Photo
- - - - -

"Facing" Cryonics - Total: 47

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 jonano

• 472 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:16 AM

Cryonics is evolving as a technology, in the begining it was difficult to get funding and some people have been unfrozen. Now since the 1980s no one have been unfrozen. Today some research are done on brains damage using cryonics. Crackphone (a device which determines cracking temperature and degree of cracking) have been invented. New cryo-protectant have been discovered.

Vitrification is now possible for the brain and soon for the whole body. I expect to see more improvement and research into cryonics which is a true technology. Like every technology it does help people to get a work, to do something in life and to take care of it. It`s also a good way to push research on anti-aging. If somebody gave his/her body to science I dont see why we should not let Alcor and cryonicists do their job.

It's a real job to maintain bodies and it gives money to people in the sametime. I expect to see this industry becoming more efficient, bigger and more powerful around the world. With the internet, we have a better chance to discover cryonics which has been for me a true revelation.

If Alcor wins, it will give to humanity a better chance to survice in this wild nature, it will give us a chance to evolve longer and continue natural selection. I invite you to draw a tatoo on your belly saying: Alcor will win.

It's in an attemp to transport people to the future, where technology can repair what's wrong with them and help them to continue their life.

Posted Image
Jon
The NanoAging Institute
http://www.nanoaging.com

#32 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 26 April 2004 - 04:43 PM

I am not a member of Alcor or any cryogenics institute but I support wholeheartedly their aims and research. As a matter of fact I wish we could move faster and farther in this technological avenue so as to go beyond the current legal acrobatics and allow people to be suspended prior to total physical death as I suspect it will enhance the likelihood of successful reanimation.

I also see it as pointless in many cases of extreme debilitating and agonizing degenerative disease to force a patient to endure complete decay of their bodies once they have come to peace with themselves as to the inevitability of death by inaction or to deny them the 'hope' they might desire by taking this step.

I am not a "believer" but I think there are good reasons to promote cryogenics in spite of social objections and the many significant technological obstacles to be overcome.

Posted Image
Kenneth X. Sills
a.k.a Lazarus Long
Imminst Co-Director

Edited by Lazarus Long, 11 May 2004 - 12:31 PM.

#33 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 05:28 AM

I support the work of cryonics providers and of cryonics as a viable field with strong scientific justifications. Though I am currently not a member of any cryonics institution, I will gladly become one, as soon as they extend their services into the European Union.

You can hear the Freedom of Choice being mentioned all the time in the Western world. Let us have our Freedom of Choice then, if we want to choose cryonics.

Posted Image
Tony Pustovrh
Student of Political Sciences
Ljubljana, Slovenia, European Union.

#34 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:52 PM

The liberty to pursue individual goals of happiness requires that people be allowed to make choices which do not restrict the equal liberty of others. The more such choices are available, the more true freedom people have. It is a fact of reality that any choice can lead to either benefit or harm for the human making it. This is as true of buying a car or seeing a physician as it is for purchasing cryonics services. As long as those who provide any kind of service do not use force or fraud, their services increase the choices available to all people and should not be restricted in any manner.

Independently of the other - before even knowing one another - we each chose cryonics as the alternative to burial or cremation when legal death occurs. There is not a time that either of us can imagine not wanting to live more, experiencing all the wonders of reality while being responsible for our individual actions. Cryonics may make it possible for the two of us to experience the far future after the life-extension measures we employ have ceased to keep deterioration and death at bay. It is our choice and we make it knowing that there are no guarantees, but that the alternatives are surely a cessation of being.

Posted Image
Paul Wakfer &
Kitty Antonik Wakfer

MoreLife for the rational - http://morelife.org
Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality
The Self-Sovereign Individual Project - http://selfsip.org
Rational freedom by self-sovereignty & social contracting

#35 shawn314

• 18 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

I support cryonics, not to extend the life of our mental creation called 'ego', nor out of fear of death, but to extend our consciousness of God and to give us more time and opportunities for expanding our consciousness.

Posted Image
Shawn Mikula
neuroscientist
http://mind-brain.com

#36 Amorphis

• 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:46 PM

I suport Alcor becouse I WANT TO LIVE FOREVER.

