Photo
- - - - -

DMAE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

This might have been already presented, however I feel is it pertinent to present anyways. At best, I think it sums up the effects of DMAE rather nicely.

The psychophysiological model of provoking different emotional states by watching film excerpts with various emotional contents was used to characterize drug action in 80 subjects (male/female=50%) with threshold emotional disturbance within a randomized, group-parallel, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Analyzing the brain's electrical reaction during presentation of 5 videoclips of 7 min duration followed by 3 minutes pause revealed a content specific representation of topographical frequency changes. This procedure was repeated after 6 and 12 weeks of daily intake of a vitamin-mineral drug combination containing dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) (Vitagerin Geistlich N) or placebo. Subjects taking the active drug for 3 months developed significant less theta and alpha1 power in sensomotoric areas of the cortex. The grade of change and statistical significance was dependend on the content of the excerpt, but the pattern of changes in general remained the same. Since decreases in theta and alpha1 electrical power have been associated with increased vigilance and attention, subjects taking the drug combination obviously were more active and felt better. - Analysis of the emotional change in mood profile as induced by the TV session was achieved by completing two different quenstionaires (POMS and Bf-S). Both scores revealed a better mood for the active drug group thus corroborating the results from EEG analysis. Therefore the vitamine-mineral drug combination containing DMAE can be interpreted to induce a psychophysiological state of better feeling of wellbeing on both levels of analysis mood and electrical pattern of brain activity in subjects suffering from borderline emotional disturbance.

Source: Stimulant Effect of 2-Dimethylaminoethanol—Possible Precursor of Brain Acetylcholine

#2 acantelopepope

• 221 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:14 AM

This might have been already presented, however I feel is it pertinent to present anyways. At best, I think it sums up the effects of DMAE rather nicely.

The psychophysiological model of provoking different emotional states by watching film excerpts with various emotional contents was used to characterize drug action in 80 subjects (male/female=50%) with threshold emotional disturbance within a randomized, group-parallel, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Analyzing the brain's electrical reaction during presentation of 5 videoclips of 7 min duration followed by 3 minutes pause revealed a content specific representation of topographical frequency changes. This procedure was repeated after 6 and 12 weeks of daily intake of a vitamin-mineral drug combination containing dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) (Vitagerin Geistlich N) or placebo. Subjects taking the active drug for 3 months developed significant less theta and alpha1 power in sensomotoric areas of the cortex. The grade of change and statistical significance was dependend on the content of the excerpt, but the pattern of changes in general remained the same. Since decreases in theta and alpha1 electrical power have been associated with increased vigilance and attention, subjects taking the drug combination obviously were more active and felt better. - Analysis of the emotional change in mood profile as induced by the TV session was achieved by completing two different quenstionaires (POMS and Bf-S). Both scores revealed a better mood for the active drug group thus corroborating the results from EEG analysis. Therefore the vitamine-mineral drug combination containing DMAE can be interpreted to induce a psychophysiological state of better feeling of wellbeing on both levels of analysis mood and electrical pattern of brain activity in subjects suffering from borderline emotional disturbance.

Source: Stimulant Effect of 2-Dimethylaminoethanol—Possible Precursor of Brain Acetylcholine

This is encouraging, although the study was done in 1957. Someone remind me what the main argument against DMAE is? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most ImmInst members believed DMAE was no good.

Personally, I started using DMAE 100mg about 4 years ago... and have gradually gotten up to about 2-3 grams per day, as I feel a definite tolerance at a lower dose. This was (and is) a little disturbing to me, so I tried to stop using DMAE for awhile. This lasted about a month, and during that time I found that my thoughts were scattered, I was less emotionally stable, and I had a very hard time focusing. So I started taking it again, and felt better with the first dose.

It does make me worry though, that I have to take much more DMAE to get the same effect, and that without taking 2-3 grams per day, I don't feel like myself.

Edited by acantelopepope, 05 October 2009 - 01:14 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 dachshund

• 98 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:31 AM

Do you mean 2 to 3 grams of DMAE Bitartrate powder (37% DMAE) or are you taking 8 to 12 of those 250 mg DMAE as bitartrate capsules per day. I like DMAE, but have never noticed a tolerance to it. I don't take it every day and when I do it's as one or two 250 mg DMAE as bitartrate capsules (NOW brand). Any more than that and I notice a distinctive fish taste, my wife has even commented that my breath has a fish odor, that's enough right there not to take too much. Do you notice this?? Do some people metabolize DMAE differently?

Interestingly, I had noticed one product (250 mg DMAE capsules) Vitamin Research Products that the instructions recommend start with 3-6 capsules daily in divided doses & gradually increase to 6-12 capsules daily. If I took that much I'd probably grow gills.

I do notice that it has a positive effect on my mental sharpness and mood which I appreciate.

#4 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

Well one of the issues with DMAE is the ambigious longetivity effects, in one study it showed an increase while in a study regarding Quails it showed a decrease. Personally it seems silly to relate all life in an experiment, the reaction of one animal isn't synonymous with all life. I'll write more later, but in class currently.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 acantelopepope

• 221 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:30 AM

Do you mean 2 to 3 grams of DMAE Bitartrate powder (37% DMAE) or are you taking 8 to 12 of those 250 mg DMAE as bitartrate capsules per day. I like DMAE, but have never noticed a tolerance to it. I don't take it every day and when I do it's as one or two 250 mg DMAE as bitartrate capsules (NOW brand). Any more than that and I notice a distinctive fish taste, my wife has even commented that my breath has a fish odor, that's enough right there not to take too much. Do you notice this?? Do some people metabolize DMAE differently?

Interestingly, I had noticed one product (250 mg DMAE capsules) Vitamin Research Products that the instructions recommend start with 3-6 capsules daily in divided doses & gradually increase to 6-12 capsules daily. If I took that much I'd probably grow gills.

I do notice that it has a positive effect on my mental sharpness and mood which I appreciate.

I actually take 5-7 grams DMAE Bitartrate, which amounts to a third of that, or 1.6-2.3 grams, daily, in addition to 1-2 grams Centrophenoxine.

I have never noticed any "fishiness", so maybe people do metabolize DMAE differently. I also didn't notice any fishiness when using high amounts of Choline.

Tolerance to DMAE is fairly well established, but I've never heard why it happens. Would anyone venture so far as to say that DMAE dependence is possible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users