- - - - -

Effects of insomia on the brain "cured"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:18 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/8315818.stm

"the memory of these sleep-deprived mice improved with a drug which inhibits a certain enzyme"

"Analysis found these mice had increased levels of the enzyme PDE4"

-------------------------------------------------------------

Selective PDE4 inhibitors according to the high quality resource that is wikipedia. May its trustworthiness and accuracy live on:

• Mesembrine, an alkaloid from the herb Sceletium tortuosum
  • Rolipram, used as investigative tool in pharmacological research
  • Ibudilast, a neuroprotective and bronchodilator drug used mainly in the treatment of asthma and stroke. It inhibits PDE4 to the greatest extent, but also shows significant inhibition of other PDE subtypes, and so acts as a selective PDE4 inhibitor or a non-selective phosphodiesterase inhibitor, depending on the dose.
  • Pentoxifylline, a drug that has the potential to enhance circulation and may have applicability in treatment of diabetes, fibrotic disorders, peripheral nerve damage, and microvascular injuries
  • Piclamilast, a more potent inhibitor than rolipram as reported somewhere.

#2 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:26 AM

"the memory of these sleep-deprived mice improved with a drug which inhibits a certain enzyme"

Selective PDE4 inhibitors according to the high quality resource that is wikipedia. May its trustworthiness and accuracy live on:

• Ibudilast, a neuroprotective and bronchodilator drug used mainly in the treatment of asthma and stroke. It inhibits PDE4 to the greatest extent, but also shows significant inhibition of other PDE subtypes, and so acts as a selective PDE4 inhibitor or a non-selective phosphodiesterase inhibitor, depending on the dose.
  • Pentoxifylline, a drug that has the potential to enhance circulation and may have applicability in treatment of diabetes, fibrotic disorders, peripheral nerve damage, and microvascular injuries

Interesting! I've never heard of Sceletium Tortuosum. I wonder what info I can dig up.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

supa-bump!

has anyone had any experience with kanna/sceletium tortuosum? this is the first time i've ever heard of it. from the looks of it, it seems to be the only PDE-4 inhibitor commercially available to the masses. the wiki only sites 3 studies. was anyone else able to come up with anything on it?

#4 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

supa-bump!

has anyone had any experience with kanna/sceletium tortuosum? this is the first time i've ever heard of it. from the looks of it, it seems to be the only PDE-4 inhibitor commercially available to the masses. the wiki only sites 3 studies. was anyone else able to come up with anything on it?

I actually have a moderate amount of experience with Kanna, having taken it in the past hoping to alleviate my dysthymia and low energy. I have to say that all it ever did was make me feel dizzy and uncoordinated, to a greater or lesser degree depending on the dosage. I experimented with a broad range of dosages, so this was not the problem. I also tested it on two friends and they had similar effects.

It's possible that my product was of low quality, it was a Kanna 5x extract though, so I would expect it to be potent enough.

#5 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

I actually have a moderate amount of experience with Kanna, having taken it in the past hoping to alleviate my dysthymia and low energy. I have to say that all it ever did was make me feel dizzy and uncoordinated, to a greater or lesser degree depending on the dosage. I experimented with a broad range of dosages, so this was not the problem. I also tested it on two friends and they had similar effects.

It's possible that my product was of low quality, it was a Kanna 5x extract though, so I would expect it to be potent enough.

what brand was it? have you ever tried this African Red Tea?

http://www.africanre...-sceletium.html

#6 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

Is that one supposed to be better?

#7 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

Its called Kanna. It ain't only PDE4 inhibitor, it does other stuff (sides).

This report is well out of hand. Test those mice in maze before and after treatment on sleep deprivation and I might start to believe it. Give them an exam. Let me write a manuscript, do research, solve some equations.

In "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" its meaningful (mice the most intelligent beings).

Interesting! I've never heard of Sceletium Tortuosum. I wonder what info I can dig up.

#8 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:24 AM

I take Kanna on occasion. I take it only on occasion because I found that a tolerance quickly builds. So once in awhile I'll take 200mg.
The effects on mood and energy are incredible, and kind of feels like a low dose of psilocybin. One downside is that it makes me very uncoordinated. I get mine from the root of the matter

Edited by spaceistheplace, 31 October 2009 - 01:28 AM.

#9 survival

• 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Im really interest in these PE Inhibitors. I checked online and i remember seeing forskolin as a PE4 inhibitor and icariin as a pe5 and pe6 inhibitor.

IM not sure but from what i understand, the more we are awake some chemical builds up in our brain and thats why we get sleepy
thats why caffeine keeps us awake, because adenosine builds up every hour to cause sleepiness, but instead caffeine attatches to the adenosine receptors where the adenosine was supposed to attach and therefore the body dosent get the signal your tired, basicly sleepiness is just the brains response to the body to tell us we are getting tired but my question is what is it that is making us tired? what is happening to our bodys at the cellular-molecular level? and why does pde4 increase when you dont sleep? and would increasing cAMP reduce need for sleep? and what increases cAMP?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:20 AM

So if you drink one cup of this tea do you notice any pronounced effects? Or do you recommend the powder instead to make your own tea? Do please elaborate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users