Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

http://uwaging.org/g...gene.php?id=419
;)

#2 ultranaut

• 130 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

;)

It's been discussed before. No idea why deprenyl shortened the lifespan of those rats but to my knowledge there hasn't been any other evidence for deprenyl having this effect. I recall reading that lowered MAOB has been shown to increase lifespan in general. Unless someone can prove deprenyl is somehow toxic in "normal" doseages I don't see how it could negatively effect human lifespan.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 medievil

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

;)

It's been discussed before. No idea why deprenyl shortened the lifespan of those rats but to my knowledge there hasn't been any other evidence for deprenyl having this effect. I recall reading that lowered MAOB has been shown to increase lifespan in general. Unless someone can prove deprenyl is somehow toxic in "normal" doseages I don't see how it could negatively effect human lifespan.

If it turns out to decrease lifespan of humans that still wouldnt mean it is toxic, just that the changes it causes arent any good long term.

In my opinion it causes changes that are very tricky because they have the potential to extend or either shorten lifespan.

I dont trust deprenyl and will stay away from it untill we know more.

#4 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

;)

If it turns out to decrease lifespan of humans that still wouldnt mean it is toxic, just that the changes it causes arent any good long term.

In my opinion it causes changes that are very tricky because they have the potential to extend or either shorten lifespan.

I would like to know if there are any members here that have tried both Deprenyl and Wellbutrin and how they compare in the realm of focus and concentration.  

#5 medievil

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

;)

I would like to know if there are any members here that have tried both Deprenyl and Wellbutrin and how they compare in the realm of focus and concentration.  

I was also looking for an alternative, and i my opinion trivastal would be the best option.

Edited by medievil, 05 October 2009 - 07:54 PM.

#6 ultranaut

• 130 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

My first month on Wellbutrin I was flying high. 4 hours of sleep a night, one meal a day, I felt awesome for every second of it. Then it started to fade out a bit and went back to healthier eating and sleeping habits. I think my libido is still boosted, sleeping less than 8 hours still has less effect on me than it used to, and I have not returned to my cigarette addiction. I never felt my focus or concentration was noticeably improved, if anything all of the energy and the libido boost made it easier to become distracted.

Deprenyl I have only taken since I began Wellbutrin. It's generally not been very noticeable, when it is it's had minimal effect. For me it's a lot like I've taken a stim for a few hours and then it fades out, but unlike an amphetamine or methylphenidrate it's much more "playful" the entire time. A few hours of being active followed by some kind of comedic movie is perfect. A few hours sitting in a chair working on something serious, it's not really conducive to that. In other words, if you need to "focus and concentrate" while on a date it could be somewhat useful.

#7 medievil

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

There also was a studie showing increased mortality in humans, i know some ppl debunk this with possible theories but the fact still is that we dont know. Deprenyl messes around with too many things. Everyone should be more carefull with this compound.

#8 ultranaut

• 130 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

There also was a studie showing increased mortality in humans, i know some ppl debunk this with possible theories but the fact still is that we dont know. Deprenyl messes around with too many things. Everyone should be more carefull with this compound.

I'm not sure what more careful is? It seems like anyone who gets as far as ordering deprenyl on the internet or getting a doctor to prescribe them some has done the research already and knows what they are getting themselves into. Unless new studies come out or we start seeing significant anecdotal reports then there really isn't a whole lot new to discuss about deprenyl. There are probably tens of thousands of people taking it every day without apparent negative consequence, maybe even hundreds of thousands now that it's approved in the US as a treatment for depression. As far as possible risks compared to possible benefits go, I think it is an easy decision.

#9 medievil

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

I'm not sure what more careful is? It seems like anyone who gets as far as ordering deprenyl on the internet or getting a doctor to prescribe them some has done the research already and knows what they are getting themselves into. Unless new studies come out or we start seeing significant anecdotal reports then there really isn't a whole lot new to discuss about deprenyl. There are probably tens of thousands of people taking it every day without apparent negative consequence, maybe even hundreds of thousands now that it's approved in the US as a treatment for depression. As far as possible risks compared to possible benefits go, I think it is an easy decision.

I wouldnt touch any drug that could decrease my lifespan, even if it makes me high 24/7, offcourse we wont see anything even if a million ppl are taking it because you cant notice a decrease in lifespan...
Deprenyl isnt toxic, thats for sure, and to be honest i was about to order deprenyl before knowing all this, and i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one as its being suggested on alot websites as a good antidepressant etc...

#10 rautavaara

• 15 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

;)

The dosge might be the answer...

Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006 May;1067:375-82
The necessity of having a proper dose of (-)deprenyl (D) to prolong the life spans of rats explains discrepancies among different studies in the past.
Kitani K, Kanai S, Miyasaka K, Carrillo MC, Ivy GO.

National Institute for Longevity Sciences, Morioka-cho, Obu-shi, Aichi, Japan. kitani@nils.go.jp

(-)Deprenyl (D) has been shown to be effective in prolonging life span in experimental animals, although, there are some discrepancies in its effect on the life span the even within the same species (rats). The present study aims to clarify the reason for these discrepancies. Male F344/DuCrj rats began receiving subcutaneous (s.c.) injections of D at the age of 18 months. Doses used were 0.25, 0.50, and 1.0 mg/kg/injection (inj.), three times a week. Average life spans of animals were significantly longer in male rats given 0.25 and 0.5 mg/kg/inj.; however, rats given a 1.0 mg/kg dose began dying earlier than control rats, leading to an inverse U-shaped dose-efficacy relationship, a hormesis. Old (27-month-old) rats given different doses of D for 1 month showed a typical hormetic response for antioxidant enzyme activities, indicating a significant increase in superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) activities in brain dopaminergic regions with four lower doses (0.25 to 2 mg/kg/inj., 3 times a week), but a significantly negative response with the highest dose (4 mg/kg/inj.). Our results clearly indicate that a proper dose of D within a certain dose range can significantly increase the life span of rats, but that a greater dose becomes less effective and may actually adversely affect the life span of rats. A similar hormetic response for its effect on antioxidant enzyme activities and the parallel between the two different effects of D suggest a possible causal relationship between these two effects of D. The presence of this effective dose range of D may explain previously reported discrepancies in the effect of D on the life span of animals.

PMID: 16804014

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 medievil

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

Ok thank you, just a few more question:
18months age of rats, what age would that be for humans? Just wonna know wheter it would be safe to use as a young person.

What would a safe and a dangerous dose be for humans?

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users