Posted Image
Daniel-Alexandru Popescu
Student at Aerospace Engeneering
Bucharest, Romania

#37 Cryonica

• 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:21 AM

:) For Cryonics to succeed three areas of science need to progress: molecular cell biology allowing for extensive cell and organ repair and regeneration; nanotechnology allowing you to reach inside the cell to repair it and look after it; computer science allowing you to store a huge amount of data since cells are huge collections of molecules and chemical reactions. Since all these three areas are progressing very rapidly there is no reason to think of Cryonics as unfeasible. Quite the contrary it is highly IMPROBABLE that Cryonics would NOT work since this would mean that there are molecules in the cell beyond repair however far science will progress.

The only cell you could not conceivably repair is one in which all structure and therefore information has broken down, one in a state of absolute disorder with no trace left of its original configuration. The very purpose of biostasis - preserving the structure of cells at the time of legal death of the body - is to prevent just that. It is therefore naïve to speculate about the probability that Cryonics will or will not work, or to think of it as something with a very low probability to work. Given the state of science today, the probability that Cryonics will work is extremely high; if it doesn't work it will not be because of intrinsic lack of feasibility but because the necessary precautions had not been taken (ie your body is frozen too long after death) or because of legal and administrative problems.

Staying alive is all the more important now that Humanity is at last emerging from the Stone Age cave. Until now we have had to be content with whatever crumb Nature has condescended to give us: a short-lived ugly body with weak perceptual organs and a lousy brain with at best some semblance of a talent. A cruel environment beyond our control filled with predators of all sorts has been our habitat. We have had to work hard for everything we have needed and wanted, the birth of children we have not designed has been painful and preceeded by an uncomfortable pregnancy, and we have all had to come to terms with our own death.

Now we can look forward to an easy and pleasant life in which aging, illness, death, pain and work are things of the past. We will be able to design our own bodies, our own children, and give ourselves and them any talent we fancy. Our planet will be clean and safe, and we will create virtual environments suited to each one of us, and terraform other places to live in. I am much looking forward to a planet with a skyscape a little more interesting than just a sun and one bleak and tiny moon.

If you don't want to miss being human when at last it becomes nice to be one, then Cryonics is for you because, far from being the end, the day you are frozen will be the mere beginning of a REALLY NICE LONG life.

Posted Image
Catarina Lamm
Oxford, England

#38 Ben Hijink

• 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:35 AM

Many excellent arguments have been made on this list.

I simply reiterate the crucial message others have conveyed: the state ought not interfere with the choice people make to attempt to preserve their own lives. If this process will prove successful - and it seems highly likely that it will, then to interfere with a patient who has clearly expressed a clear intent to undergo the procedure and signed relevant contracts amounts to reckless endangerment or state homocide, depending on the effects of such interference.

Legislatures must be forward-thinking at this time of transition. Within a century or less the benefits of indefinite healthy lifespans should be available to all. Choices made today will be judged by the people alive tomorrow. I would ask elected officials not give cause for bitterness by unwarranted interference in the life-and-death decisions that people are presently making, but rather respect their rights to preserve their bodies as they so choose.

My sentiments are with Kenneth X. Sills on the matter of choice regarding early preservation for people with severe degenerative illnesses, though I realize such freedom seems predicated on the recognition that citizens should at least have the right to end their own lives when the lives are predominated by physical suffering that cannot be alleviated or reduced to a manageable level that allows for relatively normal functioning.

Posted Image

• Lurker

Posted 23 May 2004 - 06:53 AM

Our current neuroscientific model of cognition and memory suggests that it is based on the spatial pattern of neural connections in discrete regions of the brain. Each individual's unique pattern is dynamically modulated as a function of inheritance and environment. Thus, notwithstanding any vitalist perpectives, the essence of each individual's memory and behavior resides in the unique neural pattern and the regulation of that neural pattern based on genetic and environmental developmental influences.

Anyone with a reasonable scientific grounding can determine the validty of the above for themselves. Having done so, and in parallel being informed of the technology that enables the preservation of cellular material via the stasis of the inevitable various degradative effects due to trauma, aging or death, it would be absurd not to preserve one's self until a time such that our undestanding of cellular processes and means of manipulation of the same has advanced to a degree where the information in the preserved material can be accessed to repair a preserved brain.

