history besides Marylin vos Savant, for which savant syndrome was name (her surname is actually a pseudo-appellation derived from the French word Savant, which literally means "They know").

But seriously, this person is a genius. Just because he may believe in intelligent design and believe that there is a heaven does not mean that he is somehow less intelligent for his religious beliefs. And espousing such beliefs is utterly no indication of a person's intelligence, as it is a merely a belief system. I was talking with a professor at Brown University who himself was a religious person and pro-evolutionist. And he was one of the defending scientists against the teaching of creationism and intelligent design in schools. But yet, he was still religious. So just because people have conflictual belief systems doesn't mean that they are necessarily less intelligent, it just means that they're.......confused.

are you retarded?

Edited by Lauren, 10 June 2009 - 05:29 AM.

#7 Lauren

• 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:36 AM

And Dev isn't retarted by any means......In fact, he's a genius. As are you, from what I can discern

I mean, autistic savants have some of the highest recorded IQs in history, and are extremely, extremely uncommon. And this is the mystery of autism, because most people with autism are incredibly mentally compromised, but yet many of them have these extraordinary talents in the areas of music and mathematics. One of the smartest people I know is actually autistic. She graduated from MIT, and writes a blog called ballastexistenz. I would actually recommend reading her blog, because she is just an absolutely extraordinary advocate for the rights of people with autism and schizophrenia.

Just as a caveat, though, I just have to warn you that a lot of her posts are incredibly depressing, but they are so incredibly thought-provoking. They are attempting to disclose some of the horrors of what autistics and schizophrenics are exposed to in mental hospitals, as she had mistakenly been classified insane because of her condition, which is why I despise the institution of psychiatry. They have to slap a label on anyone who is slightly different......I could go on about this, but I had already expounded upon my theories in earlier posts, and I don't believe that it deserves any further recapitulation, for shit sakes. I've already rattled off that one far too many times, so I digress. But I would highly recommend you read her blog, especially if you are concerned with advocating social justice for those with autism, schizophrenia, and other conditions. Her blog can be accessed at the following address: http://ballastexistenz.autistics.org/

are you retarded?

#8 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:07 AM

I am closer to absolute truth than any man has been before me.

He may have a 200 IQ but I'm skeptical of anyone who says something like that without evidence or a philosophical argument.

#9 Eugene

• 96 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:39 AM

He may have a 200 IQ but I'm skeptical of anyone who says something like that without evidence or a philosophical argument.

The mind can be fragmented. And often is.

#10 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

Statistically speaking someone holding religious beliefs is more likely to have a lower IQ, though.

I'm wondering what Grigori Perelman's IQ is...

#11 Lauren

• 58 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

Wait, wasn't his IQ accurately measured to be exceeding 200? Because if he is just going around claiming this without evidence, then he is stupid......I mean, anyone who goes around claiming that their IQ is over 200 without any evidence to back it up is an imbecile

#12 Lauren

• 58 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

Statistically speaking someone holding religious beliefs is more likely to have a lower IQ, though.

I'm wondering what Grigori Perelman's IQ is...

Actually, I would have to retract my previous contentions......There was an actual study done which revealed that because atheists tend to be more empirical thinkers, they tended toward having higher IQs than those who were devoutly religious. And this would make sense according to the law of averages, but when you consider it there are always exceptions to this. I have met many people who are devoutly religious who are insanely smart. So there are always outliers in these cases. However, I would concur with your contention that the mind is indeed a fragmented entity, and even some of the most intelligent people can be deluded.

My apologies for having this be so brevitous.....I've had a rough couple of days, and I honestly feel a vertiginous fainting spell coming on at the moment

#13 Futurist1000

• 438 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

He then talks about eugenics in the 3rd part of the video. Its hard to tell if he is referring to God in the same way most normal people think of him (personal deity). He may be invoking the word "God" in the same way albert einstein used the term (equating God with as being the universe/the minds of all people). It is somewhat ambiguous, though, so I can't be sure.

He certainly seems to believe in evolution and dysgenic deterioration of IQ. He says a democracy can lead to dumb people making all the decisions.

He's a little full of himself, especially considering his meager accomplishments.

Edited by Futurist1000, 11 June 2009 - 06:07 PM.

#14 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

He then talks about eugenics in the 3rd part of the video. Its hard to tell if he is referring to God in the same way most normal people think of him (personal deity). He may be invoking the word "God" in the same way albert einstein used the term (equating God with as being the universe/the minds of all people). It is somewhat ambiguous, though, so I can't be sure.

He certainly seems to believe in evolution and dysgenic deterioration of IQ. He says a democracy can lead to dumb people making all the decisions.

He's a little full of himself, especially considering his meager accomplishments.

Well I know he believes in God and a form of ID. I think it's at least good he has some belief in evolutionary theory. He does come across as being full of himself, and I'm not sure if he's right about bigger headed people being any smarter than smaller headed ones. Just because, say, a catepillar has a small head, and in this case a small brain, does not mean that apply to humans. Maybe he's right or maybe he's not.

