Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol Horrible Severe Side Effects 500mg Pure 99%

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 shell59

• 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hi, I just wanted to warn people especially women in the perimenopause or menopause years that Resveratrol will wreck havoc with your hormones. It helped my husband for a week and then starting causing him severe pain in his feet. With all these posts I can't believe there are not more posts warning people of the harmfull effects especially with higher doses (meaning 500MG). I guess people only hear what they want to hear. And if I was a man I would be afraid, very afraid. You might find your boobs getting bigger and the sudden urge to go shopping all the time. And yes it was pure resveratrol so you can't chalk it up to other ingredients. It made me very ill. I am just now feeling well enough to post.

#2 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

Hi, I just wanted to warn people especially women in the perimenopause or menopause years that Resveratrol will wreck havoc with your hormones. It helped my husband for a week and then starting causing him severe pain in his feet. With all these posts I can't believe there are not more posts warning people of the harmfull effects especially with higher doses (meaning 500MG). I guess people only hear what they want to hear. And if I was a man I would be afraid, very afraid. You might find your boobs getting bigger and the sudden urge to go shopping all the time. And yes it was pure resveratrol so you can't chalk it up to other ingredients. It made me very ill. I am just now feeling well enough to post.

most of the peer reviewed research indicates that men who take resveratrol and experience the deleterious side effects of increased shopping urges, tend to shop at discount stores (in non-lab settings). i think the odds of taking resveratrol and dropping $5,000 at tiffanys are slim. i guess it depends on your income and your view of the tradeoff between risk/reward.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:21 AM

Resveratrol is an anti-aromatase, and tends to prevent conversion of estrogen to testosterone. It raises a man's testoserone levels, so shopping urges should not be an issue.

I apologize for prophets' flippant response; he should show respect for the pain your husband is experiencing in his feet. Have you been standing on them?

The boobs remark does lead one to doubt the sincerity of you post.

Edited by maxwatt, 01 September 2009 - 12:24 AM.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:35 AM

Sorry to hear that you and your husband are feeling poorly. I don't think you can say that it will wreak havoc with anyone's hormones based on one experience, but we do try to stay on top of adverse effects. I'd be interested in hearing from any other women who have had similar experiences. I'm not aware of any reports of feminization in males. Your husband's foot pain has been reported before. I would call it a "known side effect", at least known by people who frequent this forum. I hope that he's feeling better; I assume he's stopped the resveratrol. Could you let us know if/when he is back to normal? Nearly all of the tendon pain reports have resolved uickly upon stopping resveratrol.

#5 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:59 AM

I've been taking resveratrol for 3 years now at doses of 1-2 grams a day. My last two testosterone test results showed I had levels at the very top of the normal range. I do another test this week and I'll post the results if they are low.

#6 unglued

• 171 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:41 AM

velopismo, could you clarify whether your last two testosterone tests were before or after you started taking high-dose resveratrol three years ago?

shell59, could you clarify whether your husband's foot pain might have been in the Achilles heel or other tendon, as niner assumed? Among the umpteen topics in the resveratrol forum, at least two have discussed this possible side effect: the Joint Pain topic and a poll on good and bad effects. If you click on "Resveratrol »" at the top and search for "tendonitis" or "joint pain" in quotes, you may find more.

Of course, those are mostly people comparing notes on personal results, like this topic, although people post links to scientific papers when they find them. Like the good effects, I think almost all the human evidence so far is anecdotal; there have been few human studies yet.

#7 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:44 AM

Well so far of your 5 posts, 5 out of 5 are about the negative effects of Resveratrol...........

People are warning of the side effects they see, there just aren't that many it would seem. This doesn't mean there aren't any, just not a high prevalence.

I do wonder if severe pain may be Resveratrol uncovering another problem that has been dormant ready to strike later in a more severe way. This may be worth investigating further.

As for Biovitas purity, I cannot comment as I don't think they test every batch.

The estrogen thing is nicely explained by Max. Perhaps the anti-aromatase action is what caused the hormone havoc for you.

#8 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:51 AM

As for Biovitas purity, I cannot comment as I don't think they test every batch.

The estrogen thing is nicely explained by Max. Perhaps the anti-aromatase action is what caused the hormone havoc for you.

WRT Biotvia, my understanding is that they have lab facilities in Malayasia and test in-house, not in an independent lab.

I am not an endocrinologist and do not know if the slight anti-aromatase activity of resveratrol that has been demonstrated in the lab translates into any significant activity in humans, or how this would impact the normally low levels of testosterone in women or what effect this might have, Resveratrol was thought to be estrogenic because of its molecular structure, but the effect is weak, and in some tissues it has been shown to block estrogen receptors rather than activate them.

