• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Scoreboard = HB 2637 - AZ HHC Vote Positions

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 08:23 PM

Thr Feb 26: The Bill Passed 11 Yes / 1 Absent
-scroll down for more

Arizona legislation is being considered that could limit Alcor's effectiveness as a cryonics facility. A hearing has been scheduled for Thursday, Feb 26 at 9:00 am concerning the bill - HB 2637.

ImmInst members who have received email replies from any of the twelve(12) House Health Committee (HHC) members are encouraged to post such email exchanges below to help us gauge support and opposition to the bill.

Positions Determined of HHC Thus Far:

Yes Votes - Supporting HB 2637: Total = 1 confirmed
--------------------------------
YES - District 9 - Vice-Chair - Bob Stump
Fax 602-417-3109, phone 602-926-5413, email bstump@azleg.state.az.us
(confirmation: sponsor of bill)

No Votes - Against HB 2637: Total = 2 confirmed
--------------------------------
Republican:
NO - District 12 - Bill Arnold
Fax 602-417-3012, phone 602-926-5894, email barnold@azleg.state.az.us
(confirmation email: "I can't support Rep. Stump's Bill")

Democrats:
NO - District 29 - Linda Lopez
Fax 602-417-3029, phone 602-926-4089, email llopez@azleg.state.az.us-
(confirmation email: "I am opposing this bill")

NO(unconfirmed) District 23 - Cheryl Chase
Fax 602-417-3123, phone 602-926-5030, email cchase@azleg.state.az.us

NO(unconfirmed) District 27 - Phil Lopes
Fax 602-417-3127, phone 602-926-3278, email plopes@azleg.state.az.us

NO(unconfirmed) District 28 - David Bradley
Fax 602-417-3028, phone 602-926-3300, email dbradley@azleg.state.az.us

Positions Net Yet Determined of HHC:

Republicans

District 11 - Chair - Deb Gullett
Fax 602-417-3011, phone 602-926-5766, email dgullett@azleg.state.az.us

District 9 - Philip J. Hanson
Fax 602-417-3009, phone 602-926-3255, email phanson@azleg.state.az.us

District 5 - Bill Konopnicki
Fax 602-417-3105, phone 602-926-5409, email bkonopni@azleg.state.az.us

District 8 - Colette Rosati
Fax 602-417-3108, phone 602-926-5169, email crosati@azleg.state.az.us

District 17 - Mark Thompson
Fax 602-417-3117, phone 602-926-4225, email mthompso@azleg.state.az.us

District 21 - Warde Nichols
Fax 602-417-3021, phone 602-926-5168, email wnichols@azleg.state.az.us

Suggested Reading:

ImmInst's Alcor Action Alert Update Forum Topic
Reason - Regulating the Biggest Chill
Wowk - How media sensationalism catalyzed an assault on individual rights in Arizona

#2 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 09:36 PM

The bill has 50 co-sponsors, I am not pusuaded the the support is a mile wide and an inch deep. ......and even if it is, one 1 inch vote for, is just as good as a deeply held vote.

#3 phenom

• 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 09:00 PM

Lopez told me that she believed that all the dems and 3 Repubs would vote no and 6 will be enough to defeat. Close call.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:09 PM

We live in interesting times, but not nearly as interesting as it's going to get. - Phenom

Love your quote.

#5 john_mccluskey

• 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:10 AM

I have had an interesting email dialog with Representative Robert Stump, from the Arizona State Legislature, regarding his recently introduced bill HB2637, which gives regulatory authority for storage of human remains (over 5 years) to the state funeral board. First, I must admit to perhaps sticking my nose into an affair that is not entirely my business. Secondly, I will also stipulate that I do not have all the information about the exact situation in Arizona, and remain a distant, perhaps poorly informed, observer of what is going on. Still, I feel I should share this information in order to promote discussion about the situation in North America. I only hope that I have not made any factual errors.

On Feb 22, I sent this:
---------------------------------------------------------
Dear Representative Stump,

I'm sure your mailbox is overflowing with comments, complaints, or even protests over HB2637. I have read it myself, in a cursory fashion, and understand the eventual result, but perhaps not the intent.

