• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts
  • 587 â‚®
  • ✔

Posted 18 October 2002 - 09:07 PM

It does not surprise that the focus of this forum has not yet sparked any contributions on this topic. But just for the record: are there any visitors practicing CR and what are your experiences with it?

#2 tet

• 1 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 30 October 2002 - 06:15 PM

What is it? A diet?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,138 posts
  • 2,000 â‚®
  • ✔

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:01 PM

I have not adopted a fully CR diet (being in a state of semi-starvation all the time), but I have cut back on processed sugar and carbs. I mostly eat vegetables and protien. I feel quite healthy. I feel more alert and energetic. If I had to put a number on how much more energetic I would say 10-15%. I still enjoy lots of food and I still eat "bad" food (like pizza, fast food, etc...) a couple times a month.

#4 Chip

• 387 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 31 October 2002 - 12:02 AM

My understanding from a Scientific Frontiers program on PBS, hosted by Alan Alda, CR is one thing that is considered to be confirmed as a longevity enhancing strategy. Of course, essential proteins, vitamins, minerals, and EFAs are necessary. Don't wish to detract but this new stuff concerning essential fatty acids, (EFAs) appears to be incredibly valuable from the new and very well done research as well as my personal experience, taking the suggested dose for six days now (I posted a link to some data on EFAs in the Health News area).

Now if I could just practice more of this CR which is antithetical to the way I was brought up.

Regards, Chip

#5 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,154 posts
  • 587 â‚®
  • ✔

Posted 31 October 2002 - 06:12 PM

Hm. Some need of infomation apparently.

... BobDrake?...

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts
  • 242 â‚®

Posted 01 November 2002 - 03:10 PM

Probably the best place to find info on CR:

http://www.caloriere...n.org/index.htm

Posted Image

I've been restricting calories for the last 6 yrs.
The benefits are worth the sometimes discomforting hunger pangs
and cold feet and hands. For any immortalist, CR should be a real
consideration.

Just cutting out high sugar foods/drinks is a great start.

#7 Saille Willow

• 112 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 02 November 2002 - 01:08 PM

"Man lives on one quarter of what he eats. On the other three quarter his doctor lives.'
Carved on one of the Egyptian pyramids, 5000 years ago.

#8 cameronreilly

• 6 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 12 November 2002 - 11:53 PM

over the last year I have been progressively fasting and cutting down my calories with a goal of moving completely to a CR diet this year. Has anyone else on this list moved in that direction yet? I'd be interested to communicate directly with anyone trying it out. My email is cameronreilly@hotmail.com.

#9 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts
  • 242 â‚®

Posted 13 November 2002 - 06:52 AM

Hi Cameron...
Good Luck.
You may consider joining the CR list.
There're quite active.

#10 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,154 posts
  • 587 â‚®
  • ✔

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:35 PM

You may consider joining the CR list.

That is very good advice... but please keep a contact to this forum as well and let the "uninitiated" take part.

I myself have been on and off CR depending on practical and emotional circumstances. I never got a buzz from it and never felt that my health improved and certainly not my energy.

However, as Chip has pointed out:

CURRENTLY, CALORIC RESTRICTION IS THE ONLY METHOD SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO EXTEND THE LIFESPAN OF MAMMALS DRAMATICALLY!

[!]

#11 cameronreilly

• 6 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 30 November 2002 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the tip, I have subbed to the CR list. :-)

#12 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts
  • 242 â‚®

Posted 30 November 2002 - 11:54 PM

A Post From Peter Voss from the older forums...

I've been practising CRON for over 4 years. My weight has been stable for almost 3 (128.5 lbs 5' 10.5").

CRON is not a diet - it is a lifestyle. Here are some details of my experience:

http://www.optimal.org/peter/cron.htm

I've found that over time as my spouse and family learn that I'm practicing CRON, it does become a lifestyle.

My
Height: 6.1
Weight: 160 - 165 lbs

#13 Saille Willow

• 112 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 01 December 2002 - 04:29 PM

It has been reported that scientists are making progress in understanding how eating less leads to longer life. The hope is that human drugs may be developed to mimic that effect, without having to eat less.

#14 pvoss

• 3 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 01 December 2002 - 06:07 PM

over the last year I have been progressively fasting and cutting down my calories with a goal of moving completely to a CR diet this year. Has anyone else on this list moved in that direction yet? I'd be interested to communicate directly with anyone trying it out. My email is cameronreilly@hotmail.com.

I'd be happy to answer any questions on CRON that I can (public or private). I've now been doing it for over 5 years. My weight has been steady at 128.5 for over 3 years (5'10.5") and hunger is not a problem.

1) It is not a diet - it's a lifestyle (change eating habits in ways that will work for you indefinitely)

2) It's not all or nothing - any reduction on calories/ improvement in nutrition is beneficial. Try to easy into changes - do it slowly but steadily (no yo-yo)

3) Don't do it by focusing on what you shouldn't/can't eat, but rather what good/ nutritious foods you like that you can bring into your life (habitually). Have these good foods freely available at home

#15 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts
  • 242 â‚®

Posted 01 December 2002 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Peter,

Do you have a CR support network? And I've read that you have fewer colds... does this still hold true? I've found similar results, although it's hard to confirm because I've never been one to get a cold.

#16 pvoss

• 3 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 02 December 2002 - 02:35 AM

Not sure what you mean by CR support network, but my girlfriend eats pretty much the same food I do (though not as calorie restricted - she runs marathons). Apart from that, I share a house with others who are not on CR - but my eating habits are too strongly entrenched for that to be any problem at all.

One thing that helps my CRON is that I work from home. I eat many smaller meals a day.

I'm not on any CR email list at this stage - if that's what you mean. I generally find that people with eating disorders dominate topics. Their issues are often quite different from mine.

#17 pvoss

• 3 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 02 December 2002 - 02:37 AM

About colds: Yes, I've only had one or two in five years whereas I used to get them at least twice a year.

#18 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts
  • 242 â‚®

Posted 02 December 2002 - 05:10 AM

Ahh, yeh.. that's what I was asking... Thanks... As for myself, I have a similar situation where my wife understands my habits and eats similar foods. I also work from home and find it easy to stay on target. As for newsgroups, I understand.. I only drop in once in a while to see what's up.

BTW, if you talk with David M., let him know we appreciate him letting us use his irc chat host for #immortal.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#19 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts
  • 3 â‚®

Posted 21 December 2002 - 03:08 AM

CURRENTLY, CALORIC RESTRICTION IS THE ONLY METHOD SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO EXTEND THE LIFESPAN OF MAMMALS DRAMATICALLY!

Incorrect.

Deprenyl is also proven to extend the lifespan of mammals, without starving yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users