#9 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

WRT to Biotiv., I'll just throw in my own personal anecdote of odd joint pains, dysphoria, dysesthesia, etc. I experienced while taking it a few years ago. After I stopped taking the Biotiva brand resveratrol, coincidence or not, all my symptoms subsided. I have been and currently take well over a gram of high purity (not Biotiva brand) trans-resveratrol a day.

Edited by maxwatt, 02 September 2009 - 01:33 PM.

#10 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:17 AM

WRT to Biotiv, I'll just throw in my own personal anecdote of odd joint pains, dysphoria, dysesthesia, etc. I experienced while taking it a few years ago. After I stopped taking the Biotiva brand resveratrol, coincidence or not, all my symptoms subsided. I have been and currently take well over a gram of high purity (not Biotiva brand) trans-resveratrol a day.

I have been taking 1.5 grams of pure Biotiv resveratrol for 6 months . I have not experienced any side effects. I am skeptical of reported side effect from resveratrol - both from my personal use as well as from the Sirtris studies - resveratrol is well tolerated at least up to 5 grams per day per person. My health and well being have never been better.

Edited by maxwatt, 02 September 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:33 AM

WRT to Biotiva, I'll just throw in my own personal anecdote of odd joint pains, dysphoria, dysesthesia, etc. I experienced while taking it a few years ago. After I stopped taking the Biotiva brand resveratrol, coincidence or not, all my symptoms subsided. I have been and currently take well over a gram of high purity (not Biotiva brand) trans-resveratrol a day.

I have been taking 1.5 grams of pure Biotivial resveratrol for 6 months . I have not experienced any side effects. I am skeptical of reported side effect from resveratrol - both from my personal use as well as from the Sirtris studies - resveratrol is well tolerated at least up to 5 grams per day per person. My health and well being have never been better.

Sirtris' studies were high dose, but they were short and small. This site, on the other hand, could get anecdotal reports from a population of tens of thousands of users. A small fraction of a population like that could generate a lot of reports here, and represent a phenomenon that would have never shown up in the Sirtris trials. The people who have bad experiences are going to be more motivated to post than people who have experiences that are closer to neutral. One anecdote from a person who takes a drug and doesn't have an adverse side effect means nothing when you are talking about a low frequency problem. I'm glad that you are having a good experience with the Biotivial product, but that doesn't mean that everyone will or that the problem is necessarily limited to Biotivial. I've see enough reports that I am convinced there are low-frequency negative side effects with resveratrol. The best hypothesis seems to be that they are related to aromatase inhibition.

Edited by maxwatt, 02 September 2009 - 01:35 PM.

#12 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:51 AM

WRT to Biotiva, I'll just throw in my own personal anecdote of odd joint pains, dysphoria, dysesthesia, etc. I experienced while taking it a few years ago. After I stopped taking the Biotiva brand resveratrol, coincidence or not, all my symptoms subsided. I have been and currently take well over a gram of high purity (not Biotiva brand) trans-resveratrol a day.

I have been taking 1.5 grams of pure Biotivia resveratrol for 6 months . I have not experienced any side effects. I am skeptical of reported side effect from resveratrol - both from my personal use as well as from the Sirtris studies - resveratrol is well tolerated at least up to 5 grams per day per person. My health and well being have never been better.

Sirtris' studies were high dose, but they were short and small. This site, on the other hand, could get anecdotal reports from a population of tens of thousands of users. A small fraction of a population like that could generate a lot of reports here, and represent a phenomenon that would have never shown up in the Sirtris trials. The people who have bad experiences are going to be more motivated to post than people who have experiences that are closer to neutral. One anecdote from a person who takes a drug and doesn't have an adverse side effect means nothing when you are talking about a low frequency problem. I'm glad that you are having a good experience with the Biotivia product, but that doesn't mean that everyone will or that the problem is necessarily limited to Biotivia. I've see enough reports that I am convinced there are low-frequency negative side effects with resveratrol. The best hypothesis seems to be that they are related to aromatase inhibition.

Good point....Somtimes, however, I suspect posters are pushing for some sort of commercial agenda - for instance low dose vs. high dose resveratrol or organic resveratrol vs. new chemical entities. Perhaps I am becoming too paranoid. That being said, I am excited to hear the news coming out of the aging conference being held at Harvard later this month. Any thoughts, anyone, on what might be revealed?

