Robotics, AI, and Immortality

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 05:43 AM

Chat Topics: Robotics, AI, and Immortality

French engineer, Jean Roch (nefastor) joins ImmInst to discuss his work on artificial neurons and full-body prosthetics as a pathway to physical immortality.

Chat Time: Sunday Feb 22, 2004 @ 8 PM Eastern
Chat Room: http://www.imminst.org/chat
or, Server: irc.lucifer.com - Port: 6667 - #immortal

Posted Image

From Jean's ImmInst introductory post:

Greetings fellow immortalists.

I don't like much telling about myself because I like to keep secrets. About me, about what I do, about how I do it and, most importantly, about WHY I do it. However, this ImmInst is a special place where people seem most likely to understand and accept my ideas, as they share the most important one : refusing death. Man, it's even the ImmInst's statement of purpose !

Vast is the internet, and short is time, so I had no idea the ImmInst even existed until I was invited to join by another member (Kenneth "Lazarus Long" Sills : thank you for pointing me in this direction !) after I started posting on Nanogyrl's nanotechnology forum. As you might guess, my posts were about using technology (not just nanotech) to at least stop ageing and, maybe, reach immortality (although I'm not sure I'll ever be able to survive accidents like a pebble-sized meteorite hitting my head...)

So here I am. I'm a 27-year old french engineer (although I got half my degrees in Scotland) in the fields of electronics engineering, computer science and telecommunications. I didn't choose this path because of the money (EECS graduates were all the rage in 2000) but because it has been my passion and hobby ever since I've had hobbies. To this day, most of my spare time goes into personnally (not-well) funded research, in the fields of robotics and AI.

More: http://imminst.org/f...&f=75&t=2130&s=

Posted Image

#2 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:51 PM

Would it be wise to postpone the chat tonight and use the time to address the Alcor issue?

#3 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:58 PM

I suggest we focus on Alcor post regular chat as Jean is making a special attempt to join us from France (2am) and we can still discuss such an important topic after the regular chat.

#4 nefastor

• 304 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:07 AM

I'm online but it's not a big effort for me to be awake at 2 in the morning.

I understand the situation with Alcor and although I do not believe in the possibility of Cryonics I am supporting Alcor. We must also think of the people already in cryo suspension.

If you wish to postpone my chat, it won't be a problem.

I don't think a french citizen has any right voicing his opinion about US legislation but if I can do something to help, I'll be glad to.

People should have the right to choose cyronics. It makes more sense than believing in God, and I don't see anyone saying Churches and religious practice should be regulated by the government.

I'll be online all night.

Jean

#5 chestnut

• 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:22 AM

Thanks Jean.. you're very kind. We shall have your chat topic on schedule.

#6 nefastor

• 304 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:55 AM

Argggg, I tried to open the chat window and I get an empty pop-up. What's happening ?

I thought Java was integrated to Internet Explorer 6 ?

#7 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:05 AM

ah.. you may need to restart and "accept" the java down/applet.. if this doesn't work.. we can do another way.

#8 nefastor

• 304 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:09 AM

My mistake : apparently Java isn't integrated to IE, only to Netscape. I'm downloading the plug-in now and should be ready in a few minutes.

My apologies for not checking in advance.

Jean

#9 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 01:14 AM

no problem.. we're ready for you when you are :)

