Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Imusic = Pseudoscience

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Thales

• 44 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:59 AM

Here's a blog entry on brainwave entrainment by Dr. Novella, a neurologist who works at Yale University. I find it convincingly calls into question the rationality of taking programs like neuro-pragrammer and Imusic seriously. I thought this information would be useful in creating a more balanced presentation of brainwave entrainment on this forum, as the other thread on this topic doesn't quite seem adequately sceptical.

http://www.theness.c...gicablog/?p=287

"Brainwave Entrainment and Marketing Pseudoscience

Beware simple answers to complex problems, or easy methods for accomplishing difficult goals. If you combine this maxim with the advice to be skeptical of any claims that are being made in order to sell you something – then ironically you have a simple method (perhaps I should call it an "elegant" method) for protecting yourself from most scams and cons. Actually the application of this combination of maxims can be complex, but what it does do is trigger doubt and skeptical analysis. (And to be clear I am not saying that all simple solutions must be wrong – you should just beware them, meaning your skeptical senses should be tingling.)

The reason this rule of thumb is so useful is because there is a huge market for simple answers. A genuine elegant solution (one that accomplishes more with less) is highly valuable in the marketplace. We are used to technology delivering new easy solutions to previously difficult tasks. While most improvements are incremental, there are occasional breakthroughs that transform our lives.

Therefore we are very receptive to new technology products that promise to improve our lives, or solve previously difficult problems, because of some new scientific or technological advance. This has created, in a sense, a marketplace of consumers that expect to be dazzled with technobabble they don't understand, backed by assurances of legitimacy by the citing of research and association with professionals or professional institutions, and offering significant benefits. We are all, in a sense, waiting for that next product to improve our lives, and many of us like to feel we are on the cutting edge – getting an advantage over others by being savvy early adopters.

Just as nature abhors a vacuum, such marketplaces long to be filled. They virtually suck in con artists and scammers who will fill the demand with cheap knock-offs, like 20 dollar Gucci handbags or "C-mega" watches. And so pseudoscientific claims fill the demand for genuine scientific breakthroughs.

The Neuro Programmer 2 is as good an example of this as any. Here is what is claimed for the device:

The Neuro-Programmer 2 (NP2) is an innovative software application for the PC, built to help you achieve rapid and long lasting personal change. NP2 stimulates Brainwaves while using Hypnosis, NLP and other Psychological techniques to help you transform your mind and enhance your mental abilities.

Using a unique approach that combines the best methods from many different fields, the Neuro-Programmer 2 is an effort-free software application with unlimited potential and broad capabilities. Although it is incredibly simple to use, it remains the most effective self-help tool on the market today. Using NP2 is the single best way to achieve rapid and long lasting personal change.

When neurologists first began to measure the brain's response to stimuli, it was found that if light and sound stimuli were precisely timed to the electrical activity of the brain, brainwave patterns could actually be altered. In turn, the mental state of a person could reliably be changed.

OK – so some of this is pretty common marketing hype. Consumers have become almost numb to such hyperbole. But still we see some of the common – almost ubiquitous – elements of pseudoscientific scams. The company claims that the device is "effort-free", that the results are "rapid and long-lasting," that it is the "most effective" method of its kind, and that it is useful for a broad range of applications (hey, why limit the market). I am used to such hype about dishwashing detergent, but find it intolerable when applied to a pseudoscientific device with medical applications.

What about the scientific claims made for this device – brainwave entrainment? This is a real phenomenon, which makes it a useful tool for a pseudoscientific product, but there is no evidence to support such claims being made for it.

In order to understand brainwave entrainment you first have to understand something about brain waves and electroencephalograms (EEG). Neurons are cells that communicate with each other through electrical conduction. When a neuron fires it creates a small electrical and magnetic field. These fields are far too small to measure by placing electrodes on the scalp, or even on the surface of the brain. The only reason we can detect the electrical fields of the brain is because many neurons are firing together – in synchrony. All brain waves that are measured by an EEG, therefore, represent a large group of neurons firing together.

When we are mentally active various groups of neurons will be firing and the EEG will look like a jumble of different waves at different frequencies. When we are in a relaxed state, however, our brains settle into a steady rhythm – when fully awake this is the alpha rhythm, which as a frequency of 8-12 hz and other recognizable features. When drowsy our brainwaves slow to the theta range, 6-7hz, and when in deep sleep into the delta range, 4-5hz.

Why and how our brains have these natural rhythms is an interesting question, one not fully answered as yet. What we do know is that deep structures in the brain fire at a regular rate and seem to set the pace for the cortex – synchronizing brainwave activity across the brain.

