Photo
- - - - -

Utilizing nootropics to make college work

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 qwerty3

• 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:01 AM

Sometime ago I had the misfortune of experimenting with DXM. Since that time I have experienced a great many disturbing symptoms, which have limited my ability to function. In time many of those symptoms dissipated, but while my rational faculties have somewhat rebounded I find I am still struggling on a daily basis with many of the limitations of my drug-addled brain. Notably, I frequently cannot recall people's names - people introduce themselves and I forget their names less than a minute later. Often I run into people who I have met numerous times, but I still cannot remember their names. In addition, I will sometimes miss obvious social cues, which has gotten me into some pretty ridiculous situations. I cannot seem to sit down and read any of my textbooks unless it is the day before the test. It is important to note that I have ADD and do take amphetamines to help me cope with my symptoms, but they do nothing for my terrible memory and usually they are insufficient for me to be productive. I have begun experimenting with the racetams, together with choline bitartrate, gingko biloba, and l-tyrosine, but so far my experiments have yielded mostly brain fog. I have discovered that it is disastrous for me to mix the racetams with my medication, as that simply results in consciousness-obliterating brain fog. I am wondering if perhaps I need a better, more bioavailable source of choline such as CDP-choline in order for the racetams to yield any benefits? I am also wondering what other options exist, because I am really, truly at my wits end. I need appreciable results and soon, because I need to keep my grades decent. I am also running out of funds. I am not expecting any of the current nootropics to work wonders, but I need for my workload and socializing to be manageable. How long will it be before the more potent ampakines hit the market? I do not need to be a genius to pass my courses, but without any improvement in my condition I'm afraid I'm some point in the not-too-distant future I'll just have to drop out. Please advise.

#2 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:23 AM

I don't know much about DXM, but CDP-choline works pretty well for brain-fog.
In fact, perhaps you should try taking just the CDP-choline, before adding the piracetam. It should help with the memory and stuff.

Oh, hey. Welcome to ImmInst!

Edited by rwac, 11 October 2009 - 01:24 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 SYNTAX

• 47 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:47 AM

Sometime ago I had the misfortune of experimenting with DXM. Since that time I have experienced a great many disturbing symptoms, which have limited my ability to function. In time many of those symptoms dissipated, but while my rational faculties have somewhat rebounded I find I am still struggling on a daily basis with many of the limitations of my drug-addled brain. Notably, I frequently cannot recall people's names - people introduce themselves and I forget their names less than a minute later. Often I run into people who I have met numerous times, but I still cannot remember their names. In addition, I will sometimes miss obvious social cues, which has gotten me into some pretty ridiculous situations. I cannot seem to sit down and read any of my textbooks unless it is the day before the test. It is important to note that I have ADD and do take amphetamines to help me cope with my symptoms, but they do nothing for my terrible memory and usually they are insufficient for me to be productive. I have begun experimenting with the racetams, together with choline bitartrate, gingko biloba, and l-tyrosine, but so far my experiments have yielded mostly brain fog. I have discovered that it is disastrous for me to mix the racetams with my medication, as that simply results in consciousness-obliterating brain fog. I am wondering if perhaps I need a better, more bioavailable source of choline such as CDP-choline in order for the racetams to yield any benefits? I am also wondering what other options exist, because I am really, truly at my wits end. I need appreciable results and soon, because I need to keep my grades decent. I am also running out of funds. I am not expecting any of the current nootropics to work wonders, but I need for my workload and socializing to be manageable. How long will it be before the more potent ampakines hit the market? I do not need to be a genius to pass my courses, but without any improvement in my condition I'm afraid I'm some point in the not-too-distant future I'll just have to drop out. Please advise.

Before I started taking my health seriously, I took dxm quite a few times. If you can, you should exercise. Take it seriously. If you run, wear quality footwear. I've found that piracetam and every other racetam works best when you can already focus. Rigorous daily exercise for an hour taught me how to focus.

Take your diet seriously. Sometimes processed foods cause sluggishness. I have very overwhelming ADHD and if i over eat, drink alcohol, or forgo excercise, things like aniracetam are of no use to me.

dwelling on regret concerning dxm may worsen the deficits you've mentioned. Read up on meditation. Yoga may also help you kinda streamline your attention. This is all just my opinion, but I can relate to how you are feeling, and I have used these things to remedy basically everything you speak of. It took time.