#10 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 06:51 AM

Chat Archive

<Nefastor> Good evening, everyone. Thanks for having me here tonight :)
<BJKlein> 9 pm Eastern = Alcor Chat
<BJKlein> It's not being opposed
<BJKlein> <FutureQ> Couldn't they have an appeal and good chance of it for how the gov tried slipping it by under the radar?
<BJKlein> <thefirstimmortal> nope
<BJKlein> <TimFreeman> thefirstimmortal: What's your source of information?
<BJKlein> sorry..
<hkhenson> evening nefastor
<FutureQ> hello and welcome
*** Joins: John_McCluskey (~John@modemcable135.5-202-24.mc.videotron.ca)
<hkhenson> <<--Keith Henson
* BJKlein Chat Topic: Robotics, AI, and Immortality
<BJKlein> French engineer
<hkhenson> in and out though
<BJKlein> French engineer, Jean Roch (nefastor) joins ImmInst to discuss his work on artificial neurons and full-body prosthetics as a pathway to physical immortality
<BJKlein> http://imminst.org/f...=ST&f=63&t=3070
<cyborg01> Hi Nefastor
<Nefastor> I'm convinced cybernetics can be the fastest way to immortality, and I'll try to convince you it is ;)
<BJKlein> excellent.. you wont' have much trouble from most of us.. i'd guess..
<Ocsrazor> I agree with you wholeheartedly Jean!
<TimFreeman> So you keep a biological brain, or upload?
<Nefastor> Both are possible
<cyborg01> Me too Nefastor
<Nefastor> Keeping the human biological brain, however, means higher maintenance
<cyborg01> Uploading is even less expensive
<cyborg01> BCI will take some time to develop
<Nefastor> I use the term "inloading" for the replacement of neurons inside the skull
<Ocsrazor> Jean I would say that in the long term you are correct, but I have doubts about the short term
<Nefastor> I too thought that cybernetic was still far in future, but recent developments are proving me wrong
<gustavo> which ones?
<Nefastor> The development of polymer artificial muscles in an important one, of course
<Nefastor> But not the most important
<FutureQ> inllading is more to my liking then discontinuitous destructive uploding
<Nefastor> So far, the biggest limitation had been the energy source
<Nefastor> And it being solved as we speak
<Ocsrazor> I'm curious as to why you think inloading will be necessary Jean, why replace when you can interface?
<cyborg01> Energy source for wat>
<Nefastor> Energy source for a cybernectic body, of course :)
<Nefastor> Inloading isn't necessary, it's only possible
<cyborg01> The body is not the more difficult part
<Nefastor> Inloading has its advantages, such as simplifying maintenance of the brain
<Nefastor> The body, indeed, isn't the most difficult part
<TimFreeman> Is the energy source a problem for inloading too?
<Nefastor> But so far, powering it was
<cyborg01> I have a web site on inloading: http://www.geocities.com/softuploading
<Nefastor> The problem with cybernetics is the reliance of technology upon electrical energy
<Nefastor> The body doesn't use electricity for power
<cyborg01> I doubt if that's really a problem
<cyborg01> Just plug in batteries or watever
<Nefastor> So that use to make machine and living tissue not too compatible
<Nefastor> Batteries offer very limited autonomy
<Nefastor> Machines like "Terminator", are very unrealistic in terms of power
<kzzchX> supercaps and H fuel cells maybe?
<cyborg01> You're right Nefastor, this is a robotics issue
<Nefastor> I had thought of using an hydrogen PEM cell on one of my robots, but a better solution has presented itself
<Nefastor> I will direct you to this simple bit of news :
<Nefastor> http://www.matr.net/article-7673.html
<Nefastor> Which is about the recent discovery of an enzyme that turns sugar into electricity
<FutureQ> Nybe miniianture gas turbines and biodegrade produed methne?
<Nefastor> This enzyme bridges the (energy) gap between life and machine
<cyborg01> Wow... posthumans may still be eating food... what an anticlimax
<Nefastor> I also had thought of MEMS gaz turbines. They remain a good (but expensive) option
<FutureQ> So robotots will be suar fiends
<TimFreeman> I don't see the unrealism in the power requirements for a Terminator type. Very small nuclear power sources are covered in Nanomedicine, and a purely robotic system wouldn't even need it to be very small.
<Nefastor> Indeed cyborgs will still eat food
<Ocsrazor> Something else you might be interested in Jean is the use of NK ATPases on artificial membranes
