• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Quantum Computing

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 PaulH

• 116 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:27 AM

Assuming we are able at some point in the future to successfully creat a Quantum Computer with a 1000+ qubits, does it have the necessary computational capacity to run an uploaded human mind? The reason I ask, is that its my understand that quantum computing is only capable of running specific applications suited to certain types of parrallel procession applications. Would this include the human mind?

My thinking was if this was possible, it would immensely reduce the overall physical requirements in processing speed and capacity for being an upload. And if this was the case, then the possibilities of what an uploaded "quantum compute" mind could do would seem to expand immensely. And I may be jumping the gun, but I can then imagine a volume as small as a sand or pollen grain, being sufficient space to run thousands/millions of uploaded minds.

Anyone care to illuminate this possibility?

Edited by planetp, 21 March 2003 - 06:29 AM.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 06:19 AM

Great question planetp... you should join us in this Sunday's chat - (Mar23) as we discuss the topic 'philosophy of mind' in the chat.

I think it's very possible to have subjective experience shrunken to the nanoscale and beyond to the quantum scale. The current biological brain working via biochemical reaction is incredibly complex and multi-layered.. but also exceedingly cumbersome in comparison to electronics. Thus, it's not difficult to imagine gaining power and precision as we use less and less space.. another advantage is speed.. not only from the electronic aspect but also because smaller devices take less travel time for information.. and thus an increase in perception and intelligence is to be expected.

But I don't think we'll simply resign ourselves to the head of a pen... our DNA has coded us to expand.. and life in general seems to follow this model.. ever growing and expanding.. hell the universe itself seems to follow this model.. always expanding. hopefully an infinite process..

Thus, when given the chance.. humans will quickly jumpstart, augment and improve the biological brain and intelligence by using ever more mass and energy... This is where we’re going to look computronium and the Singularity squarely in the face. To that end, I’m totally at a loss for describable terms…. I will say it’s going to be great fun.

#3 PaulH

• Topic Starter
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 06:41 AM

Yes, I will try to be home in time for Sunday's Chat. :)

Up until now I have always presupposed that the trajectory of accelerating intelligence will entail an increase in computronium mass. This could still be the case, however I'm now considering another more interesting possibility:

As intelligence increases tetrationally, its also seems possible that its ability to minuturize and compactify volumetrically could accelerate faster than its needs to expand volumetrically. So rather than an increasing amount of mass succumbing to computronium conversion, the opposte occurs - an intelligence collapsar in which the matter used decreases as intelligence increases, resulting in a singularity (in the original use of the word).

To me this is another viable explanation of the Fermi Paradox.

Either way I think you're right - its going to be loads of fun.

Edited by planetp, 22 March 2003 - 10:57 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 08:38 PM

When you look at Kurzweil's models on exponential growing CPU-power, you will find that we'll have human brain capacity computation in a $1000 dollar chip by 2020. The silicon paradigm will run out of steam in a matter of years. Despite that, in 2010, there'll be enough computational power to realistically simulate realtime the chemical processes within our cells.

It all makes sense, considering the fact that CPU-power will keep on doubling every year or so.

But lately, I have read many positive newsarticles on quantum computation. It has been proven that quantum computers can indeed be built, a number has been primed by quantum computation, the number of qubits that can be entangled has been raised from 10 to almost 100, and I also recall that scientists got something to work of which they thought they would not be able to do it for at least a century. And then there's this: http://www.newscient...p?id=ns99993114

If I am to believe the media, this society will have useful, working quantumcomputers in the not so distant future. Science will use these computers first, from what I read. Ian Pearson predicts the quantum computer to be available in 2007, which is pretty damn soon.

But what I don't understand, is that nobody ever really seems to take into account the speedy development of quantumcomputers. Considering the fact that science has already figured out how to entangle almost 100 qubits, it is reasonable to assume that, when the world's first useful quantumcomputer is built, there will be at least 100 entangled qubits at work. And since the power of such a computer grows exponentially with every extra qubit, these quantumcomputers will be absolute monsters in terms of computational power.