Oh yeah! About taking amphetamines: those have always make my ADHD worse (I've been on almost every add/ADHD drug for some length of time since age 5.

They aren't longterm aids, BUT- until you start feeling more balanced, you might want to try Focalin as a cleaner alternative to adderall. Focalin is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, whereas adderall primarily releases more dopamine. I am on my phone so I can't check pubmed right now, but my personal experience has been that focalin provided focus and calmness, and amph. caused overexcitedness, unfocused impulsivity.

#4 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

Man, I hit the tussin pretty hard back in the day. Not sure how much damage it did though :(.

Still, I'm performing better mentally than I ever have so perhaps everything's ok. They say the brain is very resilient, and with all the dirty home made chemicals that have been introduced into mine, there has to be some truth in it.

#5 qwerty3

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

I was exercising quite regularly (every day, sometimes twice a day) until I switched from Focalin to Vyvanse. Now I'm trying to get my exercise regimen back on track. In any case, I'm thinking considering I'm low on cash I should just order some CDP-Choline and try it by itself and then add the racetams back on to my stack? I figure if I can get my productivity levels up high enough I'll be able to manage a job in addition to school which will give me the cash flow to really try out different stacks. I'm also wondering if perhaps heavy metals or something were in my system that caused me to have such an exaggerated reaction? Because in all honesty I only did the drug half a dozen times, all of which are nearly three years in the past. Thanks for the advice.

#6 SYNTAX

• 47 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

I was exercising quite regularly (every day, sometimes twice a day) until I switched from Focalin to Vyvanse. Now I'm trying to get my exercise regimen back on track. In any case, I'm thinking considering I'm low on cash I should just order some CDP-Choline and try it by itself and then add the racetams back on to my stack? I figure if I can get my productivity levels up high enough I'll be able to manage a job in addition to school which will give me the cash flow to really try out different stacks. I'm also wondering if perhaps heavy metals or something were in my system that caused me to have such an exaggerated reaction? Because in all honesty I only did the drug half a dozen times, all of which are nearly three years in the past. Thanks for the advice.

if you aren't a smoker, maybe try 1/4 of a 21mg nicotine patch if you need a boost in feeling well. I don't use them too often but it seems to be great for getting your shit together and just studying for several hours without feeling like shit.

#7 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:21 AM

I'd try CDP-Choline. I get great results, while getting so-so from other choline sources. The memory issues could be from lack of acetylcholine in the brain. Get a high quality fish oil. I'd suggest some Acetyl-L-Carnitine as well. I'd leave out the racetams for now. Piracetam is very unpredictable for me. Sometimes I notice a nice effect, but more often, just brain fog.

To recap, you should get some results in a few weeks (IMO) with steady use of:

CDP-Choline
Fish Oil
acetyl-l-caritine

#8 qwerty3

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

I have most definitely noticed some positive effects from the racetams, but I believe they would be more effective with CDP-choline. Can you recommend a supplier or do I have turn to the Supplier discussion subforum?

#9 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:07 PM

I have most definitely noticed some positive effects from the racetams, but I believe they would be more effective with CDP-choline. Can you recommend a supplier or do I have turn to the Supplier discussion subforum?

I'd go with Jarrows or Healthy Origins from iherb.com

#10 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:46 AM

I'd try CDP-Choline. I get great results, while getting so-so from other choline sources. The memory issues could be from lack of acetylcholine in the brain. Get a high quality fish oil. I'd suggest some Acetyl-L-Carnitine as well. I'd leave out the racetams for now. Piracetam is very unpredictable for me. Sometimes I notice a nice effect, but more often, just brain fog.

CDP-Choline
Fish Oil
acetyl-l-caritine

I got my fish oil liquid 1300mg omega in each teaspoon. Been on it for 2 days and so far i have allready felt better in regards to depression and social anxiety. So far so good, god willing it will continue.

/Nito

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 SYNTAX

• 47 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:06 AM

CDP-Choline
Fish Oil
acetyl-l-caritine

I got my fish oil liquid 1300mg omega in each teaspoon. Been on it for 2 days and so far i have allready felt better in regards to depression and social anxiety. So far so good, god willing it will continue.

/Nito

L-Carnitine liquid by NOW SPORTS always puts me in a good mood. It's a physical energy boost in my experience, not a cognitive enhancer - but it doesn't add mental fog. I take it when I need to study all night. It is not caffiene-like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users