- - - - -

Supplements that have the most noticeable effect

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:51 AM

For me,

1. Adaptaphase II, if I'm feeling stressed out from lack of sleep or for whatever reason, I take a couple of these on an empty stomach and it can really turn around my day.

2. Green tea, and not just because of the caffiene. After a cup of green tea I feel snappy, in a focused and energized sense. Coffee does not have this effect for me.

3. Turmeric/olive oil/black pepper, not as noticeable as the first two, but a hefty spoonful of turmeric in olive oil with black pepper can help clear my head and generally makes me feel better.

I take other things, such as Ortho Core, Resveratrol (Nitro 250), and others, but they have no noticeable effect. Ortho mind and MindCare mentat have an effect on me, but not in a clearly positive way.

#2 apache

• 30 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:25 AM

For me,

1. Adaptaphase II, if I'm feeling stressed out from lack of sleep or for whatever reason, I take a couple of these on an empty stomach and it can really turn around my day.

2. Green tea, and not just because of the caffiene. After a cup of green tea I feel snappy, in a focused and energized sense. Coffee does not have this effect for me.

3. Turmeric/olive oil/black pepper, not as noticeable as the first two, but a hefty spoonful of turmeric in olive oil with black pepper can help clear my head and generally makes me feel better.

I take other things, such as Ortho Core, Resveratrol (Nitro 250), and others, but they have no noticeable effect. Ortho mind and MindCare mentat have an effect on me, but not in a clearly positive way.

In terms of an immediate effect: Phenibut, E/C/A, really nothing else.
In terms of a slow, long-term effect, I'm not a good judge.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:44 AM

Royal Jelly -- Improved sense of well-being, mental clarity, skin seems to glow.

Fish Oil -- Especially in conjunction with a low carb, high fat paleo diet.

Shilajit -- Helps me to detox, build muscle, and to keep a clear and focused mind.

#4 RighteousReason

• Topic Starter
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:13 AM

Yeah Fish Oil is slightly noticable for me in the same way as turmeric. I've never heard of Phenibut, E/C/A, Royal Jelly, or Shilajit

#5 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

Drinking Green Tea in the AM.

#6 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

dextroamphetamine
nicotine
melatonin
trazodone
taurine
glycine
clomiphene

pretty much anything psychoactive, duh. The only non-neuro supplement that produces obvious effects is niacin, the unpleasant flush is kinda hard to ignore. Oh, and an immediate reduction in viral upper respiratory symptoms within a day of ingesting 50,000 units of vitamin D3.

#7 Arc

• 46 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:06 AM

GABA
Beta-Alanine
Coffee
Piracetam
ALCAR
Fish oil - feel this when the bottle runs out and you go a few days without it

The GABA and Beta-alanine are both really fun to take together in high doses.

#8 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

just what is it that you feel when you run out of fish oil? I don't feel anything.

GABA
Beta-Alanine
Coffee
Piracetam
ALCAR
Fish oil - feel this when the bottle runs out and you go a few days without it

The GABA and Beta-alanine are both really fun to take together in high doses.

#9 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

AOR Ortho-Bone-I think mainly because of the magnesium. Other cal/mag supps I tried didn't have the same effect.

Edited by nancyd, 22 September 2009 - 11:01 PM.

#10 Arc

• 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:44 AM

just what is it that you feel when you run out of fish oil? I don't feel anything.

Inflammation, but that's probably because I do weight training 4 times a week.

#11 RighteousReason

• Topic Starter
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:47 AM

dextroamphetamine
nicotine
melatonin
trazodone
taurine
glycine
clomiphene

pretty much anything psychoactive, duh. The only non-neuro supplement that produces obvious effects is niacin, the unpleasant flush is kinda hard to ignore. Oh, and an immediate reduction in viral upper respiratory symptoms within a day of ingesting 50,000 units of vitamin D3.

I don't necessarily mean an immediate effect, just in general.

Btw, taurine is noticeable for you? I take it with beta-alanine and I don't notice anything. Melatonin never had an effect either.

Edited by RighteousReason, 23 September 2009 - 02:47 AM.

#12 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:00 AM

I take about 2 grams of taurine before bed, and it has a marked blunting effect on anxiety, wakefulness, etc. The nights I don't take it I lay awake longer.

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:55 AM

I take about 2 grams of taurine before bed, and it has a marked blunting effect on anxiety, wakefulness, etc. The nights I don't take it I lay awake longer.

Is this a dose-dependent effect? The reason I wonder is that taurine is a component of some energy drinks, and I wouldn't think they'd put anything sedating in there. They are probably using less than half a gram.

#14 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:39 AM

I have no idea why they put it in energy drinks, except maybe to blunt jitteryness and anxiety that might otherwise result from the obscene doses of caffeine they are using now. But as you suggested I'm sure the actual amount of taurine is so little as to be inconsequential either way.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 24 September 2009 - 04:40 AM.

