- - - - -

Chat Box Trial

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

There is a trial for a chat box (also called a "shout box", but thats not what this is meant to encourage) underway.
This is a beta version, because we can't get the release version to work. So there may be a few glitches.
Please let us know any feedback regardless.

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

When I click on the "My Prefs" button, it takes me to a new page where the chat box is much larger and fills the page. This view is useful for fast moving / multiple conversations.

Is there a more direct way to access it?

#3 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

If there is a way to enable pm in the chat that would be great, and if there is a way to enable a choice between should box 1 through 3 or 1 through 5 or something that would probably be a good idea too.

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:03 PM

It might be cool to have a disable button or something so the chat isn't running in all my imminst tabs.

#5 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

I have to say, this could be quite revolutionary for imminst!

Like BP said, having private chat boxes in PM would also be a great idea!

#6 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

It might be cool to have a disable button or something so the chat isn't running in all my imminst tabs.

that and put it at the bottom of the screen.

and having a way to disable all the supplement related chat somehow...

Edited by eternaltraveler, 25 June 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#7 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Now, I'm wondering if chat is such a good idea after all. seems like a lot of interesting discussions are lost instead of being part of the forum.

A twitter-like interface might be nice too.

Edited by rwac, 25 June 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#8 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

Plus, all the forums seem to be broken. Noone has noticed yet, because the chat is so much fun.

[codebox]
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '/', expecting T_FUNCTION in /home/imminst/public_html/forum/sources/action_public/boards.php on line 326[/codebox]

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

One consideration is that the chat box moves sponsor banner ads further down the page, maybe not good for our sponsors.

Also, I noticed that when the chat box is open, it causes my browser window/page to jump/twitch at a regular rate.

If I had to suggest a spot for the shout box, it would be below the proposed new frame (to display front page links/content) on the left hand side of the screen.

Seems like it would be a very good tool for keeping people engaged, however, it might take something away from the forum postings/traffic, as was mentioned above.

#10 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far.
We'll leave this running till the next management meeting to get some more.
Obviously this has other implications such as how this will change the dynamics of communication at ImmInst, so members views are welcome on these broader points.

On specifics:
There is a disable button on the upper right hand side, I have made it a bit more visible.
The box could go below the forums or could only be on certain pages, but I leave it up there for now, so it doesn't get missed during the trial period.
There is (limited) remit for a more sophisticated chat feature, but that will have to wait for a few days.
The forum is not broken, it was only being modified for a minute, but I'm glad to hear that the chat is so much fun that few would notice.

Also, I noticed that when the chat box is open, it causes my browser window/page to jump/twitch at a regular rate.

That shouldn't happen with a modern screen size on a fully open browser - anyone else having this problem?

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

It was a screen resolution problem.

#12 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

I'm getting a distracting flickering of the buttons (Firefox 3.0.11 on XP).

The four buttons there now are

* shout
* clear
* refresh
* my prefs

Every three seconds or so the refresh button vanishes for a moment and then reappears. A bit headache inducing.

#13 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

I love the chat box idea, very cool, seems to slow down page loading even when minimized but perhaps my network is just running slow.

Edited by edward, 26 June 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#14 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

I prefer that chatboxes be on the bottom of a forum, it seems to work better--less distracting for those who don't use the chat box or are here to search for specific information.

#15 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

Looking at what settings you can have for the chatbox in Admin, I noticed that you can have archiving on or off, and we appear to have archiving on but I was not sure where the chat box is being archived, on another forum that has a chatbox you can go back over past days/months of chat on a separate page.

#16 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

It could be useful to have a non-archived place for ImmInst members to discuss. For professional reasons many will not discuss some of the more controversial topics around here, such as their views on extreme life extension or use of nootropics.