I'm a 2nd generation Arizonian.. My father was born in Tuscon in 1929, I was born in Idaho in 1958, and now I live in Canada. It has been in my mind for some years to move to Arizona, to enjoy the fine weather, and to also be near Alcor in Scottsdale. I am not an Alcor member. I have considered it, and indeed, am still considering it. The technology involved in cryopreservation is far from proven, but I have been watching and following their efforts to improve the cryopreservation process. If at some point, it seems to offer a reasonable level of effectiveness at preserving information in a human brain, then I will probably sign up for their services. In my personal judgement, the probable cost/benefit ratio that will make it worthwhile has not yet been reached. But I expect that eventually, it will.

But HB2637 may prevent or delay that point. In all probability, passage of HB2637 will just force the relocation of Alcor to a nearby state, such as Nevada or New Mexico. This will be expensive, and will risk damage to the frozen remains already in storage. I will not label them as "patients" as many cryonicists do, since this may well be a gross exaggeration of the potential possibilities. But it seems reasonable to me, that with advances in technology, someday the term may be well applied.

If someday Alcor succeeds in their quest, it would be a shame if the history of Alcor includes an unhappy chapter where they were chased from Arizona by legislative action. You would not be remembered kindly by history, in this event.

I think that the directors of Alcor are amenable to regulatory oversight, as long as it does not compromise their goals. Indeed, I would feel better if the financial aspects of the trusts at Alcor were governed more transparently, with regulatory inspection to prevent financial mismanagement.
Given the costs of the services at Alcor, a little government review to prevent fraud, theft, or misapplication of funds wouldn't be a bad thing.

Why not talk to them?
Sincerely
John McCluskey
-----------------------------------------------------
The very next day, while reading Rick Potvins Cryonet Cafe, I read Rep. Stump's reply to Mike Latorra, where he refutes some of the assertions about HB2637, and in particular disputes the assertion that Alcor had been left out of the loop in the formation of the bill.
http://www.network54...geid=1077535175

This to me was crucial, since Alcor asserts "The sunrise process was not followed, and Alcor was not notified of the stakeholder meetings even though we are the target for which the proposed legislation was drafted". It's clear that their is a difference of opinion here on the timeline and notifications, but in any event, after reading a couple more posts on the Cryonet Cafe from Alcor members who are not happy with Alcor ( http://www.network54...geid=1077556547 and Rick's reply to it), I simply changed my mind about HB2637. Or rather, I came to the conclusion that Alcor needed a little regulation, because the Ted Williams affair was just a complete f*ckup. So I wrote a retraction to Rep. Stump.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Rep. Stump,

Late on Sunday I sent you an email, basically deploring the existence of HB2637. Today, after reading a post of an email reply you sent to Mike Latorra, I have reversed my position. I now support HB2637.

I was somehow led to believe that Alcor had been taken by surprise by HB2637, and had not participated in the stakeholder meetings. Furthermore, evidence of legislative intent is found in the Arizona Capital Times on Sept 29, 2003.

Like in Michigan, New York, and Florida, cryonics organizations must be given governmental oversight at some level to prevent such problems such as the infamous Ted Williams affair. I do not think that mutilation of the body is an issue (far worse occurs at any medical school, I am sure), but the issue of consent in Mr. Williams case seems to be in doubt. As I recall, Mr. Williams had not signed the standard consent forms, but only affixed his signature to a scrap of paper containing a vague intention. The issue of boils down to this: Who has the right to decide on cryonics preservation? Family members? The person being preserved? The intentions of the deceased must be crystal clear, I think, perhaps even to the point that they must be publicly available.

I think that HB2637 could be improved, since as it is written now, there seems to be no guarantee that the funeral board will not effectively regulate Alcor out of business when the jurisdiction comes into effect. This, you certainly know by now, is causing widespread panic and fear in the cryonics community, due to certain public statements by Rudy Thomas. Oil can very easily be spread on these troubled waters, if the nature of the funeral board regulation were made clearer.

I apologize for filling your email in-box with yet another message to be read, but my conscience troubled me, after I saw how I had been misled by the hue & cry surrounding HB2637.

you have my best regards, Sir,

John McCluskey
------------------------------------------------
This got a reply:
Dear Mr. McClusky:

I very much appreciate your kind reply and your consideration of my comments.

Would you object if I shared your message with other members of the Legislature?