The cryopreservation of simple biologic material, including multi-celled human embryos that by merit of IVF technology today exist as healthy normal human beings, has demonstrated that it is a viable method for biostasis. Admittedly, in more complex biological systems the cryopreservation process in its present implementation has been shown to induce irreparable damage to a significant proportion of cells such that the tissue or organism is no longer able to function in a life sustaining manner. However, the core premise is that in due course technology will be sufficiently advanced to enable repair to be effected on a cellular level, means that the damage caused by the cryopreservation process will be repairable and that the cryopreserved brain tissue will be viable and able to function with all existing neural patterning intact. Theoretically, the memories and personality of the brain - the person - would thus be as recoverable as that of a someone awakening from a long term comatose condition.

It is without a doubt, an enormously challenging thought, after thousands of years of cultural programming, that death can be treated as just like any other medical condition. That a corpse thawed after cryopreservation can return to life. It is inevitable that many will resist the idea until very hard evidence is presented. That, however, should not preclude those who wish to embark upon this journey based on a vision that many others like them, during different times of history had, were prosecuted for, but were ultimately vindicated. Undoubtably those who attempt to legislate against the cryonics movement will find their place in history in the same category as the rest of the narrow-minded, progress-stifling and simply scared individuals that have hampered the progress of humanity since time immemorial.

At the end of the day it is a question of education, and those of us in the scientific industry are obligated to foster the requisite knowledge and clarify it from the abounding pseudo-science. It is also a question of funding, and those that have been industrious or fortunate enough to amass sufficient wealth should look towards investing it in legitimate foundations. Finally it is a question of integrity, because in fledgling movements such as cryonics it only takes a very few frauds to destroy the intention and reputation of many, so that we must be compelled to ensure that we conduct ourselves with the highest ethical standards and reject any who see this as a profiteering vehicle.

As a professional scientist, as a father, husband and son, and most importantly as a human being I wholeheartedly support and endorse any method that allows for the preservation of the unique three-dimensional pattern of neural network that comprises the CNS as well as the DNA, irrespective of the degree of cellular damage (so long as the pattern remains intact).

Posted Image
Harold Brenner
Athens, Greece

#40 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:11 AM

Death is not a topic that people like to think about, and that is just as true of healthy life extension advocates as anyone else. We have to recognise, however, that the future of healthy life extension (regenerative medicine, stem cell therapies, understanding the biochemical processes of aging, and nanomedicine, to name a few fields) will not arrive soon enough to benefit everyone. Many people are too old, or suffer from other conditions that will kill them before cures can be developed. This is an unpleasant reality that we must face.

Do we just write these people off and forge ahead regardless? Of course not. Instead, we turn to the science and business of cryonics, a serious effort to solve this problem that has been underway since the early 1970s.

Cryonics is the only option for life extension open to many older and seriously ill people: those who cannot wait for the promised therapies of the next few decades. It is the science of placing humans and animals into a low-temperature, biologically unchanging state immediately after clinical death, with the expectation that advances in medical technology may eventually enable full restoration to life and health. A small industry of cryonics providers exists to freeze your body on death, in the hopes that future scientists (most likely using nanotechnology and nanomedicine) will be able to revive and repair you.

The practice of cryonics is an ongoing medical experiment with an unknown chance of success. Responsible cryonicists understand that cryonic suspension is an educated gamble. The chances are certainly better than zero, however, and as one wag noted, "the control group in this experiment isn't doing so well." By this, he was referring to the vast number of people who are cremated, buried or otherwise interred. The chances of any plausible future science restoring them is zero. Cryonic suspension is, after all, only the second worst thing that can happen to you.

Cryonics, in short, is an ethical responsibility, just like the medical search for cures. We cannot turn away from those who will die too soon to benefit from the future of medicine - and we cannot allow politicians to destroy the chance (however small) of a longer, healthier future for those who are prepared to take this chance.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org

Attached Files

#41 rudi

• 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:36 PM

I have been proudly signed as a cryonicist with ALCOR since 1994. Cryonics is the most rational thing a human being can do about the current state of technology and medicine as it relates to life extension. The life extension breakthroughs are coming, but signing up for cryonics NOW whatever your age is the best activity to proactively place yourself on the "Experimental" side of the experiment, not the "control" side which is almost certainly nonexistence.

