• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

The singularity and the US Army

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Solve

• 41 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

From wiki and 'the predictions of Ray Kurzweil', the Singularity is going to occur in 2045.
But I was under the impression that the technology that the US ARMY is developing is 50 years ahead of current technology.
So shouldn't the US ARMY have passed the Singularity stage?
Do you think they're keeping it under wraps?

Solve :)

#2 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:23 PM

From wiki and 'the predictions of Ray Kurzweil', the Singularity is going to occur in 2045.
But I was under the impression that the technology that the US ARMY is developing is 50 years ahead of current technology.

I'd imagine kurzweil means that in 50 years time humanity (as a whole) will have reached the necessary level of technological advancement for the singularity to occur. For all we know the military has "singularity level" technology available to it, but until that kind of technology becomes available, a singularity probably will not take place. Maybe I'm wrong here but I cant see self perpetuating exponential gains happening in military tech.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

I see it as a biological singularity. It's a mesh of humans and technology. Each revolution be it social, political, economic, sexual or technological brings us closer to the tipping point.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

No. There is no way that the US Military is 50 years ahead of current technology. That technology just doesn't exist yet. This reminds me of the conspiracy theory that claimed that the US military "created" HIV/AIDS in order to kill Black people. No one knew how to do that at the time, and we still don't. Perhaps what you heard is that the US Military is making plans that reach 50 years in the future.

#5 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

You could also cosider Gibsons maxim: "The future is already here it's just not evenly distributed"

#6 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

As to what the singularity may look like:

Posted Image

#7 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

The US Army (more specifically DARPA) is no where near 50 years ahead. At most it is 5-10 years ahead, which isn't that much ahead then private research enterprises.

Besides, most of the armies research is conducted by private institutions or university research teams, last I heard the army only conducts about 5% of research it's self.

#8 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

You could also cosider Gibsons maxim: "The future is already here it's just not evenly distributed"

Sometimes the distribution is the thing, like for example the Internet.
Perhaps "Fragments of the future are already here" would be more accurate.

#9 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

Sometimes the distribution is the thing, like for example the Internet.
Perhaps "Fragments of the future are already here" would be more accurate.

Sort of like a few people today get full genome sequencing done. 5 years from now thousands of people will and 10 years from now in developed nations it will be routine. 30 years from now most nations will be developed.

Today some parts of the world have a lot of old people. 15-30 years from now most of the world will have a lot of old people.

#10 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

No. There is no way that the US Military is 50 years ahead of current technology. That technology just doesn't exist yet. This reminds me of the conspiracy theory that claimed that the US military "created" HIV/AIDS in order to kill Black people. No one knew how to do that at the time, and we still don't. Perhaps what you heard is that the US Military is making plans that reach 50 years in the future.

I agree. Lol how can people believe that the US military tech is 50 years ahead of time, it beats me.. some common sense is always good.

Reminds me of what people -here in Brazil at least- used to say in the times that the Pentium 4 was the best processor, that Nasa had already the equivalent of a Pentium 20 or something.

#11 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:54 AM

I agree. Lol how can people believe that the US military tech is 50 years ahead of time, it beats me.. some common sense is always good.

Reminds me of what people -here in Brazil at least- used to say in the times that the Pentium 4 was the best processor, that Nasa had already the equivalent of a Pentium 20 or something.

I believe the military has far more advanced technology though 50 years is stretching it a bit; I would believe something like 10 or 15 years ahead. They have some highly guarded bases in which they're ready to shoot anyone that gets too close one of which they refuse to acknowledge even exists. It's like Germany in 1942 when they launched the first rocket into space none of the other countries had that type of technology and they apparently didn't achieve it until 1957 when Russia launched it's first carrying the first satellite Sputnik (the U.S. shortly followed).

#12 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:12 AM

If the Pentagon can do X today, X isn't "50 years ahead" of anything.

It's like calling China "the Far East." China isn't "far" if you live there.

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:44 AM

At most it is 5-10 years ahead, which isn't that much ahead then private research enterprises.

I would believe something like 10 or 15 years ahead.

How could even this be the case? The military is at best on the cutting edge of technology, as are the best industrial and academic groups. The military might be ahead of everyone else in a few very unique areas, like maybe they have developed some new ways of killing people that no one else has, but there is just no way that they are even 5 years ahead of everyone else over a broad swath of technologies. They are reliant on academic and industrial labs for a lot of what they do. They certainly have some very sophisticated weapons systems that many billions of dollars have been invested in, but they don't have batteries that are better than todays Li-ion jobs, they can't regrow limbs or fix traumatic brain injury, hell, they're still putting people in harms way instead of using robots for everything. Think of where we will be in 10 or 15 years. Is there any evidence that the military is there now? I don't see it.

