Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Did I just buy snake oil?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AlexInf

• 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:52 AM

So I decided to get onto the Bacopa and Ginkgo bandwagon, and during a short break between classes, I sped off to the closest food supplement store. I was in a rush, so when I found one by "herbs of gold" called "Super Brahmi Complex w\Ginkgo Biloba", I checked the back, and saw:
Each capsuale contains
Bacopa 3000mg
Ginkgo 2000mg
*Lots of other stuffs*

I'd read around the forums and google a bit for dosages before hand, and saw most commonly Bacopa was ~300mg, and Ginkgo ~200mg, and when I saw this, I was confused and figured I'd read the numbers wrong, or with the high price of ~$45 AUD figured it must be just a really strong dosage (most of what I read said they don't have many side effects even at higher doses).
So I bought a bottle, took one, and went about my day. I was expecting to feel sleepy or something as I'd read my reports of drowsiness from Bacopa, but noticed nothing - figured I was lucky.

However upon getting home and taking more time, and taking a closer look at the contents, I see this:
"Bacopa monnieri whole plant - (3000mg) 3g
*standardised to contain Bacosides calc. as Bacoside A - 67.5mg
Ginkgo biloba leaf - (2000mg) 2g
*standardised to contain ginkgo flavonglycosides - 10.68mg
ginkgolides & bilobalide - 2.68mg
and
Fish oil - natural - 500mg
equiv. omega 3 marine triglycerides - 150mg
equiv. eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) - 90mg
equiv. docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) - 60mg
Lecithin - 100mg
Glutamine - 50mg
*standardised for assured reliable potency"

After a quick set of searches, from what I can gather, this basically means Bacopa plant 3000mg standardised as Bacoside A 2.25% etc, Ginkgo biloba standardised as ginkgoflavonglycosides 0.534% etc.
I've seen mentions as "Bacopa extract (50%) 600mg", is this essentially 300mg to my 67.5mg?

If it is basically a weak supplement, can anyone see any possible issues (w/ other ingredients) with taking a few at a time to get rid of them and order some "real" stuff?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users