- - - - -

Polls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:27 PM

on certain polls it says "you have already voted on this poll" even though I DEFINETLY have not done so?

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 03:12 PM

Hmm, not sure what's going on there... anyone else have this problem?

#3 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 26 October 2002 - 04:08 PM

I ran into this before too, it comes from using the "Null Vote" option. It isn't treated as "I don't to vote now", it is treated as" I don't want to vote at all". There is no way to view results without casting a vote.

If you want that option to be available you will have to program it in. In order to view results you cast a "Null Vote" there is no way as it is currently configured to "Reserve your Vote" till later and review how the polling is progressing. In part this is what makes the polling process "scientific" you may not find it so easy to remove this aspect, but it should be possible . What I have done is just not vote for a long time but also live in ignorance of the trends, when I wanted to think about for a while. It is another example of where your FAQ's require a little clarification.

#4 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 26 October 2002 - 04:12 PM

By the way it is a great example of how most people take semantic meaning for granted and reap unintended results.

Read the option carefully, That is why I call it a "NULL VOTE" it is equivalent to "Voting to Abstain" it just doesn't appear that way at first glance. Language isn't based upon what you mean to say, it is based upon what you say means to others.

BTW BJ a smalll suggestion on a separate topic, could we get some more menu options at the bottom of the page? For example if we could get Active topics & PM's we could hit that button afer reading the posts without having to scroll all the way to the top again. This is the same as forum jump which requires a more specific choice, but perhaps they could be added to that option.

#5 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 06:17 PM

ran into this before too, it comes from using the "Null Vote" option.

No. I am very certain that I did not NULL VOTE on a specific poll. -Strange

There is no way to view results without casting a vote.

All you have to do is not to login (or log out) and view the vote as a Guest [ph34r]

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 10:29 PM

Something's up with the cookies here.. Me checks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users