For example: 300 entangled qubits can store more information than a 'normal' bit-memory with the length of 10^80 bits. 10^80 is the number of estimated particles in the entire Universe.

I wonder... could it be that humanity will soon have tremendous computational power to it's disposal? A computational power that modellers and extrapolators like Kurzweil have not taken into account when making up their models?

Any thoughts on this?

P.S. This seemed like the most appropriate forum to post this in, even though I could have placed it in the Singularity forum I guess... Anyways: you're welcome to kick it elsewhere, Bruce. :)

Edited by Jay the Avenger, 03 April 2003 - 09:56 PM.

#5 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 08:44 PM

Oh, and ofcourse there are other developments, like lightcomputers and DNA-computers.

And things like these...

http://www.kurzweila......html?id=1811

#6 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 03 April 2003 - 09:15 PM

And don't forget our ability to soon connect both with and through a webmind link to the quantum computers and one also another.

#7 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 09:17 PM

Our ability to create True AI as a seed quality of human intelligence will probably accelerate well ahead of any and all efforts to encrypt an AI from scratch, friendly or otherwise. It may even already be happening.

#8 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 09:54 PM

Interesting, Lazarus.

Since you seem to be quite the developed mind, could you please enlighten me a little more on what you know about connecting our minds to (quantum)-computers?

I personally have read very little on this subject. I am curious though.

What have you read that makes you think it can be done soon?

#9 Thomas

• 129 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 10:38 AM

It's not inconceivable, that we will have enough computing power to ignite the Singularity sooner, than previously thought.

That's my answer.

- Thomas

#10 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 01:45 PM

What have you read that makes you think it can be done soon?

First, there is a soon to be testable hypothesis, is the Human Mind in fact already an example of a quantum biocomp?

Second, can human minds be linked?

This is actually a given, we already communicate, the question really revolves around a new type of linkage that mimics web technology.

Third, how fast the interface to the brain can be developed as in the hippocampal implant and the corrolary and ancillary developments this approach provides.

Fourth, can software be created that allows direct communication between a sentient human and an Artificial Intelligence?

Again this parallel development is beginning to accelerate well ahead of both theoretical mathematics and the applied computer languages, by the very simple expedient of mimicking already existing models evolved through nature.

Also it appears the actual "program language" of physiology is remarkably simple. Simple the way a brick is. Each brick in itself is quite mundane, but can be assembled in fantastically diverse and complicated manners. Our bodies function with "simple programs" that are assembled into remarkably diverse applications; DNA/RNA and the synaptic neurophysiological interface.

Fifth, what will occur once human minds interface with each other AND the Web? Will this herald just a lot of talk, or a quantum leap in computation power by the members of the link?

If you haven't noticed I have avoided the evolutionary biology arguments of Lovelock and other GAIA theorists that this is also a product of Natural Selection for a biological Singularity.

I am still unprepared to make that argument but evidence is mounting that we are at least being subjected to a specie's wide universal meme of tremendously powerful "self prophetic" character.

Now ask a more important question. Who are we going to allow to make the first linkage?

You had better have a lot of trust in these Transhumans because while nothing might happen, the potential for almost unimaginable power to fall into their hands as a mental collective is also a possibility. If there is almost any level of success then the mutation of this core group into a new type of (superbeing) species is almost a probability.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 04 April 2003 - 01:52 PM.

#11 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 01:55 PM

Look at it the other way around, the hardware is catching up to the software that already exists in our minds. The technology reflects an extension of BOTH our physical and MENTAL grasping instinct.

#12 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 03:39 PM

First, there is a soon to be testable hypothesis, is the Human Mind in fact already an example of a quantum biocomp?

How can this soon be tested?

#13 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 05:02 PM

The more we think about it the sooner it will be tested.