Again, thanks.
All the best,

Representative Bob Stump
Arizona House of Representatives
District 9
1700 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: (602) 542-5413
http://www.azleg.sta...sp?Member_ID=85

Certainly, as long as nothing is taken out of context. I'd prefer if both emails were presented together, to provide better context. However, the phrase "The issue of boils down to this" should actually read: "The issue of consent boils down to this"

It is my sincere hope that cryonic storage becomes an accepted alternative to cremation, burial, or medical donation. Benign government regulation and the consequent consumer protection may indeed help bring this about.

best regards,

John McCluskey
Thank you again for your integrity.
All the best,

Representative Bob Stump
Arizona House of Representatives
District 9
1700 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: (602) 542-5413
http://www.azleg.sta...sp?Member_ID=85

My final email (with no answer from Rep. Stump at this time)
Just to let you know, I'm going to post those two emails (my original comments, and the retraction) on some cryonics email lists. I think that resisting government regulation is blind and stupid, and it's clear that some sort of entente like the Michigan agreement is needed. The Cryonics Institute (run by Robert Ettinger) is all the stronger for it, and their membership is now rumored to surpass the Alcor membership. Their cryonics procedures are performed in a licensed funeral home, under the supervision of a licensed funeral director. See this webpage, which describes the Michigan agreement: http://www.network54...geid=1076617804

It's unfortunate that the technical procedures that the Cryonics Institute are using are less advanced than Alcor (see discussions under vitrification), but bringing them under the supervision of the funeral board seems to have improved their financial firewalls, forcing the creation of separate trust funds.

Bringing cryonics in Arizona under supervision of the funeral board will not necessarily end the friction, however. By the very nature of the goal sought (preserving information in the brain), the optimal place for performing the preparation procedure (perfusion of cryoprotectants along with cooling) is done in a hospital setting, as soon as possible after legal death is declared. There is intense pressure to declare the state of death as soon as possible, since lack of oxygen to the brain causes irreversible damage, with unknown consequences for future treatment. I predict that as the technology advances, and the likelihood of successful treatment rises, that eventually the requirement for a legal state of death will become obsolete. But we are far from that point, of course.

I'd like to point out that if the funeral board will accede to permitting the perfusion procedure in a hospital, at the point of legal death, then the cryonicists will all go home, convinced that they have won a great victory. It might even put the Cryonics Institute in Michigan at a severe disadvantage, since the services in Arizona would be demonstrably superior.

I would like to thank you for your work on this bill, since it is bringing many serious issues to light. I regret that I am not yet an Arizona voter, although I hope to rectify this in the next few years. :-)

you have my best regards,

John McCluskey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There you have it. In my opinion, Alcor precipitated this whole mess by ignoring the requirements of the UAGA in the Ted Willams case and now they are in a fair amount of trouble. Rep. Stump is notably silent about what the Funeral Board will do if given regulatory power over Alcor, and I'm beginning to suspect that he will disclaim all responsibility for what they might do in the future.

#6 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 04:03 AM

John,

Thanks for posting. I can understand why your made your change in decision about the bill, yet have you considered the following:

A question was raised regarding the section of bill HB 2637 (the bill attacking Alcor) that reads:

Sec. 4. Title 36, chapter 7, article 3, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 36-851, to read:

36-851. Applicability; definition

A. THIS ARTICLE DOES NOT APPLY TO A PERSON OR ENTITY THAT CHARGES A FEE FOR THE STORAGE OF A DEAD HUMAN BODY OR REMAINS OF A DEAD HUMAN BODY FOR MORE THAN FIVE YEARS.

This bill adds and amends several parts of the Arizona Revised Statutes (laws of the State of Arizona). It does so in four parts. "Sec. 4" means the 4th action of the bill. This action refers to an amendment of "Title 26, chapter 7, article 3," which is the Arizona Anatomical Gift Act (AAGA). The AAGA is Arizona's particular implementation of the Uniform Anatomical Gift Act (UAGA) which is implemented in some form in almost all 50 states as a mechanism for people to donate their tissues, organs, or body for medical or scientific uses. Sec. 4 of this bill amends the AAGA to prevent Alcor from operating under it.

Alcor has used the UAGA and AAGA as the legal mechanism for taking posession of cryonics patients for decades. It completely bypasses funeral regulations, and has numerous other advantages, some of which are explained by Steve Bridge in his article

http://www.alcor.org...egalstatus.html

It is my understanding that one of the reasons why CI succumbed to funeral regulation in Michigan is that they were not using the UAGA to do cryonics.

Bill HB 2637's revocation of Alcor's ability to use the UAGA and AAGA shows what an insidious and concerted attack on cryonics this is.