#17 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

concept absolutely great imo:
- i think it will make people know each other better in the imminst community
- and discuss/organize/be involved in important life extension projects.
- also it might lead to less posting but better posting: quality rather than quantity
[well, except for supplement threads perhaps...]

technical improvement suggestions (if not too difficult to do):
- if it is not already the case, it would be nice if the chat is active only if the page is active; that way there is no useless internet information exchange.
- also one could click on the chat to "pause/play".
- also one could click on the title to "reduce/open" the chat; this should allow to display a higher chat than currently
- improved colors/borders, less space between lines, no need for parenthesis next tot the datetime, only 8 first letters of nickname displayed

#18 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:15 PM

An on off option for archiving would be awesome for those reasons. If thats the case then super. It would be useful to archive some things but not others.

concept absolutely great imo:
- i think it will make people know each other better in the imminst community
- and discuss/organize/be involved in important life extension projects.
- also it might lead to less posting but better posting: quality rather than quantity
[well, except for supplement threads perhaps...]

technical improvement suggestions (if not too difficult to do):
- if it is not already the case, it would be nice if the chat is active only if the page is active; that way there is no useless internet information exchange.
- also one could click on the chat to "pause/play".
- also one could click on the title to "reduce/open" the chat; this should allow to display a higher chat than currently
- improved colors/borders, less space between lines, no need for parenthesis next tot the datetime, only 8 first letters of nickname displayed

I think there is a reduce option there. I see a little - symbol inthe corner. That should take care of the pause play. I think the "display global" option in the preferences button makes it so the box can be dissabled for all pages if a person chooses.

This makes me wonder if a skype interface can be put in the forums in a similar fashion.

#19 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:42 AM

Caliban, is the chat box being archived? Can it be moved to the bottom of our forum?

#20 debu

• 108 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:20 AM

I have about ten tabs of imminst open and the chat box causes them to shake like an earthquake within my browser..

firefox on my win machine.

Edited by debu, 27 June 2009 - 04:21 AM.

#21 magnelectro

• 49 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:52 AM

I LOVE the chatbox!!! It is so much more engaging. Too often I get into passive 'reading mode' and end up lurking the forums instead of posting. The chatbox really got my mind lubricated this evening. Exchanging ideas in real time with this crowd is a lot of fun!

Is it possible to access the archive? There were some good ideas in the thread of a conversation I was having that I'd like to follow up on but I refreshed the page and lost most of the chat.

#22 supernoober

• 40 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

ITS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ILOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#23 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

I think it is a great idea.. if activity drops then it could be shut off.. but for the time being it allows instant and public interactivity which I think is great and it doesn't take up too much real estate and can be shrunk for those who don't care.. one might want to make its' presence configurable via a cookie.

#24 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:42 AM

The chat box is making my page bounce with its constant refreshing. How do I disable it.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it.

Edited by TheFountain, 28 June 2009 - 12:43 AM.

#25 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:54 AM

That shouldn't happen with a modern screen size on a fully open browser - anyone else having this problem?

Yeah, the refresh button keeps flickering on and off which makes the box change size and offset everything below it. My screen is resolution is 1024 x 768 and I'm running internet Explorer with the screen maximized.

#26 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

Makes my page hop in a heartbeat like rhythm. I dislike it.

#27 Luke Parrish

• 140 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

I LOVE the chatbox!!! It is so much more engaging. Too often I get into passive 'reading mode' and end up lurking the forums instead of posting. The chatbox really got my mind lubricated this evening. Exchanging ideas in real time with this crowd is a lot of fun!

Is it possible to access the archive? There were some good ideas in the thread of a conversation I was having that I'd like to follow up on but I refreshed the page and lost most of the chat.

I totally agree with this. It is awesome, and creates more of a personal connection.

If it is being archived, there should be a little note saying so (a link to the archive for the day would be great) and a tiny PM icon next to people's names just in case they ask a question you don't want the whole internet hearing the answer to.

#28 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

Can some one fix that chat box my page is going up and down all the time ( XP with IE ver. 6) Very annoying.

#29 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

Yup, I also have that problem, which means I have to disable it in order to read the forum. I have no choice but to run this resolution (1024 x 768). On higher resolutions this problem doesn't happen.

#30 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

My only complaints are 1) the keys keep rapidly shifting every two seconds and 2) the refresh button disappears for a second when you hit it. Other than that I just don't see why more people aren't jumping on this feature. I mean we have over 8000 members now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users