<Nefastor> Very small nuclear reactors are impossible
<cyborg01> But electricity is pretty cheat isn't it?
<cyborg01> Centralized power plants will do the job
<Ocsrazor> but difficult to store cyborg
<Nefastor> The problem with fission is that it only occurs when there's enough fissile material in a small space.
<cyborg01> No need for each of us to think about food all the time
<cyborg01> I mean, you got a rechargeable battery, and any where you go there will be power outlets
<Nefastor> The thing about using glucose-electricity conversion is that a single source of energy (food) power both the bio and mechanical parts of the cyborg
<FutureQ> I kind of like the idea of culinary bots
<gustavo> I was thinking of keeping my natural brain but getting an artificial, robotic body. Now you tell me it's the other way around.
<FutureQ> robot gormets, hehe
<kzzchX> There's an interesting thought, is the process reversible? Battery powered humans no longer needing to eat? Solar powered even?
<Nefastor> There aren't AC outlets everywhere you go, on this planet
<BJKlein> Nefastor, how would you define the technological singularity?
<cyborg01> Nefastor: the neuromatrix will be quite large in size... an early upload will not be able to move around easily, anyways
<FutureQ> or off planet?
<Nefastor> I'm not sure of your use of the word singularity in this context (I'm french remember :) )
<TimFreeman> Sorry to mislead. I agree about very small fission being impossible. The nuclear power source in nanomedicine was just a speck of radioactively hot mineral and a heat engine; no ongoing fission. Lifetime was about 10 ...
<TimFreeman> years.
<BJKlein> heh.. when computers become smarter than human.. basically.. and they have access to their own source code = self improvement at the speed of light
<Nefastor> I will shortly talk about small fission power
<John_McCluskey> Jean, I've got a question about uploading... Have you thought of any method to attempt to make a backup for a human brain? Anything short of cryonics?
<TimFreeman> I agree that using glucose is more elegant, assuming you have a lot of biological tissue to support too.
<cyborg01> John_McCluskey: I think that's technically possible
<John_McCluskey> Using 2004 technology? Tell me more...
<Nefastor> In order : small fission power is possible but inefficent, run a search on SNAP-9A and NASA. The complexity of the brain is less great than it appears, in any case it is a finite system and can therefore be replaced by another finite system.
<cyborg01> Not 2004 tech... but within a few decades
<Nefastor> I do not intend to backup the brain : I'm a bit afraid of seeing disembodied copies of me haunting my networks :)
<FutureQ> Ummm, not so finite if you conider plasicity
<John_McCluskey> Ah, then we can do nothing except watch our brains slowly decay until then... I'm looking for ways to begin this process in this decade.
<cyborg01> Nefastor is your research mainly in ANNs?
<Nefastor> Plasticity is mainly in synaptic coefficients (speaking of neural networks simulation). I'm in the process of creating a supercomputer designed for that kind of work, with AMD
<cyborg01> Cryonics will do if you arnt averse to it
*** Joins: sjvan (~S.J.@adsl-68-74-193-31.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
<Nefastor> Yes, at the moment my work is on very large NN's
*** Joins: sellinios (~sellinios@195.167.90.98)
<cyborg01> You mean VLSI ANN implementation?
* John_McCluskey thinks we can wait unti 9 pm to address the Alcor situation.
<Nefastor> Not a VLSI
<cyborg01> So... software
<Ocsrazor> Jean there is a great deal more to plasticity in the biological substrate than just synaptic coefficients
<Nefastor> I have designed a supercomputer architecture optimised for NN simulation, and which can scale high enough to someday emulate the entire human brain (within the next five years)
<sellinios> hi immortals !!!!!!!!!!
<Ocsrazor> this is one of the major problems with ann's compared to real nn's
<MichaelA> John McCluskey, are you related to Peter McCluskey?
<cyborg01> Nefastor: you think cluster architectures are insufficient for that job?
<kzzchX> Nefastor: In real time?
<Nefastor> Indeed
<Nefastor> Clusters have too limited interconnect capacity
<Nefastor> The brain is a processing memory, so interconnect capacity is much more important than processing power