Entrainment is a phenomenon by which some external sensory stimulation synchronizes brainwaves differently than the native rhythm. The most obvious example of this is photic driving – during an EEG the subject will have a strobe light flashed before them at various frequencies. The purpose of this is to see if it will trigger seizure activity. In many normal subjects the brain wave rhythm in the occipital lobes, which is the visual part of the cortex, will match its frequency to the frequency of the strobe light. This specifically is called photic driving, but the phenomenon in general is called entrainment.

It has since been discovered that various auditory frequencies can also entrain the brain waves, although the relationship is more complex as the frequency of the resultant brainwaves do not necessarily match any particular aspect of the auditory signal.

That is generally where the science ends and the pseudoscience begins. A number of companies and individuals have then extrapolated from the phenomenon of entrainment to claim that altering the brain waves changes the actual functioning of the brain. There is no theoretical or empirical basis for this, however. Entrainment is a temporary effect on the synchronization of neuronal firing – it does not improve or increase brain functioning, it does not change the hardwiring, nor does it cure any neurological disorder. There is no compelling evidence for any effect beyond the period of entrainment itself.

But the notion of changing brain waves is a very appealing one, from a marketing stand point. People can visualize brain waves and we like synchrony. Also, in the computer age, we understand the notion of "programming." We also have been prepped for the future by movies such as The Matrix, where people could master Kung Fu in minutes by simply "downloading" the knowledge. This gives the whole notion a superficial plausibility. But the science just isn't there.

What the Neuro Programmer does (as far as I can tell – access to much of the website requires the purchase of product) is present sound and visuals on the computer screen. The user is meant to passively view and listen to this while their brain is effortlessly programmed to solve whatever problem they are having or improve whatever performance they are interested in.

The Neuro Programmer website, as is typical, is full of testimonials and vague references to research. I tried to track down the research they referenced, but could not find anything published or peer-reviewed by the authors named or on the subjects indicated. For example, they cite one study by Thomas Budzynski, but the only thing published by him that is listed on Pub Med is a small study on biofeedback published in 1969. The 1999 study they reference is not listed. Also – Budzynski has connections to another company – Theta Technologies – which sells similar technology. (The exact nature of his connection is not clear, he was at least a consultant. He is also listed as the director of research for another company, Synchromed, LLC.) This looks like just another in-house worthless study to support the marketing of a product.

(Addendum: A medline search for author Thomas Budzynski resulted in 5 entries – 2 case reports, one review article, and one piece of original research with two citations. These publications are all on biofeedback, none on brainwave entrainment, and the 1999 study is not listed.)

The study itself looked at only 8 subjects. This small size alone makes the conclusions highly dubious. Since it is not published, I cannot see what, if any, controls were in place. There is a second study (which I also could not find) cited that looked at 30 children – again, very small numbers.

The huge problem will all such studies is that there is a clear placebo effect on any kind of mental performance whenever the subject is observed. Do any intervention, then measure performance, and the intervention and measurement are likely to cause an increase in effort and attention which will increase performance. This generic "placebo" effect needs to be factored out of any such study by proper blinding and controls in order for the results to have any meaning at all.

I also did several literature searches just to look for anything published on the neurological effects of brain wave entrainment and found precious little. There is nothing supporting any of the claims being made for the Neuro Programmer or any similar device or technique.

Brain wave entrainment is a real phenomenon and is useful as one method of investigating how the brain works. But there is no evidence, nor any theoretical basis, for any long lasting effect on brain function or that there is any benefit of any kind. Despite this, there is a huge industry of devices that claim to train your brain waves and have a beneficial effect. I wouldn't waste a dime on any such device."

Edited by Thales, 26 September 2009 - 02:29 AM.

#2 castrensis

• 157 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:45 AM

I think this could be safely posted in the iMusic topic as I don't think anyone objects to constructive criticism or healthy skepticism.

The impression I've received from reading the neurologist's analysis of the commercial claims of brainwave entrainment technology manufacturers is that aside from the immediate benefit conferred while using the brainwave entrainment technology there is no established long-term benefit &, admittedly, some of the claims are a bit outrageous. However, one way of understanding how brainwave entrainment technology could confer long-term benefit, or at very least a benefit that extends beyond the use of the brainwave entrainment technology, is to consider that meditation produces brainwave states similar to those that can be attained using brainwave entrainment technology & the benefits of meditation aren't contingent on the persistence of the meditative state but a product of the meditative state. In like manner brainwave entrainment technology could confer benefits seen with meditation such as reduced stress, decreased blood pressure, increased sense of well-being, &c.