Realistically the hypothesis probably can be tested against the very same computers that are about to go "online" over the next few months at IBM and a workable "test" modelled in "more or less" two years at current rates of medtech progress and the ability to integrate with Artificial Intelligence tech.

The real test is possible once we can "follow" the brain's computation process in detailed steps. We are almost there. It isn't just about the number crunching ability, it isn't just about the "software", it is about how to define and manage complex reasoning in a facil and creative manner integrating the abilities with both structured and randomized test methods & values.

Start again with a different question that you are overlooking, reexamine the definition of a "Quantum Computer".

Are you talking only about processing speed?
That plus the quantity of data?
The quality of computation accuracy?
All of the above?
Or all those plus an additional yet to be defined element?

And all this is separate from the "self awareness" aspect of the software we use to program the mechanical quantum computers with. In the integrated biocomp scenario we bring that element into play and drive the process through an exercise of the "will". Another quintessential aspect that we barely can construct algorithmically without dramatic conundrums.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 04 April 2003 - 05:09 PM.

#14 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 06:25 PM

What sort of computers, against which the hypothesis can be tested, are going online over at IBM then?

#15 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 06:47 PM

Also as an aside and a point of exquisite irony that shouldn't be lost to those that are true students of the arcane study of "intelligence", there are two competing interests that are in direct competition and a race for accelerated developent at this very moment. And these competing interests depend upon diametrically opposed methods and philosophies.

Medicine and War; Healers versus Killers.

Consider it the "Guns versus Butter" debate with a vengance. Lifesaviors and healers are in direct competition for global access and resources with the developing war machinery to pervert their methods into weapons and restrict open access with medical technologists that are trying to do the exact opposite so as to more effectively fight disease and rapidly develop counter methods against plague as well as develop and distribute advanced biotech enhancement.

The Senate Bill before them right now to restrict some forms of biological research and to additionally restrict access to the technological development is the OPPOSITE of what most researchers world wide (including Americans) are asking for. I bring this up because it parallels the discussion on emerging AI as it will come to dominate that area of R&D over the next decade in exactly the same manner.

It will have the effect of making much of the work become clandestine here and sending many serious researchers abroad to continue their work. Yesterday China apologized for impeding access to medical data in Guangdong province early in the SARS spread.

What I find fascinating (besides any government apologizing) is that China apologized before any government seriously asked for one.
On the Trail of an Asian Contagion

Now ask why?

The preliminary data and importance of the SARS epidemic is that it has functioned as a test run for both National and International Bioweapon's response teams and Global Medical response methods. The initial data shows that we responded well, but that we are completely dependent on each other already to make the system work and that we have a lot of work in common yet to accomplish.

The ONLY recognized institutions for dealing with major global health concerns that can move soon enough to be effective are all basically part of the United Nations. And this is again an exact parallel to the dilemma that will now be faced by "serious" AI R&D.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 04 April 2003 - 06:52 PM.

#16 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 07:00 PM

Time for some homework of your own then. Go back and review the posts on Nanotech, cybernetics, and the areas of Quantum Computers already in relvent forum sections.
Nanotechnology
Neural Interfacing Resources [CIRA]

Cyborgs are Us

You will find that IBM announced late last year that it (by now) has already begun design and assembly of what it predicts will be a quantum computer. In fact I believe they are building it near where I live at a recently renovated facility. You will also see that nanotech has already accomplished some material science issues that can decrease the size and dramatically improve not just chip performance but complex circuitry and component size for such ancillary items as switches, relays, transitors etc. It is also about dramatic improvements in memory tech coming from nanotech and how these are integratnig with parallel developments in cybernetics that have been developing independently. Again I suggest a review of many articles rather than one.

Ther are over twenty related articles in the Nanodigest section and Ziana's Digest as well. Do more homework and then lets get back to this.