---Brian Wowk

REF: http://imminst.org/f...t=0

#7 john_mccluskey

• 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 04:31 PM

Bruce, I have to acknowledge that I overlooked that clause in the bill, but it seems easy enough to work around, by splitting Alcor into separate entities for suspension and storage functions (which might have to be out-of-state). I look at my exchange with Rep. Stump as an effort to dilute the purity of his purpose, to see if I could get him to acknowledge that cryonics has the right to exist in Arizona. By offering him a middle path, I hope to divert him from his apparent intention of halting cryonics in Arizona. I get the feeling from this exchange that he is getting a huge amount of flak from the cryonics community, and that any signs of support are gratefully accepted. I think he is operating on a sense of outrage over the TW affair, and I'm hoping that he'll ultimately accept some sort of compromise solution that will prevent a repeat, while still permitting Alcor to operate to everyone's satisfaction. The alternative, of course, is a straight political fight where somebody wins, somebody loses, and both sides leave the table as enemies. A defeat in committee or the full legislature won't close the issue, but a compromise solution will close it for probably 10 or 15 years, until the next crisis arises.

#8 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:57 PM

I commend your cooperative strategy. However, I fear the execution may not have been stellar. It appears Rep. Stump has taken your information and run with it. I'm not an expert on mediation, but it seems it may have been more wise to play the cards a bit closer to the breast.

Irregardless, thanks again for posting the exchange. I believe you are acting in good faith.

#9 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:10 PM

I'm hearing the bill passed with changes.

#10 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

I'm hearing the bill passed with changes.

where did you get that info?

#11 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:24 PM

quite preliminary, but here's the source:

I think they said the bill just passed committee. I'm not 100% sure. REF

Looks like some admendments are being made which would make the bill less "bad". It is hard to tell because the quality of the feed isn't the best. REF

#12 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:35 PM

So a mile wide and an inch deep was plenty enough to do it.

See Randy's quote;
Subject: Re: Re: Alcor emergency legislative alert - How to help if out of state?

I certainly approve of the efforts of well meaning people to defeat the terrible proposed legislation in Arizona.

However, I think some are naive insofar as they actually believe what politicians tell them.

Politicians are two-faced liars. They tell everyone what they think that person wants to hear and then vote the way they choose.

Hard to argue with that right now.

#13 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:40 PM

Here is the AZ Bill Status Overview:

http://www.azleg.sta.....s/hb2637o.asp

#14 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:48 PM

Well they got 100% for yes, that's a mile wide. Why even Linda Lopez voted Yes, so Randy is looking like a genius right now. I see nothing here that comes as a surprise.

#15 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:50 PM

So what's the next step???

#16 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:59 PM

I'm not sure the above link is current.
Yes, the above link is correct.

VOTE =

YES: 11
ABSENT: 1

Specifically: http://www.azleg.sta...7.hhealth.1.asp

Next Step:

1. Find out more about the bills implications
2. Let people know we have ILT (ImmInst Legal Team) for future situations.
3. Prepare for House Vote (if needed)

#17 gjbloom

• 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:01 PM

Just got this from Linda Lopez:

To: "'gjbloom@yahoo.com'"
Subject: RE: HB 2637
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:48:07 -0700

There were last minute negotiations between Alcor and Rep Stump that made the bill more agreeable - they are continuing to work on the bill.

Linda J. Lopez
State Representative - District 29

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 2:49 PM
To: Linda Lopez
Subject: RE: HB 2637

Ms. Lopez,

It appears you voted Y on this bill. What happened?

Thanks,
Gregory Bloom

#18 cryofan

• 136 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:05 PM

thefirstimmortal: Well they got 100% for yes, that's a mile wide. Why even Linda Lopez voted Yes, so Randy is looking like a genius right now.  I see nothing here that comes as a surprise.

But we have this message from Lopez:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Representative Lopez's Vote
February 24 2004 at 4:59 PM
No score for this post Phenom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reponse to my email to the representatives in Arizona, Linda Lopez replied:

"I am opposing this bill."

Linda J. Lopez
State Representative - District 29

>Thank you for responding Linda. May I ask your
>opinion as to whether you think this will be a
>party line vote or not?

"No, my understanding is that 3 republicans are opposing the bill as well. I'm fairly certain that all of my Democrats are opposing. As long as we get 6 opposed it dies!"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If she were just lying to appease "Phenom" then why we would see bother to enumerate the Republican votes and even put an exclamation point on the sentence. No, as "DumpsterBaby" says here:
http://www.network54...geid=1077830567 ,
the bill passed DPA (Do Pass Amended) and so it is likely that was a significant amendment to make the bill more benign. Hopefully, that would be an amendment to allow Alcor to continue using the AGA.

