- - - - -

Resveratrol Side Effects

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Marc P

• 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

Hello everyone,
I am new to the resveratrol world and I need some help.I am currently taking a product called Extra Stenghth Resveratrol from Whole Health.I took it for a month without any side effects and now it seems that I am having Diareah and stomach issues.I want to send the unused bottles back for a fefund and I am now looking at other resveratrol product but I do not know what to get.I really do not want to spend anymore that 30.00 a month for this product but it does not seem that I would have any luck with that price range.Does anyone on here have any advice for me ?I have looked at the price watch list on here and I am confused on a few things.The powder form seems to be the best price wise but when I go to the links it seems that the dosage is more than the chart recomends which brings the price back up to an unacceptable level.
I am 200 lbs male 45 years old.
Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks
Marc P

#2 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Emodin is usually responsible for gastric side effects/diarrhea. Strange for it to kick in after a month. Anyway, i've read buccal administration leads to best plasma levels (i.e. keep in mouth for a few minutes, then rinse).

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Marc P

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

Emodin is usually responsible for gastric side effects/diarrhea. Strange for it to kick in after a month. Anyway, i've read buccal administration leads to best plasma levels (i.e. keep in mouth for a few minutes, then rinse).

I understood the Emodin but I had no friggin Idea what you were talking about with the plasma crap.???????????????

#4 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

Wikipedia:

The most efficient way of administering resveratrol in humans appears to be buccal delivery, that is without swallowing, by direct absorption through the inside of the mouth. When one mg of resveratrol in 50 mL solution was retained in the mouth for one min before swallowing, 37 ng/ml of free resveratrol were measured in plasma two minutes later. This level of unchanged resveratrol in blood can only be achieved with 250 mg of resveratrol taken in a pill form.

#5 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

Wikipedia:

except you are limited by buccal surface area. So though buccal is most efficient for small amounts, not so for large amounts; you will do as well swallowing for higher doses.

#6 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

Plasma is the clear part of your blood, after the lab "strains" out the red and white cells etc. with a centrifuge. Scientists experimenting with resveratrol and any other supplement or medication want to know how much of it is actually getting into your cells where it can do some good. But with current technology it's not easy to measure that, whereas it's easy to measure how much of the stuff you have in your blood plasma. Same with naturally produced substances that you can have too much of or too little of. So, for example, I just got the amount of homocysteine and cholesterol measured, and the lab report says "homocysteine, plasma" and "cholesterol, serum". ("Blood serum is blood plasma without fibrinogen or the other clotting factors " -- Wikipedia).

So by saying "plasma levels", okok is carefully explaining what's actually been measured in experiments. It's short for "raises the blood plasma level of resveratrol in human test subjects". Hopefully, that means it gets into the cells better and produces more mitochondria and all that, and hopefully that makes you live longer, what what we actually know is that if you draw a test subject's blood and measure resveratrol in the straw-colored part, more of it got that far with buccal administration (swishing around in the mouth).

You're taking a capsule, right? To be absolutely clear, it's the powder inside the capsule, not the whole capsule, that needs to be swished around if it's going to get absorbed right through the mouth ("buccal" delivery). If you start doing it routinely, buying capsules to open them would be a waste of money, so I suggest taking a powder. See the Resveratrol Price Watch topic's spreadsheet.

I can't find the product you're talking about with a web search, but since it's giving you diarrhea I'm guessing it's 50% resveratrol despite the Extra Strength label -- brown powder, not white powder, inside. Maybe that's ok if it's grape seed powder, but I've heard on another topic that 50% resveratrol, 50% knotweed tastes awful. (Knotweed is what they usually use because it starts out with more resveratrol than grapes, so it's easier to concentrate.) No one would even want to choke it down, apparently, let alone swish it around. So I think okok means that you should try buccal delivery with 98% or 99% powder, not open up a capsule that has enough plant impurities to give you diarrhea and swish it in your mouth.

#7 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

Well, depending on where you live, 50% extracts might be easier to get/ more cost effective. I take knotweed extract, and for me taste is absolutely no issue. And, being ignorant of buccal emodin absorption, its gastric effects almost certainly depend on ingestion.

#8 santakrooz

• 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:22 AM

I can't find the product you're talking about with a web search, but since it's giving you diarrhea I'm guessing it's 50% resveratrol despite the Extra Strength label -- brown powder, not white powder, inside. Maybe that's ok if it's grape seed powder, but I've heard on another topic that 50% resveratrol, 50% knotweed tastes awful.

Though WH "implies" its a 99% extract, WholeHealth Extra Strength 325mg is a 50% extract

label reads
Extra Strength Resveratrol, 325mg, 30 capsules:
Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings per container: 30
Trans-Resveratrol (from Polygonum cuspidatum [Japanese Knotweed] Root Extract) 325 mg †%
other ingredients: Cellulose (plant fiber), magnesium stearate (vegetable source) and silicon dioxide.

they imply that it's a 325mg capsule with 325mg of TRes but if you look at their lab essay http://www.wholeheal...pdf/ResvLab.pdf it's based on 650mg capsule.