#14 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:40 AM

How could even this be the case? The military is at best on the cutting edge of technology, as are the best industrial and academic groups. The military might be ahead of everyone else in a few very unique areas, like maybe they have developed some new ways of killing people that no one else has, but there is just no way that they are even 5 years ahead of everyone else over a broad swath of technologies. They are reliant on academic and industrial labs for a lot of what they do. They certainly have some very sophisticated weapons systems that many billions of dollars have been invested in, but they don't have batteries that are better than todays Li-ion jobs, they can't regrow limbs or fix traumatic brain injury, hell, they're still putting people in harms way instead of using robots for everything. Think of where we will be in 10 or 15 years. Is there any evidence that the military is there now? I don't see it.

In certain areas the military can definitely be even up to 50 years ahead! Look at the Blended Wing Body, the air force has had it for decades, yet it will not go commercial for at least 30-40 years from now.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:54 AM

At most it is 5-10 years ahead, which isn't that much ahead then private research enterprises.

umm, I think I may have misunderstood your post in my last post

#16 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:55 AM

I didn't mean they were more advanced in every aspect, like you said it may simply be in certain areas. For example, the military was using a prototype of the internet in the 70s long before it went to the public, they were also using fiber optics long before they released it to the public, etc. Today they have robotic limbs (similar to what Will Smith had in I, Robot) that look more realistic and they've been testing them on veterans that have no arms (that technology is still not available to the public).

#17 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:58 AM

Posted Image

#18 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:18 AM

Posted Image

I remember seeing one with what looked like silicone covering which made it look more realistic; a demonstration was shown on the Spanish news a few months back.

#19 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

My brother had a copy of that lying around a while back. Notice the guys wedding band.

#20 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

Today they have robotic limbs (similar to what Will Smith had in I, Robot) that look more realistic and they've been testing them on veterans that have no arms (that technology is still not available to the public).

Constructed by civilians no doubt.

#21 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:23 PM

Today they have robotic limbs (similar to what Will Smith had in I, Robot) that look more realistic and they've been testing them on veterans that have no arms (that technology is still not available to the public).

Constructed by civilians no doubt.

In cooperation with the military though.

#22 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

Solve :~

One word. CLASSIFIED.

#23 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

Solve :~

One word. CLASSIFIED.

Wikipedia isn't a reliable source and if they really did have technology 50 years ahead don't you think they would have used it to find people like Osama Bin Laden or crush the terrorist resistance in Iraq by now?

#24 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:44 AM

One word. CLASSIFIED.

Wikipedia isn't a reliable source and if they really did have technology 50 years ahead don't you think they would have used it to find people like Osama Bin Laden or crush the terrorist resistance in Iraq by now?

Not unless it serves them to keep things the way they are for the majority of the population. And I take exception to your description of things in Iraq. The 'terrorist resistance' as you so simplistically put it is really just people defending their homeland.

The united states is the guilty party there, not the Iraqis, who I will add have died in the hundreds of thousands since the U.S led invasion. Are you saying the majority of that 100 thousand people were terrorists? eh let's not even discuss this. I am ashamed of the united states in this regard.

Edited by TheFountain, 29 June 2009 - 05:44 AM.

#25 solbanger

• 215 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

One word. CLASSIFIED.

Not unless it serves them to keep things the way they are for the majority of the population. And I take exception to your description of things in Iraq. The 'terrorist resistance' as you so simplistically put it is really just people defending their homeland.

The united states is the guilty party there, not the Iraqis, who I will add have died in the hundreds of thousands since the U.S led invasion. Are you saying the majority of that 100 thousand people were terrorists? eh let's not even discuss this. I am ashamed of the united states in this regard.

I think this whole talkback is based on vague definitions of technology. The way the original question is stated is oversimplified and a little weird. Why would the military care about some sci-fi concept with no reasonable blueprint to devote billions of dollars towards? As if the dept of defense would simply drop millions into making anti-grav jetpacks because they remember it from the Jetsons cartoon. The military probably does have advanced encryption/decryption AI technologies as well as sophisticated monitoring equipment in the event that they need to cyber-attack another country's web network, but it's not like they're working on the cure to Crohn's disease. Also why would it be a big secret? They have to cull experts from the university system like all other businesses that want the latest research. Unless of course each year thousands of professors are blindfolded and dragged to a remote desert location to hear a military commander complain about how buggy Windows Vista works when updating his facebook page.