Also, if I understand Neurofeedback correctly, inducing a certain brainwave state via entrainment confirmed by monitoring an EEG & then conditioning the person to induce the state without the entrainment has proved successful. In a certain way it could be considered a stepping stone to self-induction of certain brainwave states. Anecdotally, my personal experience with audio/visual brainwave entrainment technology has proved beneficial, although I don't think I'd go so far as to claim it could "super-power" my brain, but it definitely induces certain states of mind during use that I would characterize as beneficial & of utility in certain tasks. With practice & continued use a person could, as I understand it, learn to induce & maintain the brainwave states that are of utility to them.

#3 Thales

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

It seems to me that he is saying something even more critical than that. Not only is there no empirical basis for believing brain wave entrainment causes long term improvements in brain functioning, there also is no such basis for the belief that there are even immediate benefits.

I think this could be safely posted in the iMusic topic as I don't think anyone objects to constructive criticism or healthy skepticism.

The impression I've received from reading the neurologist's analysis of the commercial claims of brainwave entrainment technology manufacturers is that aside from the immediate benefit conferred while using the brainwave entrainment technology there is no established long-term benefit &, admittedly, some of the claims are a bit outrageous. However, one way of understanding how brainwave entrainment technology could confer long-term benefit, or at very least a benefit that extends beyond the use of the brainwave entrainment technology, is to consider that meditation produces brainwave states similar to those that can be attained using brainwave entrainment technology & the benefits of meditation aren't contingent on the persistence of the meditative state but a product of the meditative state. In like manner brainwave entrainment technology could confer benefits seen with meditation such as reduced stress, decreased blood pressure, increased sense of well-being, &c.

Also, if I understand Neurofeedback correctly, inducing a certain brainwave state via entrainment confirmed by monitoring an EEG & then conditioning the person to induce the state without the entrainment has proved successful. In a certain way it could be considered a stepping stone to self-induction of certain brainwave states. Anecdotally, my personal experience with audio/visual brainwave entrainment technology has proved beneficial, although I don't think I'd go so far as to claim it could "super-power" my brain, but it definitely induces certain states of mind during use that I would characterize as beneficial & of utility in certain tasks. With practice & continued use a person could, as I understand it, learn to induce & maintain the brainwave states that are of utility to them.

Edited by Thales, 26 September 2009 - 07:09 AM.

#4 Algear Linebra

• 27 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

I don't have time to read the entire thread, but i want to give my 5 cents on this i-music crap..

I listened to some classical pieces that were "I-music enhanced", and being a pro electronic musician for 8 yrs, and now aiming to become an audio DSP-programmer, i could not help noticing that the "enhancement" was merely an amplitude modulation, i guess the frequency of the mod correlates to the brainwave freq you want to induce/amplify. Anyhow, you dont need any fancy program to do this, any kid with the smallest coding skills could write a winamp plugin that does this in realtime on any sound you play.

#5 castrensis

• 157 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

It seems to me that he is saying something even more critical than that. Not only is there no empirical basis for believing brain wave entrainment causes long term improvements in brain functioning, there also is no such basis for the belief that there are even immediate benefits.

But, as he stated in his article:

There is no compelling evidence for any effect beyond the period of entrainment itself.

So there's obviously an effect on brainwave synchrony during entrainment & entrainment is proven effective with photic stimulation, but we're less certain about the effects of binaural beats on brainwave synchrony.

Our neurologist friend also states:

When we are in a relaxed state, however, our brains settle into a steady rhythm – when fully awake this is the alpha rhythm, which as a frequency of 8-12 hz and other recognizable features. When drowsy our brainwaves slow to the theta range, 6-7hz, and when in deep sleep into the delta range, 4-5hz.

Other resources expand significantly on the characteristics of these brainwave states, but if we're to restrict our discussion to this article we can at least agree that brain wave synchrony occurs during states of relaxation. If this brainwave synchrony is present in relaxed states & has been documented in meditative states then perhaps induction of brain wave synchrony can produce these states. A cursory review of the literature shows a significant deficit in good information regarding the use of brainwave entrainment technologies or even what their effect may be.

The use of a device that utilizes both a visual & auditory stimulus, particularly the former, seems to be the only proven method of entrainment, the effects of which are not well studied. However, it would appear that entrainment is something that the end-user could experiment with to determine either the utility or uselessness without harm - unless you're epileptic.

#6 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

The main issue i have with both Neuroprogrammer & iMusic is that the research is usually based on neurofeedback and it extrapolates the term "entrainment" to be similar to the entrainment done using the music. It never points to the fact that one is through an actual feedback mechanism (Neurofeedback) that allows you a bit of knowledge as to current state while the music entrainment is through the EEG following that you spoke of (in a sense... a level of objectivity in what otherwise is a very subjective matter). I believe that it's using research completely unrelated to sell its product.

iMusic however does have a couple studies to its name, which i had linked to in the topic regarding BrainAmp. Neuroprogrammer does as well, though you have to look deep into the studies to make sure they're talking about photonic and/or auditory stimulation rather than brainwave entrainment.

