• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Better to run air conditioner all day or just when I come home?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:46 AM

This question was asked here:

http://answers.yahoo...15102144AAcHvrd

But I don't think the responses were that good. So I ask the same question here to a more intelligent audience :-)

I can leave the A/C on during the day while I am at work to keep my place constantly cool or just run it when I come home. Which would be better?

Things to consider:

1. Cost per kW (to me) is independent of time.
2. Keeping the place cooler during the day means more cold air loss since the loss is proportional to the difference between inside and outside air temperature.
3. The A/C will run more efficiently during the cooler parts of the day (because the coils outside will be cooled better by the relatively cooler air -- outside air will be cooler than when I come home), I get home usually around highest temperature.
4. Nothing needs to be air conditioned when I am away (keep supplements in fridge).

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:48 AM

GR, these are all pretty good arguments for keeping it off during the day. One argument for leaving it on is to maintain a lower humidity in your house. If you have a large AC, you can probably drop the temperature quicker than the humidity, so it might end up being cool and damp if it's off all day. This assumes you live in a high-humidity area. If so, you could also consider setting the temp higher during the day, and lower while you're at home. If you have a programmable thermostat, that would be easy to do. If you live in a dry area, I would turn it off while gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users