Brain on a chip. Researchers in California have found a way to keep slices of living brain alive for weeks, which could soon become a powerful tool for testing new drugs. The mini-brain consists of a glass chip containing tens of thousands of interconnected living brain cells, taken from rats or mice. (Eurekalert 10/16/02)
http://www.eurekaler...s-boa101602.php

The Amazing Vanishing Transistor Act. Radical changes are in the offing for transistors as their dimensions shrink to a few tens of nanometers. A decade from now you won't recognize a transistor even if it's walking toward you up the street, assuming you could see it, of course. The gate length-the marker for gauging how small that CMOS transistor is-will be roughly one-fifth the size of the smallest in production today, only 10 nm instead of today's 50 nm. To get to that size and ensure that the transistor still operates will require many changes:....(IEEE Spectrum Online 10/18/02)
http://www.spectrum....oct02/nano.html

IBM builds circuit with carbon monoxide modules. The smallest circuit yet
could mean big advances for processing power Just as a falling apple spurred Isaac Newton's discovery of gravity, toppling dominoes have inspired researchers to build the world's smallest computer circuits. Scientists at IBM's Almaden Research Centre in San Jose, California, have built and operated working computer circuits at a nanoscale using an innovative approach in which individual molecules stream across an atomic surface like toppling dominoes. (ZDnet10/25/02)
http://c.moreover.co...433760&w=501400
Or read the CNN report at:
http://www.cnn.com/2...reut/index.html

Supercomputer for a day. Thousands of computers across Canada have been interconnected to create a supercomputer that only operated for a day. The 1,360 processor strong supercomputer was used to tackle a problem in computational chemistry that would otherwise take years to
complete... Professor Schaeffer said the supercomputer could be used up to three days of every month, helping Canadian scientists tackle problems in climate prediction, genomics, protein folding and nanotechnology. (BBC
11/6/02)
http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/2400811.stm

Ultra-High-Density Data Storage May Become Practical with Breakthrough in Nanoscale Magnetic Sensors. A simpler and more reliable manufacturing method has allowed two materials researchers to produce nanoscale magnetic sensors that could increase the storage capacity of hard disk drives by a factor of a thousand. Building on results reported last summer, the new sensors are up to 100 times more sensitive than any current alternative technology. Susan Hua and Harsh Deep Chopra, both professors at the State University of New York at Buffalo, report in the February issue of Physical Review B on their latest experiments with nanoscale sensors that produce, at room temperature, unusually large electrical resistance changes in the presence of small magnetic fields. (NSF 1/30/03)
http://www.nsf.gov/o...s/03/pr0316.htm

Rice University Announces Nanotechnology Research Agreement with IBM. CBEN Supercomputer Helps Decipher Quantum Phenomena of Carbon Nanotubes. Rice University today announced a research agreement with IBM that will provide nanotechnology researchers at Rice's Center for Biological and Environmental Nanotechnology (CBEN) with a supercomputer powerful enough to decipher the quantum phenomena of carbon nanotubes and other nanomaterials. CBEN researchers plan to use the supercomputer to find new ways to use nanomaterials to treat and diagnose disease and to clean pollutants from the environment. (Rice University 1/29/03)
http://www.rice.edu/...9_cbenibm.shtml

Chip is 400th the size of grain of salt. A microscopic computer chip so tiny that 400 could fit on a grain of salt will begin to revolutionize
electronics next year, scientists said yesterday. Dr James Ellenbogen, a
physicist at the Mitre Corporation, a research institute based in Virginia,
said a working memory the size of a human cell would be complete by the end of 2004. He told the American Association that it would be "the densest memory ever". "When they introduced the IBM personal computer it came with 16 kilobytes of memory - eight times this," he said. "You would have shrunk the memory of an old IBM PC into the space of about eight human cells. It's awfully small." The memory chip is created from a lattice of minute wires upon which are placed individual molecules capable of storing digital information. Dr Ellenbogen said that by stacking the chips on top of each other it should be possible to store a gigabyte of information on a device the size of a grain of salt.
(Hoover's Online 2/15/03)
http://hoovnews.hoov...NR20030215670.4
_b0310007347792e9
Also: http://www.eurekaler...t-tfo021303.php

