Photo
- - - - -

Deprenyl - note on MAO-B inhibitors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 macdog

• 137 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:08 AM

I hear a lot of talk about using deprnyl on here, and I just wanted to note that MAO-B inhibitors are frequently contra-indicated by other medication. many psychiatrists look for other option before turning to MAO-B inhibitors because of the inherent risks. Anyone in an emergency situation who might otherwise feel cagey about telling a doctor what they take should absolutely mention that they are taking deprenyl. Any MAO-B inhibitor taken with a dopamine agonist such as MDMA, LSD, cocaine, methamphetamines radically increases the risks of serotonin toxicity. Serotonin toxicity is an increasing cause of drug related deaths and caution should be used.

#2 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 01:11 PM

I agree, not with the science per se, but the message. Deprenyl is safer than most MAOI's. And MAO-B inhibitors are generally a lot safer than MAO-A or nonselective inhibitors. But you should still be really careful about combining it with other drugs, especially recreational ones.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cygnus

• 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 04:29 PM

I agree with shpongled, deprenyl is something to be very careful with combining with recreational substances. It has the ability to potentiate the experiences greatly (personal experiences with LSD and 2C-B).

The neurotoxicity common related to recreational drug usage is often related to higher than normal levels of dopamine being metabolized by MAO-B. By taking an inhibitor you reduce your risk of neurotoxicity but increase the effectiveness of the compound.

• Lurker

Posted 28 April 2004 - 06:54 PM

Does Deprenyl increase the effectiveness of some nootropics? I know very little about Deprenyl so I'm curious as to it's effects.

#5 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 07:13 AM

I've noticed a "enhanced" effect of Deprenyl on Hydergine, Piracetam and Pyritinol. More so in the alertness and mental energy areas.

Sorry for the long vacation but I'm back.

• Lurker

Posted 29 April 2004 - 01:32 PM

Welcome back, I was waiting for someone of your knowledge and experience to return. I'd just like to say that your past threads I read in archive were very informative.

#7 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:09 PM

Does Deprenyl increase the effectiveness of some nootropics? I know very little about Deprenyl so I'm curious as to it's effects.

Some nootropics increase the amount of some of the neurotransmitters that MAO-B helps metabolize, but probably not to a large enough extent for a significant interaction, although it is possible. However, they may independently have an additive effect with one another.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 xgrouper

• 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 01:30 AM

DEPRENYL MAO-B INHIBITOR EXTRAORDINAIRE

By 1971 Knoll had shown that DPR was a unique kind of MAO inhibitor - a selective MAO-B inhibitor, without the cheese effect. To fully appreciate what this means, some technical background is necessary.

Some of the most important neurotransmitters in the brain are the monoamine (MA) transmitters: serotonin, dopamine and noradrenalin. After being secreted into the synaptic gap, where one neuron connects to another, many to the transmitter molecules are reabsorbed by the secreting neuron and then disposed of by enzymes called monoamine oxidases (MAO). This prevents excessive levels of transmitters from accumulating in the synaptic gap and over-amping the brain. However, with aging MAO activity significantly increases in the human brain, often to the point of severely depressing necessary levels of MA transmitters. (1) In the 1950s the first antidepressant drugs to be developed were MAO inhibitors (MAOI). By the 1960s however, MAOIs began to drop out of medical use due to a dangerous side-effect - the so-called cheese effect. When most MOIs are used in people consuming a diet rich in a substance called tyramine, a dangerous, even fatal, high blood pressure crisis can be triggered. Tyramine is found in many foods, including aged cheeses, some wines, beans, yeast products, chicken liver and pickled herring, to name just a few. (23)

By 1968, further research had shown that there were two types of MAO-A and B. It is primarily intestinal MAO-A that digests incoming tyramine. Most of the MAOIs that have been used clinically inhibit both MAO-A and MAO-B, thus setting up the danger of the cheese effect by inhibiting intestinal and brain MAO-A, allowing toxic tyramine levels to accumulate. DPR is unique among clinically used MAO-Is. At normally used clinical dosages (10-15 mg/day), DPR is a selective MAO-B inhibitor, so it doesnt prevent intestinal MAO-A from digesting dietary tyramine.(1) In addition, DPR has the unique ability to prevent tyramine from getting into noradrenalin-using nerve calls, and its only when tyramine enters noradrenalin nerve cells that control arterial blood pressure that it triggers the cheese effect. (1) DPR thus has a dual safety lock in preventing the cheese effect, making it far safer than other MAOIs. At doses over 20-30 mg/day, however, DPR does start to significantly inhibit MAO-A , so there is some risk of the cheese effect at these higher (rarely clinically used) doses. (1)

MAO-A enzymes break down serotonin (5-HT) and noradrenalin (NA), and to a lesser extent dopamine (DA). MAO-B breaks down DA and the traceamine phenylethylamine (PEA). At doses of 5-10 mg per day DPR will inhibit MAO-B about 90%. (1) It was initially presumed that DPR would increase synaptic levels of DA in DA-using neurons, and this lead to its use to treat Parkinsons disease in the late 1970s, Alzheimers disease in the 1980s-90s, and depression starting in the late 1970s. In his 1983 paper on the history of DPRs clinical benefits to its unique MAO-B effects. (1)

Yet many experts have questioned whether DPRs MAO-B inhibition can significantly increase synaptic DA levels. (14,15) This is due to the fact that MAO-B is found only in glial cells in the human brain, non-nerve cells that support, surround and feed the brains billions of neurons. (1) And whether there is any exchange of DA between these glial cells and the DA-using neurons is still an unanswered question. It is commonly believed that it is MAO-A in DA neurons that breaks DA down. By the 1990s Knoll believed he had discovered the real basis of DPRs being a MAO-B inhibitor. (2)

Yet as will be made clear shortly, even if DPRs originally hypothesized mode of action - directly increasing synaptic DA levels through MAO-B inhibition - is false, DPRs MAO-B inhibition still provides part of its benefit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users