However, having myself played around with the software, I have noticed a significant difference in how my mind worked before trying the software and after. I cannot imagine it's anywhere near as effective as Neurofeedback, but comparing the costs it's obvious why people would choose brainwave entrainment through a software or music cd over going to a trained professional and paying the cost of treatments.

Personally I don't know what to make of the Neurofeedback field, I had gone to a couple sessions but never pursued it with great vigor. I also know there are discrepancies between treatment options; SMR or Alpha training. Then usually containing some abstraction in the form of a game that behaves in correlation to how well you're attaining the desired "brainwave".

Edited by mentatpsi, 03 October 2009 - 09:27 PM.

#7 Declmem

• 315 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:40 PM

Actually there are many studies on brainwave entrainment, and all of them on humans. They're just hard to find because of the confusing terminology used for it. I would venture to say that there is probably more research on this stuff then there is on many of the supplements and substances we use here.

That said, the studies on BWE have used small numbers of people thus far. Again, this is not unlike 99% of the substances we experiment with here on this forum on a daily basis. How many times have we seen a new study on rats with n=8 posted here and then everyone wants to try the supplement out? :p

Like many of the other posters here who have tried it, I found it to be beneficial. Personally I use it for relaxation. As some may know, I'm an engineer for EEG machines, and can confirm that it does at least register on the EEG, and anecdotally it does help me.

A while ago Dr. Tina Huang, from Johns Hopkins (disclaimer: employed by Transparent), released a meta-study review of the brainwave entrainment literature out there. Both positive and negative studies were analyzed. I snagged it off the journal website before they took it down, so here it is attached.

Also if you look at the link to Novella's article and scroll down there's a post by David Siever. I thought I would post some of his research as well:

http://www.mindalive...PDFarticles.htm
http://www.mindalive.com/3_1.htm
http://www.mindalive.com/3_0.htm

All in all, I'd say there's enough research to justify at least giving it a shot for yourself, as long as its free. The software mentioned has a free trial version. And hell, there are other completely free programs on the market that do similar things. But I completely understand the skepticism of Novella and others. I don't know how many supplements I've tried with dozens of studies behind them with n=1000+ that still didn't do crap for me. Bottom line, you have to try everything out for yourself. :p

Attached Files

Edited by Declmem, 04 October 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#8 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

Awesome find. I wasn't aware that the parietal lobe was part of the mix as well, as stated in the pdf attachment. Thanks for the link ;).

#9 dumbdumb

• 115 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:47 AM

I've given a few of these things a listen too, and the mixing/effects that they subject the music to don't put me into a "relaxed state" - I'm just constantly distracted by the weird, artificial sound of the music.

I get much more relaxation by spinning some well-pressed and thoroughly cleaned vinyl records.

#10 Phreak

• 116 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

I recently got the "Intelligence Suite" from iMusic and I reckon it's helped. I have actively decided NOT to read the literature that de-bunks it as it seems to work for me. Whether this is merely because I am listening to classical music as I work - I don't know. I do know, however, that my general reading and comprehension of what I am reading has been augmented when listening to iMusic PeakRead, IvyFocus or ThinkFast, and I don't see the point in ruining a positive effect I am getting, even if it is a placebo. After all, if the placebo is working then why try and pick holes in it. Like Declmem said, "...at least give it a shot", especially if you can get it for free. It may just be because it relaxes you; it may be that the modulating amplitudes do actually have some personal effect, albeit small. It's worth a try and - at the very least - the music is enjoyable to listen to and not distracting whatsoever when attempting to work :-D

#11 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

I recently got the "Intelligence Suite" from iMusic and I reckon it's helped. I have actively decided NOT to read the literature that de-bunks it as it seems to work for me. Whether this is merely because I am listening to classical music as I work - I don't know. I do know, however, that my general reading and comprehension of what I am reading has been augmented when listening to iMusic PeakRead, IvyFocus or ThinkFast, and I don't see the point in ruining a positive effect I am getting, even if it is a placebo. After all, if the placebo is working then why try and pick holes in it. Like Declmem said, "...at least give it a shot", especially if you can get it for free. It may just be because it relaxes you; it may be that the modulating amplitudes do actually have some personal effect, albeit small. It's worth a try and - at the very least - the music is enjoyable to listen to and not distracting whatsoever when attempting to work :-D

Must say overall I agree. If it is a placebo effect, then the expense isn't that great since it's a one time fee. There are a lot of "nootropics" out there which one has to pay for a continuous supply, and the expense does build up...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users