Michigan Researchers Achieve Quantum Entanglement Of Three Electrons. The quantum entanglement of three electrons, using an ultrafast optical pulse and a quantum well of a magnetic semiconductor material, has been demonstrated in a laboratory at the University of Michigan, marking another step toward the realization of a practical quantum computer. While several experiments in recent years have succeeded in entangling pairs of particles, few researchers have managed to correlate three or more particles in a predictable fashion. (Science Daily 2/27/03)
http://www.scienceda...30227071834.htm

DNA strings along metal atoms. Researchers from the University of Tokyo and the Institute for Molecular Science in Japan have used DNA to assemble strings of up to five copper ions. The technique could have applications in producing molecular magnets and wires. "One of the most important goals in the field of inorganic chemistry is to control metal arrays spatially and dynamically," Mitsuhiko Shionoya of the University of Tokyo told nanotechweb.org. "DNA shows promise as the provider of a structural basis for the bottom-up fabrication of inorganic and bio-organic molecular devices." (nanotechweb.org 2/21/03)
http://nanotechweb.o...s/news/2/2/10/1

Tiny Computing Machine Fueled By DNA; Device Awarded In Guinness World Record For "Smallest Biological Computing Device". Fifty years after the discovery of the structure of DNA, a new use has been found for this celebrated molecule: fuel for molecular computation systems. The research, conducted by scientists at the Weizmann Institute of Science, will appear in this week's issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA (PNAS). Whether plugged in or battery powered, computers need energy. Around a year ago, Prof. Ehud Shapiro of the Weizmann Institute made international headlines for devising a programmable molecular computing machine composed of enzymes and DNA molecules. Now his team has made the device uniquely frugal: the single DNA molecule that provides the computer with the input data also provides all the necessary fuel. (Science Daily 2/27/03)
http://www.scienceda...30227074409.htm

Nanoelectronics

After this quick overview took longer than I expected I think I will have to do some general housecleaning myself. I am still looking for the "original Article" about IBM's accounced project, AND where ever teh other's put Ziana Astralos's digests. Anyway the above articels should get you started and provide some links.

Why don't you take over this research Jay and begin filling a CIRA thread on Quantum Computer development. Please :)

Edited by Lazarus Long, 04 April 2003 - 07:52 PM.

#17 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 07:33 PM

No need to get all teachery on me. I know a lot, but am not an omnipotent oracle. All I needed was a searchterm.

#18 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 07:55 PM

No need to get all teachery on me. I know a lot, but am not an omnipotent oracle. All I needed was a searchterm.

Well excuse me... After all it is my job. Be careful what you wish for. It isn't the answer that is of the most importance to a computer, it is how we phrase the question, sorry if I got all "teachery" it's a habit.

#19 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:07 PM

No biggy. It's just that you mentioned the word 'homework' twice. :)

I know what to look for now, and I'm doing it as well. So thank for the searchterms.

#20 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:08 PM

I see you've put some extra links in your previous post.

Thanks again.

#21 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 08:46 PM

More links and the original article and mention (between lines) :)

New York Times : Many Tools Of Big Brother Are Up And Running
http://www.nytimes.c...agewanted=print

http://www.pcmag.com...,a=29842,00.asp

Discover : Future Tech - Thinking Machines
http://www.discover....2/feattech.html

New York Times : Human Or Computer? Take This Test
http://www.nytimes.c...agewanted=print

EE Times : Quantum Laser Turns Electron Wave Into Memory
http://www.eetimes.c...EG20000831S0019

Fastest Computer Spawns High-Tech Race
By Natalie Obiko Pearson
Associated Press
posted: 12:30 pm ET
17 December 2002

YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) -- It's a machine so fast it performs more computations per second than there are stars in our galaxy. It's so large it's housed in a building the size of an aircraft hangar.