#13 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:27 AM

Good point....Somtimes, however, I suspect posters are pushing for some sort of commercial agenda - for instance low dose vs. high dose resveratrol or organic resveratrol vs. new chemical entities. Perhaps I am becoming too paranoid. That being said, I am excited to hear the news coming out of the aging conference being held at Harvard later this month. Any thoughts, anyone, on what might be revealed?

No, you are not being paranoid. I've noticed certain brands like Biolivitia on a current thread can be named to give negative publicity since Revgenetics supports the Immt Institute. Other brands can't be named. This is also obviously a heavily biased high dose forum, although recently niner seems to think high dose may not be the way to go. c.f "The nail in the coffin against high doses" thread.

As for the conference, I think they timed it for discussing what Sirtris comes up with this month as hinted in a recent New York Times article. Dr. Sinclair said last year that , "resveratrol will soon be considered old technology." We may have only a few more weeks before knowing.

Edited by maxwatt, 02 September 2009 - 01:31 PM.
obfuscate brand name

#14 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

opendoor welcome to the forum.

You might try doing a bit of research, to see if your belief is correct. At this time, I think you have it wrong.

Please do a search on that brand name here on the board and see the history of posts regarding the brand.
http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

You can also read the full "quality" thread to understand and read the history of posts that their company owner James Betz made in imminst.org:
http://www.imminst.o...p?act...&hl=&s=

Last but not least, read the oldest posts made by James Betz on the website, if you want to read what he was posting before he apparently started his company:
http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

Somewhere in the posts you will also see why he left imminst.org, and stopped posting. See if you can find that one, it's interesting. Regardless of how you feel about the board, it has an enourmous amount of history and answered questions already. You simply need to do a quick search to find things.

Again, welcome to the forum.

A

#15 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

No, you are not being paranoid. I've noticed certain brands like Biolivitia on a current thread can be named to give negative publicity since Revgenetics supports the Immt Institute. Other brands can't be named. This is also obviously a heavily biased high dose forum, although recently niner seems to think high dose may not be the way to go. c.f "The nail in the coffin against high doses" thread.

As for the conference, I think they timed it for discussing what Sirtris comes up with this month as hinted in a recent New York Times article. Dr. Sinclair said last year that , "resveratrol will soon be considered old technology." We may have only a few more weeks before knowing.

Biotiv one of the better products available, IMO. Their viral marketing here has been objectionable in the past. I consider the joint-pain report a coincidence. We try not to show prejudice toward any particular vendor. Sometimes it is hard to separate discussions of dosage and formulation from criticism or the appearance of favoritism. We cannot control what every member posts, but if you have an issue you can report a post to the navigators.

I think Sinclair is show-boating, as usual. Look for pre-publication articles in Nature, Science or Cell.

Edited by maxwatt, 02 September 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#16 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

I am not a Doctor.
But, Your husband might have neuropathy and this could be a symptom to an underlying illness or disease.
Liver failure, heart disease, diabetes, .... new shoes that are too tight ... ???
He should see a doctor and report his feet pain right away.
I am very sorry the Resveratrol made you and your husband very ill.

#17 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:38 PM

I think Sinclair is show-boating, as usual. Look for pre-publication articles in Nature, Science or Cell.

I haven't had the sense that he has been showboating. Any examples? His comment would be show-boating if not true, but it seems like he knows something about the pill in development that makes him confident. He wrote an article in April that concluded the pills were not a done deal yet, but that we will know soon.

Dr. Sinclair came across to me as a pretty modest guy while Dr. Westphal seemed like the smoother talker.

#18 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:05 AM

velopismo, could you clarify whether your last two testosterone tests were before or after you started taking high-dose resveratrol three years ago?

shell59, could you clarify whether your husband's foot pain might have been in the Achilles heel or other tendon, as niner assumed? Among the umpteen topics in the resveratrol forum, at least two have discussed this possible side effect: the Joint Pain topic and a poll on good and bad effects. If you click on "Resveratrol »" at the top and search for "tendonitis" or "joint pain" in quotes, you may find more.

Of course, those are mostly people comparing notes on personal results, like this topic, although people post links to scientific papers when they find them. Like the good effects, I think almost all the human evidence so far is anecdotal; there have been few human studies yet.

My tests were taken after taking Res. I never had a pre Res testosterone test.

#19 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

I haven't had the sense that he has been showboating. Any examples? His comment would be show-boating if not true, but it seems like he knows something about the pill in development that makes him confident. He wrote an article in April that concluded the pills were not a done deal yet, but that we will know soon.