#19 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,070 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:57 PM

John: Thanks for writing to Stump and trying to gently prod him into giving the bill some sort of meaning. However I must point out that "Alcor being late to the discussion" is a non-sequiter in regards to how bad this bill is (or was, now that it is supposedly amended). The bill (as originally worded) was a regulator's/prosecuter's dream. Nebulous, broad, unspecific...just plain bad (worse than bad). The only thing clear is that cryonics would come under the regulatory power of a COMPETING industry. If Stump's true intentions were just to bring some state oversite to the cryonics industry then you would think the word CRYONICS would appear somewhere in the bill. Since it doesn't, and considering the remarks of the funeral board director, we can only assume Alcor will be moving to another state before the end of 2004. My personal feeling is that the word cryonics did not appear in the bill because Stump DOES NOT want to bring any sort of legitimacy to cryonics.

I have not seen the amended bill. Hopefully it is better. I hope Stump took your advice (highlighted below), and improved the bill. It needed a whole truckload of improvement.

I think that HB2637 could be improved, since as it is written now, there seems to be no guarantee that the funeral board will not effectively regulate Alcor out of business when the jurisdiction comes into effect. This, you certainly know by now, is causing widespread panic and fear in the cryonics community, due to certain public statements by Rudy Thomas. Oil can very easily be spread on these troubled waters, if the nature of the funeral board regulation were made clearer.

#20 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:01 PM

I appreciate your input on HB2637.  I do not sit on the Health Committee, so I am not familiar with this bill, but intend to make myself familiar with it due to your email.  From your information, your request to oppose HB2637 seems reasonable.  I will speak to Representative Stump who is sponsoring it and find out why he feels it is needed.

Karen S. Johnson
State Representative
District 18

Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 5:55 PM
To: kjohnson@azleg.state.az.us
Subject: an outrage

Devon,
I did sign on to the bill but will not vote for it once we learned of the issues in the bill.
Clancy Jayne

Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 5:54 PM
To: cjayne@azleg.state.az.us
Subject: an outrage

#21 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:01 AM

News Flash, this just in:
William,
I am not supporting HB 2637. I do not believe in the government regulating Alcor. Thank you for your support - Rep. Michele Reagan

Michele Reagan
State Representative
District 8
Scottsdale, Fountain Hills and Rio Verde

Call me cynical, but does any know if Az is using "bullshit auto-response 2.8"?

#22 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:24 AM

Michele Regan is a member of the Valley Presbyterian Church, I mentioned a case involving the Presbyterian Church, maybe she's for real.

I'm thinking I should thank her in case she votes against it.

#23 cryofan

• 136 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:01 AM

Joe Waynick has a post on Rick's Cryonics Cafe, which explains what went down. See here:
http://www.network54...ide/Forum/54032

#24 sjvan

• 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:07 AM

It is also on the Alcor web site:

http://alcor.org/legislation.html

#25 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:19 AM

Joe also posted his letter to ImmInst here:
http://imminst.org/f...1&t=3177&hl=&s=

#26 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:24 AM

Very interesting turn about... all of the emails and faxes seems to have made some impact.. Congrats to everyone!

#27 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:39 AM

John McCluskey after reading Joe's announcement in the ImmInst Chat Room:

John_McCluskey: I just realized... when this bill passes, and Alcor has a legal framework to operate under... I'll have to sign the consent papers and pay for my policy.  I'll have no excuse left not to sign up.
----
John_McCluskey:  I guess now I gotta send an email to Rudy Hoffman, and buy some of his product.

John_Ventureville: Rudi Hoffman is a great guy

#28 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

so as it stands now the bill is out? Therefore Alcor doesn't have to worry anymore about regulation from the funeral industry and thus doesn't have to fear being shut down in the district of Arizona right?

#29 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

still has to go to house/senate/gov vote...

but hold off on any more emails until we hear from alcor.

#30 faith_machine

• 17 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:41 PM

Has this Bill past or not? I am unclear as to the date it will definitely pass, changes or no changes ... have the remaining undecided people voted? I can see Democrats votes No (unconfirmed) and all Republicans (undecided) but Mr.Stump. Can someone clear this up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users