Running 35.6 trillion calculations per second, the Earth Simulator is the fastest supercomputer in the world, almost five times faster than the next best one and as fast as the top 5 U.S. supercomputers combined.

For the Japanese scientists using the $350 million computer, it means climate research, with its complex simulations and diverse mix of variables, is more accurate than ever before.

For the competition, however, it is a shrill wake-up call. Even the U.S. government admits its March activation signaled an end to American dominance of this high-profile field.

According to the Department of Energy, the Earth Simulator has put American scientists at a 10-100 fold disadvantage in weather studies. And there are much deeper implications.

``The U.S. has lost the lead in climate science research,'' it said in a June report. ``Since computational science contributes to DOE's energy and national security missions, the implications will be widespread and pontentially grave.''

For now, the Earth Simulator is being used to track global sea temperatures, rainfall and crustal movement to predict natural disasters over the next few centuries.

Tucked away in a suburban area just south of Tokyo, the computer's complex has almost 1,900 miles of cable _ enough to stretch from New York to Las Vegas _ roped together under its floors to keep its network running.

Thirty-five million cubic feet of air roar through the building every 10 seconds to keep the monster from overheating.

With its massive horsepower, the computer can model weather at 100 times the resolution of previous simulations, said Tetsuya Sato, director-general of the Earth Simulator Center.

Built by the Tokyo-based NEC Corp., the computer can already predict the path of a typhoon or a volcanic eruption with remarkable precision. Earthquakes are still tough to pinpoint and forecast, but likely epicenters are being identified and their damage mapped out to determine which dams, buildings and highways need reinforcing.

Plug in a 5-percent versus 15-percent cut in carbon dioxide emissions, scroll forward a few centuries and it can show which cities will be submerged as sea levels rise.

The Japanese government is betting the machine's hefty pricetag will more than pay off for the billions of dollars in damage it could help save in mitigating disasters on this quake and eruption-prone archipelago.

But other possibilities abound.

Researchers say a powerful computer like the Earth Simulator could also plot the course of a pandemic like AIDS, calculate the spread of a virus after a bioterrorist attack, speed the discovery of new drugs and save millions in research by simulating the interactions between a chemical and the human body.

``The government doesn't understand how valuable this is,'' Sato lamented.

The Earth Simulator's implications aren't being missed overseas, however.

``Every time there's an increase in factor of speed, you open up the possibility of a new science,'' explained Alan Edelman, professor of Applied Mathematics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Computer Science Laboratory.

Ironically, NEC used an old technology called vector processing to achieve the Earth Simulator's stunning performance. The technology had been largely abandoned by most U.S. manufacturers and supercomputer designers as outdated and too costly.

Spurred on by the challenge from Japan, the United States government is now pouring money into the technology race.

IBM Corp., flush with a $290 million government contract to build two new supercomputers, says it will regain the No. 1 title in 2004 with a 100-teraflop machine that would be nearly three times faster than Earth Simulator.

Seattle-based Cray Inc. has won a $90 million contract to build a supercomputer for nuclear weapons simulations at Sandia National Laboratory, also by 2004. And by 2010, it has taken on a government challenge to create a computer which will be measured in petaflops _ a mindboggling 1,000 trillion calculations per second.

http://www.eetimes.c...EG20021024S0047
Cascading molecules drive IBM's smallest computer

By R. Colin Johnson EE Times
October 25, 2002 (10:48 a.m. EST)

SAN JOSE, Calif. — IBM researchers have created a simple computation engine that's more than 250,000 times smaller than the most advanced silicon circuitry. Called the world's smallest computer, the system relies on a "molecular cascade" that pushes a handful of carbon monoxide molecules across a copper surface to perform digital logic functions.
"Our molecular cascades are still research, but their small size is literally generations smaller than today's silicon circuitry," said Andreas Heinrich, a physicist at IBM's Almaden Research Center here. "Our 3-input sorter implemented in next-generation CMOS technology requires an area of over 50 square microns, but our molecular cascade implementation uses just 200 square nanometers. Even if CMOS density follows Moore's Law for 40 more years, molecular cascades are still going to be smaller."