As the leading writer of life insurance to fund cryonic suspension in the world, I am pleased to report a VERY important element regarding cryonics signups. Through the "magic" of life insurance, Cryonics is affordable to almost everyone reading these words on a computer. Signing up can be a fun, enjoyable, and affordable process. And the psychological rewards are tremendous!

Posted Image

Rudi Hoffman CFP CLU
Port Orange, FL

rudicfp@aol.com
http://www.rudihoffman.com
member World Transhumanist Association
member ALCOR
member Extropy Institute
Senior Associate Foresight Institute
member Immortalist Institute

#42 eniktin

• 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:21 AM

America is the most powerful nation on earth. Other nations look up to us. Let us set an example of flexibility, not narrow-mindedness. I support Cryonics.

Mr. Lev Kamensky
Pearland, Texas

Attached Files

• Attached File  lev2.jpg   19.54KB   0 downloads

#43 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:47 PM

I'm all for it, even if I'm not a member.
It's wrong to oppose free choice.

Posted Image
Jen

#44 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:05 AM

As for my message:
I am thinking of changing my major after two years of school focusing
on Philosophy to biology and medicine so that I might work at one of
the cryonics research facilities that I've recently heard about. This
is a very serious matter to me, and something I look forward to spend
my life working on. Support for this type of research and facility can
bring many great things to America and humanity. I hope that after
getting through all my classes and graduating that there will be more
facilities like this, and that one day I can head one up, maybe in
Florida. That's my dream.

Anthony Nelson Schmidt
Dekalb, Illinois
(i do not have a homepage for myself, but why not let you know about
the fine organization I am a part of at Northern Illinois University -
http://www.chisigmatau.com/~niu/ - This is the site for my fraternity,
Chi Sigma Tau, and you can consider this my homepage until anything
else comes up)

Attached Files

#45 markm

• Guest Recorder
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:45 PM

Cryonics is my only shot at living a true life. Don't let close-mindedness and backwards thinking hold us back.

I support cryonics. Mark McAllister, Sudbury ON, Canada

Attached Files

#46 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:42 PM

Do we have to be a member to submit our pic? I'd like to submit it because I think exploring Cryonics/Cryogenics is a great idea.

#47 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

Hi Tyciol... as a basic member, please feel free to submit a statement and picture.

#48 zerowave

• 42 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

What ever happened with this? Is this issue passed?

Edited by halcyon, 21 April 2006 - 09:19 PM.

#49 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

The fight was successful. Serious questions arose in the Senate Commerce Committee, leading to withdrawl of the bill by its sponsor.

http://www.alcor.org...on20040401.html

---BrianW

#50 wall

• 55 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:44 AM

I can not believe there are people out there trying to shut down cryonics. What on earth makes them think that they have any right to tell us what we can and can not do with our bodys after we die. This is an outrage, whatever happened to freedom?

Posted Image

- Brian Guiney
Minneapolis, MN

#51 T.Theodorus Ibrahim

• 10 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

I can not believe there are people out there trying to shut down cryonics.  What on earth makes them think that they have any right to tell us what we can and can not do with our bodys after we die.  This is an outrage, whatever happened to freedom? 

- Brian Guiney
Minneapolis, MN

Well said Brian :) And I could add, what makes them think that they have any right to tell us what we can and can not do with our bodies before we die as well, for it is prior to the time one truly dies (which is some time after declartion of clinical death) that cryonics is ideally practiced.

#52 razor

• 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

I am journalism student in the Los Angeles area and am producing a short feature story about the process of cryonics.

If any of you are planning to utilize cryonics and you live in the LA area AND you'd like to be a part of my story please contact me in this forum and I can give you further communication details.

I would like to possibly chat with you about your decision to someday undergo cryonics on camera. The story has the potential to be aired on our school television show which airs throughout LA as well. Thank you for your time.

#53 drus

• 278 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

I absolutely and fully support cryonics.

"Destiny belongs to those with the vision to follow their dreams, the courage to follow their heart, and the balls to live by their convictions!" - Me

Andrew Simpson
ONTARIO, CANADA

Edited by drus, 20 February 2007 - 09:52 PM.

#54 AaronCW

• Guest, F@H
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:56 AM

I can not believe there are people out there trying to shut down cryonics.  What on earth makes them think that they have any right to tell us what we can and can not do with our bodys after we die.  This is an outrage, whatever happened to freedom?