I don't see why he's still a bouncer! If I had that I.Q. I would be doing much bigger things for money like working on the aging process. Also he claims he's probably the smartest man on the planet. But how does he know this? Conjecture? I mean there are plenty of uber geniuses who probably never had their IQ tested. But than again if you are THAT smart than you probably would be curious to wouldn't you?

His Cognitive Theoretical Model of the Universe was indecipherable I found. And I didn't bother reading it. But it hasn't been adopted by any hard science as a reasonable explanation for anything as of yet. Just because you are super smart does not mean you will channel it in the right direction. I mean he could believe in all kinds of quackery and still be brilliant.

#15 Futurist1000

• 438 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

Well I know he believes in God and a form of ID. I think it's at least good he has some belief in evolutionary theory. He does come across as being full of himself, and I'm not sure if he's right about bigger headed people being any smarter than smaller headed ones. Just because, say, a catepillar has a small head, and in this case a small brain, does not mean that apply to humans. Maybe he's right or maybe he's not.

I don't see why he's still a bouncer! If I had that I.Q. I would be doing much bigger things for money like working on the aging process. Also he claims he's probably the smartest man on the planet. But how does he know this? Conjecture? I mean there are plenty of uber geniuses who probably never had their IQ tested. But than again if you are THAT smart than you probably would be curious to wouldn't you?

His Cognitive Theoretical Model of the Universe was indecipherable I found. And I didn't bother reading it. But it hasn't been adopted by any hard science as a reasonable explanation for anything as of yet. Just because you are super smart does not mean you will channel it in the right direction. I mean he could believe in all kinds of quackery and still be brilliant.

It seemed like he was espousing a lot of gobbledygook. Some of his views just sound like childish misunderstandings of the world.

Also he claimed that he came up with a profound insight about how neural networks work and he wrote it on a piece of paper. Somehow the paper "disappeared" and then he got in a bar fight which made him "forget" what he wrote down. So he is a genius, but all his novel ideas just happen to vanish without a trace, how convenient. He has narcissistic personality disorder and thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

This guy is full of crap. He probably has some autistic qualities that make him able to do certain things better than average. However his logical thinking is not up to par with his measurable (supposed) IQ. Though, his idea that democracies are lead by idiots is probably true in certain instances.

Edited by Futurist1000, 11 June 2009 - 08:17 PM.

• like x 1

#16 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

Just shows how useless IQ is as a measure of anything. Certainly in this case high IQ =/= smart, so I would object to the rather liberal use of the latter term in the heading. Ms Vos Savant hasn't really accomplished anything great either as far as I am aware.

Edited by viveutvivas, 11 June 2009 - 08:58 PM.

#17 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

Just shows how useless IQ is as a measure of anything. Ms Vos Savant hasn't really accomplished anything great either as far as I am aware.

This is taken from Wikipedia, but I would imagine it's correct:

Marilyn vos Savant (pronounced /ˌvɒs səˈvɑːnt/; born August 11, 1946) is an American magazine columnist, author, lecturer and playwright who rose to fame through her listing in the Guinness Book of World Records under "Highest IQ". Since 1986 she has written Ask Marilyn, a Sunday column in Parade magazine in which she solves puzzles and answers questions from readers on a variety of subjects.

I know she's married to the creator of the artificial heart or the Jarvic artificial heart and she also is the C.E.O of that company. So that is pretty accomplished if you ask me!

Edited by dfowler, 11 June 2009 - 09:02 PM.

#18 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Just shows how useless IQ is as a measure of anything. Ms Vos Savant hasn't really accomplished anything great either as far as I am aware.

This is taken from Wikipedia, but I would imagine it's correct:

Marilyn vos Savant (pronounced /ˌvɒs səˈvɑːnt/; born August 11, 1946) is an American magazine columnist, author, lecturer and playwright who rose to fame through her listing in the Guinness Book of World Records under "Highest IQ". Since 1986 she has written Ask Marilyn, a Sunday column in Parade magazine in which she solves puzzles and answers questions from readers on a variety of subjects.

That's the point. It's not like she's quantized Gravity or anything. She basically decided to waste her purported talents on making a little industry of her own "fame".

I mean he could believe in all kinds of quackery and still be brilliant.

Uhh, say what?

Edited by viveutvivas, 11 June 2009 - 09:07 PM.

#19 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:08 AM

He has been quoted as saying that "you cannot describe the universe completely with any accuracy unless you're willing to admit that it's both physical and mental in nature" and that his CTMU "explains the connection between mind and reality, therefore the presence of cognition and universe in the same phrase".[

In conjunction with his ideas, Langan has claimed that "you can prove the existence of God, the soul and an afterlife, using mathematics.

These sound like the statements of a mystical fool

I don't care if his IQ is 200,000, I doubt he ever accomplishes anything noteworthy in his life. He is a flaming retard.

Edited by RighteousReason, 12 June 2009 - 01:11 AM.

#20 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:48 AM

He has been quoted as saying that "you cannot describe the universe completely with any accuracy unless you're willing to admit that it's both physical and mental in nature" and that his CTMU "explains the connection between mind and reality, therefore the presence of cognition and universe in the same phrase".[

In conjunction with his ideas, Langan has claimed that "you can prove the existence of God, the soul and an afterlife, using mathematics.