Heinrich was lead researcher on the project that also included Christopher Lutz, Jay Gupta and Donald Eigler.

Though years away from real-world applications, IBM's molecular cascades demonstrate how all circuitry will eventually be shrunk to nanoscale levels, Heinrich said.

The molecular cascades rely on the natural attraction that the carbon ends of CO molecules have towards copper. On the lattice of a single-crystal copper substrate, CO molecules are positioned in a way that's somewhat like trying to cram tennis balls into an egg carton. IBM has lined up these molecules in a staggered 0.25-nanometer grid. The CO spontaneously hops to adjacent grid sites, nudging one another in a chain reaction that performs a preset calculation.

Domino calculations

"Imagine two lines of dominoes that curve toward each other, and at their end there is a single domino that can be toppled by either line — that's an OR gate," Heinrich said. "Your input is either a nudge to topple the first one in a given line of dominoes, or a zero is no nudge."

By placing CO molecules on a 0.25-nm grid of crystalline copper, IBM set up logical calculations in domino code. A scanning tunneling microscope (STM) was used to push a naturally occurring grid of CO molecules atop copper into a preset pattern needed to perform a given calculation. Then the STM supplied the "input" to the domino-coded circuit by manually nudging the first molecule in the cascade.

So far, the molecular cascades have a perfect operational record, Heinrich said.

"We have seen over 10,000 of these hops and we have never seen an incorrect one," he said.

In fact, it was this incredible reliability of the cascade that first attracted Heinrich to invent the domino code. After researcher Lutz mentioned it to him, Heinrich immediately went out and bought 600 dominoes. The domino code for an OR gate was easy, he said, the AND gate was "exceedingly hard," and he hasn't yet created a NOT gate.

The domino theory has had his laboratory abuzz for months, and the accounting department as well after they saw Heinrich's domino purchase on his expense report.

"I got in trouble with accounting for the dominoes, but it was worth it," he said. "The whole project has been fun for everyone involved. As soon as people grasp the concept, they want to see it work — you really have to see all the animation we have put up on our Web site."

The slow operation of the gates — some required seconds to settle — underscores the fact that the work was part of a research project. "We have made extraordinarily small, albeit exceedingly slow, logic circuits," Heinrich said.

#22 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the info. But most of the links are either:

1. Dead

2. Already read some time ago by yours truly :)

I can't find anything on Ziana's Digest though.

#23 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 05:31 PM

I ran into that as well and found that when the links didn't work the first time they often did when I refreshed the page. I found that quite odd.

Ziana digests are in the "Archives" area under Science & tech News and here is the link:

Tranhumanist Digest

I have also found that is quite difficult to get some of the earlier information on the annoucement about IBM's project as if some of the earlier reports have begun to get wiped out of the Web Memory. Sometimes "tracks" are discernable by getting covered as much as being easy to detect.

I am surprised at this.

Ask MichaelA and the Singularity group about the Quantum Computer too because they are following its development as well. I remember discussing the question of what the software architecture will be for the machine with Michael because we were both concerned that hardware didn't predicate software advancement. In fact software generally is "lagging behind" hardware development considerably.

Edited by Lazarus Long, 05 April 2003 - 05:42 PM.

#24 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 05:57 PM

Here are two more lnks I know work because I just went to the pages.

http://www.research.ibm.com/autonomic/

http://www.almaden.i...es/quantuminfo/

enjoy and I suggest a little data mining of the "Mother Load" is most definitely in order. :))

#25 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:22 AM

Is quantum computing coming sooner than we think?

http://www.techrevie...ard_quantum.asp

They mention the travelling salesman problem, for finding path of least difficulty. Reminds me of the energy minimization for protein folding.

