Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

LEF's Mitochondrial Function and Cognitex Brain Cell Function

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 03:16 AM

as part of LEF's anti-aging marketing and sales thingy, they sell two products: Mitochondrial Function and Cognitex/Brain Cell Function.

Both products are pretty expensive even though they do drop a little if your a member and buy in 4x lots however, I'm hoping that someone on these boards would have some knowledge of alternative products that perform the same action and of course are cheaper...

many thanks.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:10 AM

as part of LEF's anti-aging marketing and sales thingy, they sell two products: Mitochondrial Function and Cognitex/Brain Cell Function.

Both products are pretty expensive even though they do drop a little if your a member and buy in 4x lots however, I'm hoping that someone on these boards would have some knowledge of alternative products that perform the same action and of course are cheaper...

Serving Size 4 capsules

Servings Per Container 30

Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5’-phosphate)..............100 mg
Carnosine......................................................1000 mg
Acetyl-L-carnitine arginate dihydrochloride.........700 mg
Benfotiamine...................................................150 mg
R-Lipoic Acid (as microencapsulated Na-RALA)...150 mg
Luteolin (high purity luteolin as Pureolin™).............8 mg

Price is $86.00 to $58.50 for 30 servings, ranging from nonmember, 1 bottle to member, 4 bottles. Pretty expensive.

For my money, I take 1g of Carnosine and 1g of ALCAR (not arginate) per day. I've dropped benfotiamine over health concerns that Michael raised. Lipoic Acid doesn't entirely agree with me (seems to cause orthostatic hypotension) and I have lingering paranoia over the controversial rat CR study. Luteolin I don't know much about. As far as mitochondrial energy, the ALCAR is the bulk of it, though the RALA is also helpful. The B6, Benfotiamine, Carnosine, and to some extent the ALCAR (though perhaps not arginate?) are anti-glycation agents. Are they all necessary? I don't know, but lean toward not. At least some amount of anti-glycation compounds are a good idea, but the first line of defense should probably be keeping your blood sugar under control by avoiding high GI carbs, and keeping exogenous AGEs down by avoidance of overly-heated foods.

This is an expensive, kitchen-sink supplement. I think that you can cover most of the effects with Carnosine, ALCAR, maybe some RALA. Benfotiamine is cheap if you want to take it. P5P is not a bad compound; I stopped using high dose B6 for a while when I experienced some (now resolved) peripheral neuropathy, but I suspect that was due to malabsorption and not the B6 I was using at the time. I'll probably pick it up again, though perhaps at a lower dose than used here.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 porthose

• Topic Starter
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

Serving Size 4 capsules

Servings Per Container 30

Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5’-phosphate)..............100 mg
Carnosine......................................................1000 mg
Acetyl-L-carnitine arginate dihydrochloride.........700 mg
Benfotiamine...................................................150 mg
R-Lipoic Acid (as microencapsulated Na-RALA)...150 mg
Luteolin (high purity luteolin as Pureolin™).............8 mg

Price is $86.00 to $58.50 for 30 servings, ranging from nonmember, 1 bottle to member, 4 bottles. Pretty expensive.

For my money, I take 1g of Carnosine and 1g of ALCAR (not arginate) per day. I've dropped benfotiamine over health concerns that Michael raised. Lipoic Acid doesn't entirely agree with me (seems to cause orthostatic hypotension) and I have lingering paranoia over the controversial rat CR study. Luteolin I don't know much about. As far as mitochondrial energy, the ALCAR is the bulk of it, though the RALA is also helpful. The B6, Benfotiamine, Carnosine, and to some extent the ALCAR (though perhaps not arginate?) are anti-glycation agents. Are they all necessary? I don't know, but lean toward not. At least some amount of anti-glycation compounds are a good idea, but the first line of defense should probably be keeping your blood sugar under control by avoiding high GI carbs, and keeping exogenous AGEs down by avoidance of overly-heated foods.

This is an expensive, kitchen-sink supplement. I think that you can cover most of the effects with Carnosine, ALCAR, maybe some RALA. Benfotiamine is cheap if you want to take it. P5P is not a bad compound; I stopped using high dose B6 for a while when I experienced some (now resolved) peripheral neuropathy, but I suspect that was due to malabsorption and not the B6 I was using at the time. I'll probably pick it up again, though perhaps at a lower dose than used here.

mate, thats brilliant. thank you very much.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#4 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:55 AM

Not sure that carnosine is better (and possible worse) than beta-alanine into which (+histidine) carnosine is quickly degraded in blood. Beta-alanine seems to be the limiting nutrient for carnosine synthesis in the tissues and taking beta-alanine increases at least muscle carnosine. See the several other threads regarding possible problems with carnosine/beta-alanine. Assuming that the body provides the histidine you need only a beta-alanine dose of 30-40% of the carnosine dose. For example this should last many years if taking 300-400mg to match the 1g carnosine in the LEF formulation (which may or may not be a good amount):
http://www.iherb.com...6-oz/10940?at=0

Edited by Blue, 21 October 2009 - 11:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users