I don't care if his IQ is 200,000, I doubt he ever accomplishes anything noteworthy in his life. He is a flaming retard.

It's like I said, you can be brilliant and capable of amazing accomplishments of thinking, but still not think right;)

#21 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:51 AM

It's like I said, you can be brilliant and capable of amazing accomplishments of thinking, but still not think right;)

agreed

#22 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:57 AM

oh and there are three parts there should be links to the other 2 parts on the right hand side of the screen.

Well to be honest he doesn't offer a lot of proof that his IQ is 200 or beyond, or at least not from that video. He doesn't seem to portray any savant type memory or processing capabilities (like calculating pi to it's 10,000th place). None of his ideas are original like the mind of god or his version of transhumanism. He clearly supports ID and from what I see he is also good friends with Behe and he also admits to being a clear cut theist.

If he does have such as high IQ (which I don't think IQ's measure much) that still doesn't mean he's smart, it just means he can process patterns faster. From the video he admits dropping out of college. He doesn't seem to be an expert in any scientific field or any field for that matter of fact, not even art or music which certain types of savants excel at. He likes to criticize a lot, but what type of philosopher doesn't.

Overall his ideas and IQ mean nothing so far. If he was truly smart he would have ignored the sociological problems around him, gotten an education and putten his brain to good use by getting involved in curing a disease, life extension (like Aubrey), ending world hunger (like Normal Borlaug), or just doing something productive instead of sitting around in the middle of nowhere and trying to prove ID.

Overall he sounds like a smart and nice guy, but he is not accomplish anything and he's getting fame for that.

Edited by Cyberbrain, 12 June 2009 - 01:57 AM.

#23 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:03 AM

Well to be honest he doesn't offer a lot of proof that his IQ is 200 or beyond, or at least not from that video. He doesn't seem to portray any savant type memory or processing capabilities (like calculating pi to it's 10,000th place). None of his ideas are original like the mind of god or his version of transhumanism. He clearly supports ID and from what I see he is also good friends with Behe and he also admits to being a clear cut theist.

If he does have such as high IQ (which I don't think IQ's measure much) that still doesn't mean he's smart, it just means he can process patterns faster. From the video he admits dropping out of college. He doesn't seem to be an expert in any scientific field or any field for that matter of fact, not even art or music which certain types of savants excel at. He likes to criticize a lot, but what type of philosopher doesn't.

Overall his ideas and IQ mean nothing so far. If he was truly smart he would have ignored the sociological problems around him, gotten an education and putten his brain to good use by getting involved in curing a disease, life extension (like Aubrey), ending world hunger (like Normal Borlaug), or just doing something productive instead of sitting around in the middle of nowhere and trying to prove ID.

Overall he sounds like a smart and nice guy, but he is not accomplish anything and he's getting fame for that.

That was very well put and I agree with everything you said. He could be doing so much more. But being able to process patterns faster is one form of intelligence I would argue. And you're right the fact that he let "sociological problems" get to him shows me that he is either very vulnerable in some ways or overly sensitive, or just lazy. But he did confess to hating academia as he found it confining to his intellect. So he does have a point there. There is at least one other video of him on youtube and you may want to check it out.

#24 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

I don't think IQ's measure much

Just a minor quibble

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/G_(factor)

Most measures of g positively correlate with conventional measures of success (income, academic achievement, job performance, career prestige) and negatively correlate with what are generally seen as undesirable life outcomes (school dropout, unplanned childbearing, poverty) -- Geary, D.C. (2005). The Origin of Mind: Evolution of Brain Cognition and General Intelligence. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association. ISBN 1-59147-181-8

Edited by RighteousReason, 12 June 2009 - 12:19 PM.

• like x 1

#25 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:38 AM

LMAO, this guy reminds me of my ex-boyfriend.

He would go around everywhere bragging "Ooh, look at me! I'm so intelligent! I'm special!!!"

Despite having an IQ of 180 he was COMPLETELY out of touch with reality. He was besotted with astrology and other such nonsense.

Oh, and he had no interest in using his gifts to make the world a better place either.

He probably has some autistic qualities

He has the mannerisms of a neurotypical. I know a fellow Aspie when I see one.

#26 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

I don't think IQ's measure much

Just a minor quibble

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/G_(factor)

Most measures of g positively correlate with conventional measures of success (income, academic achievement, job performance, career prestige) and negatively correlate with what are generally seen as undesirable life outcomes (school dropout, unplanned childbearing, poverty) -- Geary, D.C. (2005). The Origin of Mind: Evolution of Brain Cognition and General Intelligence. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association. ISBN 1-59147-181-8

this article is pretty pointless, like so many other studies pointing out the known unknowns, except

Some researchers in artificial intelligence have argued that the science of mental ability can be thought of as "computationalism" and is "either silly or pointless," noting, "Mental ability tests measure differences in tasks that will soon be performed for all of us by computational agents."

#27 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

She graduated from MIT

her education (confused, it says she went somewhere else and didn't graduate)

Also do you have her contact info? Talking to her would make me feel less alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users