Will the quantum computer they describe be able to outperform existing binary supercomputers in such solving such problems?

Hmm, I guess machines like these might make Grid computing obsolete, eh?

• Lurker

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:48 AM

manofsan, I was considering creating just such a thread on that same article posted by chubtoad.

Reminds me of the energy minimization for protein folding.

Will the quantum computer they describe be able to outperform existing binary supercomputers in such solving such problems?

I wouldn't know.

I am close enough to their office to inquire by phone or possibly visit them in person.

Here is their contact page:
http://www.dwavesys.com/contact.php

D-Wave Systems Inc.
320 - 1985 West Broadway
Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada
V6J 4Y3

PHONE: 604 732-6604
FAX: 604 732-6614

For business inquiries:
busdev@dwavesys.com

For media inquiries:
media@dwavesys.com

For investor inquiries:
investor@dwavesys.com

For scientific and technical inquiries:
technical@dwavesys.com

For all general inquiries:
info@dwavesys.com

Email may suffice.

#27 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:19 PM

(manofsan)
Hmm, I guess machines like these might make Grid computing obsolete, eh?

Or, to suggest a metaphor; step up functionality well past the current limbic level of the Grid to a cerebellum level of consciousness hooked up with its ganglia if (more likely when) it finally goes online.

Why not expect synergy from the two processes?

Not all problem solving requires the higher processing capacity this new hardware offers and it may be able to also delegate aspects of complex problems more efficently so as to focus its computational power on the more difficult ones. Consider it targeted tasking.

I could see one or more of these machines working together in tandem with Grid based computing so as to maximize the efficiency of both and create a Grid level computing power orders of magnitude greater than presently possible.

#28 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:22 PM

Even more significant, as QC technology matures, systems containing hundreds, thousands and even millions of electrons will be able to be modeled by direct, brute force solution of the SE. This means that the fundamental equations of nature will be solvable for all nanoscale systems, with no approximations and no fudge factors. Results of these virtual reality simulations will be indistinguishable from what is seen in the real world, assuming that QM is an accurate picture of nature.

This type of simulation, by direct solution of the fundamental laws of nature, will become the backbone of engineering design in the nanotech regime where quantum mechanics reigns.

I can clearly not even begin to guess
- whether that is generally true (for all problems of this type)
- just how much time and effort hides in the phrase "as QC technology matures"
- how save it is to assume "that QM is an accurate picture of nature", or at least whether it is accurate enough to simulate biological systems in this way.
- how easy they will be to program with biologically relevant questions

But I'm very positive that if these conditions did turn out favorably, then these machines would greatly accelerate the development and implementation human life-extension technology.

#29 manofsan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:34 AM

A new design for an ion-trap chip could allow mass-production for quantum computing:

http://www.techrevie...063,294,p1.html

This would certainly be a powerful technology, not just for quantum cryptography and cryptanalysis, but also for solving problems dealing with quantum systems, such as molecular modeling in drug design, materials design, biomolecular simulation, etc.

Even some types of business operations research problems can be solved much more easily using the quantum computing approach.

#30 spiritus

• 71 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:21 PM

I seen this before, and yes once it's developed it will revoloutionize the computer world.

Virtual reality that in fact appears in all aspects to be real will be part in gaming. Shooters will evolve to the point where every American teenage guy will be a well trained soldier without even joining the army. There will be large padded sections in the basement to turn around, fire, walk forward on step pads, crouch. Gaming will become physically exerting and actually improve health. It would truly rely on how high a gamer could jump, roll, ect.

Needless to say it won't just be sitting infront of a monitor. More space will be required for the multitude of available tasks you will be able to accomplish. Gloves and illusional large keyboards will make it easy to communicate. Windows will become so open it will be called "Outside Windows".

You will have much more harddrive space you will ever need.

And what's more is this is a crucial step into human-computer intergration. I want to become a cyborg. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users