Photo
- - - - -

Home - Film lists many risks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• 238 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

It's about an hour and a half long. After attempting to convey dangers that face us, there is an attempt to at least broadly describe that which we need. Two words stuck in my mind, moderation and sharing. By moderation I do not mean what might first come to thought being that Imminst is essentially a forum. Moderation is meant as in conservation and consideration. Sheesh, words are so subject to corruption nowadays: By conservative I don't mean to imply that weird radical violent suicidal strain of political thought that often calls itself conservative. I mean conservative as in behavior that seeks efficiency and wisdom in use of resources.

http://www.youtube.com/homeproject

Edited by Omega, 20 June 2009 - 07:43 PM.

#2 Boondock

• 73 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

I've seen parts of it. The content's not particularly novel, but the videography is absolutely fantastic.

I have a problem, however, with people who say 'moderation' is the solution. What's that actually supposed to mean? That we tell people to be moderate and they'll become moderate? Humans have historically always consumed as much as they can get their hands on and have a use for, and that won't change with a simple consciousness shift. We need either better technological solutions, or legislation. Nothing else will work.

#3 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

Legislation, at least of the restrictive kind, will not work on a global level. Maybe the geographical shift of economical growth patterns will, but probably this will not cause a nett moderation effect. How to cause our economy to become aware of the real costs of resources in stead of just the exploitation costs? And in case we would be able to realise such an economic paradigm shift, how do we deal with the increased costs? The awareness and implementation of real costs of resources will not provide additional income to people to be able to finance a luxurious lifestyle.

General education is is part of the optimistic view, I hope the existing political structures are able to give way to knowledge and initiatives of young intelligent people regardless of their geographical or social background.

The videography is awesome indeed btw., a kind of trojan horse to be able to deliver this meme while sipping on a nice glass of wine.....

Edited by Brainbox, 20 June 2009 - 09:38 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 Boondock

• 73 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

I don't disagree with that analysis, but for me the problem with any solution is the scale of the challenge that we face. The problem isn't really carbon emissions, or depleting resources, or pollution of the environment. The problem is the entire economic paradigm we're living with, where we pursue "growth" continuously and without an end. The growth paradigm is continuous, while the environment is finite; eventually you're going to reach some limits.

What I'm saying is that either we need technology to make growth possible without these limits being reached, or we need to somehow abandon the growth paradigm. I don't know how we could do the latter without forcing ourselves to do so, which is where legislation would come in - although I agree in practice it would be almost impossible to achieve.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:32 PM

I've almost never seen the Tragedy of the Commons avoided without legislation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users