#9 BBB

• 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:19 AM

for Marc P;
You probably already know that you should stay with 98% or better resveratrol. Many sellers sell resveratrol that is called "extra-strength", then when you ask them they say... "oh, yes our rsv is excellent, its 50%"
Needless to say, this is not a good thing. Anything less than 90% usually has greater than 3% natural emodin.....which could cause diarea.
My suggestion is to try Swanson Vitamins for now. They claim (when asked) they are using 99% on there 2 top products.
Another very cool company I heard about from a good friend is "Resveratrol Solutions."
Unfortunatly they do not have there website up as yet and they are working on some very cool and reasonable cost pure rsv products.

good luck

#10 Marc P

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

Well I guess I am one of the very few who cannot take this product.Its been 3 days on the micronized powder and I am having stomach issues and diareah again.I guess ill move on to something else for my health.Thanks for all your input.I will finish the week to make sure it doesnt go away on its own but after that ,I am done.
Thx Marc

#11 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hi Marc P,

this is very rare, as I have had only a few people sensitive enough not to be able to use micronized powder. Basically our stats show about 0.46% of folks (yes, less than 1%) are sensitive to micronized resveratrol in the fashion you speak of.

Since you are sharing Marc:

- Can you let us know how much you were taking?
- How and with what you were mixing it with.
- Do you suffer from an illness?
- Do you take medications?
- Any other items that you maybe taking?

The folks I have spoken with that had an issue to sensitivity, typically used more than one scoop, where referred to us by a doctor, and where taking some meds for an illness.

thanks
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 27 July 2009 - 12:46 AM.

#12 Marc P

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hi Marc P,

this is very rare, as I have had only a few people sensitive enough not to be able to use micronized powder. Basically our stats show about 0.46% of folks (yes, less than 1%) are sensitive to micronized resveratrol in the fashion you speak of.

Since you are sharing Marc:

- Can you let us know how much you were taking?
- How and with what you were mixing it with.
- Do you suffer from an illness?
- Do you take medications?
- Any other items that you maybe taking?

The folks I have spoken with that had an issue to sensitivity, typically used more than one scoop, refferred to us by a doctor, and where taking some meds for an illness.

thanks
A

I am not taking any medications.I have no illness at all.The only other thing I am taking is the Whey Protein shake from GNC.I am 45 year old male,Weight:210 lbs .I am taking 300 mg powder in the AM with my shake.I am using 2%milk with the shake.I eat a healthy low carb diet.I do drink alcohol on the weekend and rarely during the week.
When I first started taking resveratrol,I was taking 375 mg capsules from Whole Health.I started feeling good,even euphoric.I had no issues for a whole month and then I started getting the stomach rumblings and diareah.I started doing a little research and found that people were having issues from the emodin in the 50% pure products but all of them had problems right away.It took me one month to have problems(this was rare also}.I stopped taking the capsules for about 3 days and the problems went away.I started taking the capsules again and the diareah returned within 2 days.I actually started taking resveratrol befor the whole health product about one month before that.They were pill form that I got at GNC That had only 40 MG in it.I had no problems with that either.

I thought it was the emodin giving me the problems but I am starting to think that it is the resveratrol itself.I will keep taking it to see if my body adjusts but if it gets to uncomfortable I will stop.I am really disapointed because I have read some good things aout the health benefits of this product.
Hope that this enough info.
Thx Marc P

#13 MissM

• 22 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:58 PM

Marc, are you taking any otc pain meds? I was taking Advil, and had terrible GI issues. I thought it was the Res, but when I quit taking Advil, the GI issues stopped. If I would quit the Res, the issues stopped also. I think there is some kind of interaction between the two. I also had GI issues with Res and red wine combined.

I am not taking any medications.I have no illness at all.The only other thing I am taking is the Whey Protein shake from GNC.I am 45 year old male,Weight:210 lbs .I am taking 300 mg powder in the AM with my shake.I am using 2%milk with the shake.I eat a healthy low carb diet.I do drink alcohol on the weekend and rarely during the week.
When I first started taking resveratrol,I was taking 375 mg capsules from Whole Health.I started feeling good,even euphoric.I had no issues for a whole month and then I started getting the stomach rumblings and diareah.I started doing a little research and found that people were having issues from the emodin in the 50% pure products but all of them had problems right away.It took me one month to have problems(this was rare also}.I stopped taking the capsules for about 3 days and the problems went away.I started taking the capsules again and the diareah returned within 2 days.I actually started taking resveratrol befor the whole health product about one month before that.They were pill form that I got at GNC That had only 40 MG in it.I had no problems with that either.

I thought it was the emodin giving me the problems but I am starting to think that it is the resveratrol itself.I will keep taking it to see if my body adjusts but if it gets to uncomfortable I will stop.I am really disapointed because I have read some good things aout the health benefits of this product.
Hope that this enough info.
Thx Marc P

#14 Marc P

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

Marc, are you taking any otc pain meds? I was taking Advil, and had terrible GI issues. I thought it was the Res, but when I quit taking Advil, the GI issues stopped. If I would quit the Res, the issues stopped also. I think there is some kind of interaction between the two. I also had GI issues with Res and red wine combined.