Dr. Sinclair came across to me as a pretty modest guy while Dr. Westphal seemed like the smoother talker.

I beleive Nicholas Wade, in his writing for the New York Times, described Sinclair as having the enthusias of a carnival barker, whereas Guarante seemed more reserved and staid.

Where did you meet Dr. Sinclair?

#20 Shay

• 54 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

WRT to Biotiv, I'll just throw in my own personal anecdote of odd joint pains, dysphoria, dysesthesia, etc. I experienced while taking it a few years ago. After I stopped taking the Biotiva brand resveratrol, coincidence or not, all my symptoms subsided. I have been and currently take well over a gram of high purity (not Biotiva brand) trans-resveratrol a day.

I have been taking 1.5 grams of pure Biotiv resveratrol for 6 months . I have not experienced any side effects. I am skeptical of reported side effect from resveratrol - both from my personal use as well as from the Sirtris studies - resveratrol is well tolerated at least up to 5 grams per day per person. My health and well being have never been better.

I've been skeptical on three occasions of my own experience of joint pain. Each time I start resv, the various pains come back. When I stop they go away, slowly, not back to normal though. I'm 100% convinced that the effects are real. At this point I'm resigned to waiting 3-5 years for the human trials to identify the cause and true cost of those pains. I've still got some youth on my side.

#21 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

I beleive Nicholas Wade, in his writing for the New York Times, described Sinclair as having the enthusias of a carnival barker, whereas Guarante seemed more reserved and staid.

I met him on TV.

Could you please link the Wade quote? And could you link anything that Dr. Sinclair has said that makes you think he is showboating?

Since you wrote he is " showboating, as usual" you should be able to link several quotes, right?

#22 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

I met him on TV.

Could you please link the Wade quote? And could you link anything that Dr. Sinclair has said that makes you think he is showboating?

Since you wrote he is " showboating, as usual" you should be able to link several quotes, right?

Shaklee.

#23 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

I met him on TV.

Shaklee.

I agree that Sinclair has a huge ego - this, however, has probably driven him to be as successful as he has been - I think the world will benefit from this huge ego in the not too distant future. What bothers me is that it seems like he has stopped any reseach on resveratrol in its pure form (i.e. resveratrol that is available to the public now). He is only researching the Glaxo pipeline - whether resveratrol derived like (SRT501) or the NCE's. Futher, he has brought many of the leading resveratrol scienetists with him (given them positions on the Sirtris boards etc.) And now they are only researching Glaxo products.

#24 opendoor

• 100 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:34 AM

I agree that Sinclair has a huge ego - this, however, has probably driven him to be as successful as he has been - I think the world will benefit from this huge ego in the not too distant future. What bothers me is that it seems like he has stopped any reseach on resveratrol in its pure form (i.e. resveratrol that is available to the public now). He is only researching the Glaxo pipeline - whether resveratrol derived like (SRT501) or the NCE's. Futher, he has brought many of the leading resveratrol scienetists with him (given them positions on the Sirtris boards etc.) And now they are only researching Glaxo products.

He hasn't come across to me as having an ego bigger than many who get more well known over time. I don't see how "Shaklee" was showboating, either. He was just selling a new product , then resigned. I think he exaggerated about Shaklee using his name wrongly, though.

It doesnt seem like an exaggeration to say resveartrol will soon be considered old technology if the one SRT pill 1000 times more potent works much more effectively than resveratrol.

Aren't there more resveratrol scientists out there from around the world?

#25 newshadow

• 28 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:27 AM

Hello Anthony,

I am looking for you input from yourself and everyone here as well.I do plenty of research and it seems the more you do the more you have to do.Here is one example.
Mol Neurosci. 2009 Jan 15. [Epub ahead of print]Related Articles, Links
Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress-Induced Cell Death in Dopaminergic Cells: Effect of Resveratrol.

Chinta SJ, Poksay KS, Kaundinya G, Hart M, Bredesen DE, Andersen JK, Rao RV.

The Buck Institute for Age Research, 8001 Redwood Blvd., Novato, CA, 94945, USA.

