• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Traveling by air within the USA? Checking Baggage?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ConcernedAirTraveler

• 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

Traveling by air within the USA? Checking some of your luggage vs. carrying it with you on board? Consider printing out this posting and putting a copy in each piece of checked luggage:

ATTENTION TSA!

If you did not change your blue nitrile gloves immediately before opening this bag, please do so now.

I know some of you don’t change your gloves for an hour or so, handling many bags, inspecting the contents of some of them and possibly transferring infectious materials from some bags into others, possibly depositing these infectious materials onto such items as breast pumps, breathing assist devices, bottles of prescription medications, baby food containers, etc.

I don’t want any infectious materials you might have on your gloves right now to contaminate items in my bag, so I’m asking, politely,

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR GLOVES IMMEDIATELY BEFORE SEARCHING THIS BAG,
IF YOU HAVEN’T DONE SO IMMEDIATELY BEFORE OPENING IT!

Also, feel free to remove this note from my bag and give it to your Supervisor, who will give it to his (or her) Screening Manager, who will give it to your airport’s Federal Security Director, who will pass it on to TSA-HQ in Washington, D.C., who may consider instituting the changing of gloves immediately before the start of each open bag search.

THANK YOU!

Those of you reading this posting may wish to consider emailing a copy to others you know who travel by air, including relatives, friends and business associates, and you might also consider posting a copy of this to other discussion boards, and emailing copies to responsible organizations like (1) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: cdcinfo@cdc.gov, (2) the American Academy of Family Physicians: contactcenter@aafp.org, and (3) U.S. MEDICINE: usmedicine@usmedicine.com, who may add their voices to yours in encouraging TSA to upgrade its practices of screening checked luggage, so as to lessen the probabilities of contaminating the contents of some bags with infectious materials picked up from the other bags.

ConcernedAirTraveler

Foster rationality, each day.
Challenge higher authority meaningfully,
because energetic resistance
lessens authoritarianism.
Intervene now!

Ps: Screeners are increasingly being warned by their management (as concerns about H1N1 grow) to protect themselves by using gloves, washing hands, coughing (if need be) with as much care as possible so as to reduce the risks of infecting coworkers, wiping down the stainless steel inspection tables with isopropyl alcohol frequently, etc. Face masks for reducing possibilities of infection by airborne agents, so of them sophisticated to the point of needed specialized training, are being offered as an option. In all of this there is no mention of possible risks to passengers of cross infection of luggage by failure to change gloves. Has this just been overlooked? Or, has it been considered and dismissed as too costly and too difficult to supervise? We don’t know! All that we know is that there is a risk that could be easily contained, and is not being dealt with!

Also, if you search Google for [FLU TSA AIR TRAVEL] or other key words like that, you'll find lots of congressional testimony, by unions and others, complaining that TSA is not doing enough to protect its employees. Anything about protecting the traveling public? No! If you want your bag to be searched by someone wearing clean gloves, perhaps the above notice, placed in your bags, is the only chance you might have!

Edited by ConcernedAirTraveler, 26 August 2009 - 06:21 PM.

#2 russianBEAR

• 432 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:03 PM

Oh no they're gonna open my bag and transfer a micro particle of bird/swine flu on to me and we're all gonna die.

Sounds like some good old-fashioned hysteria to me.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Oh no they're gonna open my bag and transfer a micro particle of bird/swine flu on to me and we're all gonna die.

You want some TSA robot rifling your stuff? I don't. Air travel "security" in America is useless bullshit. It's worse than useless, because it makes people think they are safe, but doesn't do much for our safety. I can't believe how cowardly my fellow citizens are that they willingly put up with TSA's invasive, idiotic hassles.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 russianBEAR

• 432 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

Oh everyone is willing to give up some freedoms for an illusion of safety. And it's always the few sensible ones that suffer because of the masses.

#5 ConcernedAirTraveler

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

That's probably true for a guy with a 'bear-like' immune system. But a mother with a young infant might feel a bit squeamish knowing that her breast pump had just been checked out with a pair of gloves that still had moisture in the creases from handling wet ziplock bags of some fisherman's luggage who was taking his rotting live bait home rather than trashing it before rushing to catch the plane, sneezing and coughing from the chill of wading a stream with too little warm clothing.

OK, that's dramatizing it too much. The usual case is probably just as you describe, and certainly we're not *all* going to die, but in a pandemic where even a few percent of the population goes down, germ-sharing among travelers could increase the die-off to a significant degree. The numbers illustrate the point. Perhaps a screener only enters 5-10 bags a day, but in a 250 day year (50 weeks x 5 days/week) that's at least 1000-2000 bags. With 50,000 employees in TSA, perhaps only 10,000 are checking bags, but the yearly total then would be over 10,000,000 - 20,000,000. Statistically, there could be a sizeable reduction in illness by cutting down the spread of infectious materials bag-to-bag, even if a pandemic wasn't going on.

Bacteria are hardier than most people give them credit for. When they did the studies for how stringently they should sterilize the Viking Landers for the first Mars touchdown (to prevent possibly infecting the surface of Mars with Earth's lifeforms), one of the things they did was to get an Apollo crew to pick up a camera from one of the first Lunar Surveyor unmanned landers, put it in a sterile bag, and bring it back. There was a gap of something over six months (maybe longer than that, I'm not sure) between those two landings, but on return to Earth they found living streptococcus bacteria in the camera. There had been at least six lunar-cycles of dark-cold to light-hot exposure in a vacuum, and the bacteria survived that with no problem. Perhaps virus are more fragile? Who knows?

Anyway, changing gloves between each bag check might be a reasonable precaution. With the idea that someday there might be a terrorist attempt to generate a pandemic of some kind, the last thing we need is for the anti-terrorism procedures to be helping to accelerate the effect.

Most people are not going to be concerned about this level of risk, true, and during a pandemic alert period air travel itself will decrease markedly anyway, in all likelihood. Still, if a condition arises where you see a lot of travelers wearing masks (those that do have to travel), and hysteria does peak due to die-offs, it might be good to have already closed the loophole of having bag-bag contamination accentuated by open-bag searches by hands wearing gloves that are seldom changed.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#6 russianBEAR

• 432 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

Well first of all I don't believe in any kind of a bird/swine/whatever pandemic.

There's a little known organization against medical falsifications, too bad they're not given any word in the media on all this.

You create a terror/pandemic alert to take away more freedoms and get people to possibly pay a lot for vaccines.

That's like the government being the parent who cares his little kid into submission: "If you dont eat vegetables a big bad wolf will come eat you" = "There's a red terror level/pandemic, give up your freedom or risk getting blown up or getting infected".

My immune system is very far from bear like by the way, the doctors were giving me very few years to live when I was younger.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)