#15 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:53 AM

Yes, it is a dose dependent effect, I've taken up to 6 grams (spent too much time over at Mind&Muscle) and I was groggy most of the next day. IIRC red bull actually contains 1 g of taurine per can, I think I just react more strongly to the inhibitory effect than most, I suspect.

#16 rephore

• 123 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

I just tried some 5-HTP for the first time yesterday. It had a really calming effect. It only lasted one hour though.

#17 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

Fish oil
magnesium

two really noticeable ones for me.

#18 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:08 PM

I have no idea why they put it in energy drinks, except maybe to blunt jitteryness and anxiety that might otherwise result from the obscene doses of caffeine they are using now. But as you suggested I'm sure the actual amount of taurine is so little as to be inconsequential either way.

Red Bull did it very cleverly so that it would have synergy with alcoholic drinks. The Taurine was obviously intended by Red Bull to reduce the toxic effects of alcohol, but not the amount of alcohol in the blood obviously. They did a lot of joint marketing with vodka companies.

The synergy of Red Bull and Vodka has been one of the reasons for Red Bull's success in the energy drink sector.

#19 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:02 PM

A good extract of Saint Johns wort definitely calms depressive moments. But it has photo-sensitive effect as well. Valerian root seems to calm a tense state of mind, but as my receptors adapt to it I find I must increase the dose for it to be effective, or else stop taking it for a couple days, then start over. Melatonin definitely effects me, as well as Rhodiola Rosea. Resveratrol at a decent dose and purity seems to make me feel an overall balance physiologically.

#20 Saber

• 110 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

Taurine will hit you like a ton of bricks if you take it on an empty stomach. Putting it in energy drinks probably mellow out the blood sugar spike.

The two most noticeable I have taken is fish oil and taurine.

Fish oil is just a godsend. I can feel the cloud of depression and apathy looming over me when fish oil runs low. You won't notice a difference if you have a high amount of fish in your diet, but to someone who eats only meat, the difference is night and day. It makes you feel much more healthy.

Edited by Saber, 24 September 2009 - 07:29 PM.

#21 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

Yes I could never go without omega 3 now.... EVER. Really helps with mood :)

#22 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

You won't notice a difference if you have a high amount of fish in your diet, but to someone who eats only meat, the difference is night and day. It makes you feel much more healthy.

A major part of this is probably because land based animal meat is high in Omega 6 while fish is High in Omega 3, thus different lipid response and triglyceride receptivity and eventually grey matter formation and neural connectivity.

Edited by TheFountain, 25 September 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#23 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:07 PM

In no particular order...

SAMe
DHEA
Ginger
Kava kava
Ashwagandha
Magnesium Malate

...and something I just recently discovered, brainwave entrainment.

#24 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

I take Nordic Naturals fish oil capsules and I've never experienced any effect from it. I don't eat fish btw. I take a few bottles and then wait 1-2 months to buy more so I think I would have felt a difference in that gap.

Edited by nancyd, 25 September 2009 - 11:54 PM.

#25 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

I take Nordic Naturals fish oil capsules and I've never experienced any effect from it. I don't eat fish btw. I take a few bottles and then wait 1-2 months to buy more so I think I would have felt a difference in that gap.

Not "feeling" a supplement is not necessarily a bad thing.

#26 JackChristopher

• 178 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:37 AM

A quick way to convince supps have an effect, say: Take 500mg of Niacin—call me in an hour.

Once I took a gram of what I thought was something else. An hour later it felt like someone chucked me into a teleporter and I landed in Death Valley. I was like the Sun was attached to me by leash. Duke once said of niacin flush: "is like dunking you head in lava."

#27 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:31 AM

Not "feeling" a supplement is not necessarily a bad thing.

I was just commenting on my experience compared to others that felt an effect from fish oil on their moods. My moods are stable though anyway so maybe that's why :) Yea I don't expect to feel a difference from the majority of my supps.

Edited by nancyd, 26 September 2009 - 02:32 AM.

#28 RighteousReason

• Topic Starter
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

What is the effect of magnesium that is noticeable?

Olive oil also has a similar effect as fish oil to me, I feel a little bit better just in general

#29 white noise

• 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

The limit in foods: onions, garlic, pepper, tea, coffee, chocolate, wine, beer. Try to eat a meal before going to sleep, but without the use of products laxative properties.
Sleep restored.

Edited by white noise, 26 September 2009 - 05:09 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

What is the effect of magnesium that is noticeable?

Olive oil also has a similar effect as fish oil to me, I feel a little bit better just in general

so u take a spoon normal olive oil from the kitchen? Won't that upset your stomach?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users