Resveratrol, a naturally occurring polyphenol, exhibits antioxidant, antiaging, and anticancer activity. Resveratrol has also been shown to inhibit tumor initiation, promotion, and progression in a variety of cell culture systems. Earlier, we showed that paraquat, a bipyridyl herbicide, triggers endoplasmic reticulum stress, cell dysfunction, and dopaminergic cell death. Due to its antioxidant activity, we assessed the ability of resveratrol to rescue cells from the toxic effects of paraquat. While resveratrol did not have any protective effect at low concentrations, it triggered endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress-induced cell death at higher concentrations (50-250 muM). The present study was carried out to determine the mechanism by which resveratrol triggers ER stress and cell death in dopaminergic N27 cells. Our studies demonstrate that resveratrol triggers ER stress and cell dysfunction, caspase activation, p23 cleavage and inhibition of proteasomal activity in dopaminergic N27 cells. While over expression of uncleavable p23 was associated with decreased cell death, downregulation of p23 protein expression by siRNA resulted in enhancement of ER stress-induced cell death triggered by resveratrol indicating a protective role for the small co-chaperone p23 in dopaminergic cell death.

PMID: 19145491 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Now the question is what is ''low'' and high resveratrol concentration'' in a human??? The dopaminergic cell death concerns me but it is odd how the net effect is always a life span extension. Maybe dopaminergic neurons are overrated??? :)

#26 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:32 AM

Hello Anthony,

I am looking for you input from yourself and everyone here as well.I do plenty of research and it seems the more you do the more you have to do.Here is one example.
Mol Neurosci. 2009 Jan 15. [Epub ahead of print]Related Articles, Links
Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress-Induced Cell Death in Dopaminergic Cells: Effect of Resveratrol.

The Buck Institute for Age Research, 8001 Redwood Blvd., Novato, CA, 94945, USA.

Resveratrol, a naturally occurring polyphenol, exhibits antioxidant, antiaging, and anticancer activity. Resveratrol has also been shown to inhibit tumor initiation, promotion, and progression in a variety of cell culture systems. Earlier, we showed that paraquat, a bipyridyl herbicide, triggers endoplasmic reticulum stress, cell dysfunction, and dopaminergic cell death. Due to its antioxidant activity, we assessed the ability of resveratrol to rescue cells from the toxic effects of paraquat. While resveratrol did not have any protective effect at low concentrations, it triggered endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress-induced cell death at higher concentrations (50-250 muM). The present study was carried out to determine the mechanism by which resveratrol triggers ER stress and cell death in dopaminergic N27 cells. Our studies demonstrate that resveratrol triggers ER stress and cell dysfunction, caspase activation, p23 cleavage and inhibition of proteasomal activity in dopaminergic N27 cells. While over expression of uncleavable p23 was associated with decreased cell death, downregulation of p23 protein expression by siRNA resulted in enhancement of ER stress-induced cell death triggered by resveratrol indicating a protective role for the small co-chaperone p23 in dopaminergic cell death.

PMID: 19145491 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Now the question is what is ''low'' and high resveratrol concentration'' in a human??? The dopaminergic cell death concerns me but it is odd how the net effect is always a life span extension. Maybe dopaminergic neurons are overrated??? :)

Doesn't that study only indicate resveratrol in triggering dopaminergic cell death in the presence of paraquat?

#27 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:56 AM

Hi Animal...

I think you may be right:

Since paraquat is known to trigger oxidative stress leading to misfolded proteins and ER stress, we turned our attention to resveratrol to see if it could perhaps block PQ- induced toxicity and cell death. Instead of rescuing the cells and to our surprise, resveratrol actually triggered ER stress and dopaminergic cell death at concentrations of 25–100 μM. The toxicity was not restricted to just dopaminergic N27 cells since other glial- and neural-like cells including PC12, BV-2 microglial cells, and H4 cells were also susceptible to resveratrol toxicity albeit at concentrations greater than 200 μM.

Folks please try not to eat paraquat herbacide please, you will probably die regardless of resveratrol intake:

Here's the wiki info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraquat

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 16 September 2009 - 03:00 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#28 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:08 AM

Mol Neurosci. 2009 Jan 15. [Epub ahead of print]

PMID: 19145491

This is a good example of why most people should not read in vitro studies. "In vitro" literally translates as "in glass", i.e., in a test tube or petri dish. Because it doesn't have the problems of absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion like it would in an animal, you can get results that do not translate to humans one bit. In this case, the concentrations that triggered ER stress-induced cell death, 50-250 micromolar, are essentially impossible to achieve in a human. That said, this is an example of resveratrol triggering apoptosis of a damaged cell when used at high concentration. This is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. If damaged cells didn't get killed off via apoptosis, you would soon be loaded with tumors. From other research, it appears that high doses of resveratrol (though less than 50uM plasma levels) can also induce apoptosis in animals, and we might suppose humans as well. This might explain some or all of resveratrol's anti-cancer effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users