Photo
- - - - -

antideppresants vs adaptogen herbs / supplements etc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

when having an options of wellbutrin versus a nootropic/anti-anxiety stack, i feel that the latter is inherently better, but i'm not sure why. what do you think? you'd be dependent on both. only think i can think of is that antidepressant have greater side effects, but what if i don't noticed any... is that latter actually much better for my body?

#2 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:36 AM

Are you trying to treat anxiety or just looking for a general nootropic?

Wellbutrin wouldn't work for anxiety like an SSRI does. It would probably cause more anxiety.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 DavidCookFan

• 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

Wellbutrin wouldn't work for anxiety like an SSRI does. It would probably cause more anxiety.

What supplements are good for treating "depression"? I have been using Insotiol. Has anyone else had experience with this? Thank you!!

#4 DavidCookFan

• 18 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

What supplements are good for treating "depression"? I have been using Insotiol. Has anyone else had experience with this? Thank you!!

#5 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

I can speak from an anxiety perspective. Welbutrin did increase my anxiety, but Lexapro was, and is, a miracle drug. Unfortunately it comes with side effects: fatigue, and more importantly, sexual issues.

For fatigue, take it before bed. Problem solved. This will mean it will take a bit longer for you to notice the effects in the day time, but probably worth it to avoid the fatigue.

Regarding the other issues. Well, it lessens after a time. The good news for guys is that it makes orgasming more difficult. Bad news for girls.

I tried every supplement on the market to avoid SSRIs, even some that aren't as easy to get a hold of, like Tianeptine (Stablon). Nothing compared, unfortunately.

But that's my own experience. Try it for yourself :)

#6 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:58 AM

If you only suffer from anxiety then there are numerous supplements you can take to help you overcome that. Most of them have a minimal effect on concomitant depression though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

according to about.com, some depressions are a result of B-vitamin deficiencies. Alcohol, refined sugar, caffeine and nicotine can destroy the B-vitamins in our bodies, thus causing a deficiency. You can try a good B-complex supplement and see how things go. There's also St. John's Wort which can treat mild to moderate depression (studies are not clear on major depression). However, you need to tell a doctor about St. John's Wort since it can cause unwanted effects if you are taking certain medications or supplements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users