<cyborg01> Right... the von neumann bottleneck
<Nefastor> I have therefore designed a machine that has a huge capacity, fine-grain interconnect
<FutureQ> That's the fundamntal diffference IMHO between brain and computers
* John_McCluskey is not related to Peter McCluskey (at least 2 or 3 generations back)
<Nefastor> This machine will soon be developped into hardware, with help from the Brookhaven National Laboratory
<Ocsrazor> its that and the speed of the dynamics FutureQ
<cyborg01> What kind of architecture is it?
<Nefastor> My new architecture tries to bridge the gap between the brain and the computer : it's not a known architecture
<MichaelA> Gotcha
<TimFreeman> Hmm, are there brain chemicals that are important to cognition that diffuse a ways? Then you have an event in one neuron influencing nearby neurons that aren't connected. But the bandwidth of this diffusion couldn't be ...
<TimFreeman> high, so maybe it would be easy to simulate.
<kzzchX> Is it clocked or asynchronus, or a little of both?
*** Joins: davidbe (~davidbe@pcp08866359pcs.sabrna01.az.comcast.net)
<John_McCluskey> Nefastor: Is this supercomputer at all similiar to the Octigabay System? ( http://www.octigabay...ons/product.htm )
<Nefastor> NDA's have been signed so I can't get into much detailed, but I'll just say that the machine has been designed with one goal : being powerful enough to emulate a human brain in real time
<Nefastor> OctigaBay's machine is complitely different from mine
*** Joins: paul (~paul@24-205-216-227.cs-cres.charterpipeline.net)
<Nefastor> So are the following : QCDOC, IBM BlueGene, Cray RedStorm
<John_McCluskey> Using any FPGA's? (I work for Xilinx )
<Nefastor> We are using FPGA's
<Nefastor> But probably not Xilinx, sorry :)
<John_McCluskey> Please don't say the "A" word.
<Nefastor> I won't :)
<Nefastor> But we'll probably use A's products
<TimFreeman> Do you use floating point to simulate the neurons, or some other arithmetic?
<Ocsrazor> excellent, I was just about to ask about the dynamics - biological neural networks rewire on the tens of millisecond time scale - will you be able simulate this?
<Nefastor> The neurons are simulated using a specific model I crafted for low-performance computers. I call it the "1-bit neuron"
<FutureQ> At lestit's not the "M" word
<John_McCluskey> Hmm... Stratix2 multipliers top out at 370 Mhz... our analysis is that it will be hard to get much above 250 MHz in real designs.
<TimFreeman> But if they're 1-bit neurons, I'm not sure you need to multiply.
<Nefastor> Don't worry, I'm not using the FPGA's embedded DSP blocks
<John_McCluskey> Ah... lower resolution... 18 bits is overkill anyway.
<cyborg01> Simulation can be somewat independent of architecture
<Nefastor> The usual neuron models aren't useful for what I have in mind. The 1-bit model operates in the time-domain
*** Joins: sellinios (~sellinios@195.167.90.98)
<Nefastor> The 1-bit neuron's accuracy depends only on temporal accuracy in the system, and then again, plasiticy helps us here
*** Joins: planetp (~planetp@24-205-216-227.cs-cres.charterpipeline.net)
<Nefastor> Actually, my model is very close to how real neurons work
<cyborg01> Can your machine do floating point at all?
<Nefastor> Data is represented as a PWM signal
<planetp> Nefastor - are you saying you account for all the complex neurotransmitter activity?
<Nefastor> Yes my machine is a super-scalar supercomputer
<cyborg01> We don't really know what real neurons do at the moment
<planetp> I agree
<John_McCluskey> I take it you have looked at Hugo deGaris's designs and moved beyond them?
<Nefastor> We have a good idea of it, though :)
<gustavo> Nefastor, since you are emphasizing so much the similarity between your model and a real brain: do you think your machine will be conscious? Will it have intentionality?
<cyborg01> As long as the architecture is generic, it can simulate the brain, given enough teraflops
<Ocsrazor> actually cyborg, we have a damn good idea of how single neurons operate
<kzzchX> I'm thinking i need to read this theoretical neuroscience text i've got
<Nefastor> Nope, I started from the ground, although I recognise Kohonen's influence in my work
<cyborg01> Ocsrazor: which model is that? :)
<Nefastor> The Kohonen model includes forgetting
<cyborg01> You mean SOMs?
<Nefastor> It works a bit like the Hebb's rule in reverse
