• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Nanotechnology in Dean Koontz Novel

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rationallogic

• 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 09:37 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has read the Dean Koontz novel: "By the Light of the Moon" in this novel a man and his mentally handycapped brother are injected with some sort of nanotechnology and with these small machines altering their DNA they become more aware about bad things surrounding them. also annother character in this novel also develops some interesting ablities with the assistance of nanotechnology. I believe this novel in a way could provoke some more advancement in nanotech.

#2 nefastor

• 304 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 11:38 PM

As much as fiction works have provoked advancement in science.

However, from what you write I believe it's genetic modifications, not nanotech which is at the center of the intrigue. You do mean they use nanomachines to perform DNA alterations, right ?

So nanomachines would only be the vector for the modifications, not the modifications themselves. If that is the case, I believe (like most people) that a retrovirus would do just as fine.

Retrovirii, compared to nanomachines, are already available. One of them, AIDS, works remarkably well... unfortunately.

Jean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users