Photo
- - - - -

My Nootropic Results: Week 2 (Edited)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rasinon

• 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 05:21 PM

Two weeks ago I started taking nootropics to addresse the persistant mental sluggishness that I had been experiencing for the previous 6 months. I thought I'd share my results in case anyone was interested.

Multivitamin
Nootropics:
Hydergine: 4.5 mg (2 x 2.25 mg)
Piracetam: Week 1: 3.2 g (2 x 1.6g), Week 2: 4.8 g (2 x 2.4 g)
A-GPC: ~ 450 mg (2 x 225 mg)
Vinpocetine: ~30 mg (2 x 15 mg)
Huperzine-A: ~150 mcg (2 x 75 mcg)

Week 1 results:

I still felt mentally foggy, like I had a wet blanket wrapped around my brain. The only odd thing I noticed was the ability to spontaneously recall childhood memories in graphic detail.

Week 2 results:

Wow! For the first time in months my mind is energised and resonsive. I've been teaching myself some aspects of EM & RF design at work and this week I found myself tearing through the documents. Keep in mind that these are very dry military standards documents. I also felt emotially better but this was likely due to the fact that I could finally get some real work done.

Any thoughts on my nootropics regimen? I'm thinking of cutting out the Hydergine once I run out due to the cost.

If anyone is interested I will post my results in another two weeks or so.

Edited by rasinon, 25 February 2004 - 09:30 PM.

#2 scifiwriter

• 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 05:29 PM

Dear Rasinon and all readers,
Thank you so very much for sharing your experiences.
You are taking a lot more Piracetam than I have ever taken.
And I've never tried Hydergine.
Have you tried the combination of Phosphatydil Serine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine?
I think it really adds something nice. Just don't try it before bedtime.
I've been taking those two, plus Aniracetam, plus Pyritinol, when I have a big day of work ahead and want to "tear through documents." Without nootrops, and firmly in "middle age" my brain is otherwise very wet blankety.
SFW
I don't write sci-fi either, just liked the name, or the idea of it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rasinon

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 05:42 PM

SFW,

Sorry, I haven't tried any of those. I've heard good things about the Pyritinol and Aniracetam but I think that both are on the expensive side (at least in the US). I will have to look into the other two.

Update: I just purchased some Acetyl-L-Carnitine, along with some picamillon and L-Tyrosine. I will let you know how they work once I've tried them out for a few weeks.

As far as the amount of Piracetam goes I read that it is preferable to start with an "attack dose" for the first few weeks to a month in order to achieve results faster. This dose is typically several times that recomended for extended use. My "attack dose" is actually small compared to some I've read about. Piracetam is very non-toxic and you could easily take 5x what I'm taking with no adverse reactions. Hope this helps.

Edited by rasinon, 24 February 2004 - 09:21 PM.

#4 scifiwriter

• 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 10:00 PM

Yes!
Piracetam @ 3.2/day is excellent.

#5 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:03 PM

Interesting...I also experienced the spontaneous recall of childhood memories that you mentioned (while taking Piracetam and DMAE). This is encouraging to me because that sort of effect is not something I necessarily anticipated when I decided to try nootropics. As a self described "hard-core skeptic" I am highly aware of the placebo effect and have vowed not to let it trick me. I don't want to spend my hard-earned money on expensive placebos! An unanticipated effect experienced by two individuals is a good sign that piracetam, etc., might actually be "doing something".

I've actually been out of piracetam for about 2 weeks now...I made an order from unique nutrition on Feb. 16 and I have not received it yet. :( I have found that my concentration abilities have decreased somewhat...I have attention deficit disorder and though I take Ritalin for this, it has imperfect (but still appreciated!) symptom control.

#6 anjatalker

• 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 08:43 PM

Are you saying that your concentration abilities have naturally decreased or that they have decreased after starting to take the nootropics?

#7 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:39 PM

I'm saying that I experienced an unprecedented and unexpected increase in my concentration abilities after taking nootropics for several weeks. I'd never experienced anything quite like it before. Now I am going back to "normal" since my supply ran out. I wish there was a way to just "enhance" my brain permanently!

#8 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2004 - 04:22 AM

One of the things about nootropics that I definitely know is not placebo effect is the improvement of short to medium term memory. For instance, committing a phone number to memory and then forgetting it 10 minutes later -- that never happens to me anymore.

Like wise, my ability to remember further into opening chess variations has improved. I don't see how this could be placebo effect... ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 staz

• 58 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 01:57 PM

true, i've used noots with great success in combination with marijuana to totally eliminate the otherwise so annoying side effect of greatly impaired short term memory (this has been successful with both picamilon & huperzine a). If I could afford it, I'd use them permanently, but because of low budget I can't, so atleast I can use them to tamper with things such as above described and protect my brain from damage and wearing in times of stress and extra load.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users