Edited by solbanger, 29 June 2009 - 02:31 PM.

#26 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

Solve :|w

One word. CLASSIFIED.

The U.S. did not go in and purposely try to kill civilians, they're the unfortunate victims of ongoing battle between the U.S. military and extremist terrorists that do not want us there. No where in the my previous post did I say all the Iraqis were terrorists.

#27 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

One word. CLASSIFIED.

The U.S. did not go in and purposely try to kill civilians, they're the unfortunate victims of ongoing battle between the U.S. military and extremist terrorists that do not want us there. No where in the my previous post did I say all the Iraqis were terrorists.

You are being too much of an apologist for the united states. Fact of the matter is that the united states military is responsible for the majority of civilian casualties in iraq due to one fact, indiscriminate targeting. They have not tried that well to distinguish between civilian and military targets. Therefor they have been consciously killing civilians for 6 years.

Again you called the people who defend their own land from invaders 'terrorists'. I always thought the invaders of said lands were terrorists. In this case the U.S military. I am not saying other countries are perfect, but people need to stop being U.S apologists and realize how guilty we are of so much worldly problems. I am sick of hearing about how wonderful 'we' are.

Anyway, back on topic, if you don't think the u.s government can control disclosure regarding new classified technology then apparently you never heard of MK ultra (there are thousands of websites dedicated to it, google it). They can control anything they damn well please. Including peoples minds.

I could be wrong about everything, I mean the universe might just be a worm crawling on the back of some omnipotence that merely has yet to eliminate it, but I am speaking of observed phenomenon right now. Nothing else. And I am going to stop talking about this right now because every time I (or any of us) talks about it our words are processed through some elaborate computer program that is designed to seek out and eliminate undesirable language (technology only 'they' are in possession of).

haha just kidding...

or am I?

Edited by TheFountain, 29 June 2009 - 07:43 PM.

#28 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

Okay I am going to shut up about this topic now, because I am too scared to continue to talk about it since obviously very few on this website feel this way. But there are forums all over the net in which people openly discuss these issues without fear. I just do not want to be the only one talking about this stuff, it starts to feel lonely and frightening when so many other's are clueless about it. And perhaps I start getting paranoid. So that's it, I am shutting up about it until someone else shows me they aren't so naive on this subject.

Edited by TheFountain, 29 June 2009 - 07:39 PM.

#29 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:41 PM

Okay I am going to shut up about this topic now, because I am too scared to continue to talk about it since obviously very few on this website feel this way. But there are forums all over the net in which people openly discuss these issues without fear. I just do not want to be the only one talking about this stuff, it starts to feel lonely and frightening when so many other's are clueless about it. And perhaps I start getting paranoid. So that's it, I am shutting up about it until someone else shows me they aren't so naive on this subject.

I think you are being paranoid and/or naive. Your own example, MK ultra was an utter failure showing that even the military can only do that much. Most ex-classified projects show that the military was never that much ahead of it's time, at least not in every or most regard; just in some corner-cases. Although, you are right if you are implying that the US waged an aggressive war against the Iraq and that the responsible people should be judged accordingly (i.e. as the war criminals they are).

sponsored ad

• Advert

#30 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:31 AM

One word. CLASSIFIED.

You are being too much of an apologist for the united states. Fact of the matter is that the united states military is responsible for the majority of civilian casualties in iraq due to one fact, indiscriminate targeting. They have not tried that well to distinguish between civilian and military targets. Therefor they have been consciously killing civilians for 6 years.

Again you called the people who defend their own land from invaders 'terrorists'. I always thought the invaders of said lands were terrorists. In this case the U.S military. I am not saying other countries are perfect, but people need to stop being U.S apologists and realize how guilty we are of so much worldly problems. I am sick of hearing about how wonderful 'we' are.

Anyway, back on topic, if you don't think the u.s government can control disclosure regarding new classified technology then apparently you never heard of MK ultra (there are thousands of websites dedicated to it, google it). They can control anything they damn well please. Including peoples minds.

I could be wrong about everything, I mean the universe might just be a worm crawling on the back of some omnipotence that merely has yet to eliminate it, but I am speaking of observed phenomenon right now. Nothing else. And I am going to stop talking about this right now because every time I (or any of us) talks about it our words are processed through some elaborate computer program that is designed to seek out and eliminate undesirable language (technology only 'they' are in possession of).

haha just kidding...

or am I?

I'm calling the religious extremists in Iraq that engage in suicide bombings (that kill their own people) terrorists. Don't tell me you don't view people that engage in said behavior terrorists?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users