<Ocsrazor> the statistical nonlinear models can closely represent the operation of single neurons
<cyborg01> I'm working on figuring out that model now
<Nefastor> It's not a recent model so I think all NN books talk about it
<cyborg01> I don't think we have such a model yet.. except the compartmental model
<Nefastor> From the Kohonen model, I moved to a model working in the time-domain and suitable for implementation on 1-bit processors
<John_McCluskey> I'm beginning to realize that it takes many clock cycles for your neurons to decide on an output.
<Nefastor> There is a bunch of real-life prototypes in my lab, giving life to robots
<Nefastor> John, thinking in terms of cycles is what I try to avoid in my model
<cyborg01> What's a one-bit processor?
<Ocsrazor> if he can get it down to a millisecond he is in the ballpark John
<Nefastor> Because it implies a clock, and synchronisation, which don't exist in our brain
<John_McCluskey> self clocked or completely asynchronous logic? tricky in VHDL.
<kzzchX> heh, real life neurons don't have a clock signal :)
<Nefastor> Everything is tricky in VHDL :)
<cyborg01> Unless you're talking about analog?
<Nefastor> I tried analog neurons
<Ocsrazor> but they have to respond to their neighbors within a given time window kzzch
<planetp> Unless you account for the complex neurotransmitter activity you are not representing anything close to human cognition, other than the associate/pattern recognizing/thinking portions.
<FutureQ> Don't tell the watche makers wwhat's afooote :)
<Nefastor> But I couldn't easily implement learning in fully analog hardware
<TimFreeman> You bother building robots? Are simulated environments inadequate?
<Ocsrazor> mammalian cortical neurons have a critical period of roughly 100 ms...
<Ocsrazor> they are extremely sensitive to temporal correlation wtih their neighbors
<kzzchX> but a clock implies a driving signal coming from a central location, so i stand by my claim.
<FutureQ> sim'd environment is inadequate for me, that's for sure. Who does the tech support?
<kzzchX> critical response window != clock
<cyborg01> Maybe a central clock is not necessary
<Nefastor> Vector machines aren't appropriate either, you know, Kz ?
*** Joins: Guest (~Guest@ip68-2-190-124.ph.ph.cox.net)
<Ocsrazor> no kzzch, its a bottom up clock not a top down one
<Nefastor> A central clock isn't necessary, actually the firing of neurons is highly desynchronised
<cyborg01> I'm only aware of Kohonen's work on network models, not single neuron models...
*** Joins: Guest1 (~Guest@ip68-2-190-124.ph.ph.cox.net)
<kzzchX> well, if you want to keep redefining the word clock until your right, be my guest.
<TimFreeman> Either you do your own tech support on the mechanical robot, or your own tech support on a simulated environment, unless there are good enough commodity mechanical robots out there.
<Nefastor> Technically, you don't work on single neurons, Cyborg, always on networks
<John_McCluskey> A central clock is extremely handy if you are doing time division multiplexing to implement virtual neurons.
<Ocsrazor> single neuron models are very robust, the network models are very poor right now
<Nefastor> Who would implement TMD in any kind of modern supercomputer, John ? :)
<cyborg01> Ocsrazor: I don't know of a single neuron model that is as good as the compartmental model
<Nefastor> TDM doesn't scale to buses of 100's of MHz
<cyborg01> TMD=?
<FutureQ> Tim, I mean if I'm nside a box, not walking around the so called real env, then who minds the supercomputer? Do I trust them to not shut it and me and my friends off, take a nap ,amnd oops!
<John_McCluskey> It seems to me that given the Gigabytes of DRAM possible in a small place, you can store a lot of neuron data in a stick of DRAM.
<Nefastor> TDM : Time-Division Multiplexing
<Nefastor> Indeed
<Ocsrazor> cyborg -> see Spiking Neuron Models by Gerstner as a good reference
<TimFreeman> FutureQ: I was talking about the machines Nefastor mentioned having in his office. Putting you in the box isn't a current plan. :-).
<Nefastor> The machines I have in my office include robots
<Nefastor> They aren't "boxes" :)
<John_McCluskey> Do the robots have full duplex IO? Input sensors feeding the network, which drives the motors?
