- - - - -

Future Folding for TLM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

I am sad to announce that we have been unable to receive new grant money to support the F@H prize. I suspect the economy is tightening budgets that might have previously been willing to lend support. We still have a little over $300 to give away at the end of this quarter of folding. We have yet to breakdown a prize structure, but it will be similar to previous quarters. Stay tuned.

We have been brainstorming as to future prizes for folders. LEF has indicated it will continue to offer gift certificates and 6 month LEF memberships indefinitely into the future. A couple other things have been mentioned.

A. 1 year free Imminst membership (valued at $20 or $50).
B. A traveling trophy or other gift such as a "Top Folder" t-shirt.
C. (Your suggestion here)
D. (Another great idea here)
E.
F.

The F@H Prize was a HUGE success in 2008 and early 2009. I was personally awed by all the enthusiasm and work of our team members. We vaulted TLM up to nearly 70th position in the world. We got noticed. Life extension folders on TLM whipped quite of few University and computer geek teams on its way up the rankings. Let us find a way to keep the team chugging along into the future.

#2 Anthony

• Guest, F@H
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:38 PM

I am sad to announce that we have been unable to receive new grant money to support the F@H prize. I suspect the economy is tightening budgets that might have previously been willing to lend support. We still have a little over $300 to give away at the end of this quarter of folding. We have yet to breakdown a prize structure, but it will be similar to previous quarters. Stay tuned.

We have been brainstorming as to future prizes for folders. LEF has indicated it will continue to offer gift certificates and 6 month LEF memberships indefinitely into the future. A couple other things have been mentioned.

A. 1 year free Imminst membership (valued at $20 or $50).
B. A traveling trophy or other gift such as a "Top Folder" t-shirt.
C. (Your suggestion here)
D. (Another great idea here)
E.
F.

How many t-shirts do you plan to give out? I think the t-shirt idea (if you give enough of them out) could work as both a low cost incentive and as a low cost tool for publicizing the orginization and meme.

Edited by Anthony, 29 June 2009 - 11:40 PM.

#3 ntenhue

• Guest, F@H
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

A and B are both very good prize ideas. For the T-Shirt maybe collaboration with the Art Team to create a decent design would be something worth thinking about!
I recently purchased a small render farm so hopefully I'll be folding like mad in the next few months :)

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

Traveling trophy sounds interesting. It could travel to conferences and stuff as a novelty too. Maybe plaques. Medallions would be awsome. Anthony, if we can order t shirts bulk cheap enough then maybe it would be a good idea to give away quite a few of them. We could maybe also hold a dedicated drive, and get people to donate for fah prizes.

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

So, what do you all think of a dedicated fund drive for this?

Also, I just realized, one of the best prizes seems to be folding rigs and parts, ImmInst merchandise as small prizes, and then also some cash prizes in some top prizes.

If we are pretty much just paying our top folders, then, does anybody know if just using the fah money to buy rigs would help produce as much? I mean for example, instead of giving out $900 in prizes, just for the sake of numbers comparison here, would buying $900 worth of rigs for the team help it just as much or more?

#6 dnamechanic

• Life Member
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:39 PM

So, what do you all think of a dedicated fund drive for this? ...

Seems like anything that raises money for prizes could be helpful.

In-line quoting which allows a directed response seems (at present time) to be dysfunctional.

So, no more quotes in this post.

Pay the winners in cash.

Whatever the prize amounts, it will likely only offset only a portion of the top folder's costs.

FAH folders know better than anyone else what kind of hardware they need, and likely they know where the best deals are found.

There are huge variations in the cost of parts, depending on where and when they are purchased. Most top folders are savvy as to where and how to obtain hardware that yields high production for FAH.

Top folders do not just need "rigs".

Rigs, of sufficient numbers to produce top PPD for the TLM team, could consume multiple KiloWatts of electricity and produce copious amounts of heat (in computers virtually all input electrical energy is converted to heat). Electricity consumption and heat considerations are generally the limiting factors for top folders. Top folders have to carefully choose components and purchase or build special rigs; "folding-machines".

As some may suspect, especially those that have at least folded a few work units, optimal folding hardware is generally carefully chosen by the folder(s).

Note: Certain desirable folding hardware could be good prizes. Some organizations offer items such as NVIDIA GPUs and/or discounts to purchase such items. If a source were available, items such as these could be a good addition to cash prizes.

Edited by dnamechanic, 04 August 2009 - 10:52 PM.

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

Just to let everyone know. Three directors (Shepard, Lazarus, and Brokenportal) have committed $200 a piece to be spent on F@H prize awards. $600 total. We will dispense this prize money at the end of this quarter of folding (September 30th) and at the end of the next quarter (December 31st).

Prize awards as follows:

1st: $100
2nd: $65
3rd: $35
4th: $20
5th-12th: $10

No randomly drawn 13th prize.

#8 Vgamer1

• Guest, F@H
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

I want to see a "top folder" shirt.

It could be pretty boss if we got the art team to work on it.

Could say like "I fold proteins like nobody's business" and have a picture of a dude "folding" a protein like it's his workout or something. Just a random thought. I like the prospect of a cool t-shirt like that without the word "immortality" on it....

#9 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:16 PM

Just to let everyone know. Three directors (Shepard, Lazarus, and Brokenportal) have committed $200 a piece to be spent on F@H prize awards. $600 total. We will dispense this prize money at the end of this quarter of folding (September 30th) and at the end of the next quarter (December 31st).

Prize awards as follows:

1st: $100
2nd: $65
3rd: $35
4th: $20
5th-12th: $10

No randomly drawn 13th prize.

Member quintin3265 has generously donated his $10 prize for the recently completed quarter toward a 13th randomly drawn prize for the final quarter of competition for this year. Thanks a bunch!

#10 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

And of course a big thanks to the Life Extension Foundation for continued support of the team with gift certificates! Don't be shy, feel free to send them a note of thanks here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users