I dont take anything.I hate taking any type of medicines unless I am really in pain.

#15 Marc P

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

Hello everyone,
I am having the same problems with the revgenetics micronized powder that I had with the Whole Health product.The only differance is that I got a refund on the Whole Health bottles.So now I am out 80.00 bucks on powder that gives me the runs.If anyone out there would like about 24 grams of powder for half price ,give me a shout.
Marc

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:36 AM

I am having the same problems with the revgenetics micronized powder that I had with the Whole Health product.The only differance is that I got a refund on the Whole Health bottles.So now I am out 80.00 bucks on powder that gives me the runs.

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried adjusting the dose downward? The micronized resveratrol is absorbed better than regular resveratrol, so you actually shouldn't need as much. Do you have a good way to tell how much you are taking, like a milligram scale?

#17 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

Resveratrol stimulates cyclic AMP-dependent chloride secretion in the intestines. This is the same effect cholera has, though less severe. It causes diarrhea. Some people are more sensitive than others. What niner said, using a lower dose, may overcome the problem. I wouls in your position, stop use until the situation returned to normal, then see if half the dose were tolerable. You can titrate the dose to determine your sensitivity.

The chemopreventive agent resveratrol stimulates cyclic AMP-dependent chloride secretion in vitro.
Blumenstein I, Keserü B, Wolter F, Stein J. PMID 16061885

You can also use a re-hydration solutin that can reverse the symptoms to some degree. Some people have reported good results witht he following:

Chloride secretion is a characteristic of Cholora. Cholera symptoms are caused by a bacterial induced electrolyte imbalance, causing intestinal cells to pump out excessive chloride resulting in often fatal diarrhea. A low-tech treatment for cholera was discovered in India 40 years ago. There are many variants, but all use oral administration of weak electrolyte solutions to reverse the electrolyte imbalance or to replace lost fluids. A weak sugar and/or salt solution changes the electrolyte balance at the cell membrane, and counters the osmotic imbalance that causes water and chloride to be pumped out of the intestinal cells into the cell membrane. (Note: some sources state these solutions only replace electrolytes, and do not stop diarrhea, and some further state that the addition of carbohydrates to the broth can stop or slow diarrhea.)

The formula for a rehydration solution is 1 tsp salt + 8 tsp sugar in 1 litre of water. Some sources state that half cup of orange juice or half of a mashed banana (carohydrates) can be added to each liter both to add potassium and to improve taste and decrease diarrhea. A smaller amount can be made: 1 cup or 250 ml water, 1/4 tsp salt and two tsp of sugar. The proportions are important. Too strong a solution doesn't work, too weak is ineffective.

#18 Marc P

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

Resveratrol stimulates cyclic AMP-dependent chloride secretion in the intestines. This is the same effect cholera has, though less severe. It causes diarrhea. Some people are more sensitive than others. What niner said, using a lower dose, may overcome the problem. I wouls in your position, stop use until the situation returned to normal, then see if half the dose were tolerable. You can titrate the dose to determine your sensitivity.

The chemopreventive agent resveratrol stimulates cyclic AMP-dependent chloride secretion in vitro.

You can also use a re-hydration solutin that can reverse the symptoms to some degree. Some people have reported good results witht he following:

Chloride secretion is a characteristic of Cholora. Cholera symptoms are caused by a bacterial induced electrolyte imbalance, causing intestinal cells to pump out excessive chloride resulting in often fatal diarrhea. A low-tech treatment for cholera was discovered in India 40 years ago. There are many variants, but all use oral administration of weak electrolyte solutions to reverse the electrolyte imbalance or to replace lost fluids. A weak sugar and/or salt solution changes the electrolyte balance at the cell membrane, and counters the osmotic imbalance that causes water and chloride to be pumped out of the intestinal cells into the cell membrane. (Note: some sources state these solutions only replace electrolytes, and do not stop diarrhea, and some further state that the addition of carbohydrates to the broth can stop or slow diarrhea.)

The formula for a rehydration solution is 1 tsp salt + 8 tsp sugar in 1 litre of water. Some sources state that half cup of orange juice or half of a mashed banana (carohydrates) can be added to each liter both to add potassium and to improve taste and decrease diarrhea. A smaller amount can be made: 1 cup or 250 ml water, 1/4 tsp salt and two tsp of sugar. The proportions are important. Too strong a solution doesn't work, too weak is ineffective.

Or I could just stop taking it.

#19 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

Or I could just stop taking it.

For sure. Like niner said.

#20 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

The only way to find out if its a transient side is to keep taking it, maybe reduce your dose or take it every other day to see if that affects bowel tolerance. It could be unrelated to Resveratrol, sometimes blender drinks will cause the runs, if you're using a blender stop and see if that helps.

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:48 AM

sometimes blender drinks will cause the runs, if you're using a blender stop and see if that helps.

Wow, I hadn't considered this. What if a blender had a nasty bacterial growth down in its nooks and crannies? Seems entirely possible, particularly with some blender designs that are hard to clean. Bleach is your friend... So are autoclaves.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

Perhaps that was an academic observation. I think that the changes in type of Resveratrol used would have stopped the irritation. JMO I hope it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users