<FutureQ> I have a more mundane question. I see cyborgism rising out of replacements for disabled people's limbs susch as my own useless legsw. How long befreI can lo[p these off and get walking on bionics and how will the attch?
<Nefastor> Indeed
<Nefastor> My robots use reflex-based control logic to achieve high-agility motion
<John_McCluskey> Damn! you should sell them on ThinkGeek!
<BJKlein> as this may shed more light on your work/thinking about BCI, can you tell us why you feel cryonics is not good and/or possible?
<cyborg01> Interfacing is a serious problem.. especially if you take uploading into consideration
<Nefastor> Neural-networks are implemented on 8-bit microcontrollers and are still fast enough
<Nefastor> I didn't say Cryonics wasn't good nor possible... I'm simple not too sure about them :)
*** Joins: John_Ventureville (~John_Vent@24-117-207-248.cpe.cableone.net)
<BJKlein> ahh.. sorry :)
<John_Ventureville> hello everyone
<cyborg01> Will your design be available to the public, or just for industrial use?
<FutureQ> Tim, I see, it sounded like but wasnt, gothca.
<Nefastor> It seems cells die when you freeze them
<BJKlein> die?
<Nefastor> So I don't feel like killing my brain cells
<BJKlein> can you define 'die' in your words?
<kzzchX> Penetrated with ice shards?
<Nefastor> Because of the formation of ice in the cells, which rips the cellular membrane
<John_McCluskey> Yours is still good and fresh, obviously... just wait another 30 years :-)
<John_Ventureville> what about advanced nanotech putting those displaced atoms and molecules back into working order?
<TimFreeman> Um, Alcor has been doing vitrification lately, they claim. No ice in the brain.
<BJKlein> thus, you're really saying it's impossible to put it back together, no?
<Nefastor> In 30 years I'll replace my dying neurons with nanomechanical ones :)
<John_Ventureville> Nefastor, how old are you?
<Nefastor> I THINK it's impossible, I haven't followed all the developments in Cryonics
<Ocsrazor> sorry Tim as far as I know with vitrification you still get crystals right now - not perfected yet :(
<Nefastor> I'm 27
<cyborg01> Nefastor: BCI is even harder than cryonics
<Nefastor> I'm not familiar with the acronim, what's BCI ?
<cyborg01> Brain computer interface
<John_Ventureville> so you are young enough that you have time to see your technology really mature and help you
<Ocsrazor> I would disagree very strongly cyborg
<Nefastor> Ah OK
<Nefastor> Yes I'm actually thinking that before I'm too old technology will have matured and be ready for keeping me alive
<kzzchX> I'll agree with one of you when either technology is actually working as planned, until then, why bother saying which is harder?
<cyborg01> I take cryonics to mean destructive scanning and uploading
<Nefastor> But I'm taking things in my own hands
<FutureQ> Note: on a popular sci-fi show "MutantX" they protrayed "vitrificaton" using buzz words like ischemia, suspended animation, and free raicals. It will play again next sunday on the WB ch.
<Nefastor> Too bad I don't have TV
<Ocsrazor> cyborg - what do you do with the scan assuming you can get it?
<John_Ventureville> Ocs, as I understand it you get "microfractures" with vitrification which when compared to the old style of freezing are nothing to worry about
<cyborg01> Ocsrazor: why, do the simulation of course
<Nefastor> Still, the neurons' membrane holds all our memory, damaging it is damaging your very self
<Nefastor> The neuron's membrane isn't just a container
<Ocsrazor> agreed nefastor
<cyborg01> Some distortion is unavoidable
<Nefastor> That is why I don't like cryonics too much
<TimFreeman> John_Ventureville: Right, the current vitrification does fracture because of the low temperature storage, mostly. Comparison with the old technique isn't pertinent to Nefastor because he's rejecting both.
<John_McCluskey> Jean, assuming someone (with CIA or Bill Gates level of resources) builds a human level machine with your serial neuron architecture... How the hell are you going to program it? let alone download a particular human brain?
<cyborg01> I'm skeptical about it too... but BCI is *much* harder
<Nefastor> But I can't tell if in 500 years we won't be able to reconstruct lost memory from a frozen brain :)
<Ocsrazor> Dendritic Spines and their dynamics ARE the substrate of memory itself
<Jonesey> futureq:mutant x is a neat show though low budget
<Nefastor> John, I don't know how a brain model will be programmed in my machine : right now I'm only making the hardware