What causes them to think that is not on this earth.

I would go further to argue that no one has the right to tell anyone (except incarcerated criminals) what they can and cannot do with their bodies while they are living. One of the biggest barriers to successful cryonic suspensions (once the technology is perfected) is the criminal ban on suicide. A person may take their lives whether it is legal or not under almost any other circumstances than under the supervised care of a physician. If a person that was terminally ill, or just a gung-ho adventure seeker with nothing better to do, wanted to legally terminate their lives in order to be cryonically suspended than it could be done in such a manner that would greatly increase the likelyhood of a successful suspension.

Realistically what is more likely is that it will become increasingly obvious over time (more research and public exposure) that a suspended person is not dead, and therefore the law will not require a person to be declared legally dead before undergoing the procedure.

I fully support the cryonics endeavor, and hope to become a member of some leading cryonics provider when I have the funds to do so.

Posted Image

- Aaron Ward
Chicago, IL.

#55 forevertop

• 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

I support cryonics as a valid scientific field.  I also support the efforts of so many scientist, visionaries and dreamers to pursue a cause that is not only dear to every individual but is at the heart of all our “freedoms” – the right to life.  The right that every person has to decide how best one will continue one’s existence –as long as that pursuit does not infringe or harm another.  The right to live and fight for survival without the burden of government intervention –the kind of intervention that would not only stifle one’s ability to exist in the future but would in essence cease that opportunity all together.  Yes - science, research and technology require some degree of regulation in order to safeguard the public welfare and I agree oversight is needed in all fields including cryonics.  I also agree in the individual’s right to make educated and conscientious choices about how best to reach the next century. 

Posted Image
Susan Fonseca-Klein (and Luna)
Birmingham, AL

Dear Lady: I agree with your well-balanced position fully and wish you the very best, madam.

#56 brandonreinhart

• 67 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

I am now a funded member of Alcor!

Brandon Reinhart
Austin, TX

http://s25.photobuck...BrandonHelm.jpg

I need to take a more up to date picture :)

#57 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

Brandon Congratulations! I guess that means that I'll be seeing you someday at a Cryonics meeting (I live in Austin ;) )

I'm a member of Alcor. I support Alcor, and C.I. !

I wrote the book '21st Century Kids' for all Earth kids of now--to interest them in Cryonics and all sorts of possibilities we humans have for our future... (and I love hearing what people think about it--or how it made them think...)

I know some cryonicists who will argue that cryonics will never work and all the ways it won't--yet they are still cronicists, because after all it Is a Chance :)

For me, I've adopted more of a 'seven generations philosophy' after becoming a cryonicist in my 20's I look way down the road... and see what I can do now to help create a better future.

We all help in some ways :)

Shannon Vyff

Mprize 300 member--helping to end age related degeneration.

Co-chair and Secretary of the Children's Programming Committee at The First Unitarian Universalist Church of Austin.

Annual donator to Save The Children, Heifer Foundation, Human Rights Watch, Union of Concerned Scientists, World Future Society, National Wild Life Federation, Safe Place Austin, Mother Jones, and many other Non-Profits.

La Leche League Leader of the North Austin/Round Rock Day Group. (helping mothers learn about the benefits of breast-feeding)

Mother of three young children, that I take on many trips--take to many documentaries, and am raising as Earth Citizens--with as much awareness as possible before they are launched into adulthood...

Life is fun--and busy--never enough time to get all the things we want to do, done! (I for one love meeting other cronicists, very interesting people! --and thinking that someday I just might get 'enough time' to help with many of the problems in the world that I feel currently unable to affect ;) )

#58 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:49 PM

Alcor is a pioneering endeavor, which stems from our innate desire to keep on living; any legislation that either harms or impedes the progress of Alcor (or any other reputable cryonics company) is both hypocritical, and cruel.

I fully support Alcor, and I plan on signing up myself once I reach a stable financial status.

Posted Image
Joseph Henry
Murfreesboro, TN

#59 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:06 AM

- Patrice & Ali

Attached Files

#60 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the beautiful picture of Patrice--she is an amazing woman.. such a caring mother, and committed to educating children in her school, whom I'm honored to have met and excited she will be going over the futurist ideas in my book with some of her older students soon! I hope to know her for many years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users