Photo
- - - - -

Cocaine/Stimulant Abuse & Dependency Recovery

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Psych

• 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:27 AM

Any suggestions or comments about effective supplements to counter or reduce negative effects of long-term cocaine use? What regimens might help?

#2 SYNTAX

• 47 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:19 AM

Any suggestions or comments about effective supplements to counter or reduce negative effects of long-term cocaine use? What regimens might help?

Please name the specific "negative effects" that you attribute to long-term cocaine use.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Psych

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:45 AM

Please name the specific "negative effects" that you attribute to long-term cocaine use.

Withdrawal effects such as fatigue and low energy, reduced concentration, possible cardiac complications...

#4 SYNTAX

• 47 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:12 AM

Withdrawal effects such as fatigue and low energy, reduced concentration, possible cardiac complications...

Go see your doctor and get a nuclear heart scan. don't load your system with supplements that may exacerbate heart problems. and if you're serious about it, go get it checked out asap.

lots of chemicals that fight fatigue may affect blood pressure and heart rate, something that may contribute to a heart issue.

it's a slippery slope man. I'd say take piracetam and alcar+r-ala

#5 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

My understanding is that very little can be done at the clinical level. Its a very bad move to mess with a dopamine pathway its a very strange neuro-transmitter.

I presume by this that no matter what you do you will still more or less feel the same way, dopamine drugs have been touted but haven't been successful. Support groups I think will be what is recommended by your physician.

I think its the only dependency where there isn't pharmaceutical alternatives. Amphetamine dependency has wide ranging pharmaceutical support, e.g. for the anxiety attacks they'd prescribe busiperone etc... there's a lot.

If thats the case at the clinical level there ain't anything at this level that would help. Mess with anything else there is always an exit strategy if things go wrong.

Better to quit.

#6 Psych

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:04 PM

My understanding is that very little can be done at the clinical level. Its a very bad move to mess with a dopamine pathway its a very strange neuro-transmitter.

I presume by this that no matter what you do you will still more or less feel the same way, dopamine drugs have been touted but haven't been successful. Support groups I think will be what is recommended by your physician.

I think its the only dependency where there isn't pharmaceutical alternatives. Amphetamine dependency has wide ranging pharmaceutical support, e.g. for the anxiety attacks they'd prescribe busiperone etc... there's a lot.

If thats the case at the clinical level there ain't anything at this level that would help. Mess with anything else there is always an exit strategy if things go wrong.

Better to quit.

So what you're suggesting is that any pharmaceuticals OR "natural" substances (OTC supplements) which affect dopamine levels will have no clinically significant impact? What specific targeted symptoms are you talking about related to dopamine "pathways"?

#7 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

To be honest I've absolutely no idea at all on symptoms.

Perhaps fatigue, concerntration and anhedonia - just guessing, i.e. the opposite of what dopamine is involved in - although concerntration is also norephinephrine.

Any clinical practictioners book will give this answer. A few dopamine based drugs have been tried - I forget which, probably D2/D3 anatagonists - but there are no recommendation except to recommend a support group.

In body building stimulating dopamine production is important because for D2 receptors it effects the androgens (ultimately boosting test) and generally it is linked to the release of growth hormone. Their supplements are B6, Ldopa (Mucana puriens) and they might use a D2 antagonist.

Edited by matthias7, 13 October 2009 - 09:28 PM.

#8 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

I'd better add stimulants are not addictive.

You'll just feel fatigue and a lower level of concerntration, which you can recover with alot of different approaches such adrenal fatigue programs e.g. Rhodiola, tyrosine that sort of thing. There are loads of approaches to getting more norephinephrine production.

Its CNS penetration that causes the problems and stims can't do that ... ephedrine possibly but not a lot.

#9 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

I'd better add stimulants are not addictive.

You'll just feel fatigue and a lower level of concerntration, which you can recover with alot of different approaches such adrenal fatigue programs e.g. Rhodiola, tyrosine that sort of thing. There are loads of approaches to getting more norephinephrine production.

Its CNS penetration that causes the problems and stims can't do that ... ephedrine possibly but not a lot.

#10 Psych

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

To be honest I've absolutely no idea at all on symptoms.

Perhaps fatigue, concerntration and anhedonia - just guessing, i.e. the opposite of what dopamine is involved in - although concerntration is also norephinephrine.

Any clinical practictioners book will give this answer. A few dopamine based drugs have been tried - I forget which, probably D2/D3 anatagonists - but there are no recommendation except to recommend a support group.

In body building stimulating dopamine production is important because for D2 receptors it effects the androgens (ultimately boosting test) and generally it is linked to the release of growth hormone. Their supplements are B6, Ldopa (Mucana puriens) and they might use a D2 antagonist.

Thanks a lot for you thoughtful and knowledgeable comments and suggestions; much appreciated!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:21 PM

I thought this subject has been covered on here a few times. Sure you'll find help if you search a bit in this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users