<cyborg01> Ocsrazor: those are only short-term memory
<TimFreeman> How do you test the hardware before you can program it?
<Ocsrazor> from someone who works directly in BCI cyborg, I think this is a much less difficult problem than simulating consciousness
<Nefastor> However, I have given a little thought to a neuro-description language, kind of VHDL for neural networks
<Ocsrazor> cyborg they are ALL memory
<FutureQ> yeah, I've keptup with it. I try to watch for how our memes are dissiminated to the public.
<Ocsrazor> both long and short
<cyborg01> Ocsrazor: you have repeated missed the probing density problem... right now our electrode arrays are pathetic :)
<Ocsrazor> but quickly increasing in resolution
<Ocsrazor> our field is a prerequisite to building accurate enough models to simulate
<cyborg01> How many neurons you need to interface with? close to 100 billion!
<Nefastor> Regarding BCI, I believe in direct connection to neurons, in vivo. It will possible soon if I'm not mistaken
* John_McCluskey thinks that a language for neural network design is *very* interesting.
<Ocsrazor> Agreed Jean
* BJKlein official chat ends in a few minutes.. feel free to stay longer to discuss Jean's work and then Alcor
<gustavo> Nefastor, sorry for insisting in my previous question: do you expect your model to replicate "human" phenomena such as learning, emotions, conscousness, intentionality, envy, personality, etc.
<gustavo> love
<Nefastor> Ideally, the signal for each connected neuron will travel through a carbon nanotube
<cyborg01> Nefastor: I think the BCI at least requires a little nanotech
<FutureQ> Mutantx, the one I told about vcr codes Sat, 28 1:00 PM 9 WGN 205008 Sun, 29 1:00 PM 3 KWBP 25184 title "A Normal Life".
<Ocsrazor> Cyborg from our research here I do not believe you will need to interface to every neuron to get a robust simulation
<gustavo> a sense of identity
<Nefastor> Gustavo, I don't know how an artificial brain will behave. I simply have no idea at all
<Nefastor> I will just make it and see
<cyborg01> Ocsrazor: that way, you lose a lot of memories... acceptable, but not really nice
<gustavo> ok
<gustavo> thanks
<John_McCluskey> Jean, how many neurons do you think you can stuff into a box the size of a PC?
<Nefastor> My belief, however, is that a system that works ALMOST like a brain should exhibit self-awareness
<Ocsrazor> you lose the resolution of the memories, not the memories themselves, how much remains to be seen
<TimFreeman> How would you test for self-awareness?
<cyborg01> Nefastor: I have thought about the BCI problem a lot... see my web site
<Nefastor> John, for now, very few neurons compared to a human brain. Within 20 years, I should be able to fit many billions
<cyborg01> And how big would that computer be?
<John_McCluskey> Heh heh... let me tell you sometime about these next gen FPGA coming out later this year...
<Nefastor> There is no way to test for self-awareness. A program can be made to display "I think therefore I am", but won't be sentient
<FutureQ> The trick will be watching to seewhicjh destructive or incremental will actually show signs of self awareness. My mony's on incremental.
<Jonesey> tell away John_McCluskey
<Nefastor> Self awareness isn't even a demonstrated feature of humans
* John_McCluskey wishes he could blab about the new products. but can't.
<Nefastor> John, we have to talk regarding FPGA's : I'll soon order thousands of them
* Jonesey straps John_McCluskey in and shines light in his eyes, start talkin
<TimFreeman> Hmm. Self-awareness is overrated if even humans can't do it. It would be nice to know more about myself, though.
<cyborg01> I firmly believe machines can be self-aware
<FutureQ> sur it is, watch a human peer at a mirror, just like a chimp but mecaque no.
<Jonesey> heh it might not be so nice TimFreeman
<Nefastor> Do you realise we aren't even aware of how our body works ? that we have had to study it ?
<FutureQ> don't you meqn conciousnesws?
<Nefastor> Possibly, a machine that looks out for itself is self-aware
<Nefastor> That is easy to test
<TimFreeman> Nefastor: My lack of self-awareness is frequently obvious to me.
* John_McCluskey agrees with Jean that humans are barely sentient.
<John_Ventureville> I've always wished humans had a much more more innate control over their bodies.

#11 nefastor

• 304 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 08:36 PM

There are many questions I didn't have time to answer fully, so I'll complete the thread by giving them now.

Regarding the power source of a cyborg, besides from direct glucose-electricity conversion which I mentionned, there are other high-efficiency approaches. I present them on my web site, as I have considered them all during my latest robot project :

http://perso.wanadoo...tor/Energy.html

There seem to have been a misunderstanding when I used the words "neuron model" : I'm translating from french, but I believe the same method applies in english. Neural networks are made of neurons, of a given model, arranged in a network, of a given topology. There are topology models but they are obviously unrelated to neuron models.

In my case, I'm using neurons based on the Kohonen neuron model, modified to operate in the time domain and simplifed so it could be computed efficiently by off-the-shelf 8-bit microcontrollers (Atmel AVR).

The question of whether my model is accurate and if a brain design using my neuron model would eventually behave like a human isn't right. I consider the conscious self to be a chain-reaction in a computer - our brain - due to a partial feedback and a constant exposure to stimuli.

Therefore I think any machine built upon mechanisms similar - but not necessarily identical - to the brain's has a chance of working like a brain : a chance to give rise to a chain reaction : decisions when faced with a situation, situation which is in part due to previous decisions.

Whether such an AI would think like a human can't be determined without experimenting, so that's what I'm working towards at the moment. In any case it feels safe to assume that :

- An AI living among humans will adapt to human society and will at some point be identical to any human. I base this on my own integration to the scottish society during my graduate studies : in less than a year I went from total stranger to child of the land. And it happened again when I returned to France 3 years later.

- An AI's general behavior will be dictated by its hardware and neuron model in very subtile ways. For instance, if the AI doesn't simulate hormonal transmission, it could never feel sexual desire towards a man, woman or AI. This lack of desire could then impact its entire behavior.

For those who are wondering about the supercomputer I'm designing, it uses a totally new architecture specifically designed to scale to 1 billion processors while keeping low internal latencies. The requirement was to design a machine with roughly as many processors as there are neurons in the human brain, and provide them with a suitably large interconnect. The objective is to create the perfect artificial brain.

Actual work on this project (making hardware) should start in the next few months. Before you ask : this is an american project, the french are not interested in making computers. As our prime minister Mr. Raffarin said the other day in a public announcement : "scientists and artists are parasites". I'm not kidding.

Back to neurons : my models are, as you now know, simplified so that they can run efficiently on very light hardware. As such, complex neurotransmitter mixes, propagation and cross-talk are not taken into account. There is, however, the possibility of broadcasting stimuli to all neurons, which I use mostly to inflict pain to my machines (just kidding... it's for forcing Hebb-based learning :) )

Broadcast techniques could be used to implement feelings and/or moods. I do not know if that's the case but maybe that what Sony's AIBO uses.

This was a very interesting chat, I'm sorry we couldn't talk more. I just hope the situation with cryonics is resolved quickly. From my french point of view it looks like another case of political stupidity.

Take care, all !

Jean

#12 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 05:32 AM

There is, however, the possibility of broadcasting stimuli to all neurons, which I use mostly to inflict pain to my machines (just kidding... it's for forcing Hebb-based learning

heh.. i love your sense of humor